Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barristicide
Sep 2, 2012

Down With People posted:

I noticed that someone's done a *World hack that looks pretty comprehensive.

Hey, I wrote that! I've been tinkering with it on and off for quite a while now. In the current edition every playbook has Juncture Moves for every appropriate Juncture, and about nine or ten Moves to pick from (instead of just six).

If you actually use it, I would love to hear how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Night10194 posted:

It's funny, Huan Ken is supposed to be a Bad Guy and all, but he's just so ridiculous, energetic, and fun that he always ends up being someone my PCs want to pal around with at Pinballhala. He's the only Monarch any of us really remember or use.

I'm also finding that EXP wise it's really kind of annoying to play an Ex-Special Forces as dual Martial Arts and Guns. It works out awesome in stunts to be just as good with a combat knife, fists, and feet as your pistol and rifle, and it definitely fits with trying to be similar to John Rambo, but it cost a ton of EXP to get MA up to a decent level and a lot to keep them both high, especially as they both key off a different stat.

Sounds like you need to capture minor Feng Shui sites that give bonus AV, which is more bang for your buck.

And yeah, Huan Ken is great. Then again all the npcs associated with the Thunder Pagoda are great. Roman Soldier dedicated to establishing Rome's greatness once more, Leslie Lau who ended up in the Netherworld due to a mishap with his invention that was supposed to eat pollution, Kung Fu College of Cardinals.

Speaking of him, the party is receiving help from Leslie Lau to find a way to neutralize some of Kun Chau's more not nice aspects to stop him. I think he replaced the professor for now, which is fine since all the Dragons are supposedly dead due to the Battle of the Molten Heart, which Huan Ken was not happy about that since he wasn't invited to that battle at all.

They are also allying with the Lotus, and the party enjoyed how Gao Zheng wasn't outright evil but Machiavellian. If they survive, they'll be surprised when they receive a very special Lotus Mark of Debt from him. Then back to fighting scene chewing, cackling evil eunuch sorcerers.

Then again, the Lotus Eaters are my favorite faction in this game.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Night10194 posted:

It's funny, Huan Ken is supposed to be a Bad Guy and all, but he's just so ridiculous, energetic, and fun that he always ends up being someone my PCs want to pal around with at Pinballhala. He's the only Monarch any of us really remember or use.

I'm also finding that EXP wise it's really kind of annoying to play an Ex-Special Forces as dual Martial Arts and Guns. It works out awesome in stunts to be just as good with a combat knife, fists, and feet as your pistol and rifle, and it definitely fits with trying to be similar to John Rambo, but it cost a ton of EXP to get MA up to a decent level and a lot to keep them both high, especially as they both key off a different stat.

Playing Ex-special forces I tend to find it's better to play guns with the occasional utility fu schtick instead, yeah. Like eyes of darkness+ 4 guns schticks to be a sniper who can shoot out the lights and still gun down mooks with perfect accuracy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've been using Willow Step to great effect, because being able to spend Chi to get my defense AV up by 2 without losing shots is awesome. I finally got MA up to 15, and as much as it wasn't really an optimal way to go it's a hell of a lot of fun to be able to switch from blowing people away to standing unarmed in a field of mooks and disarming, countering, and disabling them with their own weapons.

I think that's one thing I like a lot about Feng Shui. You start out really powerful, so you have a lot of room to build in new directions instead of having to constantly hit the one thing you started out specialized in like in something like D&D.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Night10194 posted:

Hong Kong Cinema is full of bitter, regretful fights between close friends. Maybe it's time to start a storyline in which he returns to the real world and claim his rightful place as one true ruler of the planet?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So any word on the playtest?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sometimes, you have a kung-fu fight with an ex-squadmate from Vietnam who has been turned into a polish cyborg ninja by the Ascended, on top of a flying Catalina Flying Boat, and you remember why Feng Shui is the best game.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

So any word on the playtest?

Not as far as I know.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Robin Laws' been making small mentions of him working on it on Google+ once in a while, but still no word on the next round of playtests.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 13, 2014

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Barristicide posted:

Hey, I wrote that! I've been tinkering with it on and off for quite a while now. In the current edition every playbook has Juncture Moves for every appropriate Juncture, and about nine or ten Moves to pick from (instead of just six).

If you actually use it, I would love to hear how it goes.

Just to crosspost from the Apocalypse World thread, I ran a wildly successful one shot of your hack the other day. Everyone loved it and we all had loads of fun. I'd love to take a look at the current edition, is there a link anywhere?

Barristicide
Sep 2, 2012

Doodmons posted:

Just to crosspost from the Apocalypse World thread, I ran a wildly successful one shot of your hack the other day. Everyone loved it and we all had loads of fun. I'd love to take a look at the current edition, is there a link anywhere?

Here's what I have in presentable format:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7m2zqeuuya9zl03/Shadowfist%201.2%20Playbooks.pdf

It's the same 15 archetypes as before, each with the full spread of Juncture moves and 8-9 other moves (instead of the previous 6). Tiny tweaks to the basic moves, with the newly included drop some knowledge. This document lacks most of the full text that the previous version had. It's really just a playtest pack for personal use.

As always, feedback is welcome and much appreciated!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hot drat just got the playtest docs. :dance:

Once we wrap up this 4e Zeitgeist adventure (within a month I'd say), it's loving ON!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

dwarf74 posted:

Hot drat just got the playtest docs. :dance:

Once we wrap up this 4e Zeitgeist adventure (within a month I'd say), it's loving ON!

Aww, man, all I've got is an email saying "When are they coming", you got my hopes up.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Now all I need is a new playtest group since my last one disintegrated! :downs:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Now all I need is a new playtest group since my last one disintegrated! :downs:
It doesn't seem to specifically exclude pbp, but doesn't really seem to include it either...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't know how well Feng Shui works with PbP, but I don't think a PbP game could be completed by June 10th...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

There is always skype/IRC. :v:

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't know how well Feng Shui works with PbP, but I don't think a PbP game could be completed by June 10th...

Terribly - the shot mechanic for PBP is horrible.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

neonchameleon posted:

Terribly - the shot mechanic for PBP is horrible.
That's too bad, but I can totally see it.

I found it to be pretty phenomenal in play, but dreaded the idea of characters getting too far apart.

In the playtest, I'm loving their approach to attributes so far. Splitting up Attack and Defense is a great move. At least, it seems like it to me so far...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'm still at work how strict is the NDA on the rough draft?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

You are allowed to talk about your involvement in the playtest over social media, although we suggest you talk more about outcomes and experiences rather than specific game mechanics, rules changes, or the content of the playtest document, as these are not final.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
It certainly looks like an upgrade so far. Mechanics have been streamlined, new character types added. I'm going to try to get two or three playtests in, but I may have to recruit from my local game store.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm still at work how strict is the NDA on the rough draft?
Yeah, Evil Mastermind has it. It's very loose, which is nice; less severe by far than the D&D Next playtest was. The rules are Do Not Distribute, too. Still, I'm hoping it's okay to talk in generalities about the stuff - mechanical and otherwise - because it's really pretty exciting.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've only skimmed the doc so far, but I'm not sure how I feel about the Big Setting Change and a few things with archetypes.

e: Just so I don't come off totally negative, I do really like that they fixed the stats and that there are more gun/bow shticks now. Playing a swordsman is actually practical now!

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 14, 2014

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Man, I desperately want to one day run a game where a secretive cabal steals most of the European Feng Shui sites in the modern juncture, and are headed by a metal band that subsequently becomes the fourth largest economy in the world and does stuff like summons lake trolls. The PCs have to fight them and everything explodes into blood.

Y'know, Hong Kong Dethklok.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So far one of my players has demonstrated an uncanny ability to find archetypes with starting statblock errors so at least I'm getting some fixes submitted for the next draft even if she's getting a little frustrated.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've only skimmed the doc so far, but I'm not sure how I feel about the Big Setting Change and a few things with archetypes.

Yeah, I can live with the AD 69 -> 690 change, but I'm not sure how I feel about the Chi-Bomb and the complete transformation of the now 2070s Juncture. I never liked the Architects too much, but I dunno how I feel about a Post-Apocalypse juncture. I guess the who Shadowsun Syndicate thing from Shadowfist would've been pretty generic though.

I was expecting the Buro to still have some holdouts in the Netherworld. Then I read that the Biomass Reprocessing Center in the Inner Kingdom is apparently now a decaying, possibly haunted, ruin. The Buro apparently really are gone (unless you bring them back I suppose). Well, except for some of their tech laying around to be scrounged. 'Cause Helix Rippers are too awesome/horrible to lose forever.

Also amused that 1850 is still 1850, but I guess the 1850s are a lot more interesting (in colonial China) than the 1870s, what with the fermenting Taipeng Rebellion.

At least the Monarchs are still around and Huan Ken is still a Thunder Pope Fratboy who goes drinking and clubbing frequently. Also IKTV upgraded into a net service provided it seems. The Inner Kingdom has Broadband. I hope Pinballhalla is still operating. :allears:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 15, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Has anyone here run a FS game that only uses one juncture and completely ignores the time-travel stuff? I'm sorta considering running a FS game with just the 69 juncture and replacing the time-travel fluff I'm throwing out with stuff cribbed from old kung-fu movies; it's funny how many adventure hooks you can come up with just by assuming that every Shaw Bros. movie takes place in the Feng Shui universe.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nothing stopping you from just using the rules for any kind of action movie-inspired setting. Once upon a time I considered using it for Crimson Skies, and once I did use it to run a Matrix-themed one-shot.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, I can live with the AD 69 -> 690 change, but I'm not sure how I feel about the Chi-Bomb and the complete transformation of the now 2070s Juncture. I never liked the Architects too much, but I dunno how I feel about a Post-Apocalypse juncture. I guess the who Shadowsun Syndicate thing from Shadowfist would've been pretty generic though.

I was expecting the Buro to still have some holdouts in the Netherworld. Then I read that the Biomass Reprocessing Center in the Inner Kingdom is apparently now a decaying, possibly haunted, ruin. The Buro apparently really are gone (unless you bring them back I suppose). Well, except for some of their tech laying around to be scrounged. 'Cause Helix Rippers are too awesome/horrible to lose forever.

Also amused that 1850 is still 1850, but I guess the 1850s are a lot more interesting (in colonial China) than the 1870s, what with the fermenting Taipeng Rebellion.

At least the Monarchs are still around and Huan Ken is still a Thunder Pope Fratboy who goes drinking and clubbing frequently. Also IKTV upgraded into a net service provided it seems. The Inner Kingdom has Broadband. I hope Pinballhalla is still operating. :allears:

I'm pretty indifferent to both changes, actually. Then again, I'm a Feng Shui newbie and only played a few times.

My biggest concern with both changes isn't the settings - both seem cool, both seem adventureable, and I seriously never got into the whole Architects of the Flesh thing. (And I'm very glad nobody in my group got into arcanowave.) Also, I think 690 is a bit more relateable than 69 was.

My concern is that both seem kind of ... is fan-servicey the right word here? Like those of us in the know, with knowledge of the background, understand enough about these events to make them cool. But to a new player just starting out, they are a bit referential to the earlier stuff. I dunno if that makes any sense. Like the new settings are more about the events, process, and logic of getting from 2056->2074 and 69->690 instead of 690 and 2074 themselves.

Anyway, my group is pumped to try the new stuff out, and so am I. The rules look like a major improvement, and regardless of my reservations, the setting still looks amazing.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I wonder how much the move from 69 AD to 690 has to do with wuxia movies (Like the Detective Dee movies and upcoming TV series) recently trying for a more balanced and less "Femme Fatale queen of all evil" portrayal of Wu Zetian. Now she's going up against evil eunuch wizards!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nothing stopping you from just using the rules for any kind of action movie-inspired setting. Once upon a time I considered using it for Crimson Skies, and once I did use it to run a Matrix-themed one-shot.

Nice. Good to know the mechanics aren't too tied in with the setting; I should probably pick this up whenever I can.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So they completely wrote Buro out? Not even any holdouts? Meh. But then, my group seems to be the only one I know of that actually liked them (Even running a Buro campaign once) so I suppose they just weren't popular enough to keep.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Buro aren't bad antagonists, but you have to think outside the box and not confront them directly to take them down (hell, the setting puts the tools to do it right there in front of you), so I guess they're just not as interesting for the game's purposes.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't mind the Buro as antagonists, I just found their Juncture to be underwhelming in terms of making me want to go have kung-fu gunfights there.

To be fair, a post-apocalypse setting doesn't sound super-inspiring either. Maybe what Feng Shui needs is some no-poo poo space opera. Wuxia in space, kung-fu in transforming mecha jet fighters, planetary Feng Shui, etc.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

I'm pretty indifferent to both changes, actually. Then again, I'm a Feng Shui newbie and only played a few times.

My biggest concern with both changes isn't the settings - both seem cool, both seem adventureable, and I seriously never got into the whole Architects of the Flesh thing. (And I'm very glad nobody in my group got into arcanowave.) Also, I think 690 is a bit more relateable than 69 was.

My concern is that both seem kind of ... is fan-servicey the right word here? Like those of us in the know, with knowledge of the background, understand enough about these events to make them cool. But to a new player just starting out, they are a bit referential to the earlier stuff. I dunno if that makes any sense. Like the new settings are more about the events, process, and logic of getting from 2056->2074 and 69->690 instead of 690 and 2074 themselves.

Anyway, my group is pumped to try the new stuff out, and so am I. The rules look like a major improvement, and regardless of my reservations, the setting still looks amazing.

I think that the defense change is hugely positive (and now gives the Thief something in combat - Def 16 FTW!) And the archetype changes and new archetypes almost all look good (the big change I think will be a pain is the keyframe).

As for the background being fan-servicy, 690 I don't think is at all. 2074 is a bit - but a post-apocalyptic Mad Max setting with two groups of sentient gorillas going at each other doesn't need much explanation. I don't think anyone ever wanted to go to Buro territory?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

I don't mind the Buro as antagonists, I just found their Juncture to be underwhelming in terms of making me want to go have kung-fu gunfights there.
That's honestly where I was with them, too.

neonchameleon posted:

a post-apocalyptic Mad Max setting with two groups of sentient gorillas going at each other doesn't need much explanation.
...you make a fair point, and I declare my reservations dumb.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
What junctures are in the new setting then? (Does the Netherworld have Nazis?)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

You know, this is pretty much how I felt about it. I've been finding myself reading RPG stuff more from the point of view of a completely new player lately (for some reason), and I think to a completely new player, it'd be a case of "man, I must have missed some really cool metaplot".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

While reading the archetypes, one thing I found amusing is how they "Balanced" the Killer and Old Master archetypes. They're still massively powerful kickers of asses, but now the Killer takes extra damage during "climactic fights" via Heroic Bloodshed. Meanwhile the Old Master has to pass a not so easy toughness check each time he takes a hit or his defense goes down.

So the Jet Li types tend to catch bullets in the finale while Olx Masters will be slowly, the rapidly, beat down when they meet their match. Nice bit of genre emulation.

-Edit-
Also a rocket launcher and grenade launchers barely hurt named enemies, they just cause minor damage and make the target lose three shots as they dive out of the way of the explosion. That is, the name that character is very low on health , in which case it does massive damage and will probably kill them.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

What junctures are in the new setting then? (Does the Netherworld have Nazis?)

There are still just 4 "perma-junctures", but the Jammer's C-Bomb that obliterated the Feng Shui of the planet in 2067 caused the Inner Kingdom to destabilize. Now portals to all sorts of random times pop up for anywhere from a few days to a few hours before closing.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 15, 2014

• Locked thread