Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Really liking the LP. I hope we meet the Deacon soon, since clearly his current method of "let's just whine at college girls" is clearly not serving his intended purpose of getting transported back where he belongs.

Are there any good close-ups of Joey's sprite in the manual/supporting info/etc? I'm wondering about the whole "cut off at the knees" thing he's got going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Nice suit. Encourages trespassing, theft, and drug running. Gut-punches people as a standard intimidation tactic. Named "Joey".

The evidence is pretty clear: Our ghost was an Italian Mafia boss prior to his death.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

cmndstab posted:

Now we arrive at the two cases Lauren and Joey have yet to investigate. As you would probably expect, both will lead to ghosts.

Lauren: This one looks promising. Residents have reported strange music on the promenade late at night. Nobody knows where it comes from.

Lauren: A development corporation has halted construction after a series of accidents. Probably nothing, but worth checking out.

Bah, these aren't ghosts. The strange music is the newfangled thing the kids call "Disco" and the halted construction is probably just an OSHA thing for failure to follow safety protocols.

Also, when you mentioned that they get their leads from the papers, I couldn't help but think of Men in Black. Go ahead, read the New York Times, they get lucky sometimes.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Knowing what's in store for Lauren makes that ending pretty ominous and saddening.

Also, with the Countess, we now have three mediums whose story endings we know. Zero of them were happy. :sigh:

WickedHate posted:

Cigarettes saved the day! DARE was wrong all along. Though it's a little weird she couldn't fight off an old woman.
Actually, that's not as weird as it seems. The Countess is totally unhinged, to the point that she's not holding back in the slightest. Lauren, consciously or not, is certainly holding back.

It's the same reason that there are always news stories about people on drugs having superhuman strength to fight off trained police officers - the drugs remove all inhibition, fear of hurting yourself or others.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JamieTheD posted:

I dunno whether I should even mention this, but this is actually a "problem" you see in researching ghosts: You'd think, considering the volume of people nowadays, that you couldn't move for ghosts of the dearly departed, but this does not, in fact, appear to be the case. Nobody knows why, and anyone who says they do is a god-drat liar.

Not if remaining as a ghost is a very rare event.

Take the math of this game - Per Google, there are about 150 deaths per day in New York City. If only one person in a thousand "stays around", that totals up to about one ghost per week. Since it's fairly clear that there are days where there aren't any real cases, that doesn't seem unreasonable.

You could also make the argument that even if there are tons of ghosts, the only ghosts who people notice are the ones that cause issues. The ghosts who aren't knocking over lamps or making objects move (or playing jazz music at 3 am on a dock) just don't have any impact on the living. The ghost whose "haunting" consists of quietly watching TV at the sports bar? He's just as welcome to watch the game as we living fans are.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

It's not the email address that matters, the Countess probably doesn't even know what a computer is. It's the psychic connection, which Meltzer must have someone picked up while working with Mitchell at the New Yorker. What's weird is that it only started now, Mitchell has been dead for like ten years at this point.
I don't know that he necessarily picked it up at the New Yorker, but I agree that the emails themselves clearly don't matter. It's the actual act of writing that causes the Countess to come.

Ghosts interfere with electronics, so it'd presumably be hard for her to use a computer in the first place...but even if she did, the emails are blank except for the name*. "John Goldwater" and "Frank Lyons" aren't unique names and there's no identifying details, so it's pretty clear that the Countess has an actual psychic link to know who they actually are referring to.

*Presumably this is before the invention of email filters

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Previously Gavin just seemed like an ordinary con man/scam artist/psychopath (albeit a highly skillful one) but sending someone into an aneurysm? Wow.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Man, I feel kinda let down by that last scene. Gavin hunting her down is a nice touch, but the totally out-of-nowhere "FYI, I'm a 200 year old psychic vampire, part of a network of ancient vampires" made the whole thing come off a bit ridiculous. Looking forward to (hopefully) seeing some decent resolution in the next couple of updates.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Interesting ending, which closed the gap a little bit on the insanity...but it still came way too much out of the blue.

I'll admit that part of the reason it came so randomly might be because the series was originally supposed to be 10 games - maybe this would have been foreshadowed in a theoretical previous game. However, while it's definitely a great idea to have a long-term plan and outline for the story before beginning it, if other conditions change (such as, say, halving the amount of games you're making), you then need to go back to evaluate whether the original long-term plan is still reasonable.

Loved the LP though. The commentary and speculation really added to the enjoyment of the game. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

cmndstab posted:

Thanks for all of the kind comments :unsmith: This LP has been a lot of fun to do! There's something really pleasant about undertaking an LP for a series you love, starring characters you really enjoy. I did an LP of Normality last year which was also lots of fun to do, but drat, the main character in the game is a loving loser and every other NPC is even worse than him. Making fun of the protagonist is only entertaining for a short while. Between Rosa, Lauren and Joey there was always at least one (and usually two) characters present in every update that I really loved writing about, and I hope that shone through! :unsmith:

It definitely did. Also, I read your Normality LP a couple days ago and...yeah. "loving loser" is putting it for the main character. Very interesting to read though.

Any plans to do another adventure game at some point?

• Locked thread