Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Dark Id's LP of Legacy made me buy the series when they first came out on Steam and I've been wanting the rest of the games to be LPed ever since because they deserve it. You've been doing a great job and now I'm wanting the fifth game to come out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's another Shivah reference if you check Rosa's phone, its an email from the wife of the dude who gets killed and she hired Rosa to investigate his ghost.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
A bit of clarification, The Shivah takes place around the same time Legacy happens, so it hasn't been decades since Lauder was killed. Lauren just called a younger Rabbi Stone back in the 70's as well as another Shivah character that becomes a supporting character in this game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I forgot if it was mentioned before, but Durkin first appeared in The Shivah as the detective investigating Lauder's murder and as you said this is his second appearance in the Blackwell games after Unbound.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Keep in mind that Joey was trapped in a hospital room for decades with the only things he can could see being the woman he loved reduced to a drooling vegetable and the cracks in the ceiling. I can totally see why he'd be edgy about talking about his past and why he has an obsession with nice views.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah when I first played it I was okay with it, but after reading other people's thoughts afterwards I think it really just goes against the tone and themes of the series. The first three games were just low-key, personal affairs about helping people move on and any threats were localized and morally ambiguous. (The Deacon and The Countess were both nuts and acted out of sheer desperation, not malice.) But then now you have George Lucas and the Cabal of Soul Vampires which throws away all that down-to-earthness and gray morality the series had up until that point out the window. I'm still looking forward to Epiphany, but yeah Gilbert really goofed on this one.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 26, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Alex Silva has the same voice of the woman Gavin was talking to on the phone, so yeah the police commissioner is a Sith Vampire.

As I already said in retrospect Gilbert really shot himself in the foot with that ending but ultimately everything else is still quality stuff so I'm still looking forward to Epiphany.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If you want to do another adventure game I don't think Resonance has been LPed yet.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
To keep the thread alive I have some news; WadjetEye opened up pre-orders for Epiphany today on their site.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You can play the demo for Epiphany now if anyone's interested. Be warned though, there's some real spoilers at the end, so quit out after you save the cold open ghost if you want to go in mostly blind. It's definitely shaping up to be pretty cool.

http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/news/blackwell-epiphany-demo-now-available/

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ultrafilter posted:

Have they announced a release date yet?
The 24th.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Just going to say that you should try and see if you can LP it soon before the thread gets archived, because Epiphany is fantastic.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kopijeger posted:

I'm probably overthinking it, but considering the way the Blackwell world works, you have to wonder why the existence of ghosts aren't accepted as part of the natural order. Not only can children, animals and certain adults see and hear them, but they can interact with the physical world to a certain extent, like Joey's gust of wind and disruption of electronics and the ghost who could make undo the moorings of a boat, start the engine and set off. Hell, there is even one serial killer ghost that claimed several victims. Yet Rosa has a hard time accepting her new-found medium status in Legacy, and Joey takes it for granted that she will be committed against her will if she says anything to Dr. Quentin.

The point is, as long as the ghosts have a discernible effect on the physical world, it seems likely that they would have been subjected to scientific scrutiny and accepted as a natural phenomenon. Did you ever consider going, let us say, the "Magical Realism" route and have the existence of ghosts be an accepted part of the natural order to your characters?
Most ghosts don't really have that much a presence though. At most its usually people hearing things or feeling something, tiny stuff that most people can just rationalize away. The Deacon and Countess are more anomalies than the norm.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I'm happy that Gilbert completely dropped that plot for the most part in Epiphany. It leaves a big dangling plot thread in that the the Chief of Police is still a Soul Vampire but I can easily forgive it because what we actually got is so much better than a Cabal of Soul Vampires could ever be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think the ending was perfectly fine because any of stuff at the end to me really fit the idea of "the supernatural is vast and unknowable". The fact that there is no greater calling or divine plan when it comes to spirit guides and the afterlife fit in that too. To me Epiphany had one of the best endings in a video game period.

So yeah, thanks very much to Dave for making an amazing series and thanks to cmndstab for making a great LP.

• Locked thread