Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
October's looking good already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

ScotchDK posted:

I recall a time long ago, when streaming where done on Ustream, Voidburger playing this game and the chat was filled with sentences that rhymed with SOUL ROBBER.

Yup. I was in that chat. That was a good stream. I'm looking forward to the more informational and smooth playthrough of this LP, though.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

General Ironicus posted:

The holiday grove is worldwide, it's just that all the non-US holidays are in the back where loser holidays belong. The movie would have been much more laid back if Jack went in the Diwali door, but Nightmare Before Zagmuk would have been hardcore as gently caress.

And if he just would have sidestepped to the Krampus door, we probably wouldn't have had much of a movie. "huh, This is pretty similar to my town, actually. Just all this weird cold white stuff all over the place." Speaking of, I've trick or treated in my childhood a few times in the snow. It does NOT improve things, Jack! :arghfist:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

You have to remember that he's a skeleton, so doesn't feel cold.

Only the irrepressable urge to dance.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
So we had "Pimp your Pumpkin" night at my college.

That's not the only one on the pumpkin, but it's the only one that's Jack related.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

GeneralYeti posted:

That's not the only one on the pumpkin, but it's the only one that's Jack related.

Oh mannn :3: This thread is already so wonderful, oh shucks~

I can't believe it's only page two and we already have a thread in-joke type thingy, that's a record for me, I think!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Now all we need is a jack101/Voidburger avvie screen saver.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What's this? What's this?
It looks like a new game
What's this?
It's not at all the same
What's this?
I can't believe my eyes
I must be dreaming
Wake up, goons, this isn't fair!
What's this?

What's this? What's this?
There's something very wrong
What's this?
There's bosses singing songs

What's this?
The thread is lined with
Little posters laughing
Everybody seems so happy
Have I possibly gone daffy?
What is this?
What's this?

There's ol' Jack throwing robbers
instead of Pyramid Heads
He's busy hitting baddies
And absolutely no one's dead

There's Disney in each video
Oh, I can't believe my eyes
And in my posts I feel the warmth
That's coming from inside

Oh, look
What's this?
It's Voidburg and Kamoc, they laugh
Why that looks so unique, hooray!
They're gathering around to play a cool game
Posting videos on Let's Play
What's this?

What's this?
In here they don't have Silent Hill, how queer
And who would ever think
And why?

The header art is done by KC Green
Voices on or off cutscenes
And there's a smile on everyone
So, now, correct me if I'm wrong
This looks like fun
This looks like fun
Oh, could it be I got my wish?
What's this?

Oh my, what now?
The LP is alive
But look, there's no stupid PI
No Ks, no soldiers here to suck and bore them
Or abhor them, only little licensed things
Secure inside their console
What's this?

The monsters are all missing
And the radios can't be found
And in their place there seems to be
Quirkiness all around

Instead of screams, I swear
I can hear music in the air
The sight of happy goons
Is absolutely everywhere

The sights, the sounds
They're everywhere and all around
I've never felt so good before
This empty place inside of me is filling up
I simply cannot get enough

I want it, oh, I want it
Oh, I want it for my own
I've got to know
I've got to know
What is this LP that I've found?
What is this?

Oogie's Revenge, hmm...

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Waffleman_ posted:

What's this?

I read that in tune and in Jack's voice. Clearly I have watched this movie too many times (that is a lie there is no such thing).

MyNameIsAlex
Dec 26, 2011

By jungle law
the ghost who walks
calls forth the strength of ten tigers
Man I need to rewatch this film. It's been years. I know BUrton didn't direct it, but how much did he actually have to do with the film?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I believe it was based on a story written by Burton.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
If ever there was a game to have a Hanukkah Zombie, this would be it.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

MyNameIsAlex posted:

I know Burton didn't direct it, but how much did he actually have to do with the film?

DID SOMEONE ASK FOR TRIVIA??

Tim Burton wrote the Nightmare Before Christmas as a poem while he was working as Disney animator on The Fox and The Hound AKA: The saddest Disney movie ever made and don't even argue with that because it is a FACT*.

Here's the original poem animated all fancy and narrated by Christopher Lee!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbPCwc_Cdz0
Click here if you'd rather hear Sir Patrick Stewart narrate the same thing!

Tim was only a producer on the project, as he was busy directing Batman Returns and dealing with the pre-production of Ed Wood (you know, that Tim Burton movie no one ever saw. No, not Planet of the Apes.)

As a result, he was present on the Nightmare set only about 8 days in the entire 3 year shoot! So really, Nightmare as we know it isn't due too much to Mr. Burton's influence. Henry Sellick did all the directing, Caroline Thompson did the screenplay, and Danny Elfman did the entire score (Which actually came before the scriptwriting phase of production! Elfman called it "one of the easiest jobs I've ever had," he loved it so much), so I'd vet them as the true people behind Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas.

*Pixar doesn't count in this statement

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 3, 2013

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
Re: NBC merch...

Here is a dress for toddlers:

Wacky waving arm inflatable tube man!

And a stupidly low effort costume:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

VoidBurger posted:

It came out for PlayStation 2 and Xbox. I'm playing an emulated PS2 PAL version.
Why the PAL version?

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.

GeneralYeti posted:

Haha, Christ I love this thing, I swear if I wasn't a Jack-o-lantard I would carve this myself.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

100Dachshunds posted:

Is calling it part of the "Dan Alexander Collection" supposed to make inflatable yard ornaments sound classy? Haha. I also like the shittily photoshopped jack-o-lantern designs on those regular, non-carved pumpkins. And this is official Disney merch!

Kgummy posted:

Why the PAL version?
It just behaves better with my emulator/recording setup for some reason!

Waffleman_ posted:

What's this?
Also this is great. :D

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

There's two other pictures on the pumpkin, if there's interest in seeing them. Like I said, they aren't NBC related, but hey - it's drawings on a pumpkin. It's Halloween related, right?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

GeneralYeti posted:

There's two other pictures on the pumpkin, if there's interest in seeing them. Like I said, they aren't NBC related, but hey - it's drawings on a pumpkin. It's Halloween related, right?

I can't speak for voidburger but I'd like to see that 'umpkin. If at least half of it thread fanart I think it belongs here.

Also, how did you explain it to people? "I'm putting this on my pumpkin. Yeah, it's an injoke on a Let's Play on Something Awful dot com of a Nightmare Before Christmas videogame and oh god I'm normal I swear."

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

100Dachshunds posted:

drat, just look at that sass Oogie's giving Jack. That is perfect.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

This isn't exactly merchandise, but here's a handy Google Image Search link that will show you lots and lots and lots of NBC-themed Japanese bento boxes. Which is kind of an obvious theme for bento boxes because, you know, rice balls.

MGN001
May 12, 2012

100Dachshunds posted:

Come buy a piece of junk used car! get some candy, kids!!!

E; ONLY $80!!!

what a deal

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

MGN001 posted:

Come buy a piece of junk used car! get some candy, kids!!!

E; ONLY $80!!!

what a deal

Merchandising, merchandising! Where the real money from the movie is made!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

VoidBurger posted:

DID SOMEONE ASK FOR TRIVIA??

Tim Burton wrote the Nightmare Before Christmas as a poem while he was working as Disney animator on The Fox and The Hound AKA: The saddest Disney movie ever made and don't even argue with that because it is a FACT*.

Here's the original poem animated all fancy and narrated by Christopher Lee!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbPCwc_Cdz0
Click here if you'd rather hear Sir Patrick Stewart narrate the same thing!

Tim was only a producer on the project, as he was busy directing Batman Returns and dealing with the pre-production of Ed Wood (you know, that Tim Burton movie no one ever saw. No, not Planet of the Apes.)

As a result, he was present on the Nightmare set only about 8 days in the entire 3 year shoot! So really, Nightmare as we know it isn't due too much to Mr. Burton's influence. Henry Sellick did all the directing, Caroline Thompson did the screenplay, and Danny Elfman did the entire score (Which actually came before the scriptwriting phase of production! Elfman called it "one of the easiest jobs I've ever had," he loved it so much), so I'd vet them as the true people behind Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas.

*Pixar doesn't count in this statement

I saw Ed Wood and I LIKED IT! (Although I had to see it on VHS since no theatre in town ran it. :sigh:)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
And I saw Oingo Boingo live back in the day. :rock:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

orenronen posted:

This isn't exactly merchandise, but here's a handy Google Image Search link that will show you lots and lots and lots of NBC-themed Japanese bento boxes. Which is kind of an obvious theme for bento boxes because, you know, rice balls.
Japan is (still) crazy about NBC, way more than you'd expect (despite it being a good movie and all that). There's NBC everything all up in that place. I'm going there in a couple of weeks and will report on any weird NBC stuff I come across.

TBZ
Apr 22, 2010
Thanks for doing the recap video of the movie, I've never watched it, so it helped out a lot. :)

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

Japan is (still) crazy about NBC, way more than you'd expect (despite it being a good movie and all that). There's NBC everything all up in that place. I'm going there in a couple of weeks and will report on any weird NBC stuff I come across.

I am well aware of that, having lived there a couple of years. I am going for a visit in a couple of weeks myself and will be happy to do the same.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Samizdata posted:

I saw Ed Wood and I LIKED IT! (Although I had to see it on VHS since no theatre in town ran it. :sigh:)

It's honestly his best movie.

I played this game a few years back. It's not that fun, but it's at least interesting. I do like the atmosphere of Halloween Town a lot.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

ThatPazuzu posted:

Also, how did you explain it to people? "I'm putting this on my pumpkin. Yeah, it's an injoke on a Let's Play on Something Awful dot com of a Nightmare Before Christmas videogame and oh god I'm normal I swear."

Actually, that's pretty much what I had to do.

It helps that my friends know I do LPs, so I only had to explain to people that didn't know me personally. I did get those weird looks, though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

orenronen posted:

Yeah, so I found this from that link:

Pokemon as envisioned by (not) Tim Burton...

Also I found a whole bunch more! http://hatboy.tumblr.com/tagged/Pokemon

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Maremidon posted:

It's honestly his third best movie.

Fixed that for you. Beetlejuice and Pee-Wee's Big Adventure are some of the best movies of my childhood, and I'll hear nothing to contrary.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!
If I remember correctly, VoidBurger linked this on her twitter. This guy at Disney World who plays Jack and does a spot-on impression.. Shame that his costume isn't all that great.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Heck yeah, I'm down for seeing some NightmareMerch from other countries! Especially nonofficial and weird stuff!

Samizdata posted:

And I saw Oingo Boingo live back in the day. :rock:
I am the most jealous personnnnnnghhhhh.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, by the time I really discovered how awesome Oingo Boingo was I found out they'd already stopped touring like a decade before.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

VoidBurger posted:

Heck yeah, I'm down for seeing some NightmareMerch from other countries! Especially nonofficial and weird stuff!

VoidBurger, I'm asking you directly if this is okay because I'm not sure.

My folks are HUGE NMBC fans and have lots of figurines and statues that are really cool, but most, if not all, are official Disney merch. So before I go and put in effort to get good pics of them all, I want to make sure your okay with me showing it all off.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Ben Kasack posted:

VoidBurger, I'm asking you directly if this is okay because I'm not sure.

My folks are HUGE NMBC fans and have lots of figurines and statues that are really cool, but most, if not all, are official Disney merch. So before I go and put in effort to get good pics of them all, I want to make sure your okay with me showing it all off.

Heck yeah, why not? Collections are cool! My only suggestion is that you make an imgur (or something) gallery of it for easy viewing.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

VoidBurger posted:

Heck yeah, why not? Collections are cool! My only suggestion is that you make an imgur (or something) gallery of it for easy viewing.

That was the plan. Alright, I'll get to work on it and get it up in the next day or so.

E: Okay, so I got a random bug up my butt and did it all shortly after posting. Here is the link to the imgur album with all of the pics: http://imgur.com/a/D2ZMe

A number of the pics are blurry, I know. Some of the angles were weird, okay?

Ben Kasack fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 3, 2013

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, by the time I really discovered how awesome Oingo Boingo was I found out they'd already stopped touring like a decade before.

I don't think I found out about them until 96/97? Just a year or two after they retired. I have the worst timing. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Holidae posted:

If I remember correctly, VoidBurger linked this on her twitter. This guy at Disney World who plays Jack and does a spot-on impression.. Shame that his costume isn't all that great.

To be fair, it's pretty hard to turn a fleshy human into a literal skeleton.

• Locked thread