Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

VoidBurger posted:

Hey guys, I was hoping to have an episode ready for HALLOWEEN, but life has decided to throw some really impressive monkey wrenches in the works, so we're gonna have a bit of a delay for the next episode, maybe a week. :( Sorry for the scheduling issues, y'all.

Hey, it's fine, Jack's proven in the past that he's more than willing to work any season. Push it as far into November as you need.

THIS IS THANKSGIVING THIS IS THANKSGIVING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
FOR SALE: 1 Jack Disco ball (orange), slightly dented w/scratch damage. Small overheating problem. Free to anyone who can pry it out of this sewer manhole. We've tried everything!

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Sorry for no Halloween update, but please enjoy this fun little imgur infodump about The Nightmare Before Christmas while I record a gigantic backlog of episodes.

And here's some fun facts not mentioned in that infodump:

Jack puppet talk: A typical stop-motion puppet is short and squat with huge feet for balance. Jack is impossibly tall and thin, with tiny feet, thin ankles, and extremely long arms. There was much trepidation about turning Tim Burton's drawing of Jack into a puppet... and yet the puppet-maker pulled it off pretty well. He turned out tall and thin enough to appear graceful and not clunky. The animators remarked that Jack was a dream to work with, with an unexpectedly large and smooth range of motion.

Oogie puppet talk: He was the largest puppet with the heaviest armature (metallic skeleton) of any character in the movie, weighing in with a 6 pound, two foot high metal skeleton made of 175 parts - gigantic for a stop-motion puppet. He was twice as tall as almost all the other puppets in the film. "You could tow a truck with Oogie's armature" commented one of the movie's sculptor's. Animator Mike Belzer said "I had to dig in with my feet and physically push the Oogie Boogie puppet. He's so huge and there's so much foam [filling the space between his armature and the surface], therefore the armature has so be very tight; it's literally wrestling with the puppet."

Another interesting fact is that there was an alternate ending considered for the Nightmare Before Christmas, wherein Oogie is revealed to have been Dr. Finklestein all along in some sorta harebrained passive-agressive plan to somehow get back at Sally for not appreciating him… I'm glad they dumped that, because it dumb as hell. You can see that deleted scene's storyboards at 1:40 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MWXc3YNSOU&t=1s

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 1, 2013

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Surprisingly, especially given the time of year, I didn't see much NBC stuff in Japan this time. Then again, I didn't go into The Disney Store (note that the vast majority of NBC merch over there is licensed and legit). I did see one crossover product, and while I didn't get a photo of it, I found one online:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Halloween came and went, and there were no Nightmare Before Christmas themed trick-or-treaters that visited my home. However, while out grocery shopping a few days later I did spy this little fella in the bargain bin cart.

Kinda let yourself go there, Jack. I think he's actually repainted Christmas merch. Check out the mittens.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Technical difficulties are over! Life difficulties still ongoing, though! Here's an update finally, sorry for the wait. Hopefully there won't be another dry spell for awhile.

Youtube! (full commentary)
PolsyBlip! (cut commentary)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Are you going to release the soundtrack to this LP when you're done? Because I am digging these tunes.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Lucky for me that I just started watching these videos last night, huh?

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Waffleman_ posted:

Are you going to release the soundtrack to this LP when you're done? Because I am digging these tunes.
Check the OP! There's music downloads!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

VoidBurger posted:

Check the OP! There's music downloads!

Snagzored! Cheers for the linkage (and the, ummm, reminder about the, ummmm, OP. SALR makes it hard to remember.)!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The people of Halloween Town are either too fat or stupid to even keep themselves fed without Jack.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
The Disney Wiki is the best and it has a page on Jack. It's pretty great: "Appearance: Handsome, Skeleton, Animated Skull, Bony Fingers. Fate: Hugs and kisses Sally on Pumpkin Mountain."

And in the comments there is, paraphrased: "Is the Pumpkin King in charge?" "No, Pumpkin King is a title like Miss America."

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

ThatPazuzu posted:

The Disney Wiki is the best and it has a page on Jack. It's pretty great: "Appearance: Handsome, Skeleton, Animated Skull, Bony Fingers. Fate: Hugs and kisses Sally on Pumpkin Mountain."

And in the comments there is, paraphrased: "Is the Pumpkin King in charge?" "No, Pumpkin King is a title like Miss America."
Whoa whoa whoa, I guess I missed the wedding invitation because she's now called Sally F. Skellington according to this wiki.*

*SOURCE: The loving Bleedman comic? Also from a mention of Jack having kids years down the line in a prologue on the soundtrack.

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 10, 2013

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Dr Finkelstien's likes "Sally obeying him" but dislikes "being poisoned by her." He's such a complex character.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

This is a bit late, but my friends did some pumpkin carving for Halloween.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I just want to point out that Corpse Kid asked Jack how many fingers he has. I can see why he doubted Jack being Jack when he gets all the questions wrong.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

VoidBurger posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, I guess I missed the wedding invitation because she's now called Sally F. Skellington according to this wiki.*

*SOURCE: The loving Bleedman comic? Also from a mention of Jack having kids years down the line in a prologue on the soundtrack.

Come on voidburger, Jack kissed sally at the end of the movie, He had to take responsibility and make an honest woman our of her so their weird skeleton/frankenstein's monster kid wouldn't be born a bastard...girls get pregnant from getting kissed right?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VoidBurger posted:

Oh mother of God.

ThatPazuzu posted:

Actual question about the Pumpkin King though, how does Jack suddenly get flame powers by putting a pumpkin on his head. Is that a thing he does? I actually don't really know poo poo about Nightmare Before Christmas.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

TwoPair posted:

Actual question about the Pumpkin King though, how does Jack suddenly get flame powers by putting a pumpkin on his head. Is that a thing he does? I actually don't really know poo poo about Nightmare Before Christmas.
BAM! (a bit after 3 minutes in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpvdAJYvofI&t=3s

Bob, you're supposed to be asking these sorts of questions!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

VoidBurger posted:

Don't get me started on that thing, Jesus.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
To make a long story short, it's a major game mechanic that comes from a 20 second segment in the movie. To be fair, they probably didn't have much else to go on.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
Not only is Igor voiced by Rob Paulsen, but I am quite certain the good doctor is voiced by Jess Harnell (the voice of Wakko). Same with Kingdom Hearts too.

And just in case I'm repeating information that I somehow missed, here's a skeleton in a cozy sweater.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
How does a skeleton have a baby? They have no organs at all, much less reproductive organs. For that matter, how does a zombie get pregnant?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Hammurabi posted:

How does a skeleton have a baby? They have no organs at all, much less reproductive organs. For that matter, how does a zombie get pregnant?

They build them out of the nightmares of children, of course!

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Hammurabi posted:

How does a skeleton have a baby?

By boning, you goober.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Hammurabi posted:

How does a skeleton have a baby?

The skeleton stork dumps the baby in a pumpkin patch.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Pesky Splinter posted:

The skeleton stork dumps the baby in a pumpkin patch.

I think you mean The Great Pumpkin.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

VoidBurger posted:

Even more interesting to me is the reason that Oogie doesn't like Jack is because Jack rules Halloween and his old Holiday, Bug Day, lies forgotten and ruined.

drat immigrants, always trying to steal jobs!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

quote:

In episode 2 of the action hentai series Angel Blade, when General Chloe is in the hospital and goes to Ayame's room, there is a dummy in her bed in place of her. The dummy is Sally but with modified hair.

Disney Wiki.....why!? :negative:

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!

kalonZombie posted:

Even more interesting to me is the reason that Oogie doesn't like Jack is because Jack rules Halloween and his old Holiday, Bug Day, lies forgotten and ruined.

drat immigrants, always trying to steal jobs!
The best part is this is actually true. I believe it's the basic plot of the gameboy game.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

heenato posted:

The best part is [Bug Day] is actually true. I believe it's the basic plot of the gameboy game.
Yup, it was the plot of Pumpkin King for the GBA, released around the same time as Oogie's Revenge. All the enemies were bugs in that game, which might explain why there's almost no bug enemies in this game.

HEY, how about another update to make up for that hiatus thingy.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

That costume ought to have its dialogue changed for combat; I wanna hear "SNORE ROBBER!" over and over.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

I found this in my Facebook feed today. Not sure how I feel about it

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

azren posted:

That costume ought to have its dialogue changed for combat; I wanna hear "SNORE ROBBER!" over and over.

Or just replace like every third "HAH HAH!" in a combo chain with Jack yawning loudly.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Or just replace like every third "HAH HAH!" in a combo chain with Jack yawning loudly.

Or have him whip the nightcap off instead of the Soul Robber.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

My Face When posted:

I found this in my Facebook feed today. Not sure how I feel about it

I like it. It's a really well done piece and, as far as fandom tattoos go, it's great- not creepy or needing a long explanation.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I guess they were expecting you to fight those guys in order to clear the level, but I don't see how you can do that and get anything like a good time rank at the same time.

jameson9101322
Feb 21, 2010

I don't know if we're still hunting Jacks but I found this poor baby at Walgreens a while back.

He screams like a wet cat when you rip his head off...adorable.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I think the game designers were actually pretty on the ball with this product, as from what I can tell, NBC fans really do seem to be attracted to the same loving thing, repeated over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

:getin:

• Locked thread