Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Thanks to KC Green of Gunshow fame for the header!

Surprised aren't you? I knew you would be! You don't need to have another worry about Silent Hill this year. Consider this a vacation, guys - a reward! It's VoidBurger and Kamoc's turn to take it easy! I'll see that you're comfortable.

There's a Nightmare Before Christmas GAME?

Released by Capcom on October 21st, 2004 in Japan and a whole YEAR later in America and the UK, The Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie's Revenge is a action-adventure game set one year after the events of famous 1993 "claymation" flick, The Nightmare Before Christmas. Yes, the video game came out over ten years after the film. (I suspect it has something to do with Kingdom Hearts, which came out in 2002 and featured a Nightmare Before Christmas level.) Critics rightfully complained about its boring, repetitive combat, samey-samey fetch quests, and VERY irritating music and sound effects. But don't worry, I'll be replacing most of the annoying music with alternate music pretty early on, before the music really starts driving people.... batty.

Oogie's Revenge is surprisingly faithful to the spirit and mood of the film. Capcom recreated Halloween Town very well, using pictures of the original set and even movie concept art for reference, it seems. Many of the original voice actors reprise their roles for the game, also. Too bad the game is so annoying.

If you haven't seen or don't remember the movie very well, you should watch this video and I'll sum it up for you.

Without further ado, let's play The Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie's Revenge! :spooky:

Nice Work, Bone Daddy by Alex Rosetti (new battle theme)
Troublesome Trio by Alex Rosetti (new Oogie's Boys boss theme)
Fa La La Wah-Ha by Alex Rosetti (new battle theme)

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

TyreForHyre helps me impart trivia with :nbc101:

miscellaneous14 robs our souls, then our hearts.

Geop bestows upon us the first gif of the thread!

GeneralYeti pimps their pumpkin!

jameson9101322 gifts a .gif

TyreForHyre gets swingin'.

Arkannoyed says that things got a little heavy in this game's sequel.

Wow. Much RedTeam. So fanart.

ElTipejoLoco uses forensic technology to decipher what Jack used to look like.

dijon du jour knows how to allure.

All work and no play makes @BeaPeaBear a skullboy.

'Tis the season for a :spooky: Jack Hunt! :spooky: Here's some of the best, weirdest, shittiest Jacks out there.

100Dachshunds posted:

Wacky waving arm inflatable tube man!

Wa11y posted:

Found this at my local Home Depot. The saddest Skelington!

clockwork chaos posted:

I'm pretty sure this is unofficial merch - a tshirt my dad has had for like five years. Apologies for the lovely phone picture.

GirlCalledBob posted:

I always completely forget it's NMBC related, but my grandma got me this jumper a while back for Christmas or something:

I think it might actually be offical merch, but the labels are tiny, it's hard to tell.

Meis posted:

Jack Hunt has found an imposter Jack hiding in Clinton Cards!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Spotted this walking past a cookie-decorating shop:

General Ironicus posted:

Jack is shilling for conventions now:

SgtSteel91 posted:

Found Jack chilling at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Gann Jerrod posted:

I wanted to show off the caramel apple that you can get at Disneyland.

The Divine Orator posted:

FOR SALE: 1 Jack Disco ball (orange), slightly dented w/scratch damage. Small overheating problem. Free to anyone who can pry it out of this sewer manhole. We've tried everything!

TwoPair posted:

Hey, it's fine, Jack's proven in the past that he's more than willing to work any season. Push it as far into November as you need.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I think he's actually repainted Christmas merch. Check out the mittens.

jameson9101322 posted:

He screams like a wet cat when you rip his head off...adorable.

Silly Voodoo posted:

Gilchrist, you hack! :argh:

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 24, 2014

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Is this game scary and/or spooky? I am terrified of ghosts, ghouls and the undead.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ooo, this game. Excellent. This should be fun.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I love that the weapon that Dr. Finkelstein gives to Jack is one of those fifty-cent sticky, stretchy hands. That boss fight was something, too; looking forward to seeing what else this game has to show.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I look forward to hearing SOUL ROBBER over and over and over again.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
I love how Oogie Boogie rolls in this game. Most video game villains stick to the shadows, have their henchman fight for them, and prepare for a dramatic reveal. Oogie on the other hand uses a PA system to announce "gently caress you! I'm in charge now! Fight me!" as soon as the gameplay starts.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Mr DJB posted:

I love how Oogie Boogie rolls in this game. Most video game villains stick to the shadows, have their henchman fight for them, and prepare for a dramatic reveal. Oogie on the other hand uses a PA system to announce "gently caress you! I'm in charge now! Fight me!" as soon as the gameplay starts.

Haha, it's funny you say that the main villain usually "sticks to the shadows" because what we fought in this first episode was not Oogie himself, but literally his shadow. He brags about it in the lyrics of the boss battle, and the figure we get at the end of this episode is "Oogie's Shadow." :eng101: I need a version of this emoticon that is Jack instead of that smiley. Fixed! Yay, TyreForHyre!

I talk a little bit more about Oogie's shadow in the second episode. Trivia ahoy!

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 1, 2013

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

This LP is spookier than a skeleton gif; here's hoping my delicate nerves can handle it!

I have a friend who was a big NBC fan, I think I remember her talking to me about this game way back when. What console(s) was this thing on?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Ahaha, I thought this was Standard Cash-In Game #1248 but then I got to the PaRappa the Rappa fight sequence. Now I wanna see Jack go to, I dunno, Thanksgiving Town and have a dance off with Tom Turkey.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Meis posted:

This LP is spookier than a skeleton gif; here's hoping my delicate nerves can handle it!

I have a friend who was a big NBC fan, I think I remember her talking to me about this game way back when. What console(s) was this thing on?

It came out for PlayStation 2 and Xbox. I'm playing an emulated PS2 PAL version.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

"This Is Halloween" was playing on Pandora when I spotted this thread, so good timing there.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
This is going to be a great LP and I loved the movie recap video. Is the camera always fixed in such awkward positions? Soul rubbing those skeletons looked like a pain .

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I've never seen this game in action but I was a huge NMBC fan when I was a kid. A sequel just seemed... I dunno, kinda unnecessary?

Love that the boss fights are song-offs though.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!
Using a whip-like device to take down spookyscary skeletons and other badnasties? The Belmont family will surely sue.

Glad to see they got so many of the original voice actors back, but I will be severely disappointed if Steve Blum doesn't voice at least 14 characters.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.

VoidBurger posted:

I need a version of this emoticon that is Jack instead of that smiley.
Here ya go:
Always wondered how this game was but never picked it up, really cool to see ya doing it.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

TyreForHyre posted:

Here ya go:
Always wondered how this game was but never picked it up, really cool to see ya doing it.
I'm keeping this forever :3:

Holidae posted:

Using a whip-like device to take down spookyscary skeletons and other badnasties? The Belmont family will surely sue.
Capcom certainly sticks with what it knows! Whoops I mixed up Castlevania with Devil May Cry HURRRRRR.

General Ironicus posted:

This is going to be a great LP and I loved the movie recap video. Is the camera always fixed in such awkward positions?
Thank you! The camera is slightly awkward, but I'm kinda used to that in PS2-era games, personally. It rarely gets BAD enough for me to consider it a major flaw of the game (especially in light of the other, more obvious flaws in the game: music/SFX, pacing, etc.)

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 3, 2013

DonkeyWeekend
Jun 17, 2012
Never heard of this game before, looking forward to this LP.

The extra-hammy voice acting is what really sells the game for me. Can't wait to hear more :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The best part of this LP is Kamoc's Jack voice.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
The flamboyance and whip attacks made me think of Bayonetta and the Kulshedra weapon. Whether Jack will also don a dominatrix outfit remains to be seen.

SaltyMoose
Jan 4, 2013

no seriously stop
The music-boss battle is so weird that I love it! :D

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Voidburger needs to do more movie summaries. Reminds me of the Silent Hill overview you did.

Great start to the LP.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
Maybe those other skeletons were from Dia de los Muertos town.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

EasilyConfused posted:

Voidburger needs to do more movie summaries. Reminds me of the Silent Hill overview you did.

Great start to the LP.

Seconding this. Even if you remember the movie perfectly, you should watch the recap because it's pretty dang funny.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!
Yay! A new voidburger (plus kamoc!!) LP! :woop:
Can't wait for more goodness to fill my eye holes and ear holes!

MGN001
May 12, 2012

I knew there was a GBA game, but I didn't know that there was a Nightmare Before Christmas console game. You learn something new every day.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ThatPazuzu posted:

Ahaha, I thought this was Standard Cash-In Game #1248 but then I got to the PaRappa the Rappa fight sequence. Now I wanna see Jack go to, I dunno, Thanksgiving Town and have a dance off with Tom Turkey.

I've always loved that there's a 4 leaf clover door, implying that there's some sort St-Patrick's-Day-Town, which one can only imagine as an infinite meadow with nothing but leprechauns drinking, fighting, and puking all over pots of gold.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Oh man. Nightmare before Christmas reminds me of my angsty middle-school days. :allears:

Will this LP contain a trip to Hot Topic? That way it will be comprehensive.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

MGN001 posted:

I knew there was a GBA game, but I didn't know that there was a Nightmare Before Christmas console game. You learn something new every day.
The GBA game (The Pumpkin King) came out simultaneously with Oogie's Revenge, oddly! I'll probably talk about that game at some point in the LP. (I haven't played it though, never had a GBA...)

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I've always loved that there's a 4 leaf clover door, implying that there's some sort St-Patrick's-Day-Town, which one can only imagine as an infinite meadow with nothing but leprechauns drinking, fighting, and puking all over pots of gold.
I like how Nightmare has a Thanksgiving door and the game adds an Independence Day door... I guess that means that Halloween Town is in the USA?

Smoking Crow posted:

Will this LP contain a trip to Hot Topic? That way it will be comprehensive.
Probably not, but I am going to be in DisneyWorld in early December, which is when they haul out ALL the Nightmare merch. Maybe I'll make an on-location video? DisneyWorld does far less Nightmare poo poo than DisneyLand, but I'm hoping I'll be able to meet their terrifying version of Jack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eISEn8kGJoU
I might cry.

By the way, I want to have a :spooky:Jack Hunt!:spooky: Even those unfamiliar with the Nightmare Before Christmas film are probably aware of Jack, due to Disney finally wising up and marketing the poo poo out of the film way too late in the game (so that it's nostalgic now!) I want you guys to find Jacks in the wild and post them in the thread! The weirder the merchandise, the better! I'd especially like non-official, rip-off merch and copyright-dodging Jacks. For example, this magazine I saw in the supermarket:

'Tis the season!

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 2, 2013

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

VoidBurger posted:

I like how Nightmare has a Thanksgiving door and the game adds an Independence Day door... I guess that means that Halloween Town is in the USA?

The holiday grove is worldwide, it's just that all the non-US holidays are in the back where loser holidays belong. The movie would have been much more laid back if Jack went in the Diwali door, but Nightmare Before Zagmuk would have been hardcore as gently caress.

General Ironicus fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 2, 2013

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
This is going to be an interesting LP for me. Nightmare before christmas was one of my favorite movies growing up, and I too even have all the lyrics ingrained into my brain. I had never played this game, thinking it would be an awful cash-in of the movie, but I'm seeing that may not be the case, because that boss battle was wonderful.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
The concept for this game seems to be "Devil May Cry but with Nightmare Before Christmas characters and every boss fight is a musical number" which sounds like the best thing ever made but for some reason it just falls flat. A shame, that.

It's really cool that they got a lot of the original voice actors though. Interested to see how the rest of this game plays out!

MGN001
May 12, 2012

VoidBurger posted:

The GBA game (The Pumpkin King) came out simultaneously with Oogie's Revenge, oddly! I'll probably talk about that game at some point in the LP. (I haven't played it though, never had a GBA...)

My sister got the GBA game. It plays kinda like a NMBC'd up Castlevania, from what I've seen. She still has the goofy awesome "holographic" sticker from the front of the box on the door.

EDIT: I looked it up; this is "Lenticular Printing" according to Wikipedia.

MGN001 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 2, 2013

ShadowFox1001
Sep 21, 2013
TNBC has always been one of my favorite movies ever since I saw it as a 5 or 6 year old kid. I didn't even know there was a game, but so far it looks interesting and fun. I like the singing for the Oogie boss battle, and also the dancing rhythm part. That made me chuckle and smile. I'm looking forward to more.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Looking forward to this! :v: Great to see both of ya tackling an LP together.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Call me a dork if you want, but I am really digging on the "Jack's badass I am ready to whup you with a Soul Robber" idle pose.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Geop posted:

Looking forward to this! :v: Great to see both of ya tackling an LP together.

The first gif(t) of the thread. woo.

I actually only saw NMBC a few years back. I am interested to see how they can make me hate it with every fibre of my being due to poor game design.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I am so ready to GET SPOOKED.

And since a lot of people are discussing it, I'll share my experiences with this film. My first exposure to it was in Chain Of Memories, and then I actually got around to watching part of it in school a few years later. Haven't ever seen the full movie.

ScotchDK
Aug 14, 2008

mmmh, smooth...

Green Intern posted:

I look forward to hearing SOUL ROBBER over and over and over again.

I recall a time long ago, when streaming where done on Ustream, Voidburger playing this game and the chat was filled with sentences that rhymed with SOUL ROBBER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Oh man, this game. I was such a fangirl for the movie that I pre-ordered it from GameStop. Still have the paper pre-order stub somewhere...

Still, glad to see someone tackling the game, looking forward to more!

• Locked thread