Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, this game really feels like Burton May Cry so far. I suppose if some scary thing tries to eat Jack and then he turns it into a weapon, the cycle will be complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like that you can just vacuum up a whole bunch of stuff at once instead of having to run around for it.

I don't like that they only recorded one voice clip for it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that when Jack goes in for a song finisher they actually add a couple of new stanzas to finish the song.

...not sure why the boss still sticks around after that, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I guess they were expecting you to fight those guys in order to clear the level, but I don't see how you can do that and get anything like a good time rank at the same time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Secret missions in the middle of levels. This really is Burton May Cry, holy poo poo.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that most of Jack's special attacks now seem to relate to bein' Santa. That just seems like the sort of thing that would happen to him.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh god, pausing and using items from the inventory? As a central game mechanic?

Voidboigah, I am so sorry you're having to go through this.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Keep your chin up, Voidburger. Boss refights are one thing. But the same music? It would break a lesser LPer.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think it's fine to have some backtracking for something as valuable as a heart container. Not that this game has given anybody a lot of reason to want to be forgiving.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The idea of combining three miniboss fights into a single simultaneous boss battle is pretty quality.

The unused, pointless movie asset in the background and the counterproductive plot development afterward, not so much.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I realize that traps and poo poo fit Oogie really well, but these were really not platformer controls. Mercy.

At least it's almost over?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, I'm glad we'll be going to Christmas Town after all.

Did Oogie do a thing where he turned himself into his shadow and his shadow into himself, or something?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...is it wrong that I was hoping for a love-song QTE to open the path to the Hinterlands?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If those guys were in the Hinterlands somewhere at least that would make a little sense. But nope, just wandering around in Halloween Town. Maybe they were late to the boss room and just jumped at the chance to fight Jack?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, finally we're crashing other holidays.

I would really have liked to see what was behind all the other doors but I suppose it'll have to wait.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, I think we have a strong contender for "least thrilling rescue in a video game".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Actually, the story of Androcles and the Lion is not one of Aesop's fables, but a story from somewhere else. Aesop's "The Lion and The Mouse" does have a similar moral, though it's kind of told the other way 'round.

I do like the concept of that last boss, but the final form is just kind of... too dance fighty. If that makes sense?

• Locked thread