Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
This is going to be an interesting LP for me. Nightmare before christmas was one of my favorite movies growing up, and I too even have all the lyrics ingrained into my brain. I had never played this game, thinking it would be an awful cash-in of the movie, but I'm seeing that may not be the case, because that boss battle was wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Good god. They managed to take a song I ALREADY thought was kinda annoying, and made it worse. That takes some talent in being awful at music.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Sally's song is one of my favorites from the movie but it REALLY doesn't fit as a boss theme. I mean, I guess thematically it works, but it's too wistful? I think that's the word I want.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

To make a long story short, it's a major game mechanic that comes from a 20 second segment in the movie. To be fair, they probably didn't have much else to go on.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

Even more interesting to me is the reason that Oogie doesn't like Jack is because Jack rules Halloween and his old Holiday, Bug Day, lies forgotten and ruined.

drat immigrants, always trying to steal jobs!
The best part is this is actually true. I believe it's the basic plot of the gameboy game.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

That song was almost as annoying to listen to as Oogies boys' for completely different reasons. That one was just annoying in general, but this one is nearly as bad because almost none of the lyrics fit properly with the music.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

VoidBurger posted:

Which is seriously loving crazy because this is an original song that was written for the game. What??
I know! Did none of the people writing the music sit down and say "Hey...we could probably do with a couple less words. It would sound better and less awkward"?

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

So, does the boss have less health, or are you just expected to do the same fight but minus the DDR segments that actually do good damage?

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

VoidBurger posted:

I think it's the same amount of health...? I'm not sure and I can't check if anyone else knows because there's literally only two GameFAQs for this game and they don't mention any difference in health, welp.
So the only thing changed about the boss is that it takes longer. This game just keeps getting better.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Ah. I see the game is continuing with it's theme of "Take a song I didn't even really like in the movie and then make it much, much worse"

Kinda impressive how bad these get sometimes.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

"Fa La La Wah-Ha" is kind of the best name that song could possibly be.

I'm still just wondering what the next boss song could possibly be. We've gone through most of them, with the few remaining being less fitting for a boss than Sally's song. What's gonna happen?

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

VoidBurger posted:

You'll find out in the next episode!
I figured! And I'm getting ready to be incredibly disappointed!

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

heenato posted:

We've gone through most of them, with the few remaining being less fitting for a boss than Sally's song. What's gonna happen?
I really wish I had not asked this question, because the answer was absolutely terrible.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

I have to say, that was probably one of the better songs even. Well, partly because it IS only a minute long, but for the most part the words didn't feel like they were crammed in willy nilly (With a few exceptions. The beginning, and one of Jack's lines) And some of the rhymes I thought were clever for this game at least.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Oh god. That butchering of that song. Jesus. That's one of my favorites too and it almost hurt to hear it there. There are so many ways the song could flow better, and it doesn't flow in any way here.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

I like how they pretty much ripped the going through the door scene directly from the movie. Just "Yeah. That's iconic. Do that. Exactly that. No, don't change it at all. That would be effort"

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Man, remember when we thought the new song lyrics were kind of clever?
Yeah. Because at that time they at least tried to make them rhyme correctly. They weren't even doing THAT here. I had to go actually look at the song afterwards, and holy poo poo.

One example is that they put "plan" and "Far" into lines that are supposed to rhyme with each other.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

On the bright side, it's mid september, that means most retailers are starting to get halloween stuff in again, that means the jack hunt is back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Wow. That final boss was...so drat anti-climatic. The first phase was so drat boring. It was either impossible to take damage, or impossible to give it. And then the second phase was...alright I guess? The song didn't sound too terrible.

Plus I'm slightly surprised that they used the cut verse. I didn't expect them to actually take the time to do any sort of research.

• Locked thread