Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

:siren: Join #TerrariaGoons on SynIRC.net to discuss Terraria and its mods! :siren:

Have you accidentally hidden the minimap?

Press the tab button to get it back!

Do not play singleplayer Terraria on a Large world!

It is designed for multiplayer experiences. Seriously, just use Medium or Small.

Getting an out-of-memory error?

Download the file at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fl4mzi7qomfvxxc/config.dat and replace the one in your Documents\My Games\Terraria directory. (thanks to rodney mullenkamp)

So what is Terraria?

Terraria is a 2D building-adventure game by Andrew “Redigit” Spinks where you fight monsters, craft armor, tools weaponry, and other goodies, and build yourself a giant, phallic home to call your own amidst NPCs who are there to help (or in some cases, hinder; gently caress you guide) the player. It was released on May 16th, 2011 and is currently :10bux: on Steam. Go get it, it’s loving awesome.

For a long time, it was thought that development on Terraria had completely ceased. After the 1.1 patch, Redigit even said he was stopping development on the game. Then there was a "minor" to-do in the community, when he sold the rights for console Terraria to another company entirely. However, all of that seems to have been forgiven once the 1.2 patch was announced.

As of today, Terraria is availble to play pretty much anywhere you like. Want to nerd out in front of the PC? You can do that. Want to play in front of your TV? PSN or 360 are your available flavors! Want to play on the go? iOS and Android versions are available! The official website also claims that Vita and Windows Phone versions will be available in the future.

So what sets this game apart?

Terraria is a game that is very focused on exploration. Your character starts with just five hearts and very little mana to work with, but with careful exploration and lots of perseverance, you can soon be rolling out with much more than that. Basically, Terraria could be best explained as the lovechild of Minecraft and the newer Castlevania games, but with less bugs and terrible voice acting and more meat and potatoes such as the ability to decorate your home with various niceties like armor racks and thrones, as well as having quite a few possible playstyles to work with. Want to be a heavily armored caster who can jump several stories? You can do that. Want to just sit back and build? Well, if you can deal with the zombies and the occasional blood moon, then that’s cool too. Want to grief people with traps and junk? Well, as of 1.2, you can build your own little Tomb of Horrors to trap people in where monsters don't activate floor traps but players can! Basically, you can do practically anything you want in Terraria.

But does it have multiplayer!?

Sure does! As of the 1.2 patch, it seems that running a multiplayer game will be even easier than before! When setting up a multiplayer server, the game will ask if you want it to automatically port-forward.

In case you want to set up a dedicated server, there are also two popular options: TShock and TServer, which can be found in your Terraria installation directory. This page on the wiki should also be of help to you.

So it has some new stuff? Great. What was the newest stuff added in?

The 1.2 update added quite a few changes. The big ones are...

New biomes!
The dungeon has been revamped!
New monsters!
At least three bosses!
New items!
Weather!
:frogsiren: A functional minimap :frogsiren:
The ability to walk up one tile heights!
New NPCs!
Additional inventory space!
The most common item types (dirt, stone, wood, etc) stack to 999!
You can dye your armor!

Here is a full list of the changes for this patch.

During worldgen, there is a chance that certain ores will be replaced with new versions! Thankfully the new ores use the same recipes that the older variants use.

Ore Replacements posted:

Copper <--> Tin
Iron <--> Lead
Silver <--> Tungsten
Gold <--> Platinum
Cobalt <--> Palladium
Mythril <--> Orichalcum
Adamantite <--> Titanium

There is a 1-in-4000 chance, while killing enemies in some biomes, that you will get a special key to drop. This key unlocks a chest in the dungeon with some super powerful equipment inside! Currently, there are five keys: one from the Hallow, one from the Corruption, one from the Crimson, one from the Jungle, and one from the Ice Biome. The equipment inside these chests are among the strongest in the game.

During worldgen, there is also a chance that the game will possibly generate a pyramid and a gigantic tree. These unique structures have special treasures inside if you're lucky enough to have them, and are brave enough to enter.

Whoa, that’s a lot of stuff. How am I even going to get started?

The game has a pretty in-depth wiki available to use. Be sure to take a look if you get stuck. Also do not be afraid to ask here in the thread.

For the most part, Terraria is a pretty freeform game. For your first day, you should concentrate on cutting trees down and building a shelter for the nighttime. Be sure to talk to the guide! He can help you with crafting, by showing you what the recipes are for any item you show to him.

Also be sure to use the left shift key liberally! The shift key is context sensitive, so if you hold the shift key while mousing over the ground, your pickaxe will be automatically selected, over trees and you'll use your axe, and so on. If you hold the shift button while over thin air, you'll hold a torch out to light your way!

Once you build a grappling hook, you don't need to keep it on your hotbar. Just use the "E" key while pointing at a surface to use it!

Awesome Houses:

These are some pretty awesome structures that people in the thread have posted.

by MrGreenShirt
by Koramei and Azurius

by I Said No
by Poison Mushroom
by Bible Challenger
by Ssthalar
by The White Dragon and friends

The White Dragon posted:

So this is our village, but it was like 150,000px wide so I kinda had to shrink it.

In the meantime, here are some miscellaneous tidbits you may find useful:

NPC Spawn Requirements posted:

Guide - Spawns if there is no guide
Merchant - At least 50 silver in inventory
Nurse - More than 5 hearts
Arms Dealer - Pretty much any gun or ammo in inventory
Demolitionist - A Grenade, Bomb or stick of Dynamite in your inventory. Also need a Merchant
Dryad - Kill a boss
Clothier - Kill Skeletron
Mechanic - Kill Skeletron, then find her in the Dungeon
Goblin Tinkerer - Defeat the Goblin Army, then find him in a cave
Wizard - Randomly found in the underground hallow
Dye Trader - Spawns if you have any dye or items that can be used to make dye
Painter - Spawns when you have at least 3 other NPCs
Party Girl - Has a 2% chance to spawn (checked every ingame day at dawn) when you have at least 7 other NPCs
Witch Doctor - Spawns after you defeat Queen Bee
Pirate - Spawns after you find and use a Pirate Map and defeat the resulting invasion
Truffle - Spawns when you have a house in a surface mushroom biome during Hard Mode
Steampunker - Spawns after you have defeated at least 1 Hard Mode boss
Cyborg - Defeat Plantera
Santa Claus - Spawns after defeating the Frost Legion, but only between December 15 and December 31

How to activate hard mode posted:

To activate Hardmode, acquire a guide voodoo doll from the underworld, then when you're ready, throw it into the lava in the underworld to summon the Wall of Flesh. Kill it, and then prepare to have your own rear end forcefed to you because god drat is it hard.

Onean posted:

15 of one type of gem will make a grappling hook of that color! It actually looks really cool.

Tired of constantly left clicking to swing your sword? Try using AutoHotKey! Shukaro has helpfully shared his AHK script below:

Shukaro posted:

XButton1::
While GetKeyState("XButton1", "P")
{
Click
Sleep 10
}
return

Tired of status debuffs? You can farm up an item that makes you completely immune to them! Though beware, because it takes a really loving long time to make...

Finally, some extra links you may find helpful:

Goon Steam Group
Installing Terraria on Linux
Installing Terraria on Mac

A tutorial by Captain_duck (Outdated, but it should still serve for getting the basics down)

Character viewer and editor by TJChap2840
TerraFirma Map Viewer
MoreTerra Map Viewer
TEdit Map Editor
Create customized worlds with this mod!

Previous thread

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If you don't have a lot of mobility yet, turn all the rope you find into rope coils. You can throw them and then climb them and they're amazing.

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005
I've got a Goon server up and running! Connection information in PGS.

Come build Goon Castles and Spelunk with us.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Might be worth mentioning in the OP that the console version doesn't have this update yet / that it's quite a bit more than just the extra content that was added there. Initially, I assumed it was just the PC users getting the extra stuff we did, but holy geeze, nope, waaaay more.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

More pictures for everyone.

That jungle exploration was me trying to find a hive. Still nothing.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I was exploring some Ice Caverns when I came across some Ice Skates. Man those made dealing with the ice breaking a lot easier. And the Bee Gun is by fare the coolest thing next to the flare gun. I also came across a Dye Maker and a Painter in my travels. No idea how I got either of them though.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Is there an easier way to make a lava moat without getting bucket after bucket and bringing it back?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
What resolution is everyone playing in? I tried 1920x1080 and the UI is a good size, but my character and enemies are so small, even on a 23 inch monitor. I dropped the resolution down which zooms in a bit, but then the minimap is a quarter of the screen.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I went to the Crimson and a horrifying thing with no face ripped me to pieces, so I went back to the Crimson with a boomerang and a horrifying giant motherfuck spider ripped me to pieces. I went back even more prepared, delved into a creepy red cave, and was swarmed by like a dozen horrifying giant motherfuck spiders and ripped to pieces.

I like this update.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

DrBox posted:

What resolution is everyone playing in? I tried 1920x1080 and the UI is a good size, but my character and enemies are so small, even on a 23 inch monitor. I dropped the resolution down which zooms in a bit, but then the minimap is a quarter of the screen.

I ended up doing some 1280xsomething which didn't give black bars on the side or top/bottom. Seemed to work best on a 1080p monitor. At least the minimap is quick to disable/switch if it's really necessary.

Does anyone else make their own boss arenas? I started anew with the update, and when I knew I was going to be facing the eater of worlds, I spent about 400 wood and built an enclosed arena with wood platforms at multiple levels and it made him a joke. So much so that I broke 3 more orbs without resting, defeated him again, then used a summon item for a third kill. Got a full shadow armor set and all the items crafted from it before even getting a gold-equivalent pick.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
I was hoping they'd update this before Starbound came out. The new stuff looks fun and being able to simply run without constantly jumping is the best thing.

This game is so painless to reinstall, it's only like 50MB. Because of that, I've found myself going back to it more often than the other games I tend to delete once I get bored of them.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
I'm playing a new guy (wood armor) and want to go through pretty much from scratch. I've put over 100 hours into the game but never touched multiplayer. Anyone else in a similar situation wanna play?

Steam is Sleigh Ride.

edit: Nevermind, multi won't work for me. Bummer.

mune fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 2, 2013

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Fat_Cow posted:

Is there an easier way to make a lava moat without getting bucket after bucket and bringing it back?

Hoookay, first you need to hope they haven't fixed the liquid dupe in the latest patch.

Next you need to make a splitter over your moat. You place walls like this:

#####
#_@_#
#_#_#
#_###

# is the wall, _ is empty, and @ is where you will want to be placing the liquid. You use a bucket filled with the liquid you want on that spot and you will end up with half the liquid going right into the collector thing, the rest going to where you want it, then you pick up the half in the collector and you have a full bucket again. Repeat until satisfied.

It still takes a while, so you can automate the process with a series of pumps and wires, but I'm more familiar with the carpal tunnel version.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
A previous post suggesting listening to podcasts while playing has helped perfectly. I never could listen to music and play, some OCD type issue where I felt I'd miss something.

As for the game, I am noticing a drop in overall performance. It ran fine before on my laptop and now it seems to stutter a little.

And gently caress ice floors.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Akett posted:

Hoookay, first you need to hope they haven't fixed the liquid dupe in the latest patch.

Next you need to make a splitter over your moat. You place walls like this:

#####
#_@_#
#_#_#
#_###

# is the wall, _ is empty, and @ is where you will want to be placing the liquid. You use a bucket filled with the liquid you want on that spot and you will end up with half the liquid going right into the collector thing, the rest going to where you want it, then you pick up the half in the collector and you have a full bucket again. Repeat until satisfied.

It still takes a while, so you can automate the process with a series of pumps and wires, but I'm more familiar with the carpal tunnel version.

Do I need a specific wall or can it be dirt?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Find some ice skates.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Fat_Cow posted:

Do I need a specific wall or can it be dirt?

Dirt is fine. The idea is that while dumping a bucket of liquid out produces a certain amount of liquid, buckets can only be "full" or "empty." So if you dump it out and half of it spills into your moat, and the other half into the little one-tile hole, you can refill the bucket from that hole and then dump it out again, etc.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So the dilemma, what size world do those of you going alone play at? And what's your reasoning? I've always gone medium because more... stuff seemed like a good thing; but going for a smaller, more consolidated world seems more appropriate for how long I usually stick with a world.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

Viperix posted:

So the dilemma, what size world do those of you going alone play at? And what's your reasoning? I've always gone medium because more... stuff seemed like a good thing; but going for a smaller, more consolidated world seems more appropriate for how long I usually stick with a world.

Medium/Large for your HomeBase/Construction then some smalls for clearing for loot and whatnot.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Silly question, but how do you find your IP info when hosting a game? Always have had this issue with Terraria.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Just to let you know, the clown appears to have a new drop, which seems to act like a shorter ranged, higher damage harpoon.

Also, based on early wiki analysis, the painter moves in when there's a livable room with a painting (I dunno, he's moved into at least two of my worlds already, so I guess some piece of old furniture works), the dye trader shows up if you have dye, or something that can become dye (squid ink, certain flowers), and the party girl shows up "if you like to party". That's all I know so far.

Oh yeah, when it says that soul drop rates were increased, it really wasn't lying.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Ashsaber posted:

Just to let you know, the clown appears to have a new drop, which seems to act like a shorter ranged, higher damage harpoon.

Also, based on early wiki analysis, the painter moves in when there's a livable room with a painting (I dunno, he's moved into at least two of my worlds already, so I guess some piece of old furniture works), the dye trader shows up if you have dye, or something that can become dye (squid ink, certain flowers), and the party girl shows up "if you like to party". That's all I know so far.

Oh yeah, when it says that soul drop rates were increased, it really wasn't lying.

Add this stuff to the OP.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I said this near the end of the last thread, but it bears repeating I think. In the rain goldfish grow little feet and walk around. :kimchi:

Corn Nuts
Jul 16, 2003

Pillbug

Harlock posted:

Silly question, but how do you find your IP info when hosting a game? Always have had this issue with Terraria.

For internet:
http://www.whatismyip.com/

For LAN (Windows):
Start -> Run -> cmd -> ipconfig

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Rope owns.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Corn Nuts posted:

For internet:
http://www.whatismyip.com/

For LAN (Windows):
Start -> Run -> cmd -> ipconfig
Thanks, still doesn't fix the connection issues my friends and I are having. Time to redownload Hamachi.

Corn Nuts
Jul 16, 2003

Pillbug

Harlock posted:

Thanks, still doesn't fix the connection issues my friends and I are having. Time to redownload Hamachi.

I can't really test this right now, but if you're using Windows 7 or Vista, you can try enabling network discovery:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001367.htm

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

So I went back to the dungeon after opening hardmode, and now there seems to be a hardmode dungeon! Good times and deaths were had, but I came across a few locked chests in there. They seemed to be themed like crimson, floating island, ice, and jungle. Does anyone have tips for how to get these keys? I assume it would have something to do with the associated biomes, but I haven't found anything like keys in them.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Is there a known reason why someone might be lagging when connected on my computer with me doing host and play? She says it's most likely the fault of her connection, but I just want to make sure.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

kazil posted:

So I went back to the dungeon after opening hardmode, and now there seems to be a hardmode dungeon! Good times and deaths were had, but I came across a few locked chests in there. They seemed to be themed like crimson, floating island, ice, and jungle. Does anyone have tips for how to get these keys? I assume it would have something to do with the associated biomes, but I haven't found anything like keys in them.

I know that the jungle themed one requires a key dropped from Plantera. Dunno about any of the others.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
23 diamonds and 29 sapphires out of ONE small room I found underground. They were not kidding about finding stuff easier.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I have found absolutely no iron, silver or gold. Is that normal? I have not played in a while and just started a new world for this update. The new ores seem to work fine and all but I miss them. :(

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Death Himself posted:

I have found absolutely no iron, silver or gold. Is that normal? I have not played in a while and just started a new world for this update. The new ores seem to work fine and all but I miss them. :(

I think the ore is an either or: You either have copper or tin, etc.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Akett posted:

I know that the jungle themed one requires a key dropped from Plantera. Dunno about any of the others.

Follow up question: How do I summon Plantera?

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Death Himself posted:

During worldgen, there's a random chance that some of your "classic" ores may get replaced with slightly better ores. Copper with tin, gold with platinum, etc. They act basically exactly the same as their vanilla counterparts, except the gear you craft out of them has slightly better stats.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

kazil posted:

Follow up question: How do I summon Plantera?

In a hardmode world you have to kill a hardmode boss, then find a pink flower in the jungle. I don't know what it looks like, and I'm rather sure it needs to be in a hardmode world because I scoured my non hardmode jungle and found nothing.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Do the new props that grow on grass stop jungle tree growth, by any change?

Edit: Also, ropes need to be in the OP in huge bold text. They are awesome.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 2, 2013

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Tunahead posted:

During worldgen, there's a random chance that some of your "classic" ores may get replaced with slightly better ores. Copper with tin, gold with platinum, etc. They act basically exactly the same as their vanilla counterparts, except the gear you craft out of them has slightly better stats.

I am trying to play this version without wiki's and whatnot, but thank you. I did not know the equivalency, I've drat near dug to hell looking for gold with 4 hearts and wood armor.

Arcology
Nov 6, 2012
Is anyone else having trouble hosting a server? When I go in and select the Host & Play option, it prompts me to select a character and a world, enter a password, and then it just sits there saying "Starting Server..."

Needless to say, the server never starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Anyone know where I can get a Meat Grinder so I can make a Meat castle. Is it just from the crimson version of shadow orbs or random chest?

• Locked thread