Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
So I asked this in the last thread before it locked, but where or how do you get the siege weapons, namely the iron cannon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Is there a recipe for ropes? I want more ropes. Ropes fuckin' own.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

LemonAIDS posted:

Anyone know where I can get a Meat Grinder so I can make a Meat castle. Is it just from the crimson version of shadow orbs or random chest?

According to the wiki it's a rare/uncommon drop from crimson enemies.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Arcology posted:

Is anyone else having trouble hosting a server? When I go in and select the Host & Play option, it prompts me to select a character and a world, enter a password, and then it just sits there saying "Starting Server..."

Needless to say, the server never starts.

It's a bit more complicated than that. Here's the guide I used

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Is there a recipe for ropes? I want more ropes. Ropes fuckin' own.

Don't think there is one, however the merchant sells them for like 7/10 copper a piece, which makes it a bit more convenient, IMHO.

Also, bones are now somewhat useful. They can be made into walls, doors, work tables, like 4 new piano colours, and chairs off the top of my head. Plus there's a bone wand drop in the dungeon (for those who haven't rushed there immediately) which lets you place them down as blocks. Now your endless piles of bones can actually be usefull.

Also, don't be afraid to bug the guide with any old item from the material category, since there are so many new combinations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ashsaber posted:

Don't think there is one, however the merchant sells them for like 7/10 copper a piece, which makes it a bit more convenient, IMHO.

Also, bones are now somewhat useful. They can be made into walls, doors, work tables, like 4 new piano colours, and chairs off the top of my head. Plus there's a bone wand drop in the dungeon (for those who haven't rushed there immediately) which lets you place them down as blocks. Now your endless piles of bones can actually be usefull.

Also, don't be afraid to bug the guide with any old item from the material category, since there are so many new combinations.

There's a whole set of cactus armor and weapons not, and furniture, and a workbench.

Heck, you can make doors out of almost anything now it seems, I have an Iron Door leading to my basement.

I've got my one friend going on about their awesome Ice Sword, all I found was an Ice Boomerang, which has amazing knockback and is the only reason I survived crossing the Crimson to find the jungle.

Now I just need more Tungsten to finish my armor and survive in said Crimson long enough to do something useful. But goddamn man, those spiders.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
We spent an hour murdering skeletons in the dungeon tonight and I have to say, we should have boomsticks for that sort of work.

Found four unique chests down there, each needing it's own key - one was icy, another looked like a fang or something. Anyone found any new keys yet? I suspect they may be hard mode drops but I figured it was worth asking.

Also, how many new npcs have we found? I've seen the dye guy, the painter (we had no paintings, so I guess he just spawns?) and the party girl so far.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I'm really liking the new magic staves for the early game. I made myself an Emerald Staff and it's doing wonders for crowd control and the Brain of Cthulu (who reminds me of Phantoon from Super Metroid in ways) while not being super spammable because I'm still low on max mana.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Played about an hour or so of this after work, it's worth it alone for the mobility upgrades like slope-running and rope (and those were the only ones I've seen so far!). It's just too bad that every cave I've seen so far is flooded, and I don't have any glowsticks for exploring them :(

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

C-Euro posted:

Played about an hour or so of this after work, it's worth it alone for the mobility upgrades like slope-running and rope (and those were the only ones I've seen so far!). It's just too bad that every cave I've seen so far is flooded, and I don't have any glowsticks for exploring them :(

Dig out air pockets as you go! It's a challenge but eventually you'll find a bigger cave to drain it into.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Minarchist posted:

Dig out air pockets as you go! It's a challenge but eventually you'll find a bigger cave to drain it into.

I don't remember having luck this bad in that regard but I could just be blocking out that part of the early game. Speaking of bad luck, does the enemy spawn rate seem higher to you all? If I leave my living area I always have two or three enemies chasing me, it made building a house nearly impossible at the start.

I really wish I could keep playing though because I'm getting that old Terraria itch back, but with work+commute taking up nearly 12 hours of my day each day time is tight :argh:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Trasson posted:

I'm really liking the new magic staves for the early game. I made myself an Emerald Staff and it's doing wonders for crowd control and the Brain of Cthulu (who reminds me of Phantoon from Super Metroid in ways) while not being super spammable because I'm still low on max mana.

I was just about to post this. It's a really amazing weapon for how early you can make it and once you get a decent mana pool (now easier because mana crystals only cost 5 stars) you can spam the hell out of it even without a magic set since it only costs 4 mana to cast.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So this seems a tad crazy, but I think Chlorophyte Ore grows in hardmode jungles. Like I saw a mud block get converted into Ore.

I've seen the Plantera summoning flower, it's surrounded by glowing red jungle foliage. Ain't fought it yet as I want to prepare some.

You get the golden hearts by finding life fruit in the hardmode jungle. They grow as plants, but I don't know how this works fully, if they all grow at once and you need to find them or if they grow over time, but the latter seems more likely.

Akett fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 2, 2013

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So what's with all the coloured chests in the Dungeon? Do coloured keys only drop in Hardmode? Also, the Meat Grinder is a hammer made out of the Crimtane.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm also coming across a lot of water underground, wonder if this is a change to the random generator.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

So what's with all the coloured chests in the Dungeon? Do coloured keys only drop in Hardmode? Also, the Meat Grinder is a hammer made out of the Crimtane.

There's a meat grinder machine that you place like a workshop that drops from crimson enemies. I don't know if it needs to be hardmode or not.

I know the key to the green chest drops off Plantera, but I don't know about any other keys.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I have come to the conclusion that my jungle just plain doesn't have hives.

:smith:

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 2, 2013

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Don't worry about it, hives don't exactly have the best loot. If you really want to find a hive just make another world and hope there's one there.

e: Holy poo poo, the Clorophyte armor is awesome. It has a crystal that lights up the area a bit and shoots crystal leaves at enemies. It doesn't kill everything for you, but it keeps chaff like slimes off your back while you work so long as you don't move too fast.

Akett fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 2, 2013

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

The change to Gravitation potions is so, so, so, so very bad. So very very bad.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SirSamVimes posted:

Honestly, look in every goddamn little nook and cranny where you might think the hive could possibly fit. My friend and I only found the one in our jungle by random chance when digging into a wall some. There's a good chance it might not be visible from the outside.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

kazil posted:

The change to Gravitation potions is so, so, so, so very bad. So very very bad.

Well? Don't leave us in suspense. :ohdear:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Tunahead posted:

During worldgen, there's a random chance that some of your "classic" ores may get replaced with slightly better ores. Copper with tin, gold with platinum, etc. They act basically exactly the same as their vanilla counterparts, except the gear you craft out of them has slightly better stats.

What is the point of this feature? All it does is make you regen a new world until you have the new ores!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Bloody Pom posted:

It now rotates the screen instead of just your character.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Splode posted:

What is the point of this feature? All it does is make you regen a new world until you have the new ores!

... except there's literally no difference between them beyond the cosmetic?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

It was mentioned in the changelog, instead of your character flipping when you reverse gravity, the whole world flips and the char remains the same. I imagine it's disorienting as gently caress.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

President Ark posted:

I can't be sure with the metals yet, but there is definitely a difference in the new woods in terms of build quality of items.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mazz posted:

I can't be sure with the metals yet, but there is definitely a difference in the new woods in terms of build quality of items.

The new woods are pretty easily picked up if nothing else. Don't think the wood from the Corruption and the Crimson are any different stat-wise. Same with alternate ores. Just there to be different and have a different look about them.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Splode posted:

President Ark posted:

The real bullshit thing that makes you have to make new worlds is the rarity of some of the above ground features like giant trees and pyramids. I've genned five new worlds since 1.2 hit looking for them and found one pyramid and three giant trees, only one of which had any loot.

There might be other things that aren't guaranteed to generate, those are just the ones I know about.

Akett fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 2, 2013

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

The new woods are pretty easily picked up if nothing else. Don't think the wood from the Corruption and the Crimson are any different stat-wise. Same with alternate ores. Just there to be different and have a different look about them.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 2, 2013

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

He was saying Shadewood and the equivalent from the Crimson are the same, not that they're the same as normal wood.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I meant that the Crimson/Corruption woods are the same and just a reskin, just like the ores. Of course some tiers of wood are higher than others.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The new ores also yield slightly better gear, usually to the tune of +1 defense on armor sets and +1 or +2 damage on weapons.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

That's not a comparison that works here, shadewood and regular wood can exist in the same world, shadewood is just the wood in the corruption I think, that or in the crimson, they have different kinds. The real comparison would be between the corruption and the crimson woods, because they can't spawn in the same world normally.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Even if there is a tiny difference between some varieties of ore/whatever, it's generally not going to mean much because you're probably going to blast past those tiers quickly enough.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I was drawing the connection that you can make any wood item with any wood (i.e. crafting stations like the sawmill), but with things like tools the outcome will differ by quality. Cooper/tin, lead/iron, etc can similarly produce the same items (like a lead anvil). Basically, it's not immediately safe to say they are the same because the woods aren't the same even though they can build the same things. The wiki also mentioned the alt ores do give slightly different item stats.

But yes, if there is any difference, it's probably negligible enough. Well maybe at least until we see those hard-mode alt ores.

EDIT: Or we could've just asked the guide

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 2, 2013

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

We spent an hour murdering skeletons in the dungeon tonight and I have to say, we should have boomsticks for that sort of work.

Good news:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Jesus Christ, I was heading over to my jungle to try and get some chlorowhatsit and it became a solar eclipse. gently caress me that was ugly. :gonk:

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
With the new patch, I've been wanting to get back into Terraria. I'll only be playing single-player, are there any recommendations on world size?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dapper Dan posted:

With the new patch, I've been wanting to get back into Terraria. I'll only be playing single-player, are there any recommendations on world size?

Small for sure if by yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

How are you exporting the map? My friend can't run the mapping or he gets OOMs, so I want to share mine.

• Locked thread