Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm just printscreening it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Hit escape, next to your character's life bar are 4 paper like icons. The far left one is a fullscreen 100% opacity map of what you've explored so far.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So I found a Spider Nest. There was absolutely nothing of use in there. I don't know if there's a drop from the spiders I'm missing or if there's something there in hardmode. Either way, if you're afraid of spiders and aren't in hardmode you can feel free to ignore nests.

Akett fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 2, 2013

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Minarchist posted:

Hit escape, next to your character's life bar are 4 paper like icons. The far left one is a fullscreen 100% opacity map of what you've explored so far.

Or just press M

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
You know those awesome accessories you used previously such as the Obsidian Shield and the Specter Boots?

Ask the guide about them :)

In fact, if you get an accessory, just ask the guide about it 'coz it probably makes something new.

Specter Boots + Anklet of the Winds + Aglet = LIGHTNING BOOTS

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
What is the order you're supposed to do things? It's been forever since I've played, and I'm kind of just wandering around.

I killed the Eye of Chtulu and Worlds guy. I've got full demonite armor, plenty of meteorite. I ran around in the jungle for a while, and then got promptly crushed by the Queen Bee. Same with the Dungeon dude. I've been to hell, but didn't last very long. I'm thinking I just need to get some obsidian, but I'm not sure.

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
No matter what I try, I can't seem to get AutoHotKey to work with left clicking while holding down a key since the new patch. It's absolutely killing my wrist trying to use these new wands. Please tell me there's a way to fix this.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Fat_Cow posted:

Is there an easier way to make a lava moat without getting bucket after bucket and bringing it back?

Here's my solution:

You only need two buckets of lava, PLUS all the loot the monsters drop doesn't get destroyed by the lava. You can simply get it by standing near the lower windows, while watching the monsters suffer.

Also, as an added bonus, the shape of the trap is a monument to your power over the world you have just penetrated conquered.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 2, 2013

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
This is probably a dumb question that may not have an answer yet, but how do you get an Eskimo Coat? I know the Hoods and Pants drop off the Eskimo Zombies, but they haven't dropped a coat after dropping like 3 hoods and 3 pants. Do they not drop the coat, or am I just being absurdly unlucky here?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I've only gotten the coat off them, so it must just be poo poo-luck.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So I underestimated the Wall of Flesh, and now demons have stopped spawning in the Underworld.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently they're just really rare.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 2, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So I figured I'd start out a 1.2 world today and rush it into a servicable Small Hardmode world.

I spawned in the forest with two Queen Bees attacking me and the guide. :psypop: I have no idea how or why this happened, and I've never found any actual hives, but I'm drat lucky I started the world with my 1.12 endgame character; even then it was a clusterfuck. It was worth it in the end because now I have a BEE CAPE.

I think it was a glitch, but it's certainly set the tone for my adventures in 1.2 hardmode. loving hell, hardmode jungle and hardmode dungeon are psychotic.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Hell looks pretty awesome now. And it looks like you can make doors and platforms out of obsidian now.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I ran a server for a bunch of IRC friends and one of them built a swag ice fortress in the snow biome. I got inspired and made one in the desert!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I stole an obsidian bed from Hell.

Edit: Beaten with one in a pyramid.

HoratioRash
Nov 20, 2012

I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto
Has anyone managed to make a reliable automated honey generator? Pyramid bucket duping is way troo slow, pump-honey interaction is bugged(It comes out as water) and the infinite waterfall doesnt work anymore.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Quick question regarding hardmode ores:

Is there an alternate version of Cobalt? I just entered hardmode and I've got Cobalt, Orichalcum, and Titanium. I thought there'd be a Cobalt variant.

Kraden
Mar 22, 2010

Potential BFF posted:

Quick question regarding hardmode ores:

Is there an alternate version of Cobalt? I just entered hardmode and I've got Cobalt, Orichalcum, and Titanium. I thought there'd be a Cobalt variant.

There is. It's called Palladium, but you only get one version of a single tiered ore per world, as far as I know, so it's either Palladium or Cobalt.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"Oh, the hardmode Dungeon can't be that ba-"

Aganaer was decapitated by Inferno.

:stare:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

I stole an obsidian bed from Hell.

Edit: Beaten with one in a pyramid.
That is a major beaten!

Having not played this game since week 1 (I played it 80ish or so hours) this new patch is already sucking me in hard. I spent all day exploring caves and killing monsters. What a great game. :)

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
How do you build slopes? I cannot find it anywhere.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Hammer the ground a few times to cycle through the slope options.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Kraden posted:

There is. It's called Palladium, but you only get one version of a single tiered ore per world, as far as I know, so it's either Palladium or Cobalt.

Ah okay, I thought the new ores were an all or nothing deal, thanks.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Potential BFF posted:

Ah okay, I thought the new ores were an all or nothing deal, thanks.

Nah, the game goes through several a or b checks:

Corruption OR Crimson, with the associated items - Demonite/Eater of Worlds/Shadow Orbs vs Crimtane/Brain of Cthulhu/Crimson Hearts
Copper OR Tin
Iron OR Lead
Silver OR Tungsten
Gold OR Platinum
Cobalt OR Palladium
Mythril OR Orichalcum
Adamantine OR Titanium

There MIGHT be a check between Living Wood OR Pyramid, but I can't confirm that; I've certainly never seen both in one world though.

EDIT: v Yeah, that's what I meant. Good to know they CAN both be generated in the same world, at least.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 2, 2013

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

KataraniSword posted:

There MIGHT be a check between Living Wood OR Pyramid, but I can't confirm that; I've certainly never seen both in one world though.

If by living wood you mean the giant tree with the trunk extending underground, which I'm pretty sure you do then you can have both. The small world I made earlier tonight has one not too far from the other.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
First gold chest I found underground had a flying carpet in it. Amazing quality of life improvement!

There are chests *everywhere* now, it's glorious.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I regret having gotten the hook early this time round because it means less zipping around on ropelines and wall-jumping.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've recently inherited an iPad, and decided there's too much free time in my life. A couple of questions before purchase, though:

- How well do touch controls work?
- Can I share saves between iOS and PC somehow?
- When is the 1.2 patch hitting the iOS version? App Store still says 1.01

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Don't suppose there's a way to edit 1.2 character names yet? The ol' TerrariForm editor understandably crashes when loading a 1.2 character file.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

KataraniSword posted:

Nah, the game goes through several a or b checks:

Corruption OR Crimson, with the associated items - Demonite/Eater of Worlds/Shadow Orbs vs Crimtane/Brain of Cthulhu/Crimson Hearts
Copper OR Tin
Iron OR Lead
Silver OR Tungsten
Gold OR Platinum
Cobalt OR Palladium
Mythril OR Orichalcum
Adamantine OR Titanium

You can get ores your world doesn't have from extractionator or w/e it's called. It's a device you drop slush or silt blocks into and get coins, gems and ores in return.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pyromancer posted:

You can get ores your world doesn't have from extractionator or w/e it's called. It's a device you drop slush or silt blocks into and get coins, gems and ores in return.
Can you get hardmode ores out of it? And if so do you need to have the world be in hardmode?

Because if so I think I should go find a bunch of slush and silt and then save them until hardmode.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Man this update is awesome, it breathed a lot of life into the game. Started over with a clean slate character last night and since the first special item i found was a leaf wand I am going with making a tree home. Acorns have turned into my friend since I need all the replanting capability I can get. Going with Stars in bottles for all the lighting too so it has a little extra ambience.

I don't know how I ever played this without ropes either, because those are drat handy. I'm making my tree house with ropes as the only method of vertical movement.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Zereth posted:

Can you get hardmode ores out of it? And if so do you need to have the world be in hardmode?

Because if so I think I should go find a bunch of slush and silt and then save them until hardmode.

No, it doesn't give any hardmode ores(maybe it will when hardmode is activated but I didn't get to that yet)

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I need to create a new world to see all the new ore/dungeon stuff, right?

edit: I just activated hard mode in a pre-1.2 world and the demon altars are giving me Titanium, so it seems existing worlds can get the unique ores, but you probably have to have activated hard mode after 1.2.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 2, 2013

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

You need to generate a new world to get any new pre-hardmode ores, as well as new dungeons and mini-dungeons. Some existing stuff like sky islands have also been radically revamped so you'll need to generate a new world for those. There's also a couple of special cases that have a random chance of appearing at world generation so you may have to generate multiple worlds to see them, such as the special desert dungeon (multiple ones can generate in the same world), and the Special Tree.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

This update is amazing. Anything I find and write off (except for tin) suddenly becomes useful 30 minutes later. I laughed at rope as soon as I got a hook (off the first skeleton I killed on this map), but now I have a rope hellevator and it is the best thing ever.

I got the ice skates before I really hit any ice, so I didn't appreciate that until my server buddy crashed through ice next to me for the fifth time. :smuggo: I also got lucky and found the "seven seconds of lava immunity" item from my first golden chest, so that's made moving around the lower parts of the world so much easier. :allears:

I've only put four or five hours into the new version so far and it's already the most fun I've had in Terraria. Increasing stack sizes to 999 and doubling chest sizes were the best things to happen to this game.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

maketakunai posted:

You know those awesome accessories you used previously such as the Obsidian Shield and the Specter Boots?

Ask the guide about them :)

In fact, if you get an accessory, just ask the guide about it 'coz it probably makes something new.
Any item that can be crafted into something else will have "Material" in its text.
Check EVERYTHING for "Material" and put them on the Guide and look at all the poo poo there is to build.
Even if you think you know everything that can be built from an item, put it on him anyways. You may be surprised. so many wings!

Then clean up those bricks when you discover that previously endgame items have at least two more stages to go.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I started playing this in earnest last night with a friend and our first world had the Corruption, so I convinced him to try a second world to get the Crimson instead. So far we haven't found either one of the biomes, but we're seeing veins of a glowing red ore (couldn't mine it with copper), and I found something that resembles a Demon Altar but looks like it's made out of flesh and eyeballs. Is that the Crimson equivalent of the Demon Altar, and is that red ore Crimtane? If so, does that mean our Evil Biome du Jour is the Crimson for this map?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah the horrific meatboxes are Crimson altars. You've got Crimson, son. Enjoy your nightmarish demon spiders and terrifying toothy ghouls.

In other news, I'm listening to the eclipse music and holy gently caress it owns :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Fortis posted:

I started playing this in earnest last night with a friend and our first world had the Corruption, so I convinced him to try a second world to get the Crimson instead. So far we haven't found either one of the biomes, but we're seeing veins of a glowing red ore (couldn't mine it with copper), and I found something that resembles a Demon Altar but looks like it's made out of flesh and eyeballs. Is that the Crimson equivalent of the Demon Altar, and is that red ore Crimtane? If so, does that mean our Evil Biome du Jour is the Crimson for this map?

Yep, that is Crimson
It is different in layout from corruption too: corruption has several vertical shafts and a horisontal room joining them halfway to bottom and shadow orbs; crimson has a single zigzag entrance from surface leading to a big round room and hearts are found in short radial tunnels going from that room. Look around for entrance, it's usually in a side of sizeable hill made of crimstone.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 2, 2013

• Locked thread