Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Season 2 of Arrow premieres on the CW on Wednesday 9th October at 8pm EST. But “why should I watch it?” I hear you ask, “It's a CW show!” That's a very good question. Luckily, I have a whole load of very good answers.

• Plots that develop at whiplash speed
  • Superhero stories grounded in reality
  • A never-ending list of fabulous geekbait guest stars
  • A leading man trained in parkour who does many of his own stunts
  • Some of the finest action sequences on television
  • Lots of men with their shirts off, if you like that sort of thing
  • There's flashbacks and an island so if you squint it's like you're watching Lost

But seriously, watch this show. It's so drat good.

:siren: SEASON 1 SPOILERS FOLLOW :siren:

Stephen Amell is... OLIVER QUEEN
A boating “accident” left millionaire playboy Oliver Queen stranded on a desert island called Lian Yu for five years while mourning the death of his father, who tasked Oliver to right his wrongs moments before his suicide. Despite its isolated appearance, the island was home to a faction of mercenaries, a Chinese political prisoner and a rugged Australian. These circumstances forged Oliver into a man – he killed the mercenary leader and helped clear their influence from the island. Five years later, Oliver returns to his home with a list of names that are responsible for corrupting Starling City. Setting up his lair in the basement of his new nightclub, he slowly brings people into his operations as he works his way through his targets under the mantle of the Hood – all while reconnecting with his ex-girlfriend, Laurel. However, his true enemy is Malcolm Merlyn, the father of his best friend, Tommy. With Oliver's secret tearing the friendship apart, he faces off with Malcolm in an attempt to prevent his plan of decimating the city with an earthquake machine. While Oliver beats Malcolm, he is unable to predict his back up machine that ensures the destruction of the city's most rundown area, the Glades. With his world falling down around him, Oliver races to save Laurel only to find that Tommy has got there first at a fatal cost. With Malcolm's plan a success, Oliver slips away into the night to escape his loss. Oliver Queen has failed his city.
Abs Status: Substantial

Katie Cassady is... LAUREL LANCE
When Oliver was seemingly lost at sea with the sister of his girlfriend, Laurel, she was forced to miss him and hate him at the same time. By the time Oliver returns to Starling City, she has moved on and soon finds herself in a relationship with his best friend, Tommy. Dedication to her job as a legal aid attorney makes the relationship hard but it is her lingering feelings for Oliver that lead Tommy to break it off. Laurel manages to reconnect with Oliver and they resume their relationship just prior to the destruction of the Glades. When her office is wrecked in the earthqauke, Laurel finds herself trapped but it is Tommy who answers her pleas for help. He saves her, but at the cost of his own life. With Oliver now grieving over Tommy's death, Laurel has lost her two closest friends.
Abs Status: Toned

David Ramsay is... JOHN DIGGLE
After serving in Afghanistan, Diggle retires from the army and transitions into the role of private security, where he soon takes on a position with the Queen family as bodyguard to the newly returned Oliver. While his unexplained absences make the job difficult, Oliver's actions are soon explained as Diggle is poisoned and Oliver is forced to bring him to his lair to save his life. Despite his reservations, Diggle accepts Oliver's invitation to join his cause in order to make sure he doesn't lose his humanity. While his work with Oliver continues he finds himself growing closer to the girlfriend of his dead brother, Andy, and they begin to form a relationship. However, his life is twisted when the mercenary known as Deadshot returns to Starling City and Diggle discovers that he is responsible for Andy's death. Despite many attempts, Diggle has not yet been able to bring Deadshot to justice and avenge his brother's death.
Abs Status: Startling

Willa Holland is... THEA QUEEN
With her family torn apart by the boating accident that left Oliver on the island, Thea was left to cope with her loss with only a distant mother for company. Five years pass and Thea deals with her grief with a regular cocktail of alcohol and drugs and while she is happy to see her brother return they soon come into conflict over her new rebellious nature. On the night of her birthday party, she takes a new hyper-drug known as Vertigo to repress her anger at her mother's assumed affair and goes for a drive, crashing her car. Charged by the police for drug possession she is sentenced to community service at Laurel's law office where one day her bag is stolen by local street-thief, Roy. Thea tracks him down to claim back her bag and the two begin to connect, eventually forming a relationship. Thus she is drawn into Roy's search for the Hood, unaware that the man she hunts is living in her own home. When her mother announces that she is complicit in a conspiracy to level the Glades Thea is torn between two of those closest to her and she chooses Roy, rushing away to save him despite her mother's pleas. With her mother now in prison and Oliver deep in mourning for his failures, Thea finds her family is further apart than ever.
Abs Status: Robust

Emily Bett Rickards is... FELICITY SMOAK
A skilled computer programmer and hacker, Felicity works in the tech department of Queen Consolidated where her skills are soon noticed by Oliver. He turns to her for aid in much of his work as the vigilante, although his excuses get increasingly unbelievable. However, Oliver is not the only one to notice her talents – she is also noticed by company CEO and Oliver's stepfather, Walter, who brings her in to his enquiries into the conspiracies of his wife, Moira. Sadly, his sudden disappearance puts an end to their investigation. Felicity's life is changed forever when Oliver is shot during a mission as the Hood and turns to her for help, revealing his alter ego to her in the process. Felicity returns him to his lair where he is patched up by Diggle and upon regaining consciousness he asks her to join the team. She initially agrees to help Oliver track down Walter but her initial reservations about the Hood's work are broken down as she grows more committed to the cause. But when Malcolm Merlyn succeeds in his plan to bring down the Glades, Felicity learns the hardest truth of all: sometimes the good guys lose.
Abs Status: Mysterious

Colton Haynes is... ROY HARPER
Growing up in the Glades, Roy soon learned the difference between the haves and the have-nots and turned to a life of petty crime, building up a long list of misdemeanours. However, a simple bag theft introduces him to Thea, who refuses to accept his pity story and challenges his world view. They start a relationship, although their different social strata proves an obstacle as Roy is too proud to accept Thea's help. But when Roy is abducted by a crazed gunman, he is forced to confront his own failings and admits that he has wasted his life. The Hood saves his life and gives it new meaning, instilling in Roy the desire to become a hero in his own right. In order to fulfil his new dream, Roy and Thea attempt to find the Hood so that Roy can join his cause. Their hunt is stalled the night of the earthquake but in the chaos Roy comes into his own, choosing to risk his own life to save those of others. As his world falls down around him, Roy learns that not all heroes wear a hood.
Abs Status: Durable

Manu Bennett is... SLADE WILSON
Australian Secret Intelligence Service agent Slade arrived on Lian Yu with his partner, Billy, to rescue a Chinese political prisoner, Yao Fei. On their arrival, they were captured by a mercenary force led by a man named Fyers but while Slade managed to escape with Yao Fei, Billy refused to join them and allied with Fyers instead. Slade remained stuck on the island, evading Fyers's men until he was discovered by Oliver. While he initially viewed Oliver as a liability, he was impressed with Oliver's determination to survive and began to train him in combat. Slade led Oliver on an attack on a radio tower in an attempt to call in a rescue plane and during the operation, he was forced to face Billy and killed him, although he was shot by Fyers in the process. Unable to protect himself, Slade had to rely on Oliver and became convinced with his skills in the field. Slade accepted Oliver as a partner and the two men began to work against Fyers, managing to rescue Yao Fei's daughter, Shaido. Learning that Fyers planned to start an economic crash by blowing up an aeroplane, the trio moved against him and prevented his plans, although not before he killed Yao Fei. In the aftermath, Fyers took Shaido hostage and offered Slade and Oliver passage off the island. However, Oliver refused and made Fyers the first man he killed with his bow. The trio were left stranded on the island with no apparent hope of rescue. Slade's current whereabouts are unknown.
Abs Status: Threatening

Susanne Thompson is... MOIRA QUEEN
When the deaths of her husband and son were reported, Moira was devastated. However, she held a terrible secret – she was complicit in their deaths, which had been arranged by Malcolm Merlyn in order to protect the Undertaking. When Oliver is discovered alive and well, she is remarried to Walter, a long-time business associate of Oliver's father. With Malcolm still fully committed to the cause, Moira feels she has no choice but to work with him. When Walter begins to investigate her ties to the boating accident, Moira allows him to be abducted by Malcolm. As the Hood starts to close in on the conspiracy, Moira's regret leads her to attempt to undermine Malcolm's plan. She allies with another of their party, Frank, but Malcolm discovers their misdeeds and executes Frank, although Moira escapes his notice. While the Hood manages to rescue Walter from his captivity, Walter has been so damaged from the experience that he walks out on Moira. Meanwhile, Oliver's suspicion mounts until he eventually has no choice but to accept his mother's guilt and in doing so he tricks Moira into revealing the truth about the Undertaking. Unable to accept being the cause of Moira's justifications, Oliver urges her to reveal the truth – pleas she listens to when she calls a press conference to announce her involvement in a conspiracy to destroy the Glades. Now charged with conspiracy, Moira sits in prison facing an uncertain future.
Abs Status: Covered

Paul Blackthorne is... QUENTIN LANCE
After the death of his daughter, Sarah, in the Queen's boating accident, Detective Quentin Lance became withdrawn from his family, drinking his demons away until his wife left him. With no other family left, Quentin grew very protective of his surviving daughter, Laurel. Oliver's return from the island comes as a shock and Quentin immediately holds a grudge against him for making it through the ordeal, a grudge only matched by his desire to bring the Hood to justice. However, the Hood starts to reach out to Quentin, occasionally exchanging information to help each other complete their goals. When his ex-wife, Dinah, returns to Starling City under the belief that Sarah is alive, Quentin refuses to join her in her investigations. Laurel attempts to resolve their conflicts, leading Dinah to reveal that she allowed Sarah to join Oliver on the boat. Quentin and Dinah manage to find closure and part amiably. Quentin's hunt for the Hood continues but when it comes to light that Malcolm Merlyn is planning to level the Glades, Quentin chooses to aid the Hood in his attempts to prevent it. Quentin tells his lieutenant about his connection to the Hood, giving up his job in order to save the people in the Glades. While officially taken off the case, the Hood calls on him to prevent the triggering of Malcolm's earthquake device and so Quentin races through the underground. When it appears that his efforts will be in vain he contacts Laurel with a tearful farewell but Felicity pulls through with advice and he is able to deactivate the trigger – although a second device ensures the success of Malcolm's plans. With his decreased status at the police department, Quentin now finds himself with less authority and his loyalties remain torn.
Abs Status: Unpredictable

Deadpool posted:

Hello Arrow thread. You guys were really good last season so though I don't feel I need to add any dumb rules like in the S.H.I.E.L.D. thread I do want to try and make sure the comic talk stays controllable this season. Most of you have heard about the show ramping up the comic related stuff this season. And that's cool, it's definitely something we'll want to talk about. But let's try to remember this is a TV show and not a comic book. No need to bring in lots of backstory from the comic when it may be of no relation to the show. Also no posting comic book panels unless it's in direct relation to the show. Talking about cool little nods to the comics is fine. And Arrow seems to do that a lot. Just keep it like last year's thread and everything will be fine. But please let's not turn this into the mess that the S.H.I.E.L.D. thread became after the first episode. Nobody wants that.

Lest We Forget

:cry::cry::cry: A good man :cry::cry::cry:

:argh: BARROWMAAAAAAAAAAAN!!! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It's also worth mentioning that tonight on the CW there is a recap of S1, though why you'd need it after such a fantastic post is beyond me :colbert:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Conquistador posted:

It's also worth mentioning that tonight on the CW there is a recap of S1, though why you'd need it after such a fantastic post is beyond me :colbert:

Was. It aired an hour and 45 minutes ago.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Can't wait for the blossoming love between Ollie and Diggle to hit its stride this season!

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Senerio posted:

Was. It aired an hour and 45 minutes ago.

I assume there are some places where it hasn't aired yet? :colbert:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I dunno. I liked it anyway.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

My most anticipated network show returning. Can't wait.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
There are also 5 episodes on the CW website you can watch if you want to get a little taste

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think he's actually going to be the Hood anymore this season.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think he's actually going to be the Hood anymore this season.

"One guy has black arrows, one guy has green arrows. This Green Arrow guy..."

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Bravo.

quote:

I was hoping for a gif of the epic :argh: BARROWMAN! :argh: freak out from the finale. :smith:

(I also thought the show returned tonight. That just means one less week of reruns!)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Then bend time and space, Deadpool.

It's too bad Tommy's dead. The only other dude for Oliver to cockblock is dating Thea. :smith:

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Pinwiz11 posted:

I was hoping for a gif of the epic :argh: BARROWMAN! :argh: freak out from the finale. :smith:

God, I still love that scene so much.

Pumped for the new season!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

OmniBeer posted:

God, I still love that scene so much.

Pumped for the new season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPCLlGyzBgU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Only one person is shirtless in that OP. It's like you didn't even try.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

This is true, we need shirtless Paul Blackthorne :swoon:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
When I saw Diggle without his shirt for the first time I was all "whoa" and was suitably impressed. Dude's big.

Can you update the op? I can't tell who they are unless I can see their abs.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
E: :argh: drat you!!

Aphrodite posted:

You know, I was going to say something but I didn't want the first post to have any complaints in it.

I admit the last one is 100% wishful thinking

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's such a thing as running a joke into the ground :colbert:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

:golfclap:

Great OP. I was incredibly surprised by this show last season, and can not wait for it to start up again.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also add this in because it was the best scene

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rarity posted:

There's such a thing as running a joke into the ground :colbert:

You even had the opportunity to be equal opportunity. For shame, sir.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Aphrodite posted:

For shame, sir.

Godammit :ughh:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Senerio posted:

Also add this in because it was the best scene

Is... Is Ollie seriously leaning over to look down Felicity's top there?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Drifter posted:

When I saw Diggle without his shirt for the first time I was all "whoa" and was suitably impressed. Dude's big.

Can you update the op? I can't tell who they are unless I can see their abs.

Diggle will crush everyone with his muscles.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

How do you look down that blouse? That's stretching it, buddy. :colbert:

:heysexy: :wink:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

WarLocke posted:

This was the scene she revealed she dyed her hair. She keeps his secrets.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But anyway, good OP. It might be a good idea to at least mention who a character's comic counterpart is though (if they have one), because what I've gathered from interviews is that the creators expect you to know that stuff already.

They used it to their advantage with the Merlyns, in fact.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bloopers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnPWdg3JwSA

Sizzle Reel!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp4QSxylq9g

This season is going to be fun!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Aphrodite posted:

But anyway, good OP. It might be a good idea to at least mention who a character's comic counterpart is though (if they have one), because what I've gathered from interviews is that the creators expect you to know that stuff already.

They used it to their advantage with the Merlyns, in fact.

Yeah, I had thought about that but when Deadpool said he was going to add a comment about comic chat I decided not to just to play it safe. If he thinks it's ok I'd absolutely add it to the OP.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't even know there was a difference tbh. I didn't even know Green Arrow was a comic until this show started and I've been able to follow it just fine. Jus' sayin'.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Bravo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Conquistador posted:

I didn't even know there was a difference tbh. I didn't even know Green Arrow was a comic until this show started and I've been able to follow it just fine. Jus' sayin'.

You don't miss anything, but there was a pretty clever twist pulled with Barrowman being Tommy's father that only works if you know the comics.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Conquistador posted:

It's not even worth comparing. Stay ignorant, stay happy.

Seriously, the more you know about the comics the sadder you'll be. Take it from me.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I thought Katie Cassidy as Laurel was kind of annoying, but overall okay... until I started rewatching season three of Supernatural. Now I think this is the best role she's ever done. :stare:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Deadpool posted:

This season is going to be fun!

You don't need bloopers to prove that!

:neckbeard: 1 more week! I can't wait. How many times will Oliver tragically lose his shirt to evildoers this year?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How many times will Oliver tragically lose his shirt to evildoers this year?

Not enough. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I thought Katie Cassidy as Laurel was kind of annoying, but overall okay... until I started rewatching season three of Supernatural. Now I think this is the best role she's ever done. :stare:

Was she a recurring character in Supernatural? I didn't recognize her, and I watched SN up past season 8 before I decided the boys whining about how sad and pathetic each of them were was getting boring.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Drifter posted:

Was she a recurring character in Supernatural? I didn't recognize her, and I watched SN up past season 8 before I decided the boys whining about how sad and pathetic each of them were was getting boring.

She was the first Ruby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Diggle will crush everyone with his muscles.

Unlikely since he never got sent to gladiator school like Manu Bennet.

• Locked thread