Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I wonder of the quick mention on the news of a particle accelerator being built by STAR Labs is supposed to be foreshadowing something... maybe how this version of The Flash gets his powers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Usually "no kill" superhero rules irritate me because it just seems like a dumb way to keep things kid friendly versus the actual practicality of letting essentially weapons of mass destruction live on. However, this was an extremely organic and plausible way to turn Ollie into a no kill superhero, and it proves that the writers know how to use the long form to develop characters naturally. Nicely done Arrow.

Also, show owns, Ollie owns, Diggle owns, Slade owns, Felicity owns, it all owns. Even the Thea subplot was decent and the way they are moving Roy towards Speedy/Arsenal is believable.

How were the ratings?

0.9 in the demo. Not as good as the series premiere, but the same as last year's finale. It's a solid number for The CW and the show seems to be maintaining its audience, so things are looking good.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

They put up a 30 second preview of next week on the show's Facebook page. Amell claims it's the best episode of the series so far.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201947492196536

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

The world is denied CCH Pounder as live action Waller once again. :sigh:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Kegslayer posted:

Season 2 Spoilers
I thought Barrowman's return to the show was just in flashbacks?

They're intentionally being vague about this.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Torrannor posted:

I believe there was a theory in the old thread that goes like:

The Hood: Vigilante who is not afraid to kill, certainly not a hero.

The Arrow: More restrained vigilante, no killings but not yet a superhero.

Green Arrow: Olly embraces being a superhero.

Someone involved with the show (Marc Guggenheim?) said they were doing something like this a few months back.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Yeah it's bugging me how completely messed up the police's priorities seem to be.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Torrannor posted:

I thought we already established that Michael White will appear in several episodes?

In Season 1 pretty much every villain who wasn't killed off in his/her first appearance was brought back again later. It's a safe assumption that he'll be back.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Amell and his wife had their first child the other day. Guess how they celebrated? :3:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

The baby was born on Tuesday I think.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

XboxPants posted:

What exactly was her position before? If she a high enough position in their tech department, it'd be a little more believable.

Last week's episode established that she went to MIT. Up until now she had an unspecified job in the IT department. That doesn't completely excuse the occasionally lazy and/or ridiculous tech related writing, but Arrow is hardly the first TV show to have that problem, and I don't see it as an issue with her character. Felicity is to this show what Oracle is (was?) to Batman, albeit with Oliver and Felicity having a different interpersonal dynamic.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of wondering how Det Lance can't put two and two together considering he's staking out a crime scene with Oliver Queen's personal driver and secretary.

I don't think he ever saw Diggle.

The combination of incompetence and petty childishness of the Starling PD is getting irritating. Let's arrest the cop that caught the bad guy the last time because he almost caught him again! :downs:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

"The Arrow" name dropped!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

HOLY gently caress

RAS AL loving GHUL

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Shakugan posted:

I can't be the only one who has never, does not, and will not ever care about Ollie's island adventures. It's such a drag for the rest of the show. Every time I see the start of an island scene I think "great, there goes a minute of screen time for the actual show".

The island plot got boring to me last year when it was a cycle of Oliver getting captured and then getting away in one way or another. When something actually happens, the island plot is worth it. I'd say tonight qualifies.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Klungar posted:

Any chance Summer Glau ends up being Talia?

I doubt it. It'd pretty much be a retread of TDKR and I don't think the show is lazy enough to try to pull that. Plus Glau's character, Isabel Rochev, is already an established Green Arrow character.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Daric posted:

When Diggle and Felicity flew into the island in the opener, who was flying the plane?

They hired a pilot (who owned the plane) to fly them to the island.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Or they could hire the younger actor now and put old man makeup on him and do the same thing. This is still a CW show with a CW budget.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

They put another new preview up on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202045213279502&set=vb.104137579724283&type=2&theater

I'll be surprised if Black Canary isn't Laurel's sister at this point, albeit played by a different actress than in the Pilot.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

The first two episodes from this season are free for everyone, but Wednesday's episode is only on Hulu Plus for whatever reason.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

"What's the saying, six seasons and a movie?

...let's get a third season first."

Thank God for Amellsday. :allears:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

King Burgundy posted:

Looked like a re-shoot to me.

It was; a different actress played Sara in the Pilot.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I don't even care about chemistry. If Dinah Laurel Lance isn't Black Canary then that sucks.

New 52 is bad enough.

The show has no obligation to stick to the comics like that. Hell, has the name "Dinah" even been mentioned on the show?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Alright. Even still, the world won't end if this version of Laurel/Dinah never becomes Black Canary. Some of the show's best plot turns have come from breaking from the comics, like with the use of the Merlyns and Slade mentoring Oliver on the island.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

WarLocke posted:

I'm a little behind in the thread, but the only way I can see that Hourman show working is if it was something like the adaptation of Steven King's Dead Zone show that ran for a while with Anthony Michael Hall. More of a suspense/drama thing as he tries to figure out how to change the future to fix things each episode, instead of an all-out superhero action type thing.

Yeah, that's what I would guess. Early Edition, the CBS Kyle Chandler show from the mid-late 90s, also had a similar premise.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Where did you see this? I want to see this.

At the start of the commercial break there was a mention of a webisode series. I was only half listening so I don't know any specifics.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

drat. Aaaaaand the plot keeps moving.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Oh boy another comics villain!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

"There's only one freedom. Let me grant you yours!"

How the gently caress is Katie Cassidy going to step up to this?

SURPRISE!: She won't.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Jack Skeleton posted:

I'm confused by this. Both parties have a major fault here in the infidelity, but why is Sara worse than Ollie? He was going after his girlfriend's sister.

I think what you're supposed to take away is that both Oliver and Sarah were pretty terrible people who changed fundamentally thanks to their experiences after the boat sunk. One act of betrayal being worse than the other, if that's even true, has no relevance to the story now.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

She doesn't seem to film with the rest of the cast very often either.

Has she ever met Dig?

I'm re-watching 1 x 02 on Netflix. China White and a few henchmen try to assassinate Laurel at her apartment while Oliver's there and Diggle intercepts. So I don't remember if they've ever directly interacted on camera but they've had scenes together.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Katie Cassidy has some higher-profile recognition from stuff like Supernatural and the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot.

Even still, looking at the top ten list on that star meter thing (you can't look at much more without imdbpro) Katie Cassidy is with some impressive company in the top ten (JLaw, Chloe Grace Moretz, Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Jamie Dornan, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Scarlett Johansson, Katy Perry, and Natalie Portman are the top nine). Kind of makes me think it's easy for a rabid fanbase to game the system, which wouldn't be shocking, imdb and all.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I noticed there's a synopsis up for episode 8 on imdb, if you're wondering why Barry shows up.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2193021/episodes?season=2&ref_=tt_eps_sn_2

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

In another news, Amell just posted this on his FB

Hopefully a goatee isn't far :allears:

It's definitely a step up from the face paint but it's still pretty drat obvious who the Hood is in decent light. It's just something you have to look the other way on, I guess.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Hey, guess what he almost never operates in? For some reason.

Or any light. With Quentin/Roy/whoever standing ten feet away from him.

Don't act like it's not an issue the show just expects you to look past.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Argh Goddamnit like I already said

hcreight posted:

It's just something you have to look the other way on, I guess.

But yeah i'm totally the first person in this thread to comment on what a terrible disguise the face paint was. I was just pointing out the mask doesn't really address that issue, for what it's worth.

Now I'm off to wikipedia to look into this "Superman" fellow.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

BARROWMAAAAAAAAAAAANNN :argh:

Cancel Thanksgiving. I want a new episode next week.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

I am 100% OK with any lame explanation they have for Malcolm surviving

My money is on Lazarus Pit given who's been introduced of late but we'll see if the show will go there.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I'm guessing Brother Blood will be the more immediate, direct villain Team Arrow will be dealing with for the time being while Merlyn will operate in the background and possibly try to confront and/or manipulate Thea in some capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I know a certain superhero she can call on. With driving powers.

• Locked thread