Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Huntress started fine as a concept, ie as a dark mirror of Ollie, but then just devolved really quickly into some kind of violently irrational whiny babby. Digg was completely right when he said that if Helena had looked like him, Ollie would have put an arrow in her face already.

Not to bring the thread down any further 'cause, yeah, what a great opener...but the one thing I really disliked was Laurel. When she started babbling about how she's going to bring the vigilante down I really wanted to kick her in the shins or something. She's like "He killed Tommy!" and I'm like, how? Like, literally how?? It makes no sense! And didn't she spend most of last season being the Hood's foremost cheerleader?

See, that's the thing I really want this season to get better at, in its treatment of characters like Laurel and Helena who -- in DC Comics -- are two of the premiere asskicking superheroes right alongside Ollie, but are coming off so unpleasant and unappealing in this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Feathered cap gooooooo

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There's absolutely, literally no way they would kill off both of the Merlyns considering they've been setting Merlyn up as Ollie's premiere arch-nemesis. That'd be like killing off Lex and Lionel for good at the end of Smallville s1.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah okay no, Laurel is still a dumbass. Her dad was a dumbass in the first season for the exact same reasons and the same rationale is still dumb here.

"I saw you leaving when the bad thing happened!"
:qqsay:

It's not even like unforgivably dumb but when every other character is doing fine, she really sticks out.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Heroes often get blamed for not doing more to help, but not usually for...like, dumb things that you'd have to bend over backwards to rationalize. It happens to Spider-Man and...possibly Batman, every once in a blue moon?

I just really want to like Laurel -- her comic book counterpart is one of the coolest characters around -- but they've been saddling her with lame soap opera plots and lame family drama and now lame comic cliches that's making her far more of a hindrance to the protagonist than she's ever been a boon. It's no wonder nearly everyone wants to see Ollie end up with Felicity, the one who's actually his ally, instead of Laurel; they're treating Laurel like an obstacle for this guy to overcome.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well they changed Ollie and Slade and Roy a lot from the comics, but I still like them. Hell, I like Slade here at least 958 times more than comic book Deathstroke. No matter what Laurel's role is, no matter how different from the comics, even it's as an outright antagonist, I should at the very least enjoy seeing her.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

And let's be fair, the very first two pictures in this very thread were of Ollie's wonderful moobs.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

This episode had one of the most badass intros and then just kept doing that for the rest of the hour.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well, let's not understate this show's propensity for aping the Nolan films.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

At least now we know how Malcolm might return.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think it's precisely because Merlyn is dead that the city is setting up Moira (and by extension Ollie) as the target for their vengeance. And as Moira's lawyer said, they could easily blame things on Malcolm threatening her family's life, but I think with the court trying to scapegoat her, they're going to need some evidence...which Moira doesn't want them digging into.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

An entire episode about guns and no throwaway lines involving Roy and "arsenals"? Boo, Arrow. You didn't see the chance. You didn't take the chance. :colbert:

Seriously though I love this shitfuck show

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Frankly, if they seriously go the Lazarus route, even bringing Tommy back as the final true "Merlyn" isn't out of the question anymore.

(I hope they don't, though)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's a one of those iconic thingies. The Birds of Prey -- specifically, Barbara Gordon ie Oracle -- operated mainly from her clocktower where she directed her various agents.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

grantgust: So it begins.

(He already shot his material for episode 8 so this must for the later episodes)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I was the one bitching constantly about Laurel's absurd vendetta, and I have to say I do prefer her being an alcoholic to that. A) Alcoholism and drug abuse are diseases that you're afflicted with, not something that indicates any personality flaws, and B) at least it's showing some forward momentum as far as her character goes. With this show's pacing in mind, she'll have breezed through all stages of grief in a couple of weeks.

Stage 1: VENGEANCE
Stage 2: Drunk as poo poo
Stage 3: Fishnets?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

packsmack posted:

Also, resurrecting characters on TV is mostly in the realm of soap operas. I just don't really see Arrow going that direction.
This show literally just had Sara return from the dead.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Really, for all intents and purposes it's the same thing. The show told us point blank that the character was dead. They had a multi-episode arc devoted to proving that she was forreal gone and that anyone thinking she's alive is wrong.

And now she's alive again, after casting a different actress in the role. I think the revelation was done well, but it's still a critical mass soapy soap opera revelation.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't understand why this gif isn't included in every single post on every single page.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

VDay posted:

Really? Too young looking? On a show where first Tommy then Thea run a night club with zero experience, Laurel is some hot shot attorney, Felicity is a computer wizard, Ollie is a CEO of a gigantic company, and Summer Glau is in charge of the other half of said company? This kid is going to be the one that you just don't buy as being old/experienced enough for whatever his field is?
To be fair, he is younger than a lot of the cast. He falls into the Willa Holland range.

But he'll be fine. It was mentioned that they're going for a very dorky technician personality for Barry Allen, like a male Felicity. He'll fit that more than pretty much all the other actors they were looking at.

As for his looks, I think folks tend not to remember that the most well-known Barry Allen from that old TV show wasn't very blond either.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I like how they're introducing the ARGUS/HIVE/governmental superspy portion of the DCU through Diggle and the secret magic ninja assassins portion of the DCU through Sara and the island.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Thisisiiiisss loving s hooooowww

My jaw unhinged onto the floor and I was waving my arms around in the air for that entire last scene and I don't think I've stopped since.

Now, I'm one of those who really hated this show's Count Vertigo. Such a flagrant Joker-slash-Scarecrow ripoff and not even a good job of it. But this episode may have made it all worthwhile? It sucks...a little...that he had to go, but I love that they didn't have Ollie so completely paralyzed by the no-kill rule that he wasn't able to do what needed to be done. It was hard for him and it'll continue to be something he struggles with, and I love a superhero story that's willing to deal with this issue intelligibly.

Surely there was a way to incapacitate the Count without killing him but eh I can overlook it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Also, way to give Thea some seriously plot hooks in the span of a single second. She was the one character that had started to feel a little extraneous and unneeded, and now all of a sudden she's one of the most important pieces in the show's long game.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Or, what are the chances that the smug DA he injected ends up having some kinda residual chemical cray cray from the Vertigo and ends up becoming a new Count Vertigo?

We'd have legacy villains before legacy heroes. :stare:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Preview clip from Thursday's episode.

Two days bicheeeees~

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I posted that last night mofo. Gotta keep up. :flashfact:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I_have_failed_this_city.txt :saddowns:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

"Person of color" or "man of color" or "woman of color" are all reasonably-accepted, academic-sounding terms. Simply calling someone "coloured," however, has negative social and historical contexts and is best avoided.

*shrug* Vernacular is complicated.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I liked how Roy's blood made the arrow look red. More easter eggs~

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is Allen's origin always been a key part of his character, or is this from the New 52?
That would be a nope. The original silver age Barry Allen had no such origin. When Geoff Johns brought back Barry, he retconned this dead mother motivation in through in-story time travel shenanigans, and this series of events actually led directly to the New 52. It's a very recent thing, and kind of confounding.

None of which anyone should concern themselves with because, even in spite of that similarity, by all counts this show's version of Barry is very very different from the recent comics' Barry Allen in all the best ways.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

hcreight posted:

I am in full approval of this, both as a cast diversification measure and because it makes internet racists really mad every time they make usually white characters into minorities. :allears:
Interestingly this would make Wally West black as well, or biracial.

:anime:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Right from the outset Ollie made it clear Roy was only an informant and was absolutely not allowed to directly participate in what Ollie does. Roy threw a tantrum about it here and got spanked. That's really all there is to it. I mean, sorry, but what did Roy think would happen when he mouthed off to the ornery vigilante?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

S.T.A.R. Labs is not technically a Starling City thing, it's just the name of the go-to science and tech company in the DCU. I can see where it'd get confusing though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So what if he does give the impression of Kid Flash? Honestly, if this character's name was Wally West instead of Barry Allen, no one would be bringing up the age thing at all, because the Flash actually did fill the role of the "lighthearted youngster" back when the JLA was in its prime throughout the mid-90s comics and cartoons. I have entirely zero desire or need to see these TV shows tie to the Snyder films, but isn't the whole point of the JLA that they're an eclectic group that doesn't need to look and feel exactly alike? We don't need to see the Flash in the exact same age range and body type as every single superhero already out there.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

given that as of the conclusion to last episode Oliver is unconscious, what are the chances this happens in some sort of dream/hallucination sequence?
I'd put it somewhere around 110%, to be honest.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Like. Y'all.

I don't think anyone can truly appreciate how much I hate Deathstroke the Terminator in the comics. Such an overused, overrated characters who fights teenagers all the time, whose one real motivation is being smug and whose one real superpower is running away smugly after someone defeats him. My hatred burns hotter than Grundy's face.

So the fact that I am more stoked about this character's upcoming storylines than I am about any other thing on TV right now is unreal. This show is unreal. It is doing things to me that cannot be done, must not be done, and yet is being done. I mean, Jesus, those shot of Manu Bennett with the eyepatch and gray temples. Flawless.

And also:

raditts posted:

FLASH

AAA-AAAAAAAAAAAH

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Just to clarify: Solomon Grundy was originally a villain for the first, golden age Green Lantern Alan Scott, who has very little to do with the modern Green Lantern Corps featuring that guy Ryan Reynolds played.

Since then Grundy's become more of a general DCU villain that more or less every hero or team has faced at some point or another, including Green Arrow, but he's not really a "major" foe for anyone. So it's not quite the same as having, say, the Penguin or Brainiac on this show or anything.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Here's the Flash origin scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynd-om7M4FY

Notice the name of the anchor?

Maybe she's Linda Park Senior 'cause I'm not sure I can handle Wally getting with someone who's older than his uncle. :saddowns:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

In retrospect I was pretty irritated at Shado's death. I saw it coming, but I had really been hoping she'd show up in the present day to sow drama.

Baby drama.

Alas, they went in a different, fridgier direction.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I thought the conversation about the mask was great, but at the same time I have to sarcasti-laugh at it a lot because, like, you're worried about a mask obscuring your aim? But you're not worried about a giant hood obscuring your aim?

Superhero comics are great, but when it comes to costume choices that's gonna hinder fighting, a hood rates just slightly below a cape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There should be four or five crossover episodes per episode.

• Locked thread