Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kruller posted:

We've all seen it, you don't need to spoiler it. Also it is Mirakuru, and it never stops being annoying!
I didn't realise people were annoyed by it until I read stuff on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

imperialparadox posted:

Yeah, I hate it when comic shows kill off villains left and right, it's sort of missing one of the silly tropes of being a comic-book show. Besides, once you kill off too many villains, what is left for your hero to do?

And since Green Arrow doesn't have that that deep a bench of (good) villains to begin with it's partly a matter of keeping some alive and partly a matter of borrowing from the rest of DC (especially Batman).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

computer parts posted:

Resurrect some of those villains, thereby fulfilling a silly trope of comic books?

They basically did with Merlyn (with reasonable in-universe justification).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

imperialparadox posted:

Some people had some examples, though honestly I should have said movies, since I was thinking about how Batman movies in particular kill of villains left and right. :v:
It's different when you're only telling a handful of stories though. If you've got 3-4 movies you can afford to kill off the rogues gallery.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

King Burgundy posted:

I disagree with this entirely. You close off so many narrative options when you kill off your villains. One of the coolest things that happens in the Batman films is Scarecrow making like a 2 minute appearance as a side job in a later movie. It makes the world feel bigger. Also, just because YOU are done working on a story, it doesn't mean the story is over if you are working in a shared universe.

I always think it is stupid when superhero movies kill off villains, unless it is an expected part of the story(Punisher).

To bring this back to Arrow, I was disappointed when we lost Vertigo and Shrapnel. In both cases it may be ok though as there is more than one Vertigo and Shrapnel was off screen so they have a loophole.

It forces you to write stories in a way that leaves people alive, which can limit the potential outcomes and itself closes off various story possibilities. If you're making a handful of films in a self-contained series then you can afford to have a few characters die and still have a big enough universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

I found out if you marathon the last few episodes of season 1, you can do a pretty good drinking game based on whenever they mention "those people in the glades" (or words to that effect). Finish your glass if the character saying it is a billionaire.

I really hope we get some more social commentary / social consciousness in the show. It's one of the few things I think was worse in season 2 compared to season 1, and is a pretty important part of the character.

The fact Blood didn't get a "YOU HAVE FAILED THIS CITY" speech was a slight disappointment too.

• Locked thread