Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Just started watching this show on Netflix and drat, is it ever great. I'm floored at how much I'm enjoying it, especially since the Green Arrow was never one of my favorite superheroes as a kid. The only complaint I have is with Laurel, whose chosen profession doesn't seem to mesh too well with her personality or apparent age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

zoux posted:

No killing policies in general are loving stupid. I get why they do it in comic books where they are trying to explore the nature of heroism but how many lives would Batman have saved by icing his rogue's gallery on the first offense? A no-kill policy that has exceptions under extreme circumstances makes more sense to me. I'm glad they didn't have Ollie undergo some huge emotional crisis after he killed the Count, he was just like, "ha, like I'm going to let some dude murder Felicity, I'm over it."

Yeah, I don't want to get into a big comic nerd debate up in here but that's one thing that's always bothered me about Batman- especially Bale's Batman. He would have saved thousands upon thousands of lives by simply killing Joker but nope, let's just throw him in Arkham the least secure asylum in all the universe so he can escape fifty million times.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the majority of comic book heroes and their moral codes were developed during a time when society largely did see crime issues in black and white. They were also typically targeted towards children & preteens, who are infamously incapable of gray-area thought. Therefore, "I'm the Batman, the Good Guy, so I'm not killing anyone no matter how evil!" would make perfect sense to them.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
That's good news to me. Batman or Superman being on Arrow would eclipse Ollie and takeover the entire show, even if they just appeared for one or two episodes. Also, I just finished season 2 and holy poo poo I didn't think it'd actually be able to top S1 but it sure did. This show is like the Dark Knight of superhero TV. The CW really struck gold with this one, it's the best thing they've had since Angel. I knew next-to-nothing about the Green Arrow before watching and now consider myself a big fan.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The new 52 Wonder Woman with all the heavy Greek myth poo poo should be the way they adapt Wonder Woman henceforth. Having a bad-rear end Amazon going around fighting gods and giant monsters practically writes itself. It could be Xena but less homoerotic.

Having a kick-rear end lesbian Wonder Woman show in the vein of "arrow" would be awesome, what are you talking about.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
What does everyone think of Moira Queen? I found her character to be one of the most complex out of the entire cast and I really enjoyed her arc right up to the very end. I'm really conflicted after finishing S2 and don't know what to think about her. I guess that's a sign of a well-written character. She was a liar and a manipulator and not a very good human being, but she clearly loved her children and almost everything she did was to benefit them. I think her desire to help Starling was genuine when she ran for mayor and I do think she felt remorseful for her actions in aiding Merlyn, but she really was backed into a bit of a corner. I find Slade's final remark to her interesting and a sort of redemption in itself for the character. She struck me as a character who was constantly terrified and "stuck" and wanted so desperately to be brave & stand up for herself but failed nearly every time.

Oh and I love the show but something that annoyed me was the train wreck that is Ollie's love life. WTF were they thinking, having Sara get back with him? It felt so contrived and forced. I noticed zero chemistry between them whatsoever, no spark, nothing. There I was thinking "aw sweet a cool gay character! Go CW, you're really moving on up in the world!" after she kissed Nyssa but the end of the episode made zero sense. I would have enjoyed it immensely if Sara & Ollie had a reflective moment about how much things have changed and how they've both grown in place of that scene. But nope instead it's Ollie sexin' time!

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 31, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Ollie's going to hook up with 2 Black Canaries, which is much less creepy on this show than it would be in the comics.

You shut your mouth. I refuse to accept any future where he doesn't end up with Felicity, AKA the best non-Ollie character on the show :colbert:

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

incredible bear posted:

Just going to echo that Barrowman would happily grope boobs or anything. I lived in an apartment in downtown Vancouver for four months about 2 years ago, one time there was a notification on the entrance about how Arrow was filming nearby, so be prepared for closed roads etc. I'm sure if you really wanted to stalk the filming of the show it's easily do-able (I only caught up on the show over the last two months and now my life is nothing but regret).

Anyway, so I started watching Arrow, I'd run out of things to watch, something full of Spartacus' guys and filmed somewhere I used to live enticed me. Now I'm hooked on a TV show in no other way since BSG, I want to throw my money at them, but I can only seem to find typical DC Green Arrow T-shirts or iron-printed stuff (or if I'm lucky "I (ship) OLICITY)" shirts), apps/games seem non-existant. Is there any legit cool Arrow merch out there (not including the $800 signed busts)?

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Arrow S2: "Just going to echo that Barrowman would happily grope boobs or anything."

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Okay so in The Flash preview there were pretty blatant displays of supernatural super powers (weather controlling, super-speed, ect.) whereas in Arrow, these superpowers seem to be missing, unless you count the mirakuru. Any chance we'll eventually see stuff like that on Arrow?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Yeah I definitely see a lot of "TDK" in Arrow, whereas The Flash gives me more of a "TASM"-vibe. It would be a bit jarring if every super-powered bad guy conveniently misses Starling City, however.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Why does he have to join the Justice League though? Why should the writers of the show feel indebted to the comics and why should the show end up where the comics end up? If anything, as a non-comic reader, I feel like it'd detract from the story line of the show if the writers decided to go out of their way to make the hardcore comic fans happy. Let them tell their own story. They're doing a great job of it so far.

I'm so pumped about Ra's al Ghul though. He's a character (at least in Batman which I'm more familiar with) that's always skirted the lines between the natural and supernatural. The Lazarus Well thing. I wonder how they'll treat/address that. He's got to be one bad motherfucker to scare Malcolm Merlyn.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 7, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

AAA DOLFAN posted:

It's all relative but the whole episode with the justice society or whatever involving dt fate was loving cool.

Or maybe just when compared to trash that was regular episodes of smallville. Man they hosed up darkseid.

So excited for green arrow this season

Yeah, Smallville wasn't a terrible show but it never really went beyond being what it was: a sometimes-cheesy CW superhero show. Arrow is infinitely better even only two seasons in. I actually care about these characters and the fight scenes are way better choreographed.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Rhyno posted:

The first 5 seasons (the worst era of the show) aired on the WB though?

They're the exact same station in every possible way, though, just under a different name. I think the only major difference I can see is that CW shows are often more ~dark and serious~ than the WB's ever were. This change, IMO, is much to the station's detriment.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 13, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I knew what was coming the moment I saw that picture and was not disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I can't believe my favorite show currently on-air starts back on Wednesday. That's cool.

If you don't already like Stephen on FB, go ahead and do that because he's also cool and I plan to marry him some day.

Do we know if Canary is returning for good?

• Locked thread