Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

KilGrey posted:

Eh...the lack of disguise doesn't bother me so much, I've been able to let it go. After all, Superman survived without a hood and eye make up just taking his glasses off. I can roll with it.

This is one of the things that I feel is a 'necessary weasel' of the superhero genre, and my suspension of disbelief is hard to break because of it. It's one of those things where I think if you needed to show the characters putting on special effects makeup each time they wanted to go out in public/hero about, you'd lose a lot of the magic of the hero with a secret identity.

BrianWilly posted:

Feathered cap gooooooo

Just say it, Steven. Say, "Green Arrow." Two words, buddy. :( They need to legitimize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm also leaning toward the 'Merlyn will be back' line. I'd be especially stoked about seeing some Lazarus Pit stuff come into play here, but that's just me liking the LoA stuff a bit.

KilGrey posted:

Although a scene with Oliver at the MAC counter trying out various shades of green eye shadow would be funny.

Between olive and forest green tubes at his local army surplus store. Using the excuse 'extreme paintball' would be one of his more believable lies.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

His plan didn't succeed.

It wasn't just level the Glades, there was a whole profit thing going. Dying kind of means he failed.

The profit part was more to keep the lower-level interests in the Undertaking on board. The people at the top--Merlyn, Queen Sr., and the one guy Moira was working with to have Merlyn assassinated--all had a personal stake in it. For Merlyn, it was all revenge all the way down ("YES! THEY ALL DESERVE TO DIE!"). The 'reshape the Glades in my image' was a nifty side-effect. At least, it moved that way. In the beginning it looked far more profit motivated. But Merlyn got his revenge. Maybe not a sweeping victory, but still a victory.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It was Oliver trying to uphold his semi-reformed spoiled rich kid persona in front of his 'peers.' I think it was also a jab at the prevailing opinion before Iron Man/The Dark Knight demolished the 'superheroes are dumb' rhetoric among the 14-17 and 18-24 demographics that may have still been popular when Oliver was last seen.

That might be me projecting. As he grows, he's starting to think of those kinds of persona and public image things as less 'dumb' and more 'I need a positive image... hm...' You could do a lot worse than being a badass with a light and colorful name. He doesn't exactly have to worry about boxing glove arrow jokes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Robotnik DDS posted:

Aw man, why they gotta pronounce Ra's the Nolan way

I was a bit disappointed by this, but it doesn't stop the :tviv: that they're actually allowed to use the League of Assassins, Ra's al Ghul, and all the extra fun stuff that comes with that. This is some amazing loving TV. They aren't shy about making the Dollmaker 110% creepy as gently caress. Lance called his daughter out, and by the end of the episode, the 'blame everything on (Green) Arrow because I'm dumb' wraps up. I'm sure there will still be a police plot going on, but it'll now have Laurel weighing it down rather than carrying it. I'm interested to see how they write that because I'm not sure she is the type to be able to keep that kind of charade up. I was pretty amazed that she actually set a trap for Oliver last episode.

But drat, this show constantly one ups itself. I only worry about how long the writers can keep that up. I never want to come down from this at this point. They keep the pace up, name drop constantly, and keep everything tied together. Even Roy being incompetent at avoiding trouble. Like, seriously. How genre blind do you have to be?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Closer inspection in HDizzle shows it to be old, knackered and overgrown... could just be scenery, it is an Asian island.

You're new to this aren't you? Conspicuous red buildings on deserted islands in fiction are never just scenery.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Moira doesn't want to mount the defense because pinning everything on Merlyn is going to drag up Robert Queen's involvement as one of the leaders. There's already enough bad press on her, and she doesn't want to invite the collateral damage to the family that Robert being involved would show, both from Thea and from outside forces like Blood and the media. I think it's been well established that Moira has an infatuation with impaling herself on spears anyway, so her being a martyr and taking the fall for the Undertaking isn't really that odd if she thinks it could spare the rest of the Queen legacy and let Oliver take over the company and Thea move on with her life/running Verdant without the spectre of Robert's actions hanging over them.

As far as the family not hating her more, I'm not really sure I buy Thea's claims. I wish I could explain it as her sticking her head in the sand again, but I think the way the first two episodes were written we're supposed to legitimately believe that Roy and Oliver convinced her that she's still her mom, and that she was forced to comply. (Was this established in character outside of the secret identities? I don't remember if Moira claimed that at the press conference or not, or if Oliver put the idea down and no one questioned him on what made him so sure.)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Drifter posted:

That's exactly what I said in my first response.

What point? I was saying that in a high population, poor area I would have expected more people to die.

Sure, maybe the fatality list was 'short.' Now how many people were hurt, maimed, or otherwise injured. Those riots beforehand probably did quite a bit of damage too. For the sake of the law, too, how many people were killed because of the conspiracy overall?

Death tolls make for great news headlines. 'Casualty lists' are misleading because a casualty can be anyone injured or dead. And of course the riot beforehand had most people out of their lovely slumlord project apartments, so the odds of a building falling on you were much lower than it would have been with no warning at prime time.

Moira saved quite a few lives with that press conference.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The more screen time Sarah gets, the less relevant Laurel becomes. I'm pretty OK with that. Those two teaming up and kicking all the rear end forever would keep me watching. Every scene with Oliver and Sarah together this episode was a solid knock out.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

XboxPants posted:

To her credit, her first act when when given access to a time machine was to immediately try to go kill Hitler.

Considering everyone knows how that ends up, I wouldn't count that as a 'credit.'

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Perhaps we should write a letter asking the writers to keep Black Canary as she is, much in the same vein as Slade is currently NOT Deathstroke. (Billy Wintergreen was Deathstroke, remember?) (I'm injecting a little wishful thinking because why would Deathstroke's mask be seen with an arrow through it if it wasn't Slade?) :smith:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pillowpants posted:

It took TWD 3 years to get rid of Andrea, and 8 years to get rid of Lana on Smallville. The entire show Dexter was kept on for 3 years after all the smart fans started hating every character. I am very skeptical that knowledge of the hatred of a character will result in them being killed off.

Laurel doesn't need to be killed off. She just needs to not become Black Canary. She can be all the weird ex-girlfriend Oliver can't quite get over all she wants. She makes a convenient kidnapping victim (as regressive as that sounds). And she's conveniently placed to recover from her alcoholism, become the DA by appealing to the people of the Glades, and completing the police procedural part of the show.

It'd certainly be a step toward unfucking the SCPD.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oasx posted:

Maybe I missed something, but why would she become that?

It was an interview spoiler from last year. REDACTED

e; f, b

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Something no one seems to have hit yet (unless I'm bad at reading posts) is that the photo used in the Sarah is Alive!(?) arc and her 'keeping her head down' look in the hospital? Same getup. Or at least I remember the hat distinctly. I need to go rewatch those episodes, but I don't think it's as much of an rear end-pull as you guys are billing it to be.

Or it might be a total rear end pull and they have that small little thread to justify it.

Ingram posted:

Malcom's ideals in dealing with the glades is League of Shadows 101. At least Batman Begins Ra's levels. I wonder if we'll see Malcom return in the flashbacks at some point.

This is pretty much League of Assassins SOP in every media I've read. Merlyn's almost certainly trained by the LoA, and I expect we'll see plenty more LoA supervillains in the future, seeing as we know that Black Canary is a ("former") member. It's one of the reasons I really want Lazarus pits (or some WWII superscience knock-off version) to be a thing. I'd love to see Barrowman do present Merlyn again. Hell, him coming back even more crazy after Ra's dips him in the drink and being obsessed with dunking Tommy and his wife in the pits would be something I'd like to see Barrowman sell.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Am I the only person who doesn't remember exactly what the original actress looked like? Most of the time the shot was of her sliding under the water, and she was such a minor character that I never bothered committing it to memory. I didn't really put 1 and 1 together until I started seeing posts about it. I posted before, but the biggest connection I made between the two was the picture from season 1's arc and her baseball cap in the hospital being the same. Her face? A total blur.

edit: She definitely does look older (not 40 though, jeez). I don't think she does the five year transition as well as Oliver does in the looks department. Oliver manages to look younger on the Island, no doubt thanks to the longer hair. Flashback Sara looks pretty much like she does as Black Canary.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Deakul posted:

:golfclap:

We have a winner, make it a part of the smiley arsenal, gents.

Also, has anyone nabbed the season 1 soundtrack? It's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dINK9HneLYM

I pulled it up on Spotify. I now know what is going into my gym playlist for this year.

edit: The Count has a badass track.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

etalian posted:

Maybe just replace the boring fight choreography with West Side story dance offs?

I'd be down for seeing this as another iPhone improv video, like the bathroom singing from last season.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Deakul posted:

Jesus, please no.
I hate this kid so much.

This is one of the problems with being new to the TVIV and TV in general; I have no clue what peoples' beefs are with Pretty Boy #587. I lack the knowledge of their history to know who to hate in the casting phase. :(

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Felicity/Oliver jealousy angle isn't something I'm looking forward to. More Oliver/Isabella I am though. It seems like a great first look into Glau's character, and might end better than their failed shot at sticking Oliver with Huntress. At least in the acting department.

And anything that keeps Caity Lotz on screen works for me. Even if its knife after knife in Oliver's back.

DeclaredYuppie posted:

I read the Isabel stuff this episode as she's trying to manipulate Ollie for whatever nefarious reasons are out there. I figure she knows something's up with Ollie and while she knows he's not simply a dumb playboy, she's not quite sure yet what he really is.

I'm going to take the opinion that she was following the 'what happens in Russia stays in Russia' mantra herself. People finding out she had a quickie with her business partner in Russia after having a few drinks with him wouldn't look good at the next board meeting. She's already let on that she knows something is up, just not the specifics of the something. I hope it stays that way for a bit so we can find out more about her before they flip the ally/villain switch.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The TV IV > Arrow Season 2: My Driver Has H.I.V...E.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Drifter posted:

I am super goddamn curious about the direction of Flash's superpowers in the TV show. If they gimp him periodically such that he gets hit by people swinging bats or shooting bullets or tripping him by shoving a stick in his path it's going to be such a lame drag.

I tried rewatching the Justice League cartoon recently and was incredibly annoyed by one scene having the Flash running halfway around the world in a minute and another scene where an alien leads his target and throws a barrel at him. Like, seriously? gently caress you comic cartoon.

Or when Deathstroke stuck out his sword and the Flash ran himself into it. :suicide:

It'll totally be cool checking out the 8th and 9th episodes for Barry's involvement in Arrow.

At the same time, if you don't give people some way to nerf his Pants of Goes Fast +10, he becomes stupidly overpowered very fast (:laugh:). Of course, arbitrary nerfbats are rather unsubtle, but someone needs to be able to put the breaks on him (:laugh:).

I'll stop now.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kruller posted:

I just want the Flash to go fast as hell. When he's running, the rest of the world should look like it's at a complete standstill. If they make it so he can't do it for long, fine. Just so long as he's not the typical "I can run 70 mph!" Flash they seem to use 90% of the time in the cartoons. I swear, most of the time in Justice League, the only time he's as fast as he should be is when they're making a joke.

A good example of Flash's power was in Crisis on Two Earths where he vibrates himself so fast at the right frequency that he rips a hole in the universe that Batman can use to follow Owlman to Earth Prime. I wonder about the practicality of Speed Force Barry in currently low-powered universe of Arrow. I mean we're getting there with miracle serum, but we're still a ways off from DC's tiny gods and Lazarus pits (LoA non-withstanding).

ComposerGuy posted:

Yeah, but to be fair, a full-on Wally West Flash would completely trivialize everything to a degree even more ridiculous than Superman. He's easily the most powerful Justice League member when you consider what his power is and how it works. Superman always gets all the deity comparisons, but gently caress that. Flash is a god.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Keep in mind that we're still dealing with machines that could fit into the back of a pickup truck that make earthquakes. Those are a thing in the Arrow universe. Super science, and all the things in that Pandora's box, exist in the Arrowverse. Seeing as our Flash's powers are going to come from a science origin, and it's the same with the supersoldier serums we'll be seeing float around, it seems reasonable that superpowers begin to crop up.

In fact, the Markov Devices were a plot object before anything about a Flash backdoor pilot was in development, right? The thread connects just fine, so escalating it from technological superweapons that do implausible things to super serums and particle collider mishaps doesn't exactly snap it in two. I mean, if he goes and takes a swig of industrial runoff and can suddenly use pyrokinesis, consider my suspension of disbelief broken.

So go put that in your RT tablet and Bing it. :smuggo:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This show is exhausting to watch. The amount of screaming and arm waving involved is far too much for a drat TV show. The action never stops, plots are resolved quickly, and the twists that just leave you spinning. :tviv:

I think we all knew Barrowman would be back at some point, but it was still a stand up and yell a lot moment. And then the reveals. I want to see what Merlyn has in store for his daughter. And what his new game plan is. And where does Slade fit into all of this? I don't think I can take another two weeks without Vertigo Arrow.

RIP Count Vertigo.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

raditts posted:

Considering he's part of the League I'm guessing Lazarus Pit.

Well, I was thinking that if the writers don't want to bring those into play as a cheap resurrection MacGuffin that people often take them for, it could have been literally that he was faking it. Diggle and Oliver didn't exactly stick around to confirm the kill, and the League so far has been portrayed to make your average special agent look like a member of the padded helmets brigade. So some kind of deep meditation technique that slows your body's vitals to the point where they're undetectable to fake your own death isn't out of the question.

In fact, it's probably more likely than Lazarus Pits at the moment.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Habibi posted:

How Malcolm managed to survive:

Is that... really Barrowman as Superman?

:allears:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Are the creators different than those of The Tomorrow People? Because Amellsday is sharply divided, Arrow is great, TTP is mediocre at best.

The romantic relationships alone are worth praising. Thea and Roy have been together how long? Nearly half of all Arrow episodes at least. And the show is not spamming us with endless relationship drama. It is probably reflective of tv shows in general that the mere absence of romantic bullshit is worth praising, but I really appreciate it.

They're also treating Thea and Roy as 'two people who like each other' rather than 'two people who emit exotic drama particles when in close proximity.' What I'm trying to say is they're writing them like two people in a relationship, rather than two plot devices. It's refreshing.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Drifter posted:

Yeah, she literally has no role on the show. Can you imagine how much more she's going to hate herself everyone else/her dad once she discovers Black Canary's her sister and she's been alive all this time?

They really needed a Dark Knight arc that shows the Gotham style 'revolving door' prison problem. That way Blackthorn could be the Commissioner Gordon, and Cassidy could be the crusading prosecutor who locks them away for good. And occasionally both go to Oliver to get help on a particularly nasty hardcase who they can't pin down. Blackthorn's missions being more beat em ups and Cassidy's being more investigation oriented.

:j: "A key witness in the Blackhawks case has gone missing! It has to be foul play!"
:black101: "I'll look into it..."
:clint: "Someone's pushing Vertigo again. A few kids from an illegal club in the Glades showed up in the hospital last night."
:black101: "I pay the owner a visit. He'll tell us where he's getting the goods. Because he has another shoulder."

Basically take Laurel back to what she was in Season 1 with more focus on the law and court parts of her existence.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

So turn the show into Law and Arrow?

Mooseontheloose posted:

The :doink: sound can replaced by arrows going into people's chests.

Exactly. :c00lbert:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's kind of a bad example actually. Sara doesn't exist on the comics and such she was a OG character that nobody really cared about (and I seem to remember that a lot of people was upset during season 1 for her fridging, calling it cheap writing or something similar) the speculation runned rampant about Laurel since in the comics she's Black Canary and GA's girlfriend.

Then we got the Canary reveal and everyone got their mind blowed since nobody was expecting for the writers to going there (same as happened with Slade´s reveal in fact)

Personal preferences in the end, but I think that having speculation about the series taking as base the comics make the actual series way more interesting when our expectations are subverted.

I'm big on the last bit there, since as you said, the writers seem to love taking expectations and sending them spinning. It's why pretty much every episode has a few reaction posts that are nothing but :tviv:.

And while we're airing personal preference about spoilers, the vast majority of them I don't mind. Telling me that Dumbledore dies doesn't really spoil it as much as makes me wonder how the hell he dies. Snape shoots him? Well, why? The 'how' of a character's development isn't ruined by saying Slade eventually becomes Deathstroke. Sure, he's pretty cold and ruthless right now, but what makes him go from someone who's a (presumably) loyal ASAS operative to cold blooded mercenary? Laurel becomes Canary? How the hell is Laurel of all people supposed to hold a candle to someone trained by the League of Assassins and capable of fighting on Oliver's level (and maybe even a bit better sometimes)?

Spoilers are really only effective when the surprise of the reveal is what makes the reveal work. For example, Sara as Black Canary. Sure, we all speculated it, but it was still a hell of a moment when she pulled off the mask, left Oliver speechless, then pulled the same disappearing act exit on Oliver that he pulls on everyone else. I know I was going nuts in my seat. Or the Barrowman as the Dark Archer reveal. Year's End is still one of my favorite episodes, and Barrowman ripping off his hood with an exhilarated smile on his face is going to stick with me, and certainly caused me to flip. I believe at the time we were expecting Tommy to be pushed into the role somehow. For a non-TV example, Bioshock Infinite's ending would have had less impact if I'd known what was coming. The fact that I managed to keep my head in the sand about it for a year is a bit of a miracle, but there you go.

I suppose it is somewhat subjective, but the fact that so many people hinge their enjoyment of something on having no prior knowledge of ANYTHING is a bit strange to me.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Someone else survived the island.

Slade :neckbeard:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I'm not sure we need Moira to die for Oliver to hate Malcolm more than he does now. On the other hand it could be more interesting if the Queen family is somewhat in his debt for bribing the jurors. And Moira being free could be the hook to bring Laurel more into the story, because she should have great motivation to search for the reason why Moira was acquitted. That could lead to her discovering who the Arrow really is.

It'd be less for motivating Oliver (if even a whiff of 'Malcolm is back,' that boy won't rest until he puts three more arrows in him just to be save) and more for Thea. At the same time, though, I doubt it will be Moira. But just to hedge myself here, if it is Moira, it'll be a Brother Blood/Grundy vengeful kill. I doubt they'll overplay the Merlyn hand so soon, since he is still an outlaw.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Another villian heading to Arrow

Clock King

Oh man. Jazzed as gently caress about this one. :neckbeard:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tonight on the Amell report, Amell posts a thirty second blurb to Facebook saying that they've been shooting all day and he hasn't had time to do the Q&A yet. "poo poo happens. But look, it's Christmas. :shobon: Enjoy tonight's episode because it's awesome."

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Arrow Season 2: Amell Appreciation Station

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neon Knight posted:

Ollie fucken shot Roy in the leg because he almost had a clue that wouldn't turn into a real lead because Roy doesn't have the resources Ollie does. This miracle poo poo really pisses him off.

I suppose if you inject your mentor with the stuff and it kills him (Preview: or turns him against you), you have very good reason to be an autocratic dick about the whole situation.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Habibi posted:

Don't you understand science??

I don't know anything about science, but I know plenty about Science! :science: (That said, that's a catch I didn't connect when they mentioned the LHC and earthquakes. So soon I forget about the Markov device.)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm someone who prefers grounded superhero stories to the more outlandish high science fiction that occasionally becomes popular in the field. (Man of Steel was a proudly SciFi film - and suffered mightily for it) And certainly, I think its valid to get squeamish at the show heading into uncharted waters, even if those uncharted waters are precisely the reason this season has been so engaging.

A few friends of mine have voiced the "I want the show to remain grounded!" concerns, and I usually end up defending the show decision to introduce superpowers. And my reasoning is a pretty simple one - We've never seen it before.

In the comics, Batman stories usually take place in a world completely devoid of superpowers or one overflowing with craziness. That actual transition between "mobsters with guns" to "lady who controls Plants" has never really been attempted in an ongoing form whatsoever. A lot of great Batman literature is about that transition - Long Halloween comes to mind. But they've all been limited series, meant to slot into that accordion of mythology.

Smallville actually started out with nice boundaries and organic explanations for powers - I'll defend the meteor shower as one of the few smart additions their creative team made. But the show so completely botched expanding the world out farther, into Metropolis and beyond.

I'm rambling here, but I hope this isn't entirely incoherent.

I don't disagree with the extrapolation on why going from an unpowered to powered universe over the course of a season is a good thing that has never been done before, but I do disagree with the (entirely subjective) that Man of Steel suffered by being SciFi. Of anything wrong with MoS, being about an alien from the planet Krypton was not the problem.

But that is going to be the interesting things about the back half of season 2: we're going to be watching superpowers emerge into a world where they've been rather hidden/non-existent up to this point. It opens the door to the traditionally Marvel plot of normal people vs. metahumans.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe it was a learning experience for them?

It could also explain their reluctance to call him Green Arrow. :tinfoil:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TheChad posted:

From the cartoons? Most of my superhero knowledge comes from cartoons I used to watch and a stack of Deadpool graphic novels I keep in the bathroom.

fake edit: marvel/dc whatever

Same here. 90s/early 00s DCAU cartoons, video games like Arkham Asylum, and the New 52 comics. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go hide from the BSS posters.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oracle posted:

Its entirely possible Laurel gets inspired by something to be Black Canary, dies, and then Sara picks up the mantel afterwards. This fulfills the whole 'Laurel is Black Canary' fiat by the writers while still allowing for a more suitable actress in the role. I mean, originally it was her mom who was the Canary and the mantle was passed on (at least in one of the iterations of the character) so its not unprecedented.

By the same fiat, they can just laugh and say, "We lied." It's a smaller chance, but it's still valid. If they're committed though, having Lotz's character fake her death and getting a stinger of her getting on a bus to Metropolis or something would be a good way of hedging themselves so that when Laurel bombs as the new Canary, they can kill off Laurel and, an episode or two later, have Sara show up again in a new costume to avenge her sister's death and officially join the team.

Or hell, not even have the stinger. Just make sure she doesn't die on camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Drifter posted:

"Laurel, why are you giving me pie, why aren't you at your law office?"

"What? I am at work, Ollie. I'm a part time waitress. I always have been a waitress. And a karate gymnast marine sniper."

*laurel turns to stare into the camera for several beats*
*cue Twilight Zone music*

"...always a waitress."

*screenwipe to a flock of canaries flying through the city*

Sure, why not? It's an improvement over the current situation.

• Locked thread