Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

frgildan posted:

That whole cave smells of Comic book super science. :eng101:

Even better, World War 2 super science, the best kind of super science.

But honestly, I find it a bit silly that Laurel blames the Vigilant for Tommy's death. The man was crushed by debris and died in minutes, there is not really much anyone could have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
If Diggle keeps helping Ollie in his exploits, then he needs a superhero persona of his own! There is a perfectly good Arsenal identity that no one is using at the moment.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Wait, is Diggle openly working with them? That seems a little careless.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Did Slade's face just burned of?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Oh hey, Birds of Prey reference.

e X fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 24, 2013

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Please, no silly misunderstanding.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
drat!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Could be just Brother Bloods disguise. And I love that the League of Shadows is apparently becoming a thing on the show, there are tons of great chaarcters that fit right into the tone of the show.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
They have an odd definition of "design flaw".

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Brother Blood it is.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, while I am pretty excited about the League, it's mostly because it means tons of really cool characters for Ollie to fight. Seriously, every single martial artist in the DCU has been made into a member or an asocciate at one point or as other. Also, between him and Firefly we already had two Batman villains on the show, so maybe we get some his other, less well know enemies, too.

But I really don't see how's this shows that the show will feature actual superpowers at one point. As with Canary's cry, it could easily be rewritten into some low key super science, like the earth quake machine. Hell, Batman Begins already had a Ras al Ghul without the Lazerus Pit and it worked rather well, overall.

Also, will the backdoor pilot for the Flash actually feature the Flash, or just Barry Allen?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Aphrodite posted:

But that was also the plan for Slade, and Felicity, so provided they can think of something for her there's a good chance she stays if the general fan response has been similar to what it is here.

Wait, Slade and Felicity are/were supposed to die?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
They already burned half his face and he is on the Amazo, so maybe Ivo even give him his comic style enhanced healing factor by experimenting a little on him.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
While it's no contest that Arrow is a better show than Shield at a moment, comparing a series in its second season to a show that is only on its eighth episode in kind of unfair to the latter.

There are some legitimate concerns with the structure of AoS, given that it is bound into a much larger universe, were all the major stuff has to happen in the movies and thus the ability to really shake things up is somewhat limited, but complaining that characters are not as well developed is seriously a stupid complaint. We are not even at the halfway point of the season and so far literally every episode has somehow advanced their characterization or their relationships with each other.

Their is no guarantee that it will turn into a great show in the end, but condemning it from the get-go, just because it doesn't match up with a show well into its second season is really pointless.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Narcissus1916 posted:

Slightly offtopic, but does anyone else hate Lazarus Pits?

Comics have enough of a horrid reputation with cheapening death, but the Pits outright nullify mortality. The fact that they're tied into the mythology of Batman, one of the most street-level characters in the DC stable, has always baffled me.

That said, I'm admiring the slow buildup Arrow has been doing with superpowers. I'm totally fine with a "this guy took a serum and punches REALLY Hard" power boost.

The pit used to be an exclusive Ra's Al Ghul thing, and if I remember correctly, it just prolonged it life, it didn't actually bring people back from the dead. But once he died the first time, some writer used it in that regard and like any one-time mechanism, it went out of control from there.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
If they bring in a Central City police officer. maybe it will involve a Central City criminal too.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Realism might not be the best word, but it is annoying as hell that every time someone points out that some superhero media operates on a scale closer to your typical action movie than a typical comic movie, some smug rear end in a top hat comes with the "Batman disabling dozens of goons is not realistic :smug:".

Everybody knows what is meant by that argument, namely that the movie in question feels more like Bond than Superman. No, neither one is "realistic", but there is undeniably a huge difference between them when it comes to suspension of disbelieve. People are willing to accept Bond a a secret agent that basically walks through legion of mooks, yet they'd still cry havoc if he would start shooting lasers from his eyes.

You might not agree with Shakugan's point, I know I don't, but there are better arguments than "Well, Arrow was never realistic."

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
All he needs now is the Arrowmobile.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Drifter posted:

Even the other actor doesn't like Laurel. Haha. Yessssss.

It's weird but it seems like a lot of the other actors are really uncomfortable or awkward when they're just recording little facebook videos and stuff. Are they just that unpersonal, or do they feel hobbled by some hidden PR lawyer whispering what they can or can't say? At least Amell seems like a very personal dude.

You do realize that they were acting in that video, do you?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Lazerus Pit it is I guess.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I just want the insanity of the Flash's Rogues Gallery.

Me too, though less for the insanity and more because they are actually pretty great characters, especially as a group.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Concerning Barry, it's the typical problem all DC comics currently suffer from. Can't have a hero without personal tragedy in their backstory, even if they worked for decades without one.

So, does Ollie now get superpowers or am I confusing the stuff he got injected with with something else? And I get the feeling that Moira just traded one devil for the other.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
That and/or lighting. There were an awful lot of thunderstorms in this episode.

As for Roy, I have the feeling that they are going to set him up as separated vigilant. So far, he really didn't interact with Ollie all that much and their relationship seems to be mostly one sided (he is clearly inspired by the Vigilant, but Ollie sees him basically just as an informant). That Roy Harper eventually split from Green Arrow and became and individual hero is pretty consistent in almost every incarnation of the character. The way Roy is portrait here, I could see him becoming a vigilant of his own, disappointment in Ollie relative lack of interest in the things Roy considers important. He is much more idealistic, while Ollie is all in all pretty pragmatic as long as his family or friends aren't in danger.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Blackchamber posted:

Maybe Ras isn't fond of his underlings using LoA resources to kill [...] in personal vendettas.

That's like 90% of all LoA plans.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I know this is a ploy to get rid of Laurel, but Barry really should be able to be in both series without any problems explaining how he manages it :colbert:

And I ma so looking forward to the Rogues, Flash really has one of the best Rogue galleries in all of comicdom, especially when they work together. The are basically one big, evil family.

e X fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 5, 2013

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Oh no, maybe Ollie will have to shoot him in the other heel. Seriously, Ollie's callousness makes th whole thing kind of uninteresting.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I was thinking "Why using all of Batman's villains", but then I remembered that they pretty much already run through all of Green Arrows rogues, including killing one of in the pilot.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Are there any promo pictures of the costume they are going to use? because Flash has easily one of the goofiest looking costumes in terms of realizing it am actual, real-life outfit.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Rhyno posted:

Nothing has been seen yet and it's no sillier than anything else we've seen on screen to date. The 1990 Flash series actually had a pretty slick suit.

It's basically an ice skating suit and that does look kinda goofy, especial when you trying for a dramatic atmosphere.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
How many stories where Grundy is featured actually call his origin into attention? At least in newer stories, he has a tendency to simply show up as low end super strong muscle, with everybody simply accepting him as a part of the general DCU rogue gallery, without actually going into the details about his origin. Unless the story actually features DC magic heroes.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

zoux posted:

I'm really not concerned with fidelity to the comics origin.

But you should be concerned with coolness :colbert:.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Laurel feels kind of like a leftover from the earlier stage of the show, when it was closer to a daytime soap opera than it is now. She was primarily there for the love triangle between Tommy and Ollie, but the show hardly focuses on that relationship anymore, having a much bigger focus on the actual super heroics than on Ollie's general private life. She is the only character who has no connection to that world and I think that is where a lot of hatred for her comes from. Any time spent with her is basically time not spent on the much more interesting aspects on the show.

Diggle, Felicity and Ollie trying to figure out how to take down a bad guy, that is interesting. Ollie and Sara kick as together, that is interesting. Thea, Sin and Roy dealing with the seedy underbelly of Star City, that is interesting. Moira being a reluctant super villain is interesting. Laurel however is not connected to any of these stories.

They had her sudden hatred of the Vigilant, but that didn't help, because her reasons really didn't justify it, so it inspired more hate than interest from the fans. And now that that story line is resolved, she is really the only major character left out of that net of stories.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The nightclub is another aspect they pretty much phased out of the show. Seriously, with all the furore they made about it in season 1 you would think they would actually use it a lot more.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Eh, season one did have quite a lot of scenes there.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Powerlevels are inherently stupid, so the best approach is really to completely ignore them. Grundy as a heavy hitter is pretty much an invention of the DCAU and ever since then he drifted between an street level and super powered, depending on writer and story.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BreakAtmo posted:

Ahh, I see. Yeah, magic is supposed to be something Superman's weak to, correct? Or at least he's just no more resilient to it than the average person?

Its supposed to be the second, but a lot of people and writers treat it as the first. A magic sword that can cut everything would cut Superman, but a shard of a magic mirror shouldn't hurt him just because it's a magic mirror.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
We do villains always choose so incredible lame names for their public fronts?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yes, one of the show's greatest strength is that it resolves plotlines that would into really annoying story arcs in other shows rather fast.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It was more or less a "establishing the new status quo" episode.

Ollie is buddies with Sebastian Blood, both as himself and as the vigilant, while searching hard for the man in skull mask, to the point of obsession. Roy now has super powers and he and Thea are going to explore that. Sebastian Blood runs for mayor on the same fear he actually creates. Laurel is useful starts to undercover Blood's secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
There is at least one Elseworld story were Green Arrow kills Darkseid, so...

• Locked thread