Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

etalian posted:

Glee is another show that has people in their 20s and even early 30s portraying high school characters.

Pretty sure it's actually rarer to have real teenagers playing high school-aged characters. In That 70s Show, only Mila Kunis was about the same age as her character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

hcreight posted:

Felicity is to this show what Oracle is (was?) to Batman, albeit with Oliver and Felicity having a different interpersonal dynamic.

Yeah, the way she absolutely hates being closer to him at work, even though it's necessary for the greater good, is wonderful. I love that so much.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I missed the first 20 minutes of the show, what happened?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

When in doubt, go with David Warner -- detective.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

leidend posted:

Coincidentally the biggest mall in the city (second biggest in Canada, 12th in North America) is called Metropolis. It's in the 'burbs but big enough to get its own NYC style skyline around it - ok not quite.

Gotta leave some space for the CG artists to fill in for their fictional city of choice :v:

And regarding the death toll of the earthquake: I think everyone may have forgotten that literally less than half of the planned destruction of the Undertaking occurred, since Team Arrow stopped one of the quake machines. Between that and Moira making her announcement, the final death toll could easily be a fraction of what Malcom Merlyn was counting on. The fact that it was still one of the deadliest earthquakes in American history is seriously :stare:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 27, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

xerxus posted:

He's played by David Nykl, aka Dr. Zelenka from Stargate Atlantis.

I love Canadian / Genre Actors.

This just blew my freaking mind.

I hope Sara sticks around for a while, I love what they're doing with her staff choreography and this week's teamup was just a joy to watch.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 1, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

The comic already has a tech-girl so unfortunately I doubt we'll get Felicity any time soon.

You severely underestimate the ability of the New 52 to kill off, rewrite or quietly forget about anything that stands in the way of a quick buck at the expense of long-term stability.

Because tonedeaf editorial interference YOU demanded it!™

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

leidend posted:

The same way every character on the show has no over the top magical super powers besides the occasional wire help on jumps.

I'm not a comic reader so my knowledge of Flash is pretty much based on a few photos and video games.

Well, since the Flash's defining ability is being vastly superhumanly fast, a "realistic Flash" is kind of an oxymoron.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

He also didn't have godlike lightspeed in that show, in fact he had to work to get up to the sound barrier. They intentionally kept his powers on the lower end and had him growing into them as it went on, like in earlier episodes he had to grab a piece of sheet metal to deflect bullets and then later in the season he managed to work out catching them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

hcreight posted:

It's definitely a step up from the face paint but it's still pretty drat obvious who the Hood is in decent light.

Hey, guess what he almost never operates in? For some reason.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Merlinicus posted:

I don't understand how they move the plot at such a breakneck speed and still make it a cohesive story (so far at least).

No kidding. In most any other show Moira's trial would've been the season-defining multi-episode event with multiple supervillain attacks, kidnappings, at least two instances of Oliver having to appear in court while being needed elsewhere as the Arrow, all the tricks. Here? It's over in one episode.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

My favorite thing about this episode is how unrestrained they got with the brutality of Cyrus' superstrength against a normal, albeit highly badass, human. The truck scene was of course great, then it got really awesome in the warehouse. Ollie's skills let him survive for more than three seconds, but when Not-Quite-Grundy landed that floor-to-ceiling uppercut followed by a haymaker that sent him clear across a packed warehouse, I was :stonk: for real. Compare these sequences to how Agents of SHIELD pulled their punches with the "strength of 20 men" Asgardian artifact (aside from the very first time the girl was powered up by it).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

e X posted:

I was thinking "Why using all of Batman's villains", but then I remembered that they pretty much already run through all of Green Arrows rogues, including killing one of in the pilot.

Yeah, Green Arrow is kinda like Daredevil that way, he picks up a lot of castoffs and time-shared B-villains from other heroes along the way.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

And to go unashamedly male gaze for a moment: Huntress' actress wears her costume like a stripper or a runway model, while Caity Lotz looks likes an MMA fighter wrapped in a body glove. Both of them are real nice to look at, but only one of them convinces me that the character being portrayed can plausibly bring the hammer down on gangsters and professional assassins. Lotz is just the total package.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 8, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I got a real kick out of Barry's crime lab set being highly reminiscent of its counterpart from the 90s Flash series.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arrow literally just gave us the origin story of a JLA Big Seven member (and not Aquaman or Martian Manhunter), they did exactly what you want.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hollismason posted:

That's almost literally the origin for Swamp Thing.

Grundy had it first. :colbert:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Senerio posted:

So in the Podcast, they ask him if he'd want to enter an archery contest against Jennifer Lawrence, Jeremy Renner, and Orlando Bloom. I now want this to happen.

Surely a contest followed by a team-up, as all crossovers inevitably go?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Spergatory posted:

you just can't give a man onscreen superspeed with practical effects.

ahem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLhLn9hVkE

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That Smallville instant-vanish scene was pretty good in its original context, which was meant to show what Clark's superspeed looks like to everyone else, but it really only works as a contrast to the normal VFX-y version the audience usually sees. A Flash show shouldn't do that all the time because like a lot of people pointed out, it's jarring to have powers represented like they're missing effects work and it'd be really boring if the main character just disappeared without any visual cues at all.

It reminds me of this period in Superman comics where his heat vision was represented only by red pupils and the effect on his target because infrared radiation is invisible -- yeah, that's more realistic but it's also boring, whereas bright red eye lasers are awesome. This is superheroes, and superheroes are awesome! Awesome should always win.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Spergatory posted:

I decided to watch a few Man of Steel fight scenes on recommendation from this thread, and... ummm... :stare:

If that movie ended with anything other than Superman as the most hated and feared entity on the Earth, with every government of every nation banding together to hunt him down and kill him, then it's total bullshit. In no recognizable world would someone publicly demonstrated to be capable of singlehandedly leveling cities be allowed to roam free. There would be a witchhunt to end all witchhunts and even if humanity couldn't kill him, they would never stop trying.

I mean maybe, just maybe if he had saved the world a few times before, the world could've forgiven him a couple hundred thousand casualties. But if that little blowout with Zod was his debut on the public stage... yeah, Superman is public enemy number one forever. First impressions are very important.

If you just watched some clips on youtube without the context I can see how you'd come to that conclusion but like Warmachine said, it's pretty obvious what actually happened. The city was wrecked by Zod's forces before Superman ever showed up and their fight took place almost entirely in the wrecked zone, and at all times he was fighting the people who did the destroying.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I want the Atom to show up so they can eventually do an homage to this amazing Marvel team-up:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

They did end of being brothers in this life.
Also his chemistry with Naevia 2 is not that great but I am sure that could not hurt Arrow.

Naevia 2 is gonna be Amanda Waller so that should actually work out just fine.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Doesn't need to be spoiler'ed as she's already shown up.

Huh, I've totally forgotten when that happened. Obligatory should've been CCH Pounder, etc.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

One of the things that makes this show so good is just how outstanding the action setpieces are. When you involve superhuman feats in live action, sometimes it's really easy to tell where the wires are. Someone will be thrown or knocked around and they won't go fast enough to justify how far they went, and your brain noticed that. When Roy was beating up that dude, it really looked like he was getting hit full force. They did the same thing with the Arrow/Gold fight in the warehouse. They really sell just how powerful these Miracuru dudes are.

This is exactly why I don't mind more superpowered individuals showing up in this series. They're so damned good at it, the sense of mass and force behind the superstrength choreography feels just right and convinces me that they deserve a shot at more.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Laurel got fired, so she now has nothing to do but go after Blood.

You could say she's... Out For Blood :c00l:

It's... Blood For Blood :cool:

It's gonna be a... Bloody Sunday Wednesday :downs:

It's... That Time Of The Month :eng99:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Man_at_desk posted:

I can’t wait for Slade to start turning Roy evil, as well as knocking off Ollie’s mum at “business meetings”.

"Oh Mistah Wilson, you do go on :allears:"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yannick_B posted:

Putting the symbol on the mask rather than the chest could end up being a pretty good idea for a costume design.
A whole cowl with a chin-thing is pretty hard to realize in-live action but it looks good there.

Sorry to disappoint but the Flash also has a chest symbol and it rules.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Taffer posted:

God drat guys you're making it really hard to not break my no-spoilers rule. I'm not sure I can resist. :ohdear:

Tonight, you're gonna break your one rule :getin:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

seravid posted:

Out of the blue, Laurel just starts showing off her superior binocular vision. Slade thought that was pretty rude.
"No wait don't turn around or you'll miss all these things I'm doing with my two, perfect eyes! Y'know, because of your much narrower field of vi... aw, he's gone. I can tell because I have proper depth perception."

DVD bonus content: Slade muttering "fuckin' two-eyed bint" under his breath as he walks away.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Could be pretty amazing if say, the pilots/flight crew successfully fought off a hijacking while also landing their plane safely. :911: e: by amazing I mean amazingly over-the-top

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 11, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ravane posted:

Are there any disabled superheroes? Or superheroes with congenital dwarfism?

I think I'd like to read about a superpowered man with Down's syndrome.

I, of course, don't mean Xavier or Daredevil. Xavier doesn't need to walk and Daredevil can see with his ears. That's cheating.

I mean superheroes that are significantly disadvantaged. Like the Flash with no legs. Or cyclops.

The short-lived but very good Scifi Syfy series Alphas was all about this, although many of the disadvantages were psychological in nature. Don't let that discourage you though, the show's team leader is a psychiatrist and the drawbacks that come with the alphas' abilities are front and center of the show's overall structure.

Aphrodite posted:

She has a distinctive chin which makes her wearing just a domino all the more ridiculous.

Finally, all of those weird 90s un-masks that cover everything BUT the eyes make sense!

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 15, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm slapping SO MANY bowls of water right now, unghhhh...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Its good and all but there are certainly things about it that put it in the CW-zone. Mediocre actors cast because they're young and good looking, uneven dialogue, cheap looking special effects, etc.

If there were anybody on lets say Hannibal that was on the same level as some of the actors(I'm trying not to name names) on Arrow, they would really stand out like a sore thumb. Has the show developed and risen above a lot of those issues? In some ways yes, in other ways no.

drat man, invoking anything on Hannibal's level in relation to this show is like the acting equivalent of :godwin:. There's a whole spectrum between pure teen soap and I-can't-believe-it's-not-HBO.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Then again, when Merlyn hosed him up in their first major encounter the next episode had an appropriate time lapse to allow him to heal, so who knows? Maybe this week will give us a "six weeks later" or whatever's appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's official, Officer Detective Lance has brain damage.

• Locked thread