Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne - The Shakedown

When the shaking starts, Jol'Ynne is half-way through forming a plan to disguise herself as a waitress and spill a drink on Cor'gt to move him away from the target. This new development makes things much simpler.

She strides confidently and relatively-stumble free towards Karolina and introduces herself quietly with some made-up credentials. The geneticist is ignored.
"Jol'ynne. High threat response. We don't want to start a panic, but this is /not/ part of the entertainment and if you have a security detail they are doing an excellent job of blending in. It might be a good idea to move quietly towards the exits. There are at least fifty powered individuals capable of this, and any number of devices, none of them good news."
Well, maybe to scan for later...

quote:

Jol'Ynne

PP: 2
XP: 8
Physical Stress: D10
Mental Stress:
Emotional Stress:

Affiliations
Solo 1d8 Buddy 1d6 Team 1d10
Scientists share information, and Skrull work well in teams, or other command structures. But in pairs, they spend more time watching out for betrayal, and plotting their own.

Distinctions
Proud Skrull Scientist
The Skrull empire is mighty, the oldest still alive in the Universe, it's said. But they aren't the best at making friends...

Observe and Adapt
It's how the Skrull have operated for centuries. But it can be slow work, and hard to respond to sudden changes.

We're (ac)counting on you
Everyone wants to see the Annihilation Wave stopped before it can reach the Skrull. But if the Project isn't working, the resources will go elsewhere. Somewhere that gets results.

Powersets
SKRULL
Enhanced Stamina D8
Growth D6
Shapeshifting D10
Shrinking D6

SFX: Versatile. Replace Shapeshifting die with 2d8 or 3d6 on your next roll.
Limit: Mercurial Temperament. Gain a PP to step up emotional stress from taunts or insults.

SCIENTIST
Cybernetic Senses d10
Enhanced Durability d8
Mimic d8

SFX: Experimental Settings. Step up or double any Scientist power for one action. If that action fails, add a die to doom pool equal to the normal rating of that power die.
SFX: Better Living Through Science. When making a Cosmic or Science resource on an opportunity, step that resource up and recover emotional or mental stress equal to die size.
SFX: Power Mimicry Apparatus. When mimicking a power you have previously observed in use, step up the effect die.
Limit: Unstable Effect. When using a mimicked power as an asset, you are subject to all Limits of the power set the power came from.
Limit: A Scientist Is Only as Good as Her Tools. Shutdown Scientist to gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover Scientist.

Specialties
Cosmic Master D10
Science Master D10
Tech Master D10
Covert Expert D8
Medical Expert d8

Milestones
Observe...
1 XP when you learn something new about the powers of another.
3 XP when you use your Medical or Tech specialties to create an asset or complication based on things you have observed about someone.
10 XP when you make use of a terrible secret you have uncovered, or when you destroy your work in order to prevent others from discovering the same thing.

...And Adapt
1 XP when you use Mimic against a target you have never Mimicked before.
3 XP when you use Shapeshift to infiltrate an enemy location.
10 XP when you betray your allies to maintain your cover, or when you endanger yourself by breaking cover in order to aid them.

------------------------------------------

"This isn't easy to say.

My name is Jol'ynne. I have been given a mission by the Skrull High Overlords, near enough a mandate from the Emperor. It is to seek out weapons, power sources, assets, anything to use against the Annihilation Wave.

I may not have met you before, but I know you by reputation. At least... some of you. And if you stand with those I do know, then it stands to reason you are their equals.

The Wave is fast approaching inhabited worlds. Worlds with families. Children. And you call yourselves heroes...

You're going to make me say it, aren't you...

The Skrull Empire needs help. Your help. Help from the Shi'ar, the Humans, and yes, the Kree and more. There, I said it.

And if you think you can wait for the wave to pass us, and have one less rival for galactic domination, well... the Wave will be coming for you. And you won't have an army of Skrull to help stop it.

I shall not interfere with your plans. I shall be along to observe and assist. to identify assets, and ways they could aid the coming war. I shall require a laboratory, and can provide all manner of scientific aid, and support in reconnaissance, intelligence gathering and confrontation."

------------------------------------------

Tall, green, and a chin with several clefts, Jol'ynne is a Skrull. Her outward apperance carries little, and is dressed in a purple and black uniform with no pockets.

Her inward appearance is quite another thing. Instead of pockets, she has used her shapeshifting to carry around a toolbox of items inside herself, mostly various complicated or disposable tools. The simple ones can be mimicked with shapeshifting. Her right arm, head and upper body are taken up by a complex cybernetic implant.

Well, implant is probably the wrong word. There was no surgery involved in installing it, Jol'ynne uses Skrull shapeshifting to install it, and remove it for maintenance and upgrades. And, being Skrull technology, it shapeshifts with her and her uniform when properly fitted.

Elfface fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne

She watches the Majesdanian float through the crowd with interest, but there'll be time for a proper study later. It may be pure paranoia, but Jol'Ynne suspects the earthquake to be an attack of some sort... but if people start panicking, things will only get worse.

With no sign of a source of the shaking, for now, she looks down at Cor'Gt.
"You're wearing /that/ to a party? I know you don't have much to work with, but short hasn't been in for decades. Try tall and thin next time, the girl might actually look directly at you then."

As well as needling a rival, which is it's own reward, she uses the time to scan him, hidden sensors picking up all they can. She sees the geneticist as her greatest obstacle here, until the earth-shaker reveals itself.

Right, dice for this... and hope I do it right. I'm Solo d8 , using the Observe and Adapt d8 distinction, Cybernetic Senses d10 and Tech Master d10

Scanning: 2d8+2d10 [2d8=3, 6] [2d10=6, 4]

I keep the two 6s for a total of 12, and make the remaining d10 my effect die.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne - Shaken, not stirred

Jol'Ynne is one of the tumbling Skrull, though she blames that on the formalwear. As she stands, it shifts back into her uniform, much more practical for whatever is about to happen.

She stares at the form beneath the earth for a moment, analyzing information under her breath. "Big... moving earth... humanoid thing... Thing? No, not them. Not here. Far too hot for one, too big for the other. Something else. Magma? Not good. I need defences..."

Jol'Ynne assumes the arriving figure is likely still too deep to get a proper reading on it's powers. She considers looks up to Xavin's force-bubble. That seems more like it.

"Time for a field test..."

Jol'Ynne activates the rest of her cybernetic functions, and as data on the forcefield begins streaming in, the implants begin generating energy fields of their own, encouraging her shapeshifting internally, inducing something capable of reproducing Xavin's shields... in theory, anyway.

Solo d8, Observe and Adapt d8, Shapeshifting d10, Mimic d8 and one skill. Not sure if this would be Cosmic, Science or Tech, but they're all at d10 anyway.
Mimic Forcefields: 3d8+2d10 [3d8=4, 4, 2] [2d10=4, 9]
Keep the 9 and a 4(d8), to have d10 effect, which I use my SFX: Power Mimicry Apparatus to step up to a d12.
As I understand it, with Mimic d8 I can only generate effects that d8 rank could, just on a die that can roll 12s.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne

The figure makes a dramatic entrance and a convincing argument, Jol'Ynne will give it that much. It's almost certainly lying though, and if it isn't, the sort of people who turn coat at the drop of a hat don't make the best new friends.

She focuses on the new force shield, keeping it thin enough to let other people in but able to be solid at a moment's notice. Then, she steps closer to Cor'Gt, to give him shelter in it.
"You know this thing? Talk. Does it have weaknesses? Is the prince right, can it fly? Something put it down there once, the Skrull can do it again!"

Finally, a call to one of the few not running around like headless chickens.
"You! Majesdanian! Stop presenting a target, and do something!"

Attempting to Establish Assets (I think) to let allies take advantage of the shield.
Solo d8, Proud Skrull d8, Forcefield d12, Cosmic 2d8.
Create forcefield: 4#1d8 8 1 5 8 1d12 3
Taking 16, d12 effect plus an opportunity.

Tagging Karolina to go next.

Oh, and 1XP for mimicing someone new last time. Probably doesn't qualify for learning something new about another's powers though, Jol'Ynne would be familiar with super-Skrull science.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

potatocubed posted:

Aks'Lo
Buying your opportunity. The Doom Pool beats you with 17 and a d10, though, and one opportunity if you want it. You could spend the PP I've just given you to activate that and create the asset as a d8 Tech resource.

That seems like a good idea. I'll do that. Do I get to define it or you? If it's me, I'll say... Godkiller's arrival broke through a few underground power cables, resulting in Sparking Wires.

Jol'Ynne - Fighting an angry Godkiller
PP: 1
XP: 1
Physcal Stress:
Mental Stress:
Emotional Stress:

Jol'ynne listens to Cor'Gt's explanation, and tries not to look as worried as she is. "Why do the killswitches in these things never work..."

Alright, new plan. Clearly the forcefields can't be relied on if the real thing is shattered so easily. She needs to move. And Xavin isn't going to be able to hold her for long. But against something designed to fight Thor conventional weapons will be useless...

The hammer. "Cor'Gt, aren't those hammers linked to one person? How is... forget it. No time. Get out of here."

With the forcefields on standby for the inevitable retaliation, Jol'ynne dashes across the former garden to the lost hammer, all senses locked onto Godkiller.
"I really hope the capacitors can take this..."

Does this still count as Solo now that Xavin and Karolina are helping out, or can I switch to Team? d8 or d10 for that. Solo or Team: 1#1d8 1 OR 1#1d10 8
Observe and Adapt d8, shapeshifting 2d8, mimic (Experimental Settings) d10, Science mastery d10. Mimic hammer-using: 3#1d8 7 4 4 2#1d10 9 5
And, if those Power Cables are an acceptable opportunity, grabbing onto them to provide some extra power for what is certainly going to take a lot of juice. Power cables?: 1d8 8

I'll spend my other PP to take a third dice from whichever pool is legal, and d10 effect. Sorry it's a little modular...

Edit: Oops, and Tag... the timer.

Elfface fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 8, 2013

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne - The hard way

"Seriously. A small canister of antimatter in the brainstem, just in case. Is that too much to ask?"

With an ally down and the angry godkiller about to attack everyone, escape doesn't seem like an option now. Everyone includes Jol'ynne, after all. At least the enemy is focused on the baroness, though that's likely about to change. Besides, for all their bad reputation, not even Skrull enjoy seeing their own kind killed for no reason.

Jo grips the hammer and rushes towards Godkiller from behind, aiming to bring the weapon down on the back of her enemy's neck.

This feels like it's become Solo again, d8. People are counting on her, or so it feels, for another d8. Shapeshifting 2d8. Weapon d12. And... would covert count here, to get one cheap shot in?
Attack Godkiller: 4#1d8 6 3 1 1 1d12 2
Covert, if it applies: 1d8 2

Those are some... interesting rolls. Well, I'll take the 9 for result and d12 effect. And then figure out how to shapeshift out of a pulverized mess...

Tag... is the timer still in? If not, Godkiller.

Elfface fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 14, 2013

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne

When the Baroness gestures, Jol'Ynne stands and nods. She had previously been resting, and reviewing the telemetry from the fight. Where she should have swung, or dodged, analysing patterns for the inevitable rematch. And certainly not dwelling on defeat. That's completely different, because of reasons.

"Yes Baroness. That weapon would turn the tides indeed. Would Pai'Bok or other traitors know about it, or do they believe the armoury to contain only conventional weapons?"

As she waits for a reply, Jol'Ynne is already planning her next move. The survivors are outnumbered, at least this pocket, though there may be others, scattered by the attack.

"Our best course would be to remain undetected. Stay out of sight, or pretend to be rebels until we're in a position to strike back. They must be communicating, if we only had their encryption..."

She looks around for Cor'Gt. There's no sign of him in this mess. It's possible he was caught in the eruption, but from what Jol'Ynne knows of him, she thinks he'd weasel his way out. A respectable, if cowardly, ability.
And if he wasn't working with the rebels before, he'd have to choose between hiding out by himself, or being 'captured' and 'forced' to work for them... but he doesn't know just how well Jol'ynne scanned him. Maybe enough to break into his communications...

Going to make a test to break into Cor'Gt's communicator I assume he has/had. Does my d10 asset created with that last scene still exist? Solo d8, Skrull Scientist d8, Cybernetic Senses d10, Tech Master d10, and d10 Knows Cor'Gt Inside and Out if it applies.

Corg't Comms: 2#1d8 6 7 2#1d10 5 6
Possibly extra d10: 1d10 6

Well, even if it applies, it doesn't add anything. 13 with d10 effect.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne - Plotting and scheming

I shall spend that PP and take that extra 6 from my die pool. Heroes win draws, right?

"A sensible plan. Go in and out, without leaving a trace. If I can break into their communications..." She makes a show of interacting with a virtual display, unneeded, but it shows her allies what she's up to.

"...if I can do that, we should be able to avoid their patrols, or replace one, and sneak in. If only we had a telepath, to extract passwords... we'll just have to be careful."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne had best hurry

Jol'Ynne stands and salutes. "Yes, Baroness." she replies, before turning and giving orders to the troops, or any civilians who might be tagging along. "You heard her, we're in a hurry. If anyone asks, we're with the rebels. Disguise yourselves if you need to. Now let's move out!"

Nothing more to do here, so the next scene is fine with me! Jo will be in disguise by the time she arrives, in case GK recognises her, naturally.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Not Jol'Ynne, honest

The disguised Skrull looks around, her scanners checking the architecture for signs of life, before sending some of her soldiers to take cover in them. It would be pretty disastrous disguising oneself as a bird on a gargoyle, if that gargoyle turned out to be the enemy.

Then, the remaining crew are addressed. "Alright, if they're using passwords, they've been smart enough not to reveal them over comms. You-" she selects a Skrull at random, "Be a Schma'ag, we'll pretend we're here for the same reason as them. Guns for Pai'Bok. Address me as Captain Ar'Jak, and if things go badly, stop them from calling for rescue. OK? Go."

Dice time! Scanning for Skrull is Team 1d10, Observe and Adapt 1d8, Cybersenses 1d10, Tech d10
Scanning for Skrull: 3#1d10 4 9 9 1#1d8 5 18 with d10 effect

And then attempting to disguise and bluff in to the armoury team 1d10, Observe and Adapt 1d8, Shapeshifting 2d8, Covert Expert 1d8
Infiltrate the Armoury: 4#1d8 4 4 8 4 1#1d10 5
I'll spend a PP to take a third die, and get 16, with d10 effect.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Captain Ar'Jak

No need to complicate matters, thinks Jol'Ynne. There's bound to be plenty of soldiers Gor'Gt hasn't met yet. "I'm Captain Ar'Jak. I heard a rumour on the comms that this place is set to be demolished when you leave? Thought you might need some extra hands, and stowage. And if a few extra pieces made their way into our pockets? Well, they were going to be destroyed anyway..."

Jol'Ynne gives herself a mental pat on the back at her deception. Cor'Gt would never expect someone to help for free, but a win-win situation like this would be perfect. She assumes. She directs the soldiers to start loading up, even before getting an answer from Cor'Gt, and carries on talking.

"You may not recognize me, but I think I know you. You're that scientist... Lord Paibok's prized advisor, I hear..." Flattery, of course, but the situation seems to warrant it.

She carefully does not make mention of the prized Godkiller-Killer, assuming that if Cor'Gt thinks it might be taken away, he'll be all the keener to hold on to it. Instead, she plans to waste some time, and then offer to help him carry 'whatever that is' out, before 'the demolition'.

Of course, there's a distinct possibility the team will have to fight GK in here... Jol'Ynne mentally notes that as Plan B. The extra weapons would help, of course, but if they go off by, oh, being blasted with fire or an experimental molecular de-agitator, it wouldn't be very pleasant at all.

Edit: And 3XP for 'Use shapeshifting to infiltrate an enemy location'

Elfface fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 31, 2013

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne

As tempting as it is to set off some grenades and strike a blow for the legitimate government, Jol'Ynne doesn't like the odds right now. Too many trained soldiers, with access to high-threat weaponry. And 'going back on patrol' isn't much of an excuse.

Instead, she sends a message to her own hidden soldiers.
-Find a lookout, or security camera, and show it a 'Resistance strike team'. We'll come 'hunting' for you.-

Then, she pays close attention to the intercepted comms, sits up on her 'dumb cargo beast' and inspects the loot, pocketing or arming herself with a few choice picks, as a Captain should.
"Might as well head back with you. Our patrol was a bust, the Former-Baroness must be lying low. Too scared to try anything."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne

Well... that didn't go as planned. At least 'irritated and angry' isn't hard for Jo to fake right now.

"As you command." She growls, while sending another secret message to the squad.

-They're not going for it. You'll have to attack us. Make it look good, and frighten the 'pack beast' into bolting.-

As the patrol marches on, Jo examines the de-agitator, to see if her implants can mimic it. Considering what it's to be used for, a spare would be very useful.

Solo 1d8, Skrull Scientist 1d8, mimic 1d8, tech master 1d10

Mimic the godkillerkiller: 3#1d8 1 8 3 1#1d10 1
Yikes... and all out of PP too... things are about to get interesting.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jo'Lynne

Waking up with a headache, Jol'Ynne glares at her surroundings. She's cursing herself for slipping up, her team for not creating a severe enough distraction, Cor;Gt for whatever he stuck in her... a whole host of blame and scorn to go around.

Paibok and The Harrow both get the angry eyes as well, but as Jol'Ynne takes stock of her situation, her expression changes to one of begrudging submission.
-No eyes... does it use echolocation? Psychic navigation... is it in my mind? If you're in my mind, then you know I know I'm in no position to refuse this offer.-

"I think only a fool would choose death willingly... my lord."
She kneels before Paibok's 'throne' and looks between him and The Harrow, unsure how to address the creature directly.
"And you can tell your creature I'm no threat to you, and no Skrull would be foolish enough to start a fight they do not think they can win."

Finally, she tries activating her implants, for a diagnostic readout, or to see if she can still access any channels, but finds them unresponsive.
-Blast! Was it the drugs, or did I fall on them while I was out...-

Curse you and your railroading! Though really, that was just speeding up the inevitable once Jo blew her cover.

I'm also activating my gear's limitation, shutting it down and gaining a PP

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne

Jol'Ynne keeps her face straight, though she's certain the Harrow is picking up some disgust at how it feels in her mind. o O(Sickening creature is probably enjoying it too... looks like I'm going to have to burn some bridges. It's nothing he couldn't work out on his own, though.)

"I think it used to be a theatre, though if the Baroness is sensible, she will have changed locations by now. The armoury contained several unique weapons, we... she was hoping one of them would give us an edge over Godkiller, for a counter-attack."

She shrugs slightly. "If she had a plan beyond that, she didn't tell me. Probably just in case something like this happened. Or maybe she's making it up as she goes along."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne

Well, maybe this won't be so bad. Pai'Bok is clearly sensible enough to respect Jol'Ynne, which she likes, and who knows? If he manages to take the world, the Skrull Supreme Leaders may just let him keep it rather than waste more resources taking it back.

She's liking The Harrow less and less with each passing moment though. As she walks towards Pai'Bok, and then following a few paces to the side for respect (What Skrull would want an underling behind them, after all?), she asks "Just who or what is this Harrow? And what does it want in exchange for this help? So many soldiers cannot be cheap..." and before she seems too critical, adds some flattery. "Your strategy must be very thorough."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne

Jol'Ynne grips her head and begins scratching at it as though it were covered in insects, trying to dislodge it's attack, while trying to recall what she knows about psychics, and mental defences.

-Focus! Use a metaphor. You are in a safe, secure place.-
She pictures her laboratory, and the Harrow scratching at the door as she tries to endure the worst.
-Now, be angry! THIS was behind the attack at the party, not Pai'bok!-

That doesn't sound like a complication Jol'Ynne wants, especially as she doesn't know the cavalry is coming. I'm using Stamina d8 to defend as , if that's ok? It's not so much resisting, as ignoring the worst of the side-effects.
Solo d8, Proud Skrull d8, Enhanced Stamina d8

Resist Psychic Attack: 3#1d8 2 5 6
I'll spend 1PP to keep a third die and turn that from a draw into a success! Only a default d4 effect, but that doesn't matter on reactions, right?

In Jol'Ynne's mindscape, the doors are holding, but already beginning to crack at the hinges.
-I can't keep this up long... I need something else... damned implant, why did you pick now to shut down?-

She scrambles across the room to Pai'Bok, preparing to do all sorts of things medical professionals advise against, but the circumstances seem to warrant. And really, when you get down to it, what's the difference between a toxin and a mixed cocktail of combat stimms and adrenaline?

The difference is, Jol'Ynne isn't working newly shapeshifted glands overtime producing the former as she changes her hand to a scorpion-like stinger, and jams it into Pai'Bok.
-If it works, that's two minds it's fighting. If it kills him, I'm back where I was.-

The short version: Shapeshift some extra adrenal glands and other useful chemicals, then give Pai'Bok a Pulp Fiction.
Solo 1d8, Proud Skrull Scientist 1d8, shapeshifting 2d8, Medical Expert 1d8
Reckless medicine: 5#1d8 5 6 6 5 4
And I'll spend another PP here to keep a third die, for 17, with a d8 effect.

If this works, Tag Pai'Bok. Otherwise, the Harrow, I guess.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne - It's raining hungry bug monsters

Chasing after The Harrow, Jol'Ynne plans the best way to dissect such a creature. These thoughts are banished when she sees the outside, and the army raining down with only one thing on their mind, if the images from The Harrow were accurate.

She faces a choice. Pursue the Harrow, in the hope of extracting information from it, or make Pai'Bok call off his forces. There's a chance if the rebels and loyalists work together, they can turn aside the attack and evacuate... but the Harrow's knowledge could be needed to defeat the reinforcements it seems to believe are coming.

In the end, she decides a captured Harrow is useless if everyone dies before they can get it to a telepath or mind-probe. The disgusting creature can escape, this time. Jol'ynne turns on Pai'Bok and berates him.

"You weak-minded FOOL! That army of yours is doing to devour this world, and everything on it, including you unless it's stopped! Unless you want to be eaten, get your rebels working with the Baroness to drive them off, or Kly'Bn help you, I will show them your skull and do it myself!"

At the same time, she begins adjusting her cybernetics, to get them working again. Jol'Ynne has a feeling she's going to need them very soon.

Action vs. the Doom Pool to re-activeate Scientist and the associated gear. Buddy d6, Skrull Scientist d8, Tech Master d10. Using buddy since Pai'bok is nominally on Jo's side right now, she she's certainly not taking her eye off him long enough to count as solo.

Reactivate implants: 1#1d6 4 1#1d8 6 1#1d10 5
11, d6 effect. C'mon low doom pool...

Tag Pai'bok.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne
PP: 2
Physical Stress: 1d10
Mental Stress: nil
Emotional Stress: nil

Jo attempts to roll with the blow and mitigate the worst of it. She figures dodging too well would just needle him further. Still, Pai'Bok's sudden shapeshift catches her off guard, throwing off earlier observations.
Solo d8, Observe and Adapt D4+1PP, Stamina d8, durability d8
Dodge Pai'Bok: 3#1d8 7 4 5 1d4 3
Nope, nothing helping there.

With Pai'Bok gone and blurred vision fading, Jol'Ynne shakes her head, and slips through the same crack. Getting to the baroness /would/ be the best plan, evacuating all they can. She leaps from the wall, shifting some wings and trying to find the baroness, by air or by radio.
Solo d8, Observe and Adapt d8, Shapeshifting 2d8, Cybernetic Senses d10, Tech Master d10
Aerial Scouting: 4#1d8 6 7 7 3 2#1d10 4 5
14 with d10 effect.

As that goes on, Jo ponders her current situation. Caught between loyalties with Pai'bok and the Baroness. angering either would be a bad idea at this point, and bending the knee to a conqueror is one thing, but Pai'Bok is clearly going to be lord of nothing soon. Still, he has ways. His forces made a mockery of the Baroness', even if his governing skills leave something to be desired.

she ponders trying to get them to marry. It would either be the finest leadership seen by Skrullkind, or one would bite the other's head off after mating. Win-Win really.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne

For a brief moment, things are looking up. Jol'Ynne stands a little taller than usual, putting on a proud front after her earlier failures. Whatever glitch affected her implants will have to be worked out, that is if she's still getting funded after this...

And then, things happen, and Jol'Ynne finds herself buffeted by soldiers going one way, and civillians going all the others.

A cosmetic post for now, since I haven't been tagged yet, but am also the only one who hasn't posted... hope you weren't waiting for me, I've been distracted by Christmas.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne
PP: 3

Jol'Ynne looks at the invaders incoming, and then shields herself when they open fire, implants firing into action to boost her shapeshifting, and large bone plates form to take the worst of the fire. The speed of the attack doesn't give her much chance to plan, so it's nowhere near as elegant as she would have liked, but it gets the job done.

Defending! Team 1d10, Observe + Adapt d4 +1PP, Shapeshifting 2d8, Enhanced Durability 1d8, Tech Master d10
Defend: 2#1d10 8 7 1#1d4 4 3#1d8 7 1 6
15 with d10 effect, a d8 opportunity.

As the fliers start attacking the structures, she winces. If too many shield generators or air control towers go down, getting out will be that much harder. Still, most of the structures will be expendable...
Analysing the weapons of the invaders and replicating them, Jo sends rapid bursts of energy at fighters that look like they're going for important targets.

Team 1d10, Observe and Adapt 1d8, Shapeshifting 2d8, Mimic 1d8, Tech 1d10
Anti-air defence: 2#1d10 10 8 4#1d8 5 1 2 8
18 with d10 effect, 1d8 opportunity.

And now, to act.

Jol'Ynne keeps up her assault on the fliers, since it seems to be effective. Also, firing upwards means less chance of hitting the masses down below.

Same again, but on the offensive.
Attack fliers: 2#1d10 8 6 4#1d8 4 7 3 4
15, and going to use Jo's Mimicry SFX to step up the effect from 1d10 to 1d12.

As she blasts, Jo glances towards the newcomers, and yells "If you're not with the bugs, start taking evacuees! It's going to be raining more of them soon." Seeing a Kree among them isn't a good sign, and it'll look worse when Jo gets a chance to identify him, but at least he's fighting the right things. And hey, it could be worse. At least there's not a human there, those guys are always trouble...

Tag Ronan.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne
PP: 3

Ronan... THAT Ronan? If he saves the day, none of the Skrulls here will ever live it down...

"Skrulls? Are you going to let that stand? Show him why we're the longest-lasting Empire in history!"

Of course, words mean nothing if one can't back them up. Something suitably flashy and destructive... Jol'Ynne wishes she'd got a better scan of Godkiller, but that will have to wait. She pauses her assault and closes her eyes, then opens them and several more, some highly focused, others seeing in infrared. It's not the sort of focus one can maintain for long, at least not without alterning one's brain in ways that just set up more trouble, but as Jol'Ynne examines the invaders her implants begin computing as she analyses flight patterns, turning circles, weak points and weapon ranges.

Team 1d10, Observe and Adapt 1d8, Shapeshifting 1d10, Cyber Senses d10, Tech Master d10
Locking On: 4#1d10 2 1 10 1 1#1d8 7
17 with a d10 effect, which I'll call 'Locked On' if it succeeds, and take 3xp for creating an asset from observations.

Tagging Mysterio.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne
PP: 5
XP: 11
Physical Stress: 1d8, 1d10

Assets: Locked On d10

Jo crouches down, her bone shields curving to protect overhead as well, as her knowledge of the beams used helps weave the right sort of defences.

Same strategy for both attacks, Team d10, Observe and Adapt d8, shapeshifting 2d8, enhanced durability d8, science master d10
Defend vs. ground: 2#1d10 3 7 3#1d8 6 4 8 15 with d10 effect
Defend vs. air: 2#1d10 3 1 3#1d8 5 7 1 13 with d10 effect, not good enough.

She's not quite fast enough in covering her head, however, and takes a direct hit in the back. Skrull armour disperses some of it, but it's still an unpleasant event.

With a yell, the plates eject, and Jol'Ynne stands up, apparently taking the attack personally. "Insects! You think a beam that pathetic can stop a Skrull?"

She jumps, and is carried higher by the reptilian wings already forming, closing the distance with the fliers confused by giant Mysterios. Shooting them down one by one is clearly too slow, she decides. A wider blast is needed, like Ronan...

In the middle of the fighter team is what looks for a moment like an angry green disco ball, energy waves shooting towards previously marked targets, and other aerial signiatures.
Using Mimic on Ronan this time, mostly to grab an Area effect, Experimental Settings to double Mimic, and spending a PP to use 'Locked On'. This could go horribly wrong (Or horribly right for the Doom Pool). Team d10, Proud Skrull d8, shapeshifting 2d8, mimic 2d10, Locked On d10, Tech Master d10, Area 3d6

minor aerial detonation: 5#1d10 4 7 7 1 10 3#1d8 6 7 6 3#1d6 1...

And spending a second PP to keep a third die to make that 24, with 2 d10 effects and 2d8 efects, plus 2 opportunities.

Tag Ronan.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne
PP: 6
Physical Stress: d12

Observing the crowded mass of Skrulls trying for the main escape craft, and the relatively clear Kree craft, Jol'Ynne feels her immediate course is clear. Of course, they may not want to let her in, and the craft might have bio-sign locks... There's an easy solution there, too.

Letting the more extreme combat morphs slide away, but keeping the wings, Jol'Ynne lands in front of Mysterio and gives a salute. "Mighty sorcerer, the battle is won thanks in no small part to you and your allies. Do you require an escort back to your craft? Doubtless, you do not need to waste your energy on something so trivial as flight."

Mixing flattery and suggestion, Jol'Ynne awaits a response from the self-proclaimed Master of Magic. It also doesn't hurt to get on the good side of what is clearly a tremendous cosmic force, instead of approaching Ronan directly. A battlefield alliance only lasts as long as the battle, after all.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne

Shaking her head, Jo replies "Of course not, Accuser. I was congratulating your sorcerous companion on a job well done, and naturally you have our gratitude as well."

A not-too-distant explosion punctuates the pause. "You should hurry back to your ship though." with regret, Jo continues "Even with your help, we lack the forces to keep this world, and it's better to be part of the reconquest, than to die for a hopeless cause. Do you have the codes to bypass our orbital defences? They're probably all destroyed or busy, but better safe than spaced."

She highly doubts any of the aforementioned defenses have survived, but it's another excuse for her to be on a ship less likely to be shot down than the heavy transports. The loss of life is to be avoided, of course, but at times like this, a Skrull has to look after her own hide, or what's the point? Everyone else will be doing the same, after all, so as long as they know what they're doing, it's all good.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne

Just when it looked like things were going to be ok... Jol'Ynne is on her feet and leaning over the ship's sensors. "We have to save them." she states, and then considers her crewmates', and reasons that they might need motivation. "Godkiller, the firey one, will come for us next if we don't. And the thing she was carrying, The Harrow, it's their general. Psychic. If we take it out, the rest might stop attacking."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne

"My name is Jol'Ynne" she tells Mysterio and the others, and continues "Godkiller is a Skrull, though one in the thrall of the Harrow. No doubt whatever imbeciles created and augmented her installed some manner of psychic weakness, should she turn against them, that the creature has exploited."

She pauses when Ronan mentions the mystic's name. It seems familiar somehow... implications of the unknown...

Yes, from the briefings about Earth!

The style of dress...

The dramatic intonations...

The illusions and misdirections...

That's it!

"Nevertheless, with the Sorcerer Supreme as our ally, she should be of little consequence."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne

Wasting no time, Jo grabs hold of the weapon controls, as a combination of shapeshifting and cybernetic implants interface with it, to control the weapons as an extension of herself. She sweeps the guns with the ship in long arcs, firing on the Athrosian ships to keep the shuttle safe on the outside, hoping Ronan has things taken care of inside.

Using the ship's 'Maneuverable' and 'Omniwave Projection' aspects at d8 each, and I'm assuming Blackmane and Mysterio together make this count as 'Team' d10, along with Cyber-Senses and Tech Master, both at d10.

Spaceship shooting: 3#1d10 6 4 4 2#1d8 6 3

That makes a 12 with d10 effect.

"Master Sorceror!" She adds. "Can you counter The Harrow's psychic influence? The last thing Ronan needs is for more Skrull to join in."

Tagging Mysterio.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne
PP: 5 (4?)

"Son of a Dar'lag, who built this ship!? I could do better in my sleep." Jo'Lynne angrily yells as she wrenches the controls to steer and accelerate the ship out of the way of the incoming attacks. It's not exactly true, the Kree corvette is very well made, but Jo's hardly going to blame herself if something goes wrong.

If Blackmane is too busy cowering, I guess he doesn't really count as 'Team'... which means Jo gets to use Buddy d6, Maneuverable d8, Space Flight d12, Cybernetic senses d10 and Tech master d10.

Evade attacks: 1d6 4 1d8 5 2#1d10 8 6 1d12 8

And if I spend a PP to take a third die, that would give 22... am I better off not spending that PP and taking a larger die for effect, or making it a draw? I'll do whichever is more effective, though I think we're getting dinged either way.

As the lasers scratch and tear at the hull, Jo'Lynne disconnects from the console with another angry yell. "This is useless, we need to take out Godkiller and escape, not swat at flies!" She bends under the control console and stretches through the maintenance hatches to the weapons themselves, ready to make some upgrades with what she recalls of the anti-Godkiller weapon, and what schematics of it her implants managed to skan before her cover was blown.

Buddy d6, Skrull Scientist d8, Shapeshifting d10, Mimic (SFX Experimental settings) 2d8, and Science master d10

Enhance weapons: 1d6 4 3#1d8 8 8 8 1#1d10 6
And I'll spend a PP to keep a third die from that, for 24 with d10 effect.

Also, using SFX: Better Living Through Science on that, if I can.

Tag the next PC.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne
PP: 4
Physical Stress: d10

I'll spend that PP to make it a d6. A little faster to fix, after all. And clearly if Pai'bok wanted to be saved, he would have done it himself, no sense risking everyone else.

Jol'Ynne doesn't reply to Ronan at first, watching in silence. She nods gently at his words, and those of the Baroness, before announcing "I need to use the med-bay." and retreating there.

Inside, with the door locked, she sits alone on the treatment bed, staring at the tools, without really looking at them. -There must be something I can do.- she thinks, -But what? Perhaps...-

-Yes, that might be effective.-

Anyone passing my the room at this point might hear some muffled thuds, rather like a cushioned surface being struck repeatedly. This would be followed up by the louder thuds of a harder surface being struck, and a few things breaking, and finally, silence.

Eventually, Jol'Ynne does some actual medicine, and returns with a bandaged hand, a bloodstream full of painkillers, her implants doing their best impersonation of a healing factor and an expression of concentration as she focuses her shapeshifting on getting bruises to go away.

Healing roll. Jo is doing it solo for d8, though is rather distracted by recent events so I'm taking 'We're (ac)counting on you' as d4. Shapeshifting 2d8, mimic 1d8 and medical expert d8.
Healing roll: 5#1d8 8 3 5 2 3 1d4 2
That's a 13 with d8 effect.

"Where are we going next?" she asks, looking at the ship's monitors for an answer. "If they have more like the Harrow, each victory will strengthen them. Warning nearby worlds may be more effective... but put us at greater risk."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne
Physical Stress: d8

Feeling better physically, and at least more controlled mentally, Jol'ynne adds to the discussion on what to do about the Arthrosian superweapon. "I... agree with Cor'Gt." she says, with a little reluctance. "A tailored virus is our best chance of shutting down a biological weapon. A purely chemical or physical weapon they mould be able to adapt to more easily. But as for where to get those details... we would need to know their command structure and general setup, to select a suitable target for extraction. Or we would need to know where it was built, to reverse-engineer the process. either way, we need some intel from inside."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'Ynne
Physical Stress: d8

Jol'Ynne looks over the assembled group. Coming from a race of shapeshifters teaches one not to judge by appearances, but her search for some peers seems to have led her to a gathering of humans being inane...

Her train of thought is suddenly derailed by overhearing a certain phrase.

"Did you say Richards?" she interrupts. No-one actually did, but it was close enough. "We're not getting HIM involved. He'd probably just contain the wave in Skrull space, or just set it up against something worse. No, no, getting the so-called Fantastic Four involved would be a mistake."

Honestly, suggesting they bring in someone like that... those two can't be the ones responsible for that plan... and Spiderman? He's one of Richards' allies, back when he was wearing white... which leaves the fairy and the dog...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Jol'ynne

Checking the hand for any sort of trap first, Jo shakes Banner's back. "Jol'Ynne. Cyberneticist.". Amadeus gets a strange look, like a dog that's done a clever trick but also rolled mud all over the carpet.

"I find myself agreeing with Spider Man." she continues, pronouncing it clearly as two separate words, and assuming Amadeus was correct in identifying the masked man. Wears red, inane babble yet surprising combat prowess... he matches the Skrull intelligence reports. "The X Men," again, two separate words "would be of some use, but the amount of infighting and concessions required would only waste time. And I understand they have ties to the Kree, and with the exception of The Accuser, I do not see them aiding the Skrull easily."

"And in any case, this all relies on getting a message to Earth, and hoping they don't simply save themselves. I think contacting the Nova Corps as potential allies would work much better."

-Then again...- she thinks to herself, with a glance at the case. -Direct access to a Worldmind could give us exactly what we need... or more.-

• Locked thread