Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Oh man, this game owns. We had a group of goons doing the mission where you steal a tanker. We had to shoot some tires and then a splattered his head and grabbed it for delivery, but we had cops. Que the Benny Hill music as I am driving up a steep hill trying to avoid cops, which I ultimately ended up doing. However, the tanker became unhitched and my truck slide off. With only rims on one side, I couldn't drive back up. Goon friends came by to help, by ramming the tanker off the cliff and I was able to hitch it and take it in.

Teamwork!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Baron FU posted:

Yeah that's true. I actually crashed the first time I tried to do a non tutorial job. Logged off afterwards. It's really not worth wasting any more time until the servers are more stable.
Try it by inviting friends rather than quickmatching.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Baron FU posted:

Nobody is setting any world records. The servers are making GBS threads themselves and can't identify the actual world record. So it thinks anyone that finishes the race set a world record.

Nah, they're definitely changing. I had the world record of 2:56 in the first tutorial race that is blocking everyone. Then I got a text notification later that a friend on my friends list beat my world record and set a new one in the same race of 2:54. This was when the servers were really making GBS threads all over themselves. I've also seen world records get loaded and displayed in the races I did for testing in a Solo session and they were pretty low.

I think it's more that there has only been one prime time evening with semi-stable instances(missions, Jobs, etc) so far and who really wants to run those races except hardcore drivers anyway? I'm not really playing GTA:O just to leave free roam and get in a car and race, sometimes with Mario Kart style boosts.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Has anyone randomly spawned in the air? I did last night and BEAR OVERDRIVE assured me I would just spawn before hitting the ground. I hit the ground after 15 seconds of falling. I was pretty high up and it was loving hilarious.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I just want to get past the tutorial race. That's all. You can crash and poo poo all you want after that. :pray:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Meth'd up is like impossible to do solo. I couldn't find anyone in match making to do it so tried solo three times. Went poorly.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
It wouldn't be bad if they just let you back out of matchmaking attempts where it's clear nothing is going to happen. The only option is to bring up the XMB and quit the entire game. Forcing matchmaking immediately through a mandatory tutorial was a pretty big blunder, it creates a gigantic bottleneck.

In my case racing tends to be one of my least favorite GTA activities so I'm probably going to avoid doing it unless I really have to.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

PureRok posted:

I just want to get past the tutorial race. That's all. You can crash and poo poo all you want after that. :pray:

You have to get through the whole tutorial, which ends in another mission in a blue ring, Last Man Standing, before online opens up and lets you do anything like join crews and friends, etc.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It wouldn't be bad if they just let you back out of matchmaking attempts where it's clear nothing is going to happen. The only option is to bring up the XMB and quit the entire game. Forcing matchmaking immediately through a mandatory tutorial was a pretty big blunder, it creates a gigantic bottleneck.

Yea. The funny thing is I'd be able to play the online just fine otherwise. Once it bugged out and let me free roam without doing the tutorial. I couldn't do anything because I thought I was in a mission besides drive around and shoot a few people and die. But it was kind of fun. Proof that the tutorial is what's holding me back.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

cheesetriangles posted:

Meth'd up is like impossible to do solo. I couldn't find anyone in match making to do it so tried solo three times. Went poorly.

What part is killing you?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Applies to a lot of the co-op missions, the sheer damage output of the enemies makes it seems like they're not balanced for anything under four players. Not to mention the enemy AI seems to have real good aim even at a huge distance.

Did the one outside the Strip Club earlier, a single bullet completely destroyed my body-armour and a couple more put me straight into critical health. $9k payout, but had to be real careful with the cover.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Obsurveyor posted:

You have to get through the whole tutorial, which ends in another mission in a blue ring, Last Man Standing, before online opens up and lets you do anything like join crews and friends, etc.
Is that the deathmatch one? I backed out and it never seemed to try and make me do it again. I just took a car to the garage and then when it told me to go to the blue ring I entered, it threw me into a deathmatch hopper, and I hit Quit.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
I have mixed feelings about the game so far. Last night rolling with a goon crew robbing stores with helicopters and generally trying to have the longest police chase was really fun.

Now this morning my character is gone. When it works it's amazing but the huge server issues bring it down. Of it was just connection problems it wouldn't be too bad but losing all your progress is so aggravating.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

cheesetriangles posted:

If you are doing it solo, set the mission difficulty to easy(no penalty) and start from the side of the building without the rv. Kill the 2 men outside the doorway then kill the 2 inside quickly as they have shotguns that one hit kill if you have no armor. Move up take out the man infront of the trailer with the chainlink fence, then the man on the second level of the building to the far right of the rv. Ignore the 2 rooftop enemies get in the rv and drive towards the traintracks and go offroad to avoid the 2 bikers. Stay off the highlighted yellow route and stick as much as you can offroad to avoid the 2 4x4 trucks. You can do it in under 4 minutes solo get $5000 and around 1000 xp.

The fact you lose money if you die in mission is annoying.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Is that the deathmatch one? I backed out and it never seemed to try and make me do it again. I just took a car to the garage and then when it told me to go to the blue ring I entered, it threw me into a deathmatch hopper, and I hit Quit.

Does your phone let you call people on your friends list? Maybe just joining and quitting is enough to flag it now. They certainly could have changed it since I did it on the morning of the first day, after all the trouble they've been having.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Merchant of Death posted:

Doesn't it drop it on the ground though? I was doing a job in a group earlier and a guy died and I looted some stuff off the ground. Didn't see what I got though, just assumed it was probably a little money.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Has anyone been able to figure out how the VOIP works? I hear people talking, but I have no clue who they are, if they're in the same lobby, my crew, or whatever.

Edit: Tip: If you buy snacks from the gas station, you can eat them later using the emote, which gives you back your health if you're injured.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 3, 2013

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Doesn't it drop it on the ground though? I was doing a job in a group earlier and a guy died and I looted some stuff off the ground. Didn't see what I got though, just assumed it was probably a little money.

I wish the money dropping thing was spelled out. On Tuesday, I robbed a store and the owner shot me in the back and killed me(learned to keep my gun on them until I'm out the door now). I dropped the all the cash on the ground and just ran back and picked it up. Last night I robbed a store and the cops killed me and I didn't drop anything and had the whole score.

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Has anyone been able to figure out how the VOIP works?

It's session wide. You can hold the Back button(on 360) to change it between Everyone/Friends/Friends+Crew/No one.

Catpain Blackudder
Jul 25, 2009

Cluck, cluck, gibber, gibber, my old man's a mushroom, et cetera.
2 quick questions

Is it possible to aim from the passenger seat without shooting?

Im assuming this is a server bug but I'll ask incase, anyone else unable to buy property? keeps telling me I have insufficent funds despite having more than enough money to buy it

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Also I know Rockstar suspended GTA$ cash cards but when they come back you might want this in the OP.

Great White Shark - $20/£13.49 = 1,200,000 GTA$
Bull Shark - $10/£6.99 = $500,000 GTA$
Tiger Shark - $5/£3.49 = 200,000 GTA$
Red Shark - $3/£1.99 = 100,000 GTA$

Now that I've gotten an idea of what stuff costs in GTA:O (and the level gates for unlocking things) I have a feeling the only thing people might buy these for are going immediately to the sweetest house and/or maxing your weapon upgrades. I originally thought they'd be for the car upgrades, but to unlock the high end car upgrades you have to win races which gets you tons of money so whatever. But if/when heists are put in by Rockstar, I think for anyone in a crew, buying GTA$ is gonna be pointless.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 3, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Obsurveyor posted:

Does your phone let you call people on your friends list? Maybe just joining and quitting is enough to flag it now. They certainly could have changed it since I did it on the morning of the first day, after all the trouble they've been having.
Yeah, I have jobs all over the map and stuff, too. I didn't even quit out to campaign, I just quit the hopper because I thought to myself, "I am in no mood to play TDM at 5am on a Thursday," and it seemed to work and I went on my merry way! v:shobon:v

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Catpain Blackudder posted:

2 quick questions

Im assuming this is a server bug but I'll ask incase, anyone else unable to buy property? keeps telling me I have insufficent funds despite having more than enough money to buy it

Yes, just hit LT to aim and RT to fire as usual.

Is all your money in the bank? You can't pay for properties with out-of-pocket money.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Hold down the left trigger to free aim while in a car.

Try it from the realty website? Maybe you have to have the cash on you to buy it in person. I haven't had enough money to buy any property yet.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Yes. Just hold down the aim button.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!
Not sure how many people know this, but I'll put it up in case no one knows.

You're able to Deposit cash into your Back Account using your phone. (Go to Money & Services and then select Maze Bank there'll be a big red "Deposit" button.

It's fuckloads simpler than going to an ATM after every mission and it means if some clever bastard catches you after a mission and kills you, he'll get nothing as there will be no cash to drop!

Also, if you want easy cash. Ambush people who've just robbed a store and grab the cash they've dropped. Less chance of the police chasing you and the satisfaction you've stolen someones hard earned $1000!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I suited up...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Looks like the ps3 cloud is down :(

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Edit: Tip: If you buy snacks from the gas station, you can eat them later using the emote, which gives you buy your health if you're injured.

As in pressing down on L and R to eat and increase health? If that's true it should go into OP, very useful information there.

VVV Great to know! VV

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Beach posted:

As in pressing down on L and R to eat and increase health? If that's true it should go into OP, very useful information there.

And you can hold down the button to actually finish the drink, food or beer. Just tapping it doesn't give you the full benefit.

shuey
Feb 26, 2006
sports, not heavy crime
Can't wait to hear what people are saying to the strippers if that's possible.

"Girl you look like someone put all 24 hours into ILLEGAL ACTIVITY" :iceburn:

Logic
Jan 8, 2009
I just got online for the first time an hour ago on my PS 3. I created my guy and just dropped right into the world, no tutorial or anything. I either bugged out or they turned it off because it was causing so many problems.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Logic posted:

I just got online for the first time an hour ago on my PS 3. I created my guy and just dropped right into the world, no tutorial or anything. I either bugged out or they turned it off because it was causing so many problems.

Cloud is down... hope you didn't spend too long working on that character.

Hamare
Jul 21, 2010

If you are doing it solo, set the mission difficulty to easy(no penalty) and start from the side of the building without the rv. Kill the 2 men outside the doorway then kill the 2 inside quickly as they have shotguns that one hit kill if you have no armor. Move up take out the man infront of the trailer with the chainlink fence, then the man on the second level of the building to the far right of the rv. Ignore the 2 rooftop enemies get in the rv and drive towards the traintracks and go offroad to avoid the 2 bikers. Stay off the highlighted yellow route and stick as much as you can offroad to avoid the 2 4x4 trucks. You can do it in under 4 minutes solo get $5000 and around 1000 xp.

I succeeded on Normal solo on my first try. I then did about 4-5 runs on Hard, again solo. It's really not that difficult, you just need to pick the enemies off 1 by 1. If you try to engage out in the open, you'll get smoked. If anyone wants help with the mission, hit me up on

PSN: Hakim_am

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

coyo7e posted:

When on mission, if you die you lose 2,000$ for hospital fees and if playing deathmatch you drop a small amount of current weapon ammo and only 100$

In free roam, when you die you lose 2,000$ for hospital fees and any money you have over 5,000$. If less then 5,000$ you drop only 100$ and weapon ammo. If the cops kill you and you can get back in time I believe you can pick up the money over 5,000$ if not picked up by another player.

Hospital fees are related to how much money you have, for me it has capped around 2,000$ since I had around 50,000$ in the bank.

If you play a deathmatch die 10x it costs you 20,000$ and you only get around 10,000$ if you win I believe.

Racing/parachute seems to be the safest way to earn money and not die and lose out due to hospital fees.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The first character I made looked just like Commander Riker. He got deleted. My current one looks just like Alfred Pennyworth. Too bad by the time I can reliably play online, Pokemon will be out. :(

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Oh I think I might know why my free aim as a passenger wasn't working. I'm on PS3 and swapped aiming and shooting from the triggers to the bumpers, because gently caress those triggers. I'm guessing that in cars, where L1 is the default driver shooting, it'll require the triggers again. Okay, got to test that later.

Would also like to reiterate that you should buy the maximum number of snacks to take in missions. I was doing meth'd out with a pubbie, and taking damage sprinting to cover then scarfing down some candy to heal up kept me alive through the whole thing. There is lots of good functionality and features buried in menus and different combinations of pressing and holding buttons. Most of which Rockstar tell you about once, usually as a popup, and usually while you are busy driving or shooting so you miss it.

PRESSING AND HOLDING THE BACK/SELECT BUTTON GIVES A TON OF IN-GAME CHARACTER OPTIONS.

Putting on masks, sharing money from jobs, choosing expressions and emotes, it's all in there. Don't neglect your phone either. You can text message other players in the session, and you can phone friends who are playing GTA V for a voice chat even if they are not in the same session (which is cool as hell).

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

When on mission, if you die you lose 2,000$ for hospital fees and if playing deathmatch you drop a small amount of current weapon ammo and only 100$

In free roam, when you die you lose 2,000$ for hospital fees and any money you have over 5,000$. If less then 5,000$ you drop only 100$ and weapon ammo. If the cops kill you and you can get back in time I believe you can pick up the money over 5,000$ if not picked up by another player.

Hospital fees are related to how much money you have, for me it has capped around 2,000$ since I had around 50,000$ in the bank.

If you play a deathmatch die 10x it costs you 20,000$ and you only get around 10,000$ if you win I believe.

Racing/parachute seems to be the safest way to earn money and not die and lose out due to hospital fees.

Thank you for writing this out. Will need to watch that.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Is this new? I died a lot on Tuesday night in free roam and never lost any money out of my bank account. Maybe because I never carry any on me? Can't read this afternoon apparently.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

This is great to know and clearly explains where all my money was going last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Pro tip: Buy body armor at the mission setup, and you can do it without killing anyone. If you don't pull out your gun, you can jump in the van, drive right across the street, and then head straight through the desert to the drop-off point.

• Locked thread