Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

theBeaz posted:

Just checked for you... looks like a negative Goon sir.

vvvvv

Problem is you look just like me. And I look like everyone else.

Oh man that's disappointing. I suppose it makes sense though.

Thanks for checking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
You can go ahead and close my thread. This one's better. :shepface:

translucent_air
Dec 29, 2012
Just had a passenger in the car shooting other players, still a bit glitchy if you both get out and try to get in

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Holy poo poo Brucie just called me.

Survivals are fun as hell. Races are the best for leveling up and making cash if you aren't terrible at driving. Parachuting is fun, but doesnt give dick for money.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou

Obsurveyor posted:

No, that's your microphone or god forbid, Kinect, picking up ambient sound. Mute that poo poo immediately. People broadcasting all the time are the worst!

Oh god I'm sorry :ohdear:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

numbs posted:

You can go ahead and close my thread. This one's better. :shepface:

You can close it yourself, you know.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
Does robbing stores in quick succession increase the level you gain on your wanted meter each time? I did three in a row, the third and final was a little gas station in the middle of nowhere in the county. The wanted meter instantly jumped to four stars, and there is just nowhere to run nowhere to hide when you're being chased by NOOSE out in the open country.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

tehsid posted:

Reserved for stuff.
I added myself to the 360 google doc but typod my crew name, there's no "s" at the end. :blush:

Flanking in Violent Duct really makes things a lot easier. Made 110k in like an hour, and got to level 9. The online is really well done although the lobbies for jobs are kind of laggy at times.

Found out accidentally this morning, that after you successfully complete a mission and then hit "Like," you can hit the right trigger to automatically choose "restart" instead of waiting for the countdown and re-selecting the mission.

This is similar to how you can quick-restart after failing a job, but sometimes the button input will lag for a second or two before registering, and I don't think it actually displays anywhere that you can pres the trigger to quick-restart, unless you've failed..

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Parkingtigers posted:

I would add that everyone should make a female character too. First, it makes the intro cutscene a thousand times better. Second, 90% of player models in-game seem to be skinny white guys with beard, sunglasses, or beard and sunglasses. There's some variety, but not much. Working through a bunch of race and deathmatch lobbies today my girl just looked classy purely because she stood out so much. Tanned skin, blond hair, neck scarf. My girl Matilda looks amazing.

Also, something hilarious about the strip club. No bouncers, so you can touch the dancer as much as you like. The flirting is no longer a button though, you have to talk into your microphone to flirt. Rockstar are being glorious trolls here, someone somewhere is going to embarrass themselves over mic and I only hope I am there to witness it. :allears:

The character movements in cut scenes (and some general play mechanics) look butchy on a female character, so it's sort of funny. Works for my 7-foot blonde Amazonian woman though.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

Obsurveyor posted:

You can close it yourself, you know.

I'm using the Awful app.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
:siren: Selling cars at Mod Shops
You can sell most cars off the streets at the car mod shops. You can only do this every 30+ minutes or so though.
-A perfect condition Landstalker gets $5800

Anyone got other prices?

Merchant of Death posted:

Gallivanter Baller undamaged got me 9,000$
Obey Tailgater it was damaged and I got around 7,400$ for it.

Croccers fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 3, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

substitute posted:

The character movements in cut scenes (and some general play mechanics) look butchy on a female character, so it's sort of funny. Works for my 7-foot blonde Amazonian woman though.

I really wish that I could take selfies while riding in a car without doing a bunch of glitchy bullshit. It's awesome to pan the camera back on myself and see everybody in the car waving birds and firing at pedestrians.

Croccers posted:

You can sell most cars off the streets at the car mod shops. You can only do this every 30+ minutes or so though.

Anyone got other prices?
Check the OP of all three threads, one of them tells where to find a $9k SUV. I think it may be this thread's OP, actually.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
oops double post

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Beach posted:

Does robbing stores in quick succession increase the level you gain on your wanted meter each time?

Yes, it does.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

Psion posted:

Yes, it does.

Thanks, very good to know!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Finally managed to play a few races with someone called TorakFade. Was pretty fun. Still haven't managed to join a freeroam session with actual people, or a crew session, of which there are some active according to the system.

However I don't see mad money yet.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is it just me or is every single game session completely empty? There were 2 people the first time I gotted in, one person the second time, and ever since it's completely empty.

Probably a common problem but I've not seen it bitched about yet.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Well, if we're gonna do it over here...

How To Make a Character You Won't Will Less Likely Complain Is Hideous

1. Allocate your statistics first. These are done in points representing half-hours of an imaginary day in the life of your character. For a limited set of sliders, the combinations control everything from height and weight to facial bruising and hollowed-out eyes.

2. Make your face not ugly. (If that's what you want.) For a character with a clean face, sleep at least 8 hours a day and limit the amount of time doing "illegal activites" to two. If you pay close attention, you'll notice the amount of blotches and bruises and scars rise and fall.

3. Pick a set of starter clothes to work from. The stats you pick also pre-determine what clutch of appearance details you can choose from to start with for free. Sure, you'll change out of them soon enough, but you might as well like you have for now, right?

4. Okay now go pick your parents. Rather than seeing the cracked-out versions of all the faces you might be making because you didn't do your stats first, now you can really get a sense of how you're going to look.

I've heard around level 6 you get a chance to reconfigure you character's look again, but I don't know that for sure. All your stats will start off kinda crummy anyway so don't sweat it too much. If anyone wants to elaborate on all the details each slider controls visually, feel free, but that's your 101. And, of course:

MrLonghair posted:

code:
      Stamina Strength Flying  Lungs 
        \ /     \ /     \ /     \ /
       |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
Asleep | + |   | + | + |   |   | + |
F & F  | + | - |   |   |   | + |   |
Sports | + | - | + |   |   | - | + |
Legal  | + |   |   | + | + | - |   |
Couch  | - |   |   |   | + | + | - |
Party  | - | + | - | + | - |   | - |
Illegal|   | + |   |   |   | + | - |
            / \     / \     / \
         Shooting Stealth Driving

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Psion posted:

Yes, it does.
Do you get less after repeated robberies in one room/session, like you do in campaign? I am at work and can't test it.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
I had Martin Madrazo call me, but I was distracted by party-chat at the time. Can anyone summarize what he said, if it was anything other than "I might send you missions from time to time."

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Croccers posted:

Anyone got other prices?

Gallivanter Baller undamaged got me 9,000$

Obey Tailgater it was damaged and I got around 7,400$ for it.

You can sell one car every 48 minutes in game I believe.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Is it just me or is every single game session completely empty? There were 2 people the first time I gotted in, one person the second time, and ever since it's completely empty.

Probably a common problem but I've not seen it bitched about yet.

At this point you might be glad to just get into any session. I managed to join for a few hours last night in a group of about 10 people, and while players would occasionally leave the session I don't think I ever saw anyone new join. Most likely the continuing bottleneck problems.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!
I just loaded up GTA:O and it gave me the option to edit my characters looks. Anyone else had this happen? I keep my rank, but I can change up all my sliders and stuff. Weird!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If you die in a deathmatch do you lose money?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Stiggs posted:

I just loaded up GTA:O and it gave me the option to edit my characters looks. Anyone else had this happen? I keep my rank, but I can change up all my sliders and stuff. Weird!

I saw that last night. It warned that it would only appear once. I hope that's not true because I skipped it because I didn't have much time to play.

cheesetriangles posted:

I hope not but it wouldn't suprise me. Rockstar has a lot of money sinks in this game to push people into buying more instead of earning.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Aishan posted:

I had Martin Madrazo call me, but I was distracted by party-chat at the time. Can anyone summarize what he said, if it was anything other than "I might send you missions from time to time."

"You sound cool, I want some people dead and you will do it or I will feed you to my dogs."

Sounded like assassination missions, but I didn't get a chance to do any before I had to go.

cheesetriangles posted:

No.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So what stats decide height an general bodybuild? My first character that I made was a goddamn midget compared to Lamar, which in hindsight was a pretty funny to see.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
For character creation, I found that 4 hours is when the face bruises (even with 4-6 hours for sleep), and the partying stat just seems to subtract from the other stats. Height is determined by the sports stat.

substitute fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 3, 2013

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Well I deleted the patch and re downloaded it and also deleted my character and made a new one and now I've gone from being stuck at waiting for players to now being stuck at launching session. I guess that's a little progress. :shrug:

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
I don't understand that thing posted above so I'll just add the guide I used to make a human-esque female character

some goon posted:

It's hard as hell to create a female character that doesn't look like a loving neanderthal, but the closest I got was with the following settings:
Mother's Side
Grandmother 5
Grandfather 1
80% to Grandfather
Fathers's Side
Grandmother 4
Grandfather 1
60% to Grandmother
Female
90% to Mother's side.

And I have another question. If the cloud servers go down and your characters appear deleted, are they really deleted or will they come back when the cloud servers come back?

My game crashed last night but today my initial char was still there. After restarting just now, both my first char and newer one are gone.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Rad Valtar posted:

Well I deleted the patch and re downloaded it and also deleted my character and made a new one and now I've gone from being stuck at waiting for players to now being stuck at launching session. I guess that's a little progress. :shrug:

Online characters are completely cloud based. If you don't see him, it's because your game hasn't or couldn't load it from there.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Just set a world record on a motorcycle race lap (Staying On Track) by four seconds? Ok, sure.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Why can we give our characters a name, if it (seemingly) ain't used anywhere in the online game?

the truth posted:

Just set a world record on a motorcycle race lap (Staying On Track) by four seconds? Ok, sure.
I also set a WR on some race earlier. Surprised me.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Kifflom to you all, and Kifflom Spoilers!

I was shot to death by someone while driving, and thankfully my car kept going and killed that person right after- meaning we both killed each other. This was awesome and I was blessed with a scene that is in the spoiler below. Probably unrelated to the murder from beyond, but I like to think that it was a reward.

Cris came to me from a white screen telling me many truths before the screen went white again- this was probably just a hallucination because gently caress that guy. However if you go to the site on your phone you have the IP Address of a Unsavable.

Kifflom!

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why can we give your characters a name, if it (seemingl) ain't used anywhere in the online game?

Label for the list in the single player menu when selecting them maybe?

czechshaun
Dec 13, 2004
en trance

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why can we give your characters a name, if it (seemingl) ain't used anywhere in the online game?

I thought I set a world record on jet skiis last night, it said so on the mission complete screen and my time matched the world record, then I loaded the global leaderboards and I was ranked 140500.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Can we add to the OP that no one is actually setting world records?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

the truth posted:

Combat Pretzel posted:

Barely anyone is doing the races for some reason. And it often tells you that you set a WR when you didn't, probably because the leaderboards were down at the time.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I think people are kinda scared of trying to do any of the lobby based stuff at the moment since they don't want the game to freeze once they've managed to escape tutorial parking lot purgatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009
Nobody is setting any world records. The servers are making GBS threads themselves and can't identify the actual world record. So it thinks anyone that finishes the race set a world record.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think people are kinda scared of trying to do any of the lobby based stuff at the moment since they don't want the game to freeze once they've managed to escape tutorial parking lot purgatory.

Yeah that's true. I actually crashed the first time I tried to do a non tutorial job. Logged off afterwards. It's really not worth wasting any more time until the servers are more stable.

• Locked thread