Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

mcpringles posted:

This is my biggest gripe about the game. I wish you could join a group and find each other easier on the map.

I think you should be able to once the launch problems die down. There's definitely options to join a friend's session and to invite crew members to activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Aishan posted:

The problem is keeping a group together between doing free-roam stuff and heading off to missions. You often get split up once you head back to the open-world after doing jobs.

I haven't even got that far- never managed to get crew members invited, always had better luck getting random players. Still had some great fun races when I managed to get into a decent group.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Munion posted:

So for those who haven't realized... I just found out you can deposit your cash into the bank during a mission. So when you are running a bunch of missions in a row with goons, make sure to deposit most of your cash before finishing your final round. That way when you drop back into freeroam you only have 1 mission worth of cash on you.

You still lose money to hospital fees when you die in free roam though right? I'm assuming putting your cash into the stock market will guard against this, but I didn't want to tempt fate by relying on BAWSAQ remaining up.

Chard posted:

Two days now I've been able to get in but I get stuck at the "Waiting for players" stage of the first drat race. It's been sitting there for 15 minutes so far this afternoon :saddowns: I don't even have any buttons that work, if I want to do something else I'm going to need to reset the PS3 again, if last night was a clue.

e: I've never had to mess with port forwarding for Dark Souls or any other online features, is it likely that that's my problem?

Everyone but a lucky few have the exact same problems man. Yesterday I got a few hours of play in but today I can't access my character and creating a new one leaves me in the exact same situation as you.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Chard posted:

I can live with that, I just can't keep up with literally hundreds of new posts in three threads - I thought most people were having trouble with a step I'd already cleared.

I'm patient, I can wait, but I hate waiting when *I* haven't done what I needed to do.

The reason there are hundreds of new posts is that they are all identical posts to yours, asking why online isn't working. Read the OP.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

About where on the map is the hospital helicopter spawn at anyway?

It's the hospital near the strip club, a little to the south east of it if I remember right.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Can you have an apartment and a separate garage at the same time or are you limited to one piece of property? I know you can only have one apartment at a time.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nice one, thanks.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Arsonide posted:

I have one simple question that googling can't seem to answer: does GTA Online have pedestrians/AI traffic?

Yes. Though a bit less than in single player.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Using voice chat in this game reminds me of how drastically far ahead in every area of speaking and language technology modern smartphones are than game consoles. My new iPhone wouldn't even break a sweat transcribing all the things every player says and throwing them onto the screen so it's easy to read and identify who said what, and into a log to be checked or laughed at later. Not to mention the game itself being able to interpret my voice almost perfectly for a wide variety of gameplay functions, almost no matter how I word the request. I sure hope the next generation of consoles can do that stuff, because the lovely audio quality and no way to know who's saying what other than memorizing voices is getting REALLY old.

You are really greatly exaggerating how good Siri is. It fucks up like half the time even when I make a special effort to enunciate clearly. Controlling a game with it would be a nightmare.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

all apologies posted:

Really hope it happens to all you guys acting like its no big deal and being total assholes. :) Its all good because it most likely will.

It happened to me, I feel your pain. But I didn't post about it because a bunch of posts that are nothing but "My character got deleted gently caress you Rockstar" whining aren't entertaining or informative. They are tedious.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

So I'm curious as to what's actually causing characters to disappear. Are they being straight up deleted by the RGSC servers or is something preventing them from being accessed?

edit: I should mention that I don't expect a solid answer, just interested in some theorycrafting.

I think it's that the servers are down/inaccessible, so the game thinks no character exists. Many people in that situation have had characters reappear. The chances are good if your character still appears on the social club website.

Except a bunch of people like myself made new characters which saved over the old ones, so in those cases the originals are gone forever. The notes for the current patch say that a bug existed which meant that even creating a temporary character or a character in slot 2 could overwrite the original slot 1 character, which I'm pretty certain is what happened to me, as I lost my original character pre patch and never touched slot 1 in the hope he would reappear.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DrNutt posted:

I think it's funny that their position since launch has been like, "some people have experienced these occasional problems, and we're looking into it." I mean, I'm not expecting them to straight up say, "wow our poo poo's hosed" but the line they've been toeing completely obscures the scope of the current problems, and as a consumer I feel like it's kind of a dick move.

It's just corporate speak. "Some users" means "most users".

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

numbs posted:

They need to release those freakin' cash cards!

Yes that would be a good idea with people still losing their saves left and right.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So if I can save photos and access BAWSAQ that means the cloud is up right? And if my character isn't there then it's gone?

I assumed as much so I started yet another new character (but in slot 2 in case the original returns) and encountered a strange issue when I returned after a break and loaded her up.

Maybe my old male character is still alive somewhere in the cloud and has possessed my new female one? Another reload should sort out this issue.

Hmmm.

OK getting killed returns her to normal.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I don't believe this is as intended. If you die while carrying actual money, the game still deducts the money from your bank instead of the cash on hand (I had like 1800 in cash). I am pretty sure this is still bugged and not functioning correctly.

If it is functioning the way rockstar intended it's still hosed up as it's to expensive to have fun in free roam.

You aren't supposed to lose any cash on hand unless you have more than $5000. The hospital fees are a separate thing from that, whether they are an intended feature or a bug.

Seltzer posted:

How do you get the fighter jet. I've grabbed the helicopter and looked all around the military base, but no dice.

Seems like you were just unlucky, there are usually a couple around the base. One behind some fence just off the runway and one by a hangar.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Is there any way to clone cars in this like you could in 4, even if it takes another person? If I could grab a Baller and keep making copies that would be great.

I've seen a bug a couple of times where two copies of my personal car spawned, but the second one was locked. Happened when I was returning to free roam after doing some races.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

subroc posted:

And there's a new comment on the FAQ question. http://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200435267-Loss-of-characters-rank-items-apartments-and-or-in-game-money-in-GTA-Online

I wonder if it's OK for me to create a new character on the 2nd character slot while they work out the issues on my main guy.

I think your first character is gone, if you can access other cloud stuff like BAWSAQ and snapmatic and they don't appear. I'm in the same situation and tried a slot 2 character, which appears to be saving properly (so far). Surely if the cloud can retrieve my second character and BAWSAQ and snapmatic then it should be able to get my first guy if he still exists.

Mind you I don't know much about this cloud business, is a reason one thing on the cloud might load and another might not?

Edit- and this guy vanished even though I hadn't attempted to make a new character and hadn't hit retry at that screen (didn't even encounter the screen on that character).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Tobaccrow posted:

Because it's only two stars if you don't kill him... One if you wore a mask during the robbery and remove it when the cops lose sight of you.

If you're worried about that, just do one quick blow into your mic when the clerk slows down.

That reminds me, anyone know what causes the bug where you lose your hair when you remove a mask? Is it to do with the hairstyle, or the mask, or both? Encountered it with my long-haired male character and one of the skull masks.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Where do you buy masks? I saw someone on my team in team deathmatch earlier wearing a gorilla mask, but I don't remember seeing them at any clothing stores. Weren't they at some store on the beachfront in single player?

You buy masks at the mask shop (look on your map).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MrLonghair posted:

They've separated too many services onto too many different servers.

So my dude could still be alive in cloud limbo somewhere? Maybe I'll hold off on making a new slot 1 character.

MrLonghair posted:

Seriously cheesetriangles did you lose another character? I'll be your grinding buddy for races and survival and a little ducts, hit me up whenever I'm on

I don't understand why anyone is grinding anything right now when your character could disappear at any moment!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Yeah, why would racers get angry with someone running a demolition derby when they're supposed to be, ya know - racing? They must be like weirdos or some poo poo.

Someone driving aggressively, having no regard for the rules of the road? Not in my Grand Theft Auto.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Knightmare posted:

Money doesn't disappear. Also I'd bet most of us haven't lost characters.

Yes it does, I lost $30k on my first character. And surely most people have lost characters, there are enough posts in this thread about it. If there are people who haven't lost any I'd love to know what they are doing right that I'm not. I've followed all the tips posted by Rockstar, not pressing retry, exiting to single player every time, etc.

I haven't played today but I feel like it's a coin toss if my new lady from yesterday will still be there.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

They are actual people. The second time I successfully did the tutorial one of them crashed so much he actually lost to Lamar.

Well they are actual people if everything is working correctly. If everything is hosed (but not hosed enough to prevent you from playing) then it should put you in a solo race against Lamar.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ijyt posted:

Yeah, create 1 and be in up to 4 others.

But only one can be active at a time I believe.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I've hit level 12 and never once been asked to change my character's appearance. Where was it supposed to happen? Can I trigger it manually?

It happens some time before level ten. I get it when I've played a character for a couple of hours, and get the prompt when I load up that character again.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Slayer1597 posted:

I am not a dirty liar, also I had goon confirmation, I mean don't land it and gently caress around in the cockpit.

Also I would make the challenge that I could steal and land 5 jets in a row without getting killed. :colbert:

Yeah I will back up that you aren't a liar. You can casually fly in and land right next to the jet, I've done it a bunch of times.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Capoeira Capybara posted:

I've tried to not be too hard on Rockstar over this, but this last patch was the coup de gras. People are still losing characters, some people still can't even get into online, and those who can get online have had their single player saves hosed.

In spite of all of this, they have still found time and resources to nerf grinding 3 separate times in the last week. That line they gave us about this game not being pay to win was bullshit. Every action they have taken since online launched has contradicted it.

GTA online, brought to you by loving Zynga.

Jesus man. I've lost several characters and I'm not this angry. Is replaying the same mission again and again that important to you? Why grind when-

1. You could lose your character at any moment.

2. You can have lots of fun just messing around at a low level.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I believe having a high stealth stat also means you can move faster while sneaking.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Which is the best cheap apartment? Are they all identical inside? Any of them have cool unique things?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Davoren posted:

I just found this site, lists the apartments by price, garage size, and what the view is like.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/12373-gta-online-apartment-list-prices-garage-size-interior-and-exterior-views.html

That just has the expensive ones though.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

There are 3 tiers, low, mid, and high. The high ends start at 200k I think, though there might be one mid level that high. All have the basics, but you get bigger garages and then the heist room with the more expensive ones.

You get half your money back when you upgrade, so if you are on the borderline, just wait until you can get the next level of apartment so you can enjoy the bigger garage.

The expensive ones have windows that let you see the city, as well as any chaos in range. Combined with the spectator mode from the TV, its something mildly entertaining if you are getting some food or whatever.

Also, what this guy said.

Thanks, but I know all this, just wondering what the interiors of the cheap ones look like.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

GruntyThrst posted:

Nope all the 200k+ apartments have identical interiors. There's actually only 3 interior models: low end, midrange, and high end.

Ah thanks for the information I was paralysed with apartment buying indecision. That's too bad, hopefully in the future they will add more interiors, or allow you to customise existing ones. Even being able to change the wall colours would be a good step.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Funso Banjo posted:

I would like a wiki that explains all this GTA online crap. There seems to be a fun game here, but I am confused and think I am missing it.

Single Player is GoTY, though.

What's to explain? You can do deathmatches, races and missions or just mess around doing whatever in free roam. It has tutorials every time it introduces something new.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ruddiger posted:

I skipped buying a standalone garage and sent straight to a midlevel apt then rooftop rumbled my way up to level 40 and bought the most expensive apt in the game. If I go and buy a garage so I can get the achievement, am I out the 400k that I dropped on the apt? Or can you own both a standalone garage and an apt?

You should have the achievement already from your first apartment purchase, since it comes with a garage.

Did you buy the apartment using the internet or the sign outside? Some people have mentioned a bug where the achievement only triggers from buying a property using the web site and not from using the sign.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

If you are in Goon Street and aren't playing or haven't ever wore the tag, I'm about to start clearing out some room. We got some cool guys in this crew and other people deserve a chance to play with them. So if you don't have any crew RP, you're getting booted.

Then I'm glad I finally got a crew game the other day! Even though I hosed everything up for my team mates with some terrible flying in Top Fun. I think because I use free aim I never seem to encounter crew members, despite wearing the tag since online launched.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Obsurveyor posted:

I'm not sure you can trust the website. It says I've got 0 RP but I've put in a shitton of time with the crew as I'm sure anyone would confirm(including you :D) and the last tooltip I recall popping up said my crew rank was like 44 "Enforcer" or something.

Yeah the website shows me as having 0 RP as well, when I'm certain my crew rank has gone up a bunch of times.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

On further investigation, going to http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/goon_street/gtav shows me with 0 seconds played and 0 RP at the top of the page, but looking on the leaderboard further down the same page shows me with 362,000 RP. Social club! :argh:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there a trick to proper ramming? I can only make someone spin off the road hitting his rear like once in 8-10 attempts, while I'm spinning out pretty much anytime someone rams me.

--edit: Ooooo, I finally found out how Catch Up actually works. Apparently it slows you down if you're ahead. This explains why my tricked out Sanchez frequently starts to crawl like an idiot in various offroad races. I always thought it was the varying surface types creating rolling resistances. Well, that's loving stupid.

Remember your driving school lessons from San Andreas! You need to do a P.I.T. manoeuvre- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIT_maneuver

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

BitBasher posted:

Bah! Traffic on always makes races better. It is a hell of a lot more challenging when the race course isn't totally static and boring.

Same with wanted levels. That race at the military base in particular is crazy chaotic fun with wanted levels since you have the army after everyone. But whenever I host and set up the race that way every other player whines about it.

Still, not as bad as in GTAIV when half the free roam sessions had cops turned off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Corzaa posted:

Are you sure you did'nt leave it too late and join it while it was in progress?

Yeah I didn't think there were any limitations on joining other people's missions, just on hosting them. I've certainly played many missions that were much higher level than me.

• Locked thread