Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I haven't played it eight million times like everyone else has, but I just got invited into one and it was pretty much the same. I guess maybe the agents were a little tougher? And the last one tried to run into a car but I managed to shoot him before he got to it, and I'm not a great shot. Did you get chased by vehicles before? I'm not sure if that's new or if it's the same and I've just not been noticing people bombing the vans before they got near me.

They've also added a "Mental State" mechanic which triggers when you attack other players, cause damage, or even hurt pedestrians, which is probably going to prove to be very annoying. On a related note, is there a way to increase your Strength without spending a year punching the crap out of pedestrians?

Also in the notes:

Rockstar posted:

- Fixed an issue where it was possible for the Armoured Trucks to continually spawn.
Wait, what issue, you mean that wasn't supposed to happen? Ugh, great, that's another fun thing that doesn't happen anymore.

Also,

Rockstar posted:

- Fixed an issue where all players wearing masks in an Apartment would lose them and become wet if the host player took a shower.
Ahaha what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Other things they've added include more expensive, open-topped versions of some of the high-end sports cars. They've also added a new version of the Voltic with a roof, at the old price, and made the topless (not convertible) version more expensive. Which means selling the car (still at its old price, I believe?) and re-buying it if you want a roof on your car. Bit dumb, to be honest.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

We now have two property slots. I don't know if there's any real benefit to owning two apartments, when you can just have one apartment and one relatively dirt-cheap ten car garage. Still aren't any decent apartments or garages outside of a small section of Los Santos, though, which is a shame.

Still not sure what I could use my second garage for. I already have one car that I think is nice from each type, or placeholders for vehicle types I don't really care much for or use. I guess I could do with an actual racing bike, since even when upgraded the Bagger can't catch someone on a bicycle. I'm too broke to do something ridiculous like making a rainbow fleet of display-purpose-only supercars. And now that they've priced the Bifta, there aren't even any freebies anymore, which is sad.

I still don't really get this mental state stat. Okay, it differentiates reckless players from confrontational players... But you get points if you kill someone who was attacking you first. You get points if you take down a bounty. Hell, you get points if you run over a pedestrian on the pavement, according to the popup I received earlier. So sure, hard red dots are rampaging arseholes, but is someone with a handful of points just not a fan of pedestrian crossings and traffic laws? Or are they an arsehole who hasn't really put their foot down yet? Also, landing a stolen plane in the lake gave me a popup for some reason, who the hell am I hurting there, a school of fish?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I've just been driving around, listening to a couple of guys who are talking about how Rockstar needs to make the game better by making the cribs into a Sims minigame, and giving us more random and useless junk to buy, like guns that only last for one life.

So, if you ever wondered who their target market was, well they're out there.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

titties posted:

There's an adjustment period, I wouldn't recommend trying to PvP right away. It helps if you played through single player in free-aim.

When I first started playing GTAO in free-aim I only did it for missions, switching back to assisted for general free roam fuckery. If anyone is interested in getting their feet wet, hit me up and we will run some missions.

I prefer free-aim because the auto-aim never really does what I want it to, but I guess that's down to how I'd played Max Payne and Red Dead Redemption. It's not that much of a pain to re-learn how to shoot people in the face, though.

And to be honest I'm still an awful shot. Most of my kills are panic-firing the automatic pistol at whoever happens to be chasing me down the highway that day.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Does it only work for your active crew?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

The only difference it has made to me so far is knowing whether or not the guy in the helicopter behind me is going to be trying to blow me up.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I got curious and decided to look up how much the expensive supercars cost in real money. Then I found out you can now buy eight million GTA-dollars, for £65 or $100.

loving what.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Is there any agreement on what the "best" of each type of vehicle is? Now that I have a second garage I'll be getting myself a race bike, because my Bagger may as well be a pushbike.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Has anyone else on PS3 noticed the loading times getting even more obnoxiously long recently? I've seriously been sat here for ten minutes waiting for the game to start up and sort itself out.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Whenever I choose "join crew members" it fails, clearly you people are playing but the game insists there are no compatible players to join.

I want to play this new, shiny, apparently ridiculously profitable mission too, game. Come on.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Wow this mission is buggy and lagged-out as hell, I don't know if it's the amount of dudes or the explosions or what, but drat.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

And it had a few odd things, like a red and white Cargobob that I haven't seen anywhere, and Niko in floating torso form. Where did they even get that, anyway? It's not like he's even in this game, unless I've missed something.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Yeah, it's great when you get a string of armoured trucks like that. You can just go for the cheap tactic and get Lester to turn off the cops, which gives you three minutes of freedom to bomb the living crap out of things, and the first one you hit will almost certainly pay for that on its own. Of course they do sometimes drop nothing, which I'm sure is a feature and not a bug at all.

I drive a Voltic for Super car races. It does me well if I don't end up on a track with a ton of straight lines, but to be fair it does help that the people I race tend to be even worse than I am, so a lot of the time I gain the lead when I haul rear end round a corner past someone who's managed to throw their glitterball Adder off the road at 200mph. It's pretty drat nimble and accelerates quickly but it's not quite as fast as some of the others, and it's electric, so it doesn't have a turbocharger option, I think. I do want to get hold of a proper supercar, probably the Entity. Like you said, it's nice to not be shot at, which was why I was so pissed off when my Voltic turned up without a goddamn roof.

My main garage contains a Voltic, a Felon, a Rapid GT, a Mini(?) a Bifta, a Bagger... Uh, I think my muscle car is a Phoenix? I don't actually give a poo poo what my SUV and Sedan are at the moment because I haven't found any that are particularly appealing yet, and my Classic is just that one cheap-rear end thing you find everywhere because I do not have the money to burn on something classy. Which is why I asked about what cars people like a few days ago.

I'll probably pick up a Sandking and a Rebel for my second garage, which is currently 9 worthless placeholder cars and an Akuma for racing, which was a pretty good suggestion, whoever that was. I'll save up for an Entity there, and I'll probably grab a van, for the sake of having a van. And like I said, if there's anything particularly neat or good that anyone can suggest, I may as well add that to the list even if I'll never be able to afford it all.

Goddamn you Rockstar why does your online economy have to be such a pain in the arse?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Oh, so everyone's in auto-aim? That would explain why I have never been able to auto-join crew members even when I do change my active crew.

I don't mind auto-aim missions too much, but it makes me an even worse shot than I already am somehow.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I would be up for this, it'd be neat to actually run into you guys for once. If we're doing it today, it's my day off and I'll probably be up until some stupid time in the morning, GMT, so whatever works really.

I will need to go spend some money on modding cars and playing dress-up, but eh, I might as well use some of my profits from those two or three rounds of FOS4 I did.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

It sure would be nice if it aknowledged all your crews for that sort of thing. Switching crews mid-session isn't exactly convenient.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

So if I've got my time zones right, that's half an hour from now?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Well uh yeah then I guess my brain is broken from lack of sleep and working nights. Never mind.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Yes, I am on the forum. I'm glad I finally got to run into some of you guys, and only got killed in a horrific explosion once.

Hopefully there will be more ridiculous stuff happening later, when I don't have work the next day. That Sandking mayhem thing sounds like a great idea.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I was disappointed to find you can't take selfies on a bike, as a passenger. Would have made for some pretty good shots.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I know someone said they had a news van, but I don't know that you can upgrade them at all. I'm not sure what would be a good van to use as an alternative.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

...does that say FIB?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

Given that it's E3 does anyone think we will ever hear where the gently caress heist and the new DLC have vanished to?

Psion posted:

hahahahahahahaha no

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Not to mention having to buy into the entirely new system, which I don't think I can afford until 2019.

I really hope this "Hahah I guess all the new updates will be next-gen only" mentality is just cynicism. But then again, videogames.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Ugh, more new shiny things to not buy because I'm still saving to get an Entity. And the Dubsta could be a neat thing, but again, level 100 required.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

titties posted:

You buy it from Warstock and it spawns in your garage with tracker and insurance like any other car that you get from the website.

I still haven't looked at the new weapons or masks yet, anything worthwhile there?

Yeah, the new masks are four different animal heads, and a reskin of each. A fox, an owl, a racoon I think? Not really that notable, unless you want to be a furry run an animal-themed gang.

The weapons are a pistol that is pretty similar to the other pistols, and so kinda redundant, and a dagger that looks like a secondary weapon out of an Assasin's Creed game.

Also, as an aside, are rally races stupidly broken for anyone else? I spend a lot of time jumping into random races to try and unlock more tuning options, and a few times I've ended up joining a rally race that immediately fails to load correctly and then dumps me back in a freeroam session.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Okay I've just had someone performing wizardry in my game, so I have some questions.

I'd been tooling around in an unfortunately barren free-roam for some time. I had a random bounty from stealing a car, I decided to see how much my Flying skill would go up in the time it took that bounty to complete itself. Yes, that's how bored I was. Eventually gave up, crashed the thing and respawned in the storm drain bit by that mission everyone used to grind constantly.

Climbed up the ladder to get to the surface and find something to do, and I noticed a dot right on top of me. Assuming they were trying to kill me for the bounty, I hauled arse up the ladder, took cover behind a pillar, then turned and fired at the guy. The guy instantly warped on top of me. I punched him in the head, loaded a bunch of SMG rounds into him... and he just walked to a nearby parked car and got into it. And then it started changing colours. So, obviously, I jumped in for a ride. I mean, what the hell else do you do at this point?

We teleported down the road a couple of times while this car decided what colour to be, and then immediately blasted forward at top speed, hurtling over and through everything in the way. A few seconds later we bounced off some scenery, headed into the air still at full speed, and then exploded. I paused the game to message him a congratulations on his unorthodox bounty-hunting, and he dumped some money and a bunch of weapons on me. I had BZ Gas, whatever the hell that is, I had a stun gun, which you can apparently fire while driving, and I even had Chop's tennis ball? We "drove" around a bit more, tooling around, we careen off the road and explode again, this time when we respawn he dumps a couple hundred thousand dollars on me. Then as I paused to message him again, my power dropped, which sucks because that was actually fun.

So, I can definitely afford an Entity now, but er, are Rockstar going to care, is my account hosed? And would it be a good idea to track this guy down for more adventures?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Unless I can somehow grind 24 levels and a ton of cash by then (not likely) I'll be bringing a Sandking along. I hope I'm not the only one...

Oh, and I'll actually remember to switch my crew tag, this time.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

titties posted:

4. 2 cars will approach. You only have to deal with the one on your side. Once you kill about 2 of the passengers, the document will spawn inside a moving vehicle. Ignore everything else and drive off after it.
5. Shoot the driver, pickup the document, drive to the mission marker.

I ended up having to retry this mission five straight times last night. Every time, the documents mysteriously exploded. Is that thing where you can shoot fuel caps to instantly explode cars in this game? Or is the getaway vehicle ludicrously fragile, or did I just end up stuck with destructive idiots?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Buy the Entity. Up to now Rockstar have been removing glitched cash, but not any assets you buy with it. So upgrade your car & house while you can.

Advice taken!

Edit: Oh wow Rockstar, nice work on adding a border for photos and then not actually cropping the picture to fit it.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Yeah I had that, then I had a network issue where it told me everyone else left, and then it crashed on me. And now it's taking ages to load the game again. GTA!

But hey, I was in for all of five minutes, and at least I got brutally murdered a couple times before someone pointed out I was an ally. I'll definitely change my crew tag this time.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I really like the way GTA will try to load a different lobby before it checks that you can actually connect to it, and then has to dump that and re-load another lobby instead. Works really well and makes a lot of sense.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

No, I am the whitest of dots, I entirely expect it. Hell, I'm only disappointed at how I couldn't get any good photos of the chaos and destruction going on. Or at least a shot of a Dubsta parked on top of my Entity or something.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

In the lobby I was just in, some guy was complaining that he didn't have any money when he got charged his mechanic and utility fees, and now his power in his in-game house wasn't working and he didn't have a shower.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I wouldn't say I'm disappointed with the game as such, because the events that happen around other players are a bigger part of the fun than the events the game provides for you. I think the main thing I find underwhelming is the aspects of the game that encourage a pay-to-play system, such as the low payouts for many missions, and the way Rockstar have modified popular (read: lucrative) missions to make them harder to complete frequently and quickly. It makes it a chore to afford things like high-end apartments, top-end cars and alternate transport like boats and aircraft. Sure, you get them eventually, if you have the patience to save a million or so dollars, but even without spending money replacing ammunition, that takes a long bloody time.

I get that it is literally to encourage people to buy in-game credits, but I can little afford to burn what I already spend on video games through DLC packs and the occasional new game, so it would take something astronomical to get me to pay more. Heists on the moon, with sci-fi weapons and altered gravity? Okay this is now a Saints Row MMO, but fine, take my money.

I'm not expecting much from Heists, I'll be content with more interesting missions, ideally with decent payouts, it doesn't have to be as convoluted as the single player game. Honestly, I enjoy a fair few of the missions, as simple as they sometimes are, if just because when you're working in a team there's always someone ready to cock things up in a way you hadn't expected. I'd like missions with more variety to them, but I'm happy to have a few rounds going through Rooftop Rumble, Coveted, and whatever those other two simple, profitable missions are (Titan Of A Job, maybe?), and then spend the returns on new shiny cars and respraying them matte black.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Sorry guys, the "multiple players in one game" bug is going to be patched out on the next-gen release. Rockstar devs are working on fixing it as we speak.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

The musket seems neat. Can't change weapon when reloading it, which isn't great, and I can't aim for poo poo, but it's a neat thing to have. I'd say the same about the firework gun, but isn't that just a temporary gimmick weapon? I don't want to buy something and then have it removed.

I am kinda annoyed I'll never be able to afford the monster truck, but if I can't respray it and stuff then I'm alright with not buying it.

Anything I definitely need to grab before this is over? And are we planning any PS3 shenanigans for this update?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

What are the (PS3) Goon crews now? I know there's WEZL and MTNC, and I'm in both (although I forget to change to my crew tag all the time), wasn't there another one though?
EDIT: I know those are the "official" ones, but I'm sure there was something else during the Dubsta/Sandking thing.

TheDarkFlame fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 3, 2014

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Off the top of my head the most lucrative missions are Rooftop Rumble and Coveted. Both of those have been made more complex to make them slower to complete, but they're the best two from what I know. I think they're also the best ways to grind levels too, which is something I should really get on with since I've now got enough for the Dubsta and I've only gone up two of the twenty levels I need. Most of Martin's missions have fairly decent payouts, but like I said the most popular ones for grinding money (probably due to the time you can complete them in) are those two.

Or you could just take advantage of broken coding to make a ton of money, I guess.

Every time I start up GTA Online, I have to switch my aim mode from Assisted to Free Aim. Is there any way to do this without switching into single player? I don't mind doing missions like that too much, because earning money is earning money, but it's oddly uncomfortable and I'm somehow an even worse shot than I am in free-aim.

Also, carbon panelling, like you find on the Voltic and other supercars: Does it actually do anything? And is there a way to get your paintwork to match it? I haven't meddled too much with the metallic/pearlescent paints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The carbon roof changes the car's centre of gravity, which affects cornering. The hood is mostly cosmetic. Get the free Elegy from your phone and drive it round without the carbon roof, then with to see the difference. Then fit a roll cage and spoiler and really go nuts.

This is actually a pretty good idea. I have the Elegy, haven't meddled with it too much yet, but I've got some money to burn since I'm nowhere near the right level to buy the things I want yet.

quote:

I've never been able to match [the carbon] because it does something odd with the specular map - it's not quite gloss and not quite matt.

Yeah, I thought this might be the case, which is slightly annoying. I'll have to just deal with the weird look of the thing, unless there's a way to get rid of the carbon roof, which seems to not be an option. I'm assuming you always get the carbon roof with the hardtop Voltic, especially if it actually changes the way the car handles.

• Locked thread