Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«12 »
Saint Freak
Apr 15, 2007

Let me tell you about the time I was canonized...

Beyond: Two Souls is an upcoming "interactive drama action-adventure video game" (Read: QTE) for the PlayStation 3 console, starring Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe. It is being written and produced by David Cage and Quantic Dream studio, known for their previous works Omikron: The Nomad Soul, Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy, and Heavy Rain. Unlike Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls will NOT be Playstation Move compatible.

A demo is currently available for download on the Playstation Network
Full retail release dates as follows:
October 8th (NA)
October 9th (AU)
October 11th (EU)
October 17th (JP)

Beyond: Two Souls is Rated M for Mature by the ESRB. An ESRB synopsis can be found here. Note that ESRB synopses may, and often do, contain vague spoilers.

Shamelessly stolen BEYOND: Two Souls™ Overview from their website:

From the visionary mind of David Cage, director of the award-winning Heavy Rain™ game, comes the most powerfully emotional experience on the PlayStation®3 system. A singularly unique psychological action thriller delivered by A-list Hollywood performances, Beyond: Two Souls™ takes you on a thrilling journey across the globe as you play out the remarkable life of Jodie Holmes.

Born with a connection to a mysterious entity with incredible powers, Jodie was different. In an adventure spanning 15 years of her life, your actions will determine Jodie's fate as she faces extraordinary challenges, danger, and heartwrenching loss on a journey to discover the truth of who she is. Beyond: Two Souls promises an emotionally-charged journey unlike any video game before.

Dive into a gripping and unpredictable psychological action thriller starring Academy Award-nominees Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe.

Nifty Visual Features (Click for Large)

Call of Duty : Ghost

Real-time Pit Stains

Hollywood Explosions

Puppies

Per-son-a!

Trains

gently caress your coffee

Pre-Order Bonuses
Pre-Orders from GameStop/EBGames will receive an exclusive 30-minute playable additional scene DLC, as well as the Special Edition of Beyond: Two Souls (while supplies last), which includes:
-Exclusive Steelbook Premium Packaging
-Extensive Behind The Scenes Video Features
-Soundtrack
-PS3 Dynamic Theme
-PSN Avatar Bundle

Obviously, due to the nature of what Beyond: Two Souls is please be careful with your spoiler tags.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at Oct 3, 2013 around 23:47

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

BUDDHA'S A BRO
296 Fuckups and Counting!

I call this game Beyond: Two Ellen pages.

That's all I've got and I'll come back once I beat the game. Honestly though, I had more indigo prophecy vibes from this than heavy rain.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

not all who wander are lost

Just gonna say here what I've said in other threads; I liked Heavy Rain and thought the demo for this was fun and pretty awesome. Playing as Aiden is easily the highlight, that poo poo is cool as hell with all the things you can do. So this game is pretty much Poltergeist Simulator 2013 with a whole story that can go multiple ways depending on your successes or fuckups.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I found the whole "take care of the soldiers as you huddle in the corner" to be weird. I guess you just wreck cars and the occasional body hijack as things go.

But hey, its David Cage. Even when he's bad his team is still trying out stuff that no one else is even attempting.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

It's David Cage so expect it to completely fall apart about halfway in.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Lowtax

I've heard nothing but good impressions for this game and loved Heavy Rain. Very excited for this game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006
Do not engage or respond to me, as I am an insufferable prick. I love posting about posting or posters, rather than actual content. But it's cool because I'm smarter than you and have the correct opinion on every matter.

Stare-Out posted:

Just gonna say here what I've said in other threads; I liked Heavy Rain and thought the demo for this was fun and pretty awesome. Playing as Aiden is easily the highlight, that poo poo is cool as hell with all the things you can do. So this game is pretty much Poltergeist Simulator 2013 with a whole story that can go multiple ways depending on your successes or fuckups.

Unfortunately Heavy Rain doesnt diverge all that much, not in any way that matters anyway.

I still enjoyed it and being an rear end in a top hat ghost looks fun here, too.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

I really liked Heavy Rain but I got the worst possible ending because either the controls say one thing and mean another or I'm just insanely terrible at trying to interpret what the game devs want me to do with the controller.
This demo proved the same will be true for this game.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The strange thing is I usually ended up being the Heavy Rain defender. I even thought the "twist" worked!

The only aspect I hated was the 14 or so different endings. instead of crafting a few well-earned moments, the game just vomits an ending at you - and the tone is usually incredibly jarring. You shouldn't be able to walk into the climax and either end up with a) an ending where everyone is dead after your main character kills himself or b) an ending where the characters stop just short of singing kumbaya around the campfire.

But oh man, that traffic chase? I'm willing to play all of Beyond Two Souls JUST for the chance the game might offer up anything near that level of excitement.

Orgia Carnaval
Oct 22, 2010

As someone who enjoys dumb games with dumb stories, I loved Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain and am hoping David Cage can deliver this to me. From the pictures in the OP it certainly looks like he's turning the crazy up to 11 and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Saint Freak
Apr 15, 2007

Let me tell you about the time I was canonized...

Narcissus1916 posted:

I found the whole "take care of the soldiers as you huddle in the corner" to be weird. I guess you just wreck cars and the occasional body hijack as things go.

Yeah, I imagine there is going to be other big 'gently caress poo poo up' sequences in the game like that, but I was kinda more interested in the 'passive-aggressive douche ghost' sequences like knocking everyone's poo poo over in the train car. Hopefully the game has its fair share of those moments too.

Cyra
Nov 1, 2006

Shake it tails

I like that this game is basically Ghost Trick meets Heavy Rain. I think the way they handled QTEs this time around is fairly ingenious, even if it led to me screwing up several times. Much more intuitive and visceral. I'm intrigued and might have a hard time convincing myself not to pick this up as it's likely the last major PS3 release outside of Gran Tursimo 6, and certainly the last one I'll ever care about. The end of an era.

I'm in this for Willem Dafoe, not Ellen Page.

Games as art.

Rosa Gallica
Sep 13, 2011

I'm so torn on this game. On one hand, the graphics look great, playing as rear end in a top hat ghost Aiden in the demo was really fun, and Ellen Page is probably my favorite actress ever. On the other, Heavy Rain was basically a mismatched collection of scenes and concepts from other, better works stitched together into a lopsided Frankenstein's monster and seasoned generously with misogyny. I hope David Cage has learned a thing or two since then.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Rosa Gallica posted:

I hope David Cage has learned a thing or two since then.

I doubt it. I'm expecting this to be like pretty much every game he's had his hands on, with very little genuine player expression, a few novel mechanics that are ultimately shallow, and absolutely atrocious writing presented like a movie.

If it proves to be anything more than that I'll be impressed. After Heavy Rain the novelty of seeing how goofy things could get wore off. Even the involvement of some interesting actors isn't enough, since I wouldn't have a good time watching them in a bad film.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

I can read minds.

...just joking. I just have good intuitions.

I'm so hype for this. Are they still giving out those bonuses? I preordered it a few days ago and they didn't say anything about it to me...

Cyra
Nov 1, 2006

Shake it tails

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Even the involvement of some interesting actors isn't enough, since I wouldn't have a good time watching them in a bad film.
C'mon, even Boondock Saints wasn't able to make Willem Dafoe less entertaining, and pretty much any video game made was written better than that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I doubt it. I'm expecting this to be like pretty much every game he's had his hands on, with very little genuine player expression, a few novel mechanics that are ultimately shallow, and absolutely atrocious writing presented like a movie.

If it proves to be anything more than that I'll be impressed. After Heavy Rain the novelty of seeing how goofy things could get wore off. Even the involvement of some interesting actors isn't enough, since I wouldn't have a good time watching them in a bad film.

Yeah, a bunch of the dialogue I've heard sounds like David Cage dialogue; at this point I really wish he'd just take up the reign of Idea Man and leave the writing and directing to somebody else. I enjoy what they do with user interface and controls, and I like the sort of things he tries to do, but he's also a pretty bad writer and director and if he'd have the humility to pass those duties on to someone else, it'd make for a much better product. It covers a lot of the same ground as his previous stuff, and I don't know if it's because he's scared to branch out, or even worse if he's not willing to. I can only see a brunette woman dealing with supernatural forces taking a shower so many times before I realize that he's out of ideas.

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

Played the demo and I can't wait for the EU release, loved Heavy Rain and Ellen Paige is so . Thought GTA was going to be my last PS3 purchase but the last few months pre-PS4 is great for releases.

As for the gameplay, graphics look spot-on and the demo locations felt real from an immersion standpoint, voice acting seemed solid which should be a given with said the cast. And terrifying that woman in the early testing scene was the most satisfying thing I have dove all week

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

Flying the friendly skies in relative safet-oh god the engine fell off

curiousCat posted:

I'm so hype for this. Are they still giving out those bonuses? I preordered it a few days ago and they didn't say anything about it to me...

Once again the only retailer with major bonuses (according to Sony's website at least) is GameStop.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I haven't played Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit, but the Beyond demo was loving amazing and I'm definitely getting this when the price drops a bit. I just got a PS3 two weeks ago so might as well go get Heavy Rain while I wait for that.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

David Cage needs to stop hiring non-Americans to do American character dialogue.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Lowtax

AlmightyBob posted:

David Cage needs to stop hiring non-Americans to do American character dialogue.

Except Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe speak fantastic English?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

AlmightyBob posted:

Dude I love going to the lavomatic in the wasteland.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

hellfire blast~

if I can't hammer on X to JASON!!!! then I don't really think this game is worth it. Hopefully there will be good info on this front coming up.

Cyra
Nov 1, 2006

Shake it tails

ARACHNOTRON posted:

if I can't hammer on X to JASON!!!! then I don't really think this game is worth it. Hopefully there will be good info on this front coming up.
Shaun is also acceptable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAMbpxCAiWo

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

With this and The Evil Within, I am totally digging the idea of games presented in full 2.40 widescreen.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Azure_Horizon posted:

Except Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe speak fantastic English?

Go replay Heavy Rain and check out all the terrible fake American accents.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

I usually do all my preorders on Amazon but if Gamestop's the only one that'll have bonuses I guess I'll cave in and not get free release day delivery...

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

So this game is disc only? I thought that every new PS3 game was required to have a PSN version.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Trust us, we're highly trained medical professionals bears.

So David Cage is a strange, creepy, arrogant man and I'm looking forward to watching an LP or something to see if this gets as goofy as Heavy Rain.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

Heil Hitler House

Evil Eagle posted:

So this game is disc only? I thought that every new PS3 game was required to have a PSN version.

The demo was pretty short and came in at 4GB, so I'm guessing they don't want to start with 50GB downloadable titles until the PS4 comes out.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

There are some awesome but possibly spoilery screens coming out. David Cage is insane, I'll give him that.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

If it has a really dumb indigo prophecy type twist I'll totally check this out when it hits the bargain bin in 2 months.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

DrManiac posted:

If it has a really dumb indigo prophecy type twist I'll totally check this out when it hits the bargain bin in 2 months.

Based on two screens I've seen today I will be picking it up for sure when that happens.

JebanyPedal
Feb 17, 2011

Pan American nightmare
Ten thousand feet fun-fair
Convinced that I don't care
It's safe as houses I swear
I was just sitting musing
The virtues of cruising
When altitude dropping
My ears started popping
One more red nightmare

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, a bunch of the dialogue I've heard sounds like David Cage dialogue; at this point I really wish he'd just take up the reign of Idea Man and leave the writing and directing to somebody else. I enjoy what they do with user interface and controls, and I like the sort of things he tries to do, but he's also a pretty bad writer and director and if he'd have the humility to pass those duties on to someone else, it'd make for a much better product. It covers a lot of the same ground as his previous stuff, and I don't know if it's because he's scared to branch out, or even worse if he's not willing to. I can only see a brunette woman dealing with supernatural forces taking a shower so many times before I realize that he's out of ideas.

Nope, David Cage isn't David Cage without having his beloved players listen to confused Americans trying to read out English written by a fluent non-native speaker who still hasn't grasped how casual conversation works in anything but his own language.
Honestly, these games are stupid as gently caress, and that's their appeal. The fact that people hold Quantic Dreams up to some high narrative standard and the plot-pedestal of the gaming world is completely laughable, but they don't dilute my opinion of the game, because to be entirely fair, it seems like every developer seems to kind of realizes how stupid the "QTE's are the future of interactive storytelling" poo poo is and no one has really made any rip-off games in the same vein, unless you count Asura's Wrath.
So as long as no one is copy-catting this insane stupid bullshit, I'm going to keep enjoying it the same way I enjoy a Big Mac every now and then.

I wish someone would come around with a collective non-stupid bat and beat the poo poo out of all the gaming "journalists" who actually pretend these games are something with artistic value to them and point out, I don't know, Dear Esther, Pathologic, or Spec Ops: The Line as a better standard for mingling interactivity with story-telling, but those games didn't have ridiculous budgets and aren't fun to play in the most superficial sense so we're going to have to live with stupid crap like this for the next few decades until people realize that fun and intuitive game mechanics aren't always conducive to good storytelling, and can, in fact, detract from it (see Bioshock: Infinite, GTA IV, etc.).

I'm kinda fine with that though.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

If you want to see the pics I'm talking about well here ya go

Also these are probably both spoilers AND NWS at the same time

http://i.imgur.com/LRKoxfo.png

http://i.imgur.com/V0BhHtW.jpg

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Lowtax

AlmightyBob posted:

I'm not denying the awkwardness of HR's dialogue. I'm saying that we don't really have that issue here with fluent American English actors.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

AlmightyBob posted:

Ahm Nawman Jeidan.

I have this now, installing...

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

God Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain owned so goddamn hard. Cannot wait for Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

43 species of parrot?! Nipples for men?! SLUGS?! Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?! If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, 8 o'clock, day one!

Cyra posted:

C'mon, even Boondock Saints wasn't able to make Willem Dafoe less entertaining, and pretty much any video game made was written better than that.

Willem Dafoe played a literal videogame NPC in eXistenZ and it owned. I can't imagine him as an actual videogame character will be any less memorable.

«12 »