Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It is nice to see you improving at landings through the campaign.

:dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You know for all the poo poo the F-4 Phantom gets, it actually seemed pretty solid for what it was made to do. No guns was a bad choice, but one they learned from, and beyond that, it could get to a place fast, release missiles and then get out ahead of pursuit. Once the missiles caught up to the potential of the plane, it seems like the Phantom was damned powerful in the sky.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Gothsheep posted:

Once the missiles caught up to the potential of the plane, it seems like the Phantom was damned powerful in the sky.
Yeah, they did keep the same armament, as the later USAF Phantoms had, on the F-15: 4 AIM-9, 4 AIM-7, M61. It gets you covered really well for all occasions.

Veloxyll posted:

It is nice to see you improving at landings through the campaign.
I haven't even shown yet, what happens, when you hit the edge of the map.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Very true. I might rag on the Phantom for the unorthodox wisdom of having to rely on temperamental missiles at first, but it grew into a very capable aeroplane.

I think it's appropriate that we got to fly the Phantom anyway, seeing as Germany retired its last Phantoms a few months back. Did I say that before? If so, ignore me!

And I might be poking around things that Selenic Martian's going to cover later on, but am I correct in assuming the Radar Warning Receiver will just use the same search/launch tones for all SAMs in Strike Fighters 2? If not I'll be surprised and mildly impressed.

By the way, I believe the SA-2 "Guideline" was intended to harpoon NATO bombers, or at least that's what my hazy memory is telling me. Another interesting tidbit is the arms race between the SAMs and their targets. For example, after a certain point SA-2s were provided with a facility that allowed them to pre-"warm" the radar so that it was raring to go as soon as a target popped into view.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

There's only one pair of RWR tones, yes. However, the later RWR screens will ID the exact radar type with icons.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Well, perhaps I'm giving Third Wire too little credit, but at least they did that.

e:

I was simultaneously surprised and unsurprised by you landing so hard that you phased through the carrier deck. I always find myself wondering just how "solid" carriers in flight sims are.

Zero grinder
Sep 25, 2010
Fun Shoe

Soup Inspector posted:

Well, perhaps I'm giving Third Wire too little credit, but at least they did that.

e:

I was simultaneously surprised and unsurprised by you landing so hard that you phased through the carrier deck. I always find myself wondering just how "solid" carriers in flight sims are.

Apparently making landings on something static is easy, but getting a moving object to land on another moving object is bullshit difficult because the engine freaks out seems to be pretty common.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S05E05: 1968 (A Realistic Outcome)

Go there, shoot MiGs - got it!

The mission video

In which I swear, I wasn't hanging a Chekhov's gun in the first episode of the season

Just like in the action movies, he had only one day till retirement.

With the RoE on, the AI barely ever gets to use the AIM-7. For now.

:911:The roster:911:

The medal, earned through supreme asshattery. But you can get it without dying, too.

Now, since the F-8C run is done, let's pretend our Quincey McGraw, while not flying the Navy missions, was moonlighting with the USMC.

Armed recon in the rain. It's nice on the developer's part not to inform the player about the weather.

An air-to-ground mission is not that bad, all the loadout options considered.

The mission video

In which the Frescos are still dicks

Another common end to this campaign.

There's something I didn't use once in the entire flight. Can you see it?

And finally, the defeat screen.

Go ahead and compare the text to the text of the win screen in the previous update. I'll wait here.

The victory and the defeat pictures of this campaign actually resemble an attempt at artwork. The models are manually placed, the people are visible, the flags are... there. These pictures hail back to Wings Over Vietnam, which was also the last TW game to have some unique visual design in the menus. After that it's generic lists with swapped background screenshots all the way.

We're not done with Nam just yet. Merry Frescos, and may a low-flying Satan dump a juicy Walleye down your chimney.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 22, 2014

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

There's something I didn't use once in the entire flight. Can you see it?

That wouldn't happen to be the cannon, would it? Ironic, considering the Crusader's moniker, but it did allow for a salutary lesson in never underestimating the trusty gun, as you said in the video.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sub-Season 6A. Rolling Thunder - Bait and Switch (F-105D Thunderchief (66))

quote:

Dear Mum,

When I landed my previous plane, I crashed into a farmer's house, broke his glasses and ran over his favourite dog. As luck would have it, I looked just like the dog, so the farmer kept feeding me yummy sausages for a few weeks! Then the guys from my squadron picked me up, after spotting my abandoned plane from above, even though I discreetly covered it with a twig. The farmer thought, it was a milk tanker.
To encourage me to lose weight, they've decided to put me into something, that could both carry me, and give me "a workout of a lifetime".

Hugs and sloppy kisses,
Baldrick

Come 1966, all Thuds finally wear camo, and a few months later...

Gradually it gets more stuff to carry.

Who thought, that calling a jammer pod AN/AL-anything was a good idea? Especially with that shape.
Also, observe the AIM-9E (arrives in '67) and the lack of AIM-9D. Between AIM-9B and AIM-9L the Sidewinder development was split into two quite separate and incompatible branches, serving Navy and Air Force. We'll see more of them later.

I grabbed some maps and tried to find the fabled Thud Ridge. Thud Ridge is the nickname of the mountain area to the north-west of Hanoi, which let pilots reach their targets running a lower risk of getting perforated by SAMs. It wasn't entirely safe, but the alternative was approaching Hanoi in view of the most experienced SAM operators on the planet.
So, I took this height map of Thud Ridge, took the flat physical map of Vietnam, and arrived at this conclusion:

Which, by the way, has a much better contrast than the blob on the Wikipedia page.

Let's look at that area on the game map. Most of the time it's covered by NVAF squadron icons, so I went back to 1965.

Oh... there's no "ridge" to speak of, just an elevated bump on the map. And the map is downscaled, so flying over there has no real purpose, since you're in every SAM's range, before you even approach it.

Still, I want a course, that takes us through some mountains, and I shall have it.

The B-reel
I knew it! I'm surrounded by assholes!

In which YGBSM is the word of the day

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 22, 2014

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
That was pretty fun to watch, particularly since I've got a book that focuses specifically on the back-and-forth arms race between the F-105Ds and the SA-2 Guidelines. It's been quite a while since I last read it though, so I can't toss out any fun facts off the top of my head.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Satan would have been the most boss name :colbert:

...Great Satan, F-4III?

I do recall seeing a Strike Fighters 2 MiG video which claimed that the early F-4 radars had lovely... vertical sideview capability? Like, it couldn't see targets approaching from the sides. Know anything about that? Just how wide a cone does your radar toss anyhow?

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 26, 2013

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Pimpmust posted:

I do recall seeing a Strike Fighters 2 MiG video which claimed that the early F-4 radars had lovely... vertical sideview capability? Like, it couldn't see targets approaching from the sides. Know anything about that? Just how wide a cone does your radar toss anyhow?
I know, that the radar on the F-4J has a pretty ridiculous black spot, which I'll explain later, as it is modelled. Not sure about the earlier variants.
Those things can have all kinds of strange limits. I remember reading, that the ground mapping radar on F-15E can't scan the terrain directly ahead.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sub-Season 6B. Rolling Thunder - The Lord Baldrick (A-7A Corsair II, also featuring A-7C Corsair II)

quote:

Dear Mum,

The people, who captured me, were very kind, and helped me to diet for a year. I didn't like the diet that much, but they insisted, and I did lose all the weight I gained. Then the guys broke me out again, because they needed me to fly a plane, whose nickname "perfectly matched" my description. I'm really excited to meet it!

Hugs and sloppy kisses,
Baldrick

:japan:

One new addition to the arsenal seems interesting, so I'm grabbing that.

The B-reel #1

In which I might sound a tad bitter

The B-reel #2

In which we're taking all the flak

I'll start on Skyhawk in the new year.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Flying through that high density flak looked really awesome. I guess there is no way to increase the flak amount in the campaigns at least a bit?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Imagine what would happen if Strike Fighters 2 had been developed by competent people.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

All the flak shells. None of the hits.
Okay one of the hits.

Imagine how good this game would be if it told you how to use all these fancy toys.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Veloxyll posted:

Imagine how good this game would be if it told you how to use all these fancy toys.

Well some of them has to work properly too.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Nuramor posted:

I guess there is no way to increase the flak amount in the campaigns at least a bit?
I think, there is a general improvement mod for the Nam map/campaigns, and it could be a part of it.

The way the terrain engine works, adding anything is a pain. There are a few types of "slots" on the map, which get randomly filled (or not) by flak and SAM sites. Some slots get activated only starting with specific years.
The problem is, to add each potential gun position you must enter its coordinates. Or rather, you must set the global map coordinates for a new "target area" (or use an existing one), and then you must enter the coordinates for a new AAA/SAM slot relative to the TA's centre. Just like every warehouse, fuel tank and airbase are placed.
The kick-in-the-balls catch to doing that is, that there's no WYSIWYG editor. Every industrial complex, AAA emplacement, bridge and whatever must be created by typing numbers into notepad or any other plain text editor of choice. To test you go and boot a mission in the sim with your map, and look around.
Really, the people, who expand or make brand new maps working with those "tools", are heroes.

Oh, and if you're making a new plane, tank or other 3d object for the game, you can't use just anything. It's 3DS Max 2009 32-bit, or nothing.

Zero grinder
Sep 25, 2010
Fun Shoe
The B-reel got me wondering: is radar directed AAA even modeled in this game? And im not just talking about platforms that had a seperate fire director radar, but with integrated ones like the shilka?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Zero grinder posted:

The B-reel got me wondering: is radar directed AAA even modeled in this game? And im not just talking about platforms that had a seperate fire director radar, but with integrated ones like the shilka?
There's Shilka, which does use a radar. It will make an appearance later.
Also, some modder did find a way to create radar-directed flak batteries, which look like standard SAM sites, but with the launchers craftily swapped out for guns. It does work, and the accuracy is reportedly improved. The engine can do it, but TW won't.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
with all this talk of how incompetent the developer is, are there any games similar that are well put together?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Not that I know of with such a roster, but there are WW2 games like IL-2 Sturmovik 1946, and single plane games like the DCS series which causes you to spend up to half an hour just pushing buttons trying to get your plane going. This is really about it when you want a simpler simulation with lots of planes.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Reminder that after 10 years they still haven't come out with any official way to play with MiGs, even though modders have long since made poo poo like the Flagon flyable :psyduck:

(It's not even a MiG)

What would you expect to see first in a Cold War Jets game, some Soviet jets or... the Mustang?

You'd think it would be an obvious DLC, what with their nickle-and-dime tactics, and they even got the planes done too except for possibly the cockpits (which once again, modders have made too...) :iiam:

In fact, pretty sure modders have put together more planes and possibly HUDs than the developer has.

Unrelated, but can you attack/sink your own carrier? Or is there no damage model for the carriers?

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
Lock On: Modern Air Combat, made by the same developers as the DCS series, is about the closest you'll ever get to an SF2-style simulator that even approaches the roster that SF2 has, but the oldest plane it contains is the F-15 (essentially starting out where SF2 finishes in terms of era). The latest version, Flaming Cliffs 3, runs in the same engine as DCS and so has a lot of the advantages of things like ridiculously deadly Shilkas and accurately-modeled Patriot SAM systems but without having to click a million buttons to start the plane. Unfortunately due to Ubisoft being goatfuckers as usual you have to have a copy of LOMAC installed to be able to install Flaming Cliffs 3, and it can't be used with the Steam version of DCS World. That being said if you can get everything installed, FC3 is a lot of fun and even the simplistic flight and systems modelling of the FC3 planes feels better than what (vanilla) SF2 has to offer.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Pimpmust posted:

Unrelated, but can you attack/sink your own carrier? Or is there no damage model for the carriers?
Carriers in SF2 Vietnam are unsinkable. Carriers in SF2 North Atlantic can be sunk.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Season 6. Rolling Thunder - A Classic Vespa (A-4B)

We go back to the grim days of narrow rear aspect missiles and unguided bombs, but we miss out on 1965, because the A-4B is late to the party.

Our pilot is Wilbur "A Great Santini" Meechum, because The Great Santini was flying an F-4, and, most importantly, because "The Great Santini" is a letter too long for the game's callsign field. The Great Santini was also the murderer in one of the classic episodes of Columbo.

S06E01: 1966 (Turning With the Best)

Another day, another warehouse. They should, probably, stop storing their warez in the open :downs:

The loadout screen offers many fun opportunities, although most of them are not immediately obvious.

The roster includes a possible relative of our Crusader pilot. Also, nobody trusts Ed.

The mission video

In which we reach the heights of accuracy

Still had a quarter of ammo to spare :smug:
The two hits with bombs? The first one did not hit anything, but the second one somehow got credited with hitting a warehouse twice.

After watching, can anyone come up with a sane explanation, how the damage sustained by the MiG could've been caused by one hit?

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 22, 2014

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Well, I'll give it a shot.

I believe that it's not unheard of for aircraft ammunition to only have tracers for every [x]th shell; so when you were firing what appeared to be only one round there was possibly several others accompanying it. Therefore, though we saw the tracer hit the wing and take it off, the other shells hit the jet pipe and ignited it.

So that's that mystery solved hopefully?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

After watching, can anyone come up with a sane explanation, how the damage sustained by the MiG could've been caused by one hit?
I think the fact that the wings were being strained during the turn meant that a single lucky hit managed to either weaken it enough to break off, or simply ignite the fuel so that the explosion tore off the section?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Soup Inspector posted:

So that's that mystery solved hopefully?
SF2 does allow the developers to set how often a tracer flies out for each specific gun.
However, there's only 1 hit recorded in the statistics screen. Just like there was only one enemy hit logged, when my F-8E lost the rudder and a wing.

I'm considering magic bullet theories.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
Tracers are almost never fired in all-tracer belts.

I've read somewhere that during world war II pilots would aim using the tracers, but they found that because the ballistics are subtly different from the regular rounds only the tracers would actually hit. Some squadrons stopped using tracers in their ammunition belts and recorded a much better hit rate.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Round enters engine, detonates, and departing turbine blades and igniting fuel do the rest. None of these planes are armored, or anything.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S06E02: 1967 (An Even Wilder Weasel)

What to pick for air defence suppression? Bombs are neat, but I'll have too many targets. Rockets?
And what to wear for a trip Downtown?

The mission video

In which my landings stay educational

A good hunt, marred by one casualty (Lindland is MIA).
Wait, what? Ed, what are you trying to pull?! Nobody is going to believe that rocket accuracy :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That giant "frag trench" weaonf or low planes sounds amazing. Honestly I'd almost think you were making it up, it is not too far removed from some of the crazy poo poo in fictional stuff like Area 88.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
It does indeed sound rather metal. :black101: This is the first time I've ever heard of it too - who says LPs never teach you anything?

Meanwhile, it looks like Lindland might be enjoying a stay in the "Hanoi Hilton".

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S06E03: 1968 (Wind Up)

The AIM-9G is, once again, on the menu. That leaves the centre hardpoint free for something big.

The mission video

In which the AI finds new ways to underwhelm

Still, Ed "Four" Swindle remains the most interesting man in the squadron.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
How the heck did you get two hits with your Sidewinders? Are they counting the ground a valid target now?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

VKing posted:

How the heck did you get two hits with your Sidewinders? Are they counting the ground a valid target now?
I didn't read/screenshot the part the log from the first minutes of the mission. Rewatching the footage, the only thing I can come up with is, that the missile directly hit the airfield. Some relevant part of it. That dirt path, maybe.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Im really liking this LP. So far th Vietnam period has been a favorite of mine and Im awaiting for the future updates, its just sad to see this thread get buried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Thanks!
The new update is less than 12 hrs. away.

• Locked thread