Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hey Selenic, you got Rise of Flight? If not, would you like a copy of Rise of Flight: Channel Battles Edition? I got a leftover code for RoF:CBE from the recent bundle and I thought it'd be a good way of saying "thanks for the awesome let's play".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hey Selenic, you got Rise of Flight? If not, would you like a copy of Rise of Flight: Channel Battles Edition? I got a leftover code for RoF:CBE from the recent bundle and I thought it'd be a good way of saying "thanks for the awesome let's play".

Hell, an LP of RoF would be pretty sweet after this.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If I know anything about video editing, I'd probably do one myself. I've been streaming it lately.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Oh, I've played RoF ages ago. The FM was nice and the damage was sweet. The whole shop, online-heavy design and the empty-ish world put me off it though. I mean, back when I played it no flak spawned outside the target area, and the enemy flights would not spawn at all, if you flew too high over the waypoint that's supposed to trigger them.

Sorry for the delay, I've had some poo poo to do this week. I think, I'll get a new update up before the weekend.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So no then? No problem, just thought I'd offer. And yeah, its better now, probably. That said, most of us in the Rise of Flight Thread play using Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator, which creates a much busier and "alive" world. Its similar to Strike Fighters 2, actually, it spawns everything (I think) at the start of the mission and each flight is running its own mission/flight plan and if people run into eachother, well, fights happen.
Yeah, the DLC crap is kind of stupid, thankfully its on steam now and I picked up pretty much everything really cheap.

Oh, and don't worry about the delay 5 days is not a delay. :v:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S11E02: 1973.10.08-12 (Miscellaneous)

A run of the mill CAS flight. I won't bother with a video of this one, nothing of interest happened, except...
I summoned a help flight, and got 8 Mirages, which brings me to the subject of historical aces in campaigns.

That's 1-1 to 1-4. We got four out of Israel's top seven aces, and the deadliest of them all, Major Epstein, is flying as 1-4.
The other four spawned Mirages had no kills at all.

Anyway, stuff was killed on the ground, enemy stopped

1973.10.08 Don't start this again, Israel. :argh:

Let's go bomb stuff in the mountains.

The mission video

In which I have a bad miss

I'm not sure, you can lose a rank, if you keep going into negatives. Never seen that.

CAS! Fantastic, I haven't had any CAS since last morning!

The gently caress-this-game video

In which a deadly enemy strikes

I skipped the previous mission and a few others, because either the front line was static, or Israel was attacking, and I'm not risking ending this war too early.

Can't these tanks do anything without support? Wait, last time we had Shermans vs. T-55, we'd better check up on them.

The mission video

In which we scratch their back

The method proved efficient, but I don't have the nerve to use it all the time. Also, this got our hero promoted to Lieutenant.

The front line finally gives in. Let's reinforce it, before it gets completely broken.

The mission video

In which I leave only the best part

The best kind of kill.

Armed Recon? I don't care where, I'll take it.

The outtake video

The mission video

In which we mostly evade stuff

It feels better, when you don't get shot down. By the way, both of our casualties so far are KIA.

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
Would it work to extend your landing gear and drive right up to a tank and shoot it? You might die hitting the wreckage but it would be pretty awesome to see.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

All weapons switch off either when you gear is down, or when you're rolling. I don't remember which, but in any case on-wheels gunnery doesn't work.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SelenicMartian posted:

All weapons switch off either when you gear is down, or when you're rolling. I don't remember which, but in any case on-wheels gunnery doesn't work.

Dont care, cover it in guns anyway.

It's not even ol' 666, it's a b-25 field-rigged with like 8 extra .50's before they even started making that stuff factory spec. The b-25 has always been interesting to me because of it's multi-role versatility.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Shouldn't the IDF be using Centurion tanks by now? Those Shermans are freaking ancient.

Also, I have some questions about your... um... bombing. When attacking a single target like that building, why do you set your ripple interval so high? And why not pop up so as to come down from a steeper angle? You'd greatly increase your chances of a hit.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The Casualty posted:

When attacking a single target like that building, why do you set your ripple interval so high?
All I need is one hit or even a near hit, so I set them up to cover the largest area possible. This has... side effects.
And I'm not too keen on popping up yet due to the issue shown in the outtake video.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
A well executed pop-up attack shouldn't leave you exposed long enough for the Kubs to get a missile off before you're diving on the target, at which point they crash into the ground (yeah they had failsafes against this, think of it as the host radar losing tracking or something). It's of course still dangerous but it might be worth a try, even if just to show why it's a bad idea in a bonus video :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

SelenicMartian posted:

All I need is one hit or even a near hit, so I set them up to cover the largest area possible. This has... side effects.
And I'm not too keen on popping up yet due to the issue shown in the outtake video.

The largest area possible in a local village. At least you weren't using napalm. :supaburn:

I should've realized Third Wire had a WW1 Flight sim, and that it was hilariously bad. And I agree, third party mods and utilities are really great for the historical simulation games that have em. Grey Wolves Expansion for Silent Hunter 3 is amazing (though I've heard of a new one recently) and so far Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator has been miles ahead of 777s own career mode for Rise of Flight.

Are we ever gonna get another diverse cold war era flight sim? I don't even need (or probably want) DCS level clickable cockpits and stuff, especially since that means fewer aircraft get focused on (though admittedly they do get done REALLY well). I just want Tigers, and Fishbeds, and Phantoms (oh my!)

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
That reminds me, what does the fan patch of Enemy Engaged do to improve the game? I really enjoyed playing it but I agree that the dynamic campaign gets a bit stale, especially since the AI is so sleepy that it's only your missions which seem to have any impact on the war effort.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The Casualty posted:

That reminds me, what does the fan patch of Enemy Engaged do to improve the game?
It adds ballistics to gun projectiles, adds single-sweep radar scan, a flyable Hind complete with a cockpit (and a few other cockpits as well), and stuff like PFZ if you weren't killing things efficiently enough. Access to the source and a competent coder did magic to it.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

It adds ballistics to gun projectiles, adds single-sweep radar scan, a flyable Hind complete with a cockpit (and a few other cockpits as well), and stuff like PFZ if you weren't killing things efficiently enough. Access to the source and a competent coder did magic to it.
They've even added a fully-modelled and flyable OH-58D Kiowa/Warrior in the latest version.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The largest area possible in a local village. At least you weren't using napalm. :supaburn:

Well, at least this way we're going to hit something, right?

quote:

Are we ever gonna get another diverse cold war era flight sim? I don't even need (or probably want) DCS level clickable cockpits and stuff, especially since that means fewer aircraft get focused on (though admittedly they do get done REALLY well). I just want Tigers, and Fishbeds, and Phantoms (oh my!)

I'd go for such a flight sim in a heartbeat; the Cold War era is ridiculously underrepresented as is.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I always wanted an Ace Combat game with 1st and 2nd-gen jet fighters. The series is fun as is, but the oldest aircraft across the entire series is probably the F-4. I guess the closest we will ever get to that is probably War Thunder.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S11E03: 1973.10.13-16 (The Many Ways To Fail) or (The Ace Summoner)

Once again I skip a few missions here and there. I don't fly, when there is no front line movement, and when Israel is on the offensive.

But I don't wanna go to loving Suez again!

The mission video

In which bombing is no longer relevant

I'm certain, the only target I can't easily take out this way are the airbase ammo bunkers, which are small and have lots of HP.

Armed recon? Is there anything new you can offer?

Well, that's new. We get a shipment of almost all the fancy missiles we've been lacking so far.

The mission video

In which I'd love some backstory

The Sidewinder is back in business.

The same day, the same-ish area, a different battle for us to ruin.

The mission video

In which I bury a wingman prematurely

Yeah, he wasn't killed. A pilot on our next recorded mission got KIA, though.

After spraying the entire tank unit with bomblets I somehow scored a kill. Unbelievable.

SEAD on a non-upgraded Skyhawk. I also forgot to take the jammer.

The mission video

In which it's that time again

The time when everybody does bugger all :argh:

The Syrian front has been mostly slow and quiet so far. Now they attack under the cover of weather and terrain.

The mission video

In which... just watch

On the one hand, they all are idiots. On the other hand, at least today they tried.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
There are indeed unguided rockets with submunitions warheads that aircrafts can be equipped with: you have your "standard" multi-purpose submunitions, your anti-air/personnel flechette dispensers and cluster flares/WP warheads.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 25, 2014

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S11E04: 1973.10.17-20 (Testing the Ejection Seat)

I ran a couple of support missions off-screen, as there was nothing surprising, except that Syria was still using Frescos for CAS. For deploying the AIM-9H against the Frescos our hero got promoted to Captain. He's also at 11 kills now.

Port Said is surrounded, Egypt is rolling across the Negev desert, and I'm heading in the opposite direction.

The mission video

In which I keep bitching about the graphics

That's more like it. We're going to stop those tanks dead in their tracks.

The mission video

In which there is much fail

3 KIA, and this time I'm certain about it.
So, what mission do I get on the same day, after walking all the way back to the base?

I beg your pardon?

Runway strike... I remember doing something like that earlier.

The mission video

In which the Walleye displays striking accuracy

Two successful ejections in one day, although the second one left me wounded.

Hey, it's that one mission type we haven't seen yet!

The mission video

In which we learn more about the SF2 ships

That was enough for a medal

But most importantly

:toot:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Runways are another target unsuitable for rockets.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I thought you would have learned by now that the Skyhawk flies like a pig with that many cannon pods :v:

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

The Casualty posted:

I thought you would have learned by now that the Skyhawk flies like a pig with that many cannon pods :v:

Correction: like a Phantom. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Soup Inspector posted:

Correction: like a Phantom. :colbert:

All the brick, none of the thrust. :v:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Galaga Galaxian posted:

All the brick, none of the thrust. :v:

I knew it reminded me of something

"Just gonna pull this sucker up and over and... Wait, I've been stalled for days now."

or

"Whaddya mean the holes at the front aren't guns? How the hell an I supposed to take down MIR? Degradation of orbit my rear end."

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 27, 2014

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S11E05: 1973.10.21 (The Hunchback of Negev)

Previously, we got our Maverick upgrade.
Our Flying Dragon Squadron received it on the last day of the war, two missions away from the scripted ending. :argh:

Today I keep saying, that the M113s have the Vulcan on them, while the Egyptian ones actually carry the 23mm Soviet gun.

The blue unit at Port Said goes to war.

The mission video

In which some days you just can't get rid of the wingman

In case you're wondering, where 1-3 had vanished, the log tells me, he crashed early in the mission and went MIA.

And the for final mission...

SEAD! if you watch the video carefully, you'll see that we clear the defences, while no strike takes place in the target area. In other words, we're sent to waste time.

The mission video

In which we say goodbye to Suez

No losses, surprisingly enough. Which leaves our roster at...

...being half-dead.

Indeed, Egypt starts to drift away from the Soviet sphere of influence, and later on even buys some of the more modern Western weapons.
This leads to much hilarity, as this game does not support the shift of allegiances, so if you generate a single mission in Israel in the early 80s, you might get jumped by the Egyptian Phantoms, with Sparrows and poo poo...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Bonus 2: Balloons, Biplanes, Bridges

April First Eagles Day!

Once upon a time, Third Wire made a World War I sim called First Eagles. I already mentioned, that the initial release was kind of broken, but there were patches, and one expansion pack, and one re-release on the early SF2 engine, and patches for that. Let's take a peek at First Eagles 2.

First, the maps... (taken in single mission mode, without all the squadrons)

Verdun

My eyes! It gets worse, when every unit's flag is there.

Cambrai

Just kidding. There are no operating areas in FE.

Let's get on with the videos..

Dogfights!

Tanks!

Great Balls of Fire!

All of my brave exploits in this video got me a medal.

By the way, unlike SF2, FE2 retained type-specific loading screens

Big Fat Bastards!

Here's another medal. Ace Pilot is the default player name in FE2.

That's it. You've seen about 70% of the game in those four videos. However, as there haven't been any mod-breaking patches for years, most of the planes and campaigns uploaded at CombatAce work quite well.

For a historical perspective on flying in the dark ages I recommend "The Aeroplane Speaks", published in 1917. It's a popular science book on flight written by H. Barber. According to wiki, he's "the first person in Great Britain to gain an aeronautical degree", he also "flew the first cargo flight in Britain", and authored "the first aircraft insurance policy", and later "was in charge of all flying training in England". The man knew his poo poo well, so he wrote an educational acid trip into aerodynamics.
A good public domain scan with the necessary pictures is at this archive.org page.

An introspective look at combat flying is provided by Rittermeister Manfred von Richthofen himself in his book Der Rote Kampfflieger.
If you, for some reason, want the English edition, there is one online.

Finally, if you're hungry for some WW1 flying for free, and Rise of Flight is too much of a strain, try FS-WW1, a standalone conversion of Fighter Squadron: The Screamin' Demons over Europe. The feature list includes floatplanes, a flyable 4-engine Ilya Muromets bomber, handguns, and a nice damage model. The graphics engine is derelict, though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
"What the hell am I doing? There aren't any bridges here!"

He says being chased by five dudes.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

:siren: VOTING POINT #5 :siren:
For the 1979 Red Lightning campaign

This campaign can gently caress right off.
It introduces:
- a new Soviet heat-seeking missile;
- a Soviet SARH missile, which also comes in a heat-seeking variant;
- multiple variants of a new type of Soviet fighter, which can rip you apart, if you're out of missiles;
- a new short-range mobile Soviet SAM system, which likes to cover tanks, and has a 90% chance of killing the first plane to enter its range, if that plane evades and uses countermeasures.

The brief summary of options is provided in the supplied informational video.
Note, that I mention the types of countermeasures available for each type. They get no upgrades, since this war is fictional and TW likes to keep their variants historical.

The winner will get a 5(ish)-episode season, while the losers will get one episode each.

You're choosing a plane to fight an Evil Soviet invasion!

:siren: In this vote 3 options win, and you need to vote for 3 different ones in your vote post.

Vote in BOLD: F-4M, Lightning F.6, F-15A, Mirage 5BA, A-10A, Harrier GR.3 or F-4F.

I'll leave it open for about 48 hours.

RESULTS
pre:
F-4M          =
Lightning F.6 =
F-15A         ====================
Mirage 5BA    ==
A-10A         ====================
Harrier GR.3  =================
F-4F          ==
Everyone loves the new toys. Ok, the plan is:
The F-15, then the Lightning and the F-4M shorts, then the A-10, then the F-4F and the Mirage shorts, and then we die on a Harrier.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 4, 2014

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
There can be nothing but A-10.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

1.F-15 Eagle
2.A-10 Warthog Thunderbolt 2
3.Harrier Gr. 3
4.P-38 Lightning
5.F-35 Lightning 2

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 2, 2014

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Vote for three options, not just one!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
F-15, A-10, and Harrier GR.3. I'm voting for nice things, nice toys and some spice, respectively.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 2, 2014

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Also Harrier and F-15, because we've had enough F-4s and delta-wings to last forever.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So what's the enemy going to field in this campaign? I can't wait to see subsonic jets vs Mig 23s and Mig 25s.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
F-15A, A-10A, and cause we can't let you start thinking we like you, Lightning F.6

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Dusseldorf posted:

So what's the enemy going to field in this campaign? I can't wait to see subsonic jets vs Mig 23s and Mig 25s.
No 25s in this sim, but it's not a big loss as I'll explain in the videos.

Strabo
Feb 25, 2011
Let's see the new poo poo:
F-15A, A-10A, Harrier GR.3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
No surprise here:

1:F-15A
2:A-10A
3:Harrier GR.3