Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Looks like I'm voting for the underdog here, but I say you continue the tradition of flying what was your main rival in the previous campaign and load up a Mystère IV A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SSJ Reeko posted:

Mystère IV A

4 30mm cannons sounds fantastic, especially if it has enhanced accuracy.

Its the British Hunter that has four 30mms and a Radar Gunsight. The Mystère only has two 30mms and traditional gunsight.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
Hunter F.4

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Hunter F.4

Charlie72
Apr 21, 2010
Mystère IV A

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SSJ Reeko posted:

Mystère IV A

4 30mm cannons sounds fantastic, especially if it has enhanced accuracy.
So, it is Mystere for the name, or Hunter for the big guns?

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
Mystere IVA.

I sunk a bunch of time into SF:P1. Never knew about SF2. I'm really liking your LP so far. You show off the game really well.

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
I'd love to see the Hunter F.4 for some more overkill myself. Four cannons, good maneuverability and radar assisted aim? You're going to be a triple ace by the third mission!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Hunter F.4

NautaLihas
May 1, 2013
Hunter F.4

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Super Sabre all the way.

Zero grinder
Sep 25, 2010
Fun Shoe
Super Sabre definitely. Supersonic in level fight bitches. (You didn't mention it but does the hunter F.4 have an AB?)

Zero grinder fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 2, 2013

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Zero grinder posted:

You didn't mention it but does the hunter F.4 have an AB?
No, it's too polite, so it always emits its gases normally.

Admiral Nelson
Dec 26, 2012
Hunter F.4 -- One of the most beautiful planes ever to fly...

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
poo poo, I misheard you in the video. I thought the Mystere was the british plane. I'll change my vote to Hunter F-4

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Super Sabre for me

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The Hunter F.4 because :britain:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I have a feeling we'll be seeing plenty of American planes later on, and I'm kinda tired of seeing the Mystere, so I say Hunter F.4

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'd like to see how the Mystère handles from the inside.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Lets keep up the tradition of flying the plane we just fought against for one last set of updates!

Mystère IV A

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I'll throw in yet another vote for the Hawker Hunter F.4. It's one of those timeless designs (at least compared to the gormless anteater look of the F-100 and the faintly MiGesque stylings of the Mystère), and in most flight sims we see very little of British designs. As well, I read Empire of the Clouds recently (a good book about the British post-war aviation industry if anyone is curious) and I want to see craft like the Hunter in their best light rather than being mishandled by bungling aircraft manufacturers.

Rule Britannia! :britain:

I will also be incredibly disappointed if we don't get to see at least a brief snapshot of the aircraft we decided to forego in the voting at the end of the LP - for all the cracks I make against the Super Sabre, it's one of those aeroplanes that's greatly overlooked (and so is the Mystère, come to think of it).

Edit:

Aaaaaand it turns out that's what you're doing anyway. Note to self: don't write posts before watching all the videos.

Soup Inspector fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 3, 2013

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Soup Inspector posted:

I will also be incredibly disappointed if we don't get to see at least a brief snapshot of the aircraft we decided to forego in the voting at the end of the LP - for all the cracks I make against the Super Sabre, it's one of those aeroplanes that's greatly overlooked (and so is the Mystère, come to think of it).

He said in the video that he'd be doing 1 video for the losers and 5 videos for the winner.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Yeah, my bad.

As I said in my edit, that's what I get for being so excited to vote that I jump the gun and only watch the voting video after making the post. :blush:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

F-100, because everyone should experience the misery.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm amazed how difficult it is to actually see the fuel gauge. You'd think that would be kind of important, with something that uses up fuel as quickly as a fighter plane.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Glazius posted:

I'm amazed how difficult it is to actually see the fuel gauge. You'd think that would be kind of important, with something that uses up fuel as quickly as a fighter plane.
Oh, that a minor issue. F-16 has the radar screen between the pilot's legs :bang:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Super Sabre!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

RESULTS
pre:
Mystère ======
F-100   =======
Hunter  ============
The crowd chose the Hunter, partially because they like big guns, but mostly because it's so sexy.

This means, I'll be a tease, and show the Mystère and the F-100A first, assisted by the most fitting test pilot imaginable.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

SelenicMartian posted:

assisted by the most fitting test pilot imaginable.

This guy? :haw:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

RESULTS
pre:
Mystère ======
F-100   =======
Hunter  ============
The crowd chose the Hunter, partially because they like big guns, but mostly because it's so sexy.

This means, I'll be a tease, and show the Mystère and the F-100A first, assisted by the most fitting test pilot imaginable.

The Stig's 1950s aviator cousin?

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Gothsheep posted:

The Stig's 1950s aviator cousin?

Some say... his joints are actually gyroscopes, and his cousin is a Supermarine Spitfire. And that his blood is really aviation turbine fuel.

All we know is, he's called the Flying Stig!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Soup Inspector posted:

Some say... his joints are actually gyroscopes, and his cousin is a Supermarine Spitfire. And that his blood is really aviation turbine fuel.

All we know is, he's called the Flying Stig!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Shouldn't that be The Stig's pilot cousin?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cooked Auto posted:

Shouldn't that be The Stig's pilot cousin?

I was thinking more along the lines of The Stig's uncle, and the videos are explained away as Old Unca Stig passing down his tales to the many other Stigs.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Fair point, let me try again.

Some say... he secretly broke the sound barrier... in a vertical climb. And that he has been in squadron service from the days of the Royal Flying Corps.

All we know is... he's not the Stig. But he is the Stig's Flying Uncle!

Soup Inspector fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 3, 2013

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of The Stig's uncle, and the videos are explained away as Old Unca Stig passing down his tales to the many other Stigs.

Now that must've been a really weird thing to see.

"..."
"..."

Soup Inspector posted:

Fair point, let me try again.

Some say... he secretly broke the sound barrier... in a vertical climb. And that he has been in squadron service from the days of the Royal Flying Corps.

All we know is... he's not the Stig. But he is the Stig's Flying Uncle!
:golfclap:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sub-Season 3A. Red Tide - Fetchez la Vache! (Mystère IV A)

quote:

Dear Mum,

They put me into a skw scu with some flying people to fly the airplains that go "wooosh", but which not many people want to see. Our commander says, that those planes and I are a match made in heaven, and that he hopes, that we stay there. He is a very nice man!
Our base keeps moving through time and space, so we see many different things in all sorts of places. I decided to start a scrapbook, and film the things I fly with my dij new camera. But a man from our ground cru people (who also straps me into the plane seat and gives me tips on the radio) says, he will speak over my recordings, because there is nothing but my wee"wheeeee!" there anyway, even though I don't drink that much water before flying any more.
So, mum, today (whenever that is) I explore a mysterious French plane! I hope, there are no gremlins in it.

Hugs and sloppy kisses,
Baldrick

Right. The planes, that lose the votes, get one update showing them off in full campaign environment. If we can put all they have to demonstrate in one video, there will be one video. If not (like mutually exclusive weapons), then there will be more.

Let's start the B-reel

In which there is talk about weapon sales

Mystère brings up some new air-to-ground loadout options we won't see in the video. There's no point, since, regardless of choices, by 1982 everyone will be sick of those exact rocket pods and bombs.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 22, 2014

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Man, I thought that Mystere was supposed to be more or less on par with the Meteor, but it just completely blows it away as an air-to-air fighter.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Meteor saw service late in World War II (First flight in mid 1943), meanwhile the Mystère is almost 10 years younger than it (first flight in mid/late 1952).

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Indeed. It's still faintly alarming just how much it shows up our stodgy old Meteor. I won't be surprised, though, if the F-100 beats the Meteor hands down in performance (if not in aesthetics).

Looking at the video, are there any missions where we'll need to punch through the cloud layer (i.e. high altitude interceptions) or are we going to remain at medium/low level the entire campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
SelenicMartian, would you mind sharing your control setup if that's not too much to ask?

• Locked thread