Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did you really mean to do that fight with the throttle firewalled the whole time? You're hunting ground attack jets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I noticed the handling improved and rolled with it. Lightnings are the only planes in SF2 likely to lose their engines to overheat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are my eyes deceiving me or did you actually accelerate pulling the stick all the way back at Mach 1.05?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really like the geometry in these missions. The buildings and everything look a lot better than they did in the earlier campaigns.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Bonus 4: Generation One

For completion's sake let's take a look at a couple of planes that didn't make it through the upgrade. For that I'll just boot up the shabby old Wings over Vietnam, and...

:stonk: Is... Is that graphics design? An actual background that is not blurred screenshots? A multiplayer option?

The hangar interface pretends to be a blackboard?

USN and USAF have different backgrounds?
What else is there?

The proper name for the air defence hunt.

The roster is a blackboard with newspaper clippings around it :allears:

The briefing map is set up in the projection room

What? The briefing text actually informs me about visibility?

Yeah! Can't have a flight sim without the shades. Let's take a bomber for an airing

The old times video

In which our plane might as well be a Cessna

What's in that cardboard box, I wonder. I also wonder how could the three guys at Third Wire draw it all.

There used to be more of them. And TK wasn't an art designer.
But wait! There's more!

Hey, beta testers. Haven't seen that line in a long time. Most of them are modders.

Let's go to Wings over Europe, then. The first game to use the music Third Wire has plugged into every jet release ever since.

Right, this is more like the current backgrounds. The menu itself is pretty sweet, though.

Don't tease me, game. I know, the target photos are just ornaments.

Huh, the Harrier has a funny perspective. Is the pilot dropped into the seat by a crane?

No shades, and we're hovering again.

The old times video

In which we remember the AIM-9B

I see some losses. What about the second page?

"Kout for the interface art." Is that a thanks section with no "thanks"?
Kout is a deity of interface modders, who probably knows the Third Wire's menu scripts better than the developers.

After this I went back to SF2NA to idle and see, if the credits list there has a second page.
It doesn't.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If I remember right, the F-104 also has the distinction of being the first production fighter to mount the M61 Vulcan. I'm also a bit disappointed that you didn't go into the Starfighter's checkered history and its variety of colorful nicknames such as "Lawn Dart", "Widowmaker", "Death Tube", and what not. :v:

Also, IIRC the Italians(?) made a variant of the F-104 that could mount the AIM-4 Sparrow by removing the vulcan and using the space to upgrade the avionics and radar.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, IIRC the Italians(?) made a variant of the F-104 that could mount the AIM-4 Sparrow by removing the vulcan and using the space to upgrade the avionics and radar.
Yup, the variant was the F-104S, which we also sold to the Turkish air forces.
Here's the (english) wikipedia article.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

An F-104 carrying only two early radar missiles seems like the most useless fighter imaginable.

Also Selenic Martian is it normal procedure to do carrier landings with airbrakes and no flaps?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Arglebargle III posted:

An F-104 carrying only two early radar missiles seems like the most useless fighter imaginable.

I dunno. The 104 was meant to be a high speed interceptor, so two long-range bomber popping missiles does sound more useful than a short ranged cannon, especially since the 104's permormance at subsonic speeds is lacking.

Sounds good on paper, anyways.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

Arglebargle III posted:

Also Selenic Martian is it normal procedure to do carrier landings with airbrakes and no flaps?

Depends on the plane but generally no. Flaps help you keep the aircraft under control as you stall it onto the deck, since they increase the effective lift area. That said there are probably procedures for landing an aircraft on a carrier in just about every conceivable configuration, since you never really know what condition the aircraft is going to be in when you bring it back.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Season 19. The Lebanon War - A Viper's Bite (F-16A)

Same intro as the last time, but now we'll join the Knights of the North squadron, because I assume they are in the north and don't have to trek across Israel to get to the action.

S19E01: 1982.06.06 (Overstocked)

Morning

Hava nagila! We're so close, if we ever get sent on SEAD I'll probably start firing ARMs right after the take-off.

Unfortunately, Hava Nagila does not play in SF2:Israel, when you succeed in a mission :colbert:

They'd better give me a good reason not to use the Mavericks, because we're literally sitting on hundreds of them.

The unit comes with a pre-fab ace, Amir Nahumi. He got his 7 kills on the Phantom during the Yom Kippur War. First feat: taking off with the wingman against the issued orders seconds before the runway got wasted by the initial bombing raids. :black101:

The mission video

In which a new pattern is emerging

I thought getting medals in the IDF is hard, yet...

Afternoon

I really missed killing tanks.

The mission video

In which I still have trouble scoring

AGM is for Absolute Ground Massacre.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Alright F-16 Time, which means its IRON EAGLE TIME. :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZwsCIfo9n8

What a great/cheesy movie (featuring lots of aircraft on loan from the Israeli air force, including Kfirs standing in as "MiGs", just like the F-5 "MiG-28s" in Top Gun). :allears:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 12, 2014

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Alright F-16 Time, which means its IRON EAGLE TIME. :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZwsCIfo9n8

What a great/cheesy movie (featuring lots of aircraft on loan from the Israeli air force, including Kfirs standing in as "MiGs", just like the F-5 "MiG-28s" in Top Gun). :allears:

Fun fact: All of the aircraft in Iron Eagle were provided by the IDF/AF because the USAF will not cooperate on films whose plots involve stealing USAF aircraft.

EDIT: Wikipedia article on Amir Nahumi, he ended up retiring in 1996 as a Brigadier General: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amir_Nahumi

He also fought in the Six Day War as a tanker, having failed in his first attempt to join the IAF.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 12, 2014

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S19E02: 1982.06.07 (NovaLogic-style)

Just skip to the second video.

Morning

Enough mud-moving. Let's shoot down some planes finally.

The mission video

In which there is a massive clusterfuck

Going by the kill/hit ratio even the colonel has problems with this many Blue fighters around.

Afternoon

We haven't seen much of the Syrian capital yet.

The mission video

In which there are many explosions

No medal? Seriously? Is that because of the palace? Or is it because I scraped the tail so hard against the runway on take-off they counted my plane as damaged?
Anyway, note the number of the cannon hits :psyduck:

I mentioned another attempt. This is what happened.

A Shilka happened.
After the hit I decided to drop my last Mk.84. As you know, the non-retarded bombs usually stay right below you.
That is why the retarded bombs were invented.

The plane was still good enough to eject from, but I'm not taking the POW ending.

P.S. So, what Block are we flying? What did I blow up? I'm also sure there are a lot of corrections to be made about the AIM-120.

Makrond posted:

The Netz you're flying is most likely a Block 10, as the Netzes were apparently built and shipped to Israel in 1980. There's no real difference between the Block 1, 5 and 10 variants except that the Block 5 and later have the low-visibility grey nosecone instead of black, some drainage holes in a few places where water would accumulate, and in the Block 10 a replacement of some titanium components with aluminium. Additionally some parts were simplified, combined or made more easily accessible to reduce overall maintenance time and particularly the time between sorties.

The early F-16s didn't actually have the avionics to launch and guide AIM-120 AMRAAMs or even Sparrows, hence why the radar is down between your legs rather than in a prominent position like on the F-15 - it was considered more of a situational awareness tool than a vital combat component.

As for Damascus, uh. Damascus is huge and I can't think of a landmark off the top of my head that dominates it like that. My guess would be something like the Citadel of Damascus, or some other fortress or gate left as a remnant from when Damascus was a walled city.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 20, 2014

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

become Emperor of Japan!
The Netz you're flying is most likely a Block 10, as the Netzes were apparently built and shipped to Israel in 1980. There's no real difference between the Block 1, 5 and 10 variants except that the Block 5 and later have the low-visibility grey nosecone instead of black, some drainage holes in a few places where water would accumulate, and in the Block 10 a replacement of some titanium components with aluminium. Additionally some parts were simplified, combined or made more easily accessible to reduce overall maintenance time and particularly the time between sorties.

The early F-16s didn't actually have the avionics to launch and guide AIM-120 AMRAAMs or even Sparrows, hence why the radar is down between your legs rather than in a prominent position like on the F-15 - it was considered more of a situational awareness tool than a vital combat component.

As for Damascus, uh. Damascus is huge and I can't think of a landmark off the top of my head that dominates it like that. My guess would be something like the Citadel of Damascus, or some other fortress or gate left as a remnant from when Damascus was a walled city.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Heeeeey. I kinda liked the old Delta Force games when I was younger. t:mad:

Even if I liked Joint Operations more.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The original DF was fresh back then, and was the result of taking their voxel terrain engine and putting people onto it. The maps were huge and you could snipe at thugs for hours. If memory serves, the sequels went weird ditching the voxels, trying to add interiors to buildings, compensating for the weak AI with tons of scripts and linear levels. It was not a pretty sight. At least you can buy them on Steam.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I only really played DF2 and Land Warrior back then.

And I recall playing one of their Comanche games as well. I think I was a bit too young for that one and that usually ended in disaster.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...wow. I think you might be more accurate hucking cannon shells at the enemy from the cockpit.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Delta Force 2 especially had amazing multiplayer. I remember shelling area targets with a Mk. 19 at a 45 degree angle from several hundred meters away. poo poo was boss. The games only sucked due to how bad the AI was; the actual experience the provided in multiplayer was rad as all hell.

Joint Operations was fun too, if for nothing else other than it was what inspired me to play as a transport pilot in multiplayer games like that. Shuttling dudes around in a little bird, diving in for run-on combat landings in hot LZs, it was all kinds of rad.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S19E03: 1982.06.08 (Final Approach)

I decided to find out, what the huge building in the previous update was. I made a single mission, flew there, fired some rockets at it and checked the log after my Mystère was shredded by a Shilka. The building's name is Palace. Just Palace.

Morning

After the two previous outings I had reports of our ground offensives failing somewhere. We're going back to lend our troops a helping Maverick.

The mission video

In which we do it quickly

Uh, sorry, guys. I left some targets for you, but you were just lazy.

Afternoon

Too many tank units remain, so I might have to skip a mission later. For now, death.

The mission video

In which our Pythons choke MiGs like rabbits (with guns)

Haber, who used up all of his missiles yesterday, is now an ace. He's got 99 points in SKL, so that was probably bound to happen. The generated Israeli pilots are stupidly good.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Seriously, what was that ace doing? It was bewildering. Looked like he was doing the Drunk Farmer Steals An Airplane routine at an air show.

ObMeiste
Oct 7, 2003

The Boss doesn't like you. Get out now or you'll have some real trouble.
Wow almost a year now? And that's with very regular updates; all of them solid.
I do love me some thorough and good and thoroughly good LPs so kudos, SelenicMartian!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, when you were blacking out in a dive down to the mountains I thought for sure that was it for you.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S19E04: 1982.06.09 (The Last Itch)

I skip an unremarkable and successful CAS mission we flew in the morning. It was dull: I hit a bunch of T-62s, watched some T-72s, and gunned a T-54. The Syrian army is a rapidly shrinking tank museum.

Afternoon

Intercept? As long as no Kitchens are involved, I'm up for it.

The mission video

In which we check a few passports

The spirit of sharing prevailed today.

~Beyond time and space~

This is the closest you can get to post-game content in a sim, where everything is unlocked.

The mission video

In which, surprisingly, nothing unusual happens

Showing the stats, because 2Lt Wayne is a magician :magical:

~Meanwhile back in town~

Night

Instead on advancing to the 10th of June, we get another assignment on the 9th. Everyone heads out in their nightcaps and pyjamas.

The mission video

In which is all ends

That was a good last hunt.

The overstaffed squadron celebrates. :toot: I only now noticed, that our historical ace started this campaign with 0 missions flown.

Same ending as earlier, and here's a reminder of what it looks like.

And that's the end of a quarter of a century of shooting planes. Will Third Wire get their poo poo (and their budget) together and come back? Will some other developer cover the same period with better game design? How long will it take to archive this LP? Where the gently caress do I come from?
Time will tell, but for now

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
:golfclap:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, thanks for the LP Selenic. Its been enjoyable to watch, even it you did convince me not to get Strike Fighters. :tipshat:

I'm gonna miss this LP, but at least we've got Jobbo Fett's new Il-2 1946 LP to pick up the torch. Maybe one day I'll learn to do video recording/editing and toss in a Rise of Flight LP. Then, we can all together have covered the entire 20th century of combat aviation. :v:

SelenicMartian posted:

Will some other developer cover the same period with better game design?

Hopefully this'll be the case one day. We're really lacking in quality flight sims for the Korean and Vietnam Wars.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 23, 2014

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I am sad this is over. It's been one of my favorite LPs to follow, and has allowed me to pretend I know what the gently caress I'm talking about in casual conversation with regards to modern aircraft. Thank you for going though the whole thing!

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
And even at the end of the final video, the game glitches (slightly) out. :allears:

Thanks for the LP, Selenic: the commentary made all the videos enjoyable to watch and you covered the game extensively.
I hope that you find another interesting title to LP in the (hopefully near) future. :tipshat:

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Man, has it really been a whole year? Wow, where did the time go.

I'm really going to miss this informative fun thread that brought together my love of modern combat jets and sims based on that I'll never find the time and patience to learn to play.

So many highlights, my favourite one being SelenicMartian quoting Macbeth while taking off. It was so out there while so strangely appropriate at the same time.

Thanks for the LP Selenic, I really enjoyed it.

Stumbling Block fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 24, 2014

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Nothing much to add other than that was an excellent LP series. I've only been watching for the last 3 months but I've enjoyed all the videos.
Well done for sticking with it to the buggy end.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

become Emperor of Japan!
You're welcome SM, thanks for the LP. If nothing else SF2 is certainly more memorable than other sims for its idiosyncrasies, and it's nice to see a thorough examination of its ins and outs, its few ups and its many, many :downs:.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Echoing the sentiments of thankyou very much for the LP, it's a hell of a fun thing.

I'm not sure if you're interested in doing more flight sims but I would love to watch an IL-2 LP from you, especially being able to contrast it with strike fighters.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
At the risk of simply regurgitating what everyone else has said (and deservedly so), thank you a whole lot for the LP. I think it's a good indicator of the quality that even almost a year later the commentary has remained fresh, amusing, and informative.

I look forward to your next LP, if you go ahead with making another one. Also figuring out where the gently caress you come from. :v:

Makrond posted:

You're welcome SM, thanks for the LP. If nothing else SF2 is certainly more memorable than other sims for its idiosyncrasies, and it's nice to see a thorough examination of its ins and outs, its few ups and its many, many :downs:.

Somehow, I think :downs: sums up the SF2 experience quite well. Perhaps if it was wearing a little flight helmet.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

This has been an entertaining and informative Let's Play, and I'm a little sad that it's all over now.

Well... So long, and thanks for all the fish(beds)!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
It's been a year? It's over? Noooooooooooo.

Thank you SelenicMartian. This goes down as one of my favorite LPs of all time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Technically its only been about 11 months. :colbert:

Kremling
Nov 22, 2011
Thank you for this lp SM. It hit the spot for a good airplane game. I'll miss watching goofy AI pilots and exploding migs. And that terribly soothing voice of yours. I can't wait for your next project.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
A job well done. Thanks for the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
Well done, i watched the whole lp and enjoyed every bit of it. I highly recommend playing falcon 4 with the rest of us nerds.

• Locked thread