Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

SelenicMartian posted:

One of those few things is using a Lightning for the same purposes.

Normally, you run into a lot of air targets in 1965 Nam on a Thud. Plenty of chances for outrunning missiles and shooting lazy pilots.

I knew a guy, Ed Rasimus, who flew F-105s during Rolling Thunder. He wrote a book about it and one of the stories I remember most was the time he came off a target and started looking for his flight, found them, and joined up with them.

Er, no. He joined up with three MiGs.

Discretion being the better part of valor (and the number of steps involved in changing his gunsight from air-to-ground to air-to-air and making sure his cannon goes bang when he pulls the trigger), he decided to GTFO rather than try to take them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
One thing I always found kinda :downs: about the movie Top Gun was the line "During Vietnam, our pilots became dependent upon missiles and lost some of their dogfighting skills."

Motherfucker, most of the Navy's Vietnam kills were made in F-4s. They couldn't NOT use missiles, they had no guns!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

radintorov posted:

That's why the F-4s first started carrying external gun pods and later were modified to carry the now-venerable M61 Vulcan. :ssh:

The Air Force did that. Navy F-4s never had the M61.

Edit: Further research shows that no Navy F-4 made a single kill with anything other than missiles and that the gunpods the Navy procured (which apparently weren't the same as the ones the Air Force used) were considered "worthless."

More edit:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[edit] Actually is that a fifth on the centerline behind the wheel? :raise:

Yes it is. Probably.

McNally fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 8, 2013

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I figured this crowd would be interested in this link:

http://www.af.mil/live.aspx

The Doolittle Raiders are having their last reunion and will be opening their bottle of cognac. Watch it happen.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Madurai posted:

Korea, I guess.

I doubt ensigns would have been around to score kills in Korea and still be ensigns.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Soup Inspector posted:

Speaking of information, since we've just left Vietnam, I'd like to talk a little about Operation Bolo (spoilered in case Selenic wants to discuss it at some point) - it's one of the more memorable events in the war, in my opinion. Is that okay?

I once spoke with Robin Olds on the phone.

It was amazing.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

SelenicMartian posted:

Totally okay.

Did he growl at you?:D

It was 2005 and I decided I wanted to get his autograph. I did a little bit of Googling, sent a letter, and it came back to me. So I e-mailed the guy who ran (probably still runs) the 8th TFW mailing list (Olds' former crew chief, I believe) and explained my mission. He e-mailed back saying he gets a Christmas card every year from General Olds and included the address on it.

Problem was that it was the same address I already tried.

He also included a phone number and, after working up a bit of courage, I gave him a call.

I explained myself to him, probably apologized a billion times for disturbing him at home. I remember that he asked me to "slow down for an old man" because I was nervous and speaking quickly. He gave me a PO box address and I wrote another letter, thanking him for his time and probably apologizing again.

And that's the story of how I called Robin Olds at his home to ask him for an autograph.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Suspect Bucket posted:

Have missiles ever gone into space seeking on the sun? I mean, like a heat seeker SAM or something.

They've certainly chased after the sun, but no way does an A/A missile have enough fuel to make orbit.

I'm pretty sure they self-destruct at some point too.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hopping mad, as if he just realised that Frolf means Frog Golf.

:downsrim:

I figured that the short-range air-to-air stuff would stay within earth's gravity, but I was less certain about the ground-launched stuff, as they seems significantly more powerful. I also doubted that million dollar Phoenix missiles would do that as they were far later along in jet history, significantly more expensive, and probably a little more sophisticated in it's seeking.

Have there actually been satelite-killer missiles made and launched by ballsy latina f-16 pilots, or was that Tom Clancy bullshit?

There were anti-satellite killers and there were test-launches, but you're remembering wrong because both in real life an in the book they used F-15s as, basically, the first stage launch vehicle.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Soup Inspector posted:

I wasn't even aware a Navy Maverick was a thing!

Seriously? I thought it was common knowledge.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Suspect Bucket posted:

You're shootin' off early there, sailor.

I thought that's what sailors did. :v:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
It's worth pointing out that the two movies the F-14 is best known for featured the A model, not the D.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Back in the old Strike Fighters Project 1 days, I wrote a mission in the editor that was just one giant clusterfuck of aircraft.

All told I must have had around 50 aircraft flying around. I think maybe 10 of them were friendlies. All of them within about 15 NM of each other. The idea was you'd take off into the middle of this giant loving dogfight and see how long you'd last.

The answer was "not very long" because the mission crashed the game more of then than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

OwlFancier posted:

That does not look as though it should be able to carry that much ordinance with that little wing surface.

I'm more concerned with the fact that it appears as though the pilot might actually be sitting on the gun.

• Locked thread