Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I've loved this series since SFP1 and am excited to see it getting some treatment here. That is... an ambitious plan of campaigns, if you're going to play them all to their conclusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Looking ahead, I can't help but notice you've omitted the F-105 option in the 1962 "Red Thunder" campaign. Few things are as hilarious as driving the Thud in air-to-air.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

I could also use the third-person camera to check, but I really don't like it.

I can use the mouse to look around. If I had a third hand I'd be using that all the time. I could bind the view to the POV hat on the stick, but that would make it even more awkward, like using arrow keys to look in an FPS.
The games support TrackIR, but my unit is at least 5 years old, and the room layout is far from perfect. When I plugged it in before starting the LP, it made my pilot headbutt and headbang at the same time. Had to ditch the idea of actually scanning the skies.

Nesher's origin story - yeah, that's something :jewish::ninja:

The game has snap views, so it's not like you'd have to thumb-stick a turret around.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

F-100, because everyone should experience the misery.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Eeesh, with it performing like that I'm almost happy the Hunter won.

It's even more fun when you have to fight planes you can't just run away from.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Soup Inspector posted:

The "Fresco-D"'s search radar was presumably used for some sort of radar gunsight like the Hunter's, correct?

It did that, too, but it was a legitimate (if very short-ranged) search set.

e:f,b

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

F-105!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Clearly it's time you flew as fast as Lightning

Though choosing this time was tricky. Also, is it possible to get hit by cannon and NOT die now? Because most of the kills seemed to be basically 1-hit jobs.

It's possible, though unlikely. You can even survive missile hits if you're lucky.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's possible to hit things with the AIM-9B, you just have to be really selective about what you shoot at. The AI is not selective.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

A-4B + F-4B/F-8C

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Crusader's variable-incidence wing is its coolest feature and a relatively unique one. I can't think of any other aircraft offhand that have it.

The only one I can think of is the XB-51, Martin's competitor against the Canberra.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

I keep wondering, where and when did those pilots score their pre-generated kills in the middle of the Cold War?

Korea, I guess.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Point of order: "shotgun" is the call for firing unguided rockets, which are also carried by SEAD missions, especially for aircraft not capable of carrying ARMs.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

After watching, can anyone come up with a sane explanation, how the damage sustained by the MiG could've been caused by one hit?

Round enters engine, detonates, and departing turbine blades and igniting fuel do the rest. None of these planes are armored, or anything.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

The full log of this mission is a bit puzzling, though.

The bridge consists of multiple objects, three of which were within the Walleye's blast radius.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Do not condemn us to this medieval, missile-less existence.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

P.S.: I dug up some three-views and made a scale comparison between the Lightning and the thing, I talk about in the third video. Spoiler alert.

The "thing" is one of my favorite add-on planes to fly.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nesher, because Phantoms with internal guns is just wrong, somehow.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Do the SAMs ever become a threat, or is the game just somewhat generous given that you're flying aircraft all the time, or are SAMs genuinely not very good?

Yes, yes, and not yet.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Well that's somewhat reassuring at least. Christ I didn't realise that early missiles were that terrible, I always used to think that the jokes about early missile and jet interceptors were exaggerated but I would not want to be flying one of those against an enemy with guns.

Some leeway must be allowed for the fact that most of the early missiles, both air- and surface-launched, were meant to engage heavy bombers.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm trying to imagine flying Neshers against the Royal Navy task force in the Falklands, and the results do not seem like fun.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Dusseldorf posted:

If I had a choice between a Nesher and a Sea Harrier in a dog fight I'd probably go with the former. If I had a choice between AAF and RAF wingmates, signaling and ordinance then it would be the opposite.

I was thinking more about the SAM problem.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Runways are another target unsuitable for rockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

F-4M, A-10A, GR.3

• Locked thread