Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

ookiimarukochan posted:

I'm not sure that there was ever anything official, but it was long rumoured that Telltale licensed King's Quest from Activision and then eventually let the license expire because they were more interested in other, higher profile, titles.

This is what happened. They considered having Replay Games (the ones behind LSL Reloaded) do it, but decided against it. I think Replay asked Activision for the license but Activision said they're going to make a game themselves (whether they ever actually do is, of course, another matter entirely).

macnbc posted:

That seems to be their philosophy in general in regards to their library, since that's pretty much why Al Lowe said Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded happened rather than a new game.

Do you think a new game in any of those series will ever happen?

ookiimarukochan posted:

I'm reasonably sure that Codemasters own Leisure Suit Larry, not Activision.

This is true.

Edit:

choobs posted:

And I'm still pretty sure Chuck Jordan was just trolling dude, which definitely seems like something one of the lead devs on a Sam & Max game would do.

Two words: Poe's Law.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So I just gave up on playing Gabriel Knight 3 about a third of the way through the game.

Thus far I have endured one of the worst adventure game puzzles I have ever witnessed (maple syrup cat fur mustache), one of the most tedious stealth sections ever (going hotel room to hotel room), and some of the worst 3D this side of Monkey Island 4.

What finally pushed me over the edge was when I went to enter license plate numbers from my notebook into the computer thingie, and discovered that even though I clicked on all the different license plates as I saw them, and had Gabriel read them aloud each time, find out that apparently they were supposed to generate inventory items displaying them. But didn't. Because.

I have a feeling this won't cripple my game like old school Sierra adventures, but the plot has been generally uninspired, and the voice acting hilariously bad at best (Tim Curry's drawl sounds like a parody of his GK1 version). It was the straw that broke the camel's back for me and I just can't take it any more. :bang:

Did anyone here like this game? If so, were you drunk at the time?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

raditts posted:

That sounds about right for lovely point-and-clicks of the time. If I recall, King's Quest 4 had the same issue where you got the "bad" ending if you didn't get the magic apple to save the king, or if you just plain ate it yourself. The game's not even like "No you shouldn't do that you kind of need that to save your father!" it's just all "yeah go for it man, this apple is loving delicious and energizing!"
Roberta Williams was right - people just loving hate thinking.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Xander77 posted:

Roberta Williams also said that the decline of gaming was attributable to poor people being able to get games. So sometimes she's full of poo poo.

The problem with early point-and-clicks isn't that they made people think, it's that they would allow someone to make the game unwinnable and then let them waste their time for hours before telling them that. That was just bad design. If you're going to have a fail condition, have one, but either put up a game over soon or give the player the opportunity to recover later.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

macnbc posted:

Yes. At times, probably.

I can see all the reasons people have for hating the game, but I genuinely enjoyed the way they took their chances with the overall 3D design. It sorta clicked with me. Also, I'm not a native speaker so I didn't notice how cheesy Tim Curry's accent was.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

macnbc posted:

Roberta Williams also said that the decline of gaming was attributable to poor people being able to get games. So sometimes she's full of poo poo.

The problem with early point-and-clicks isn't that they made people think, it's that they would allow someone to make the game unwinnable and then let them waste their time for hours before telling them that. That was just bad design. If you're going to have a fail condition, have one, but either put up a game over soon or give the player the opportunity to recover later.

Yeah, I'm not sure what my example had to do with "thinking" but thanks for that awesome bit of condescension there Xander. In fairness to KQ4 I think the game tells you pretty early on that you need the apple to save your father so you would only not have it if you intentionally avoided it. I can't remember if you have to go out of your way to find it in the first place, I think I played it over 20 years ago.

None of the King's Quest games had anything on Leisure Suit Larry 2 in the "gently caress you" category, though. Aside from the heaps of dev logic, I'm pretty sure there were at least 2 or 3 instances where not getting an item for some non-sequitur situation means you're screwed and the game won't let you know until about halfway through the game.

raditts fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 15, 2013

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Xander77 posted:

Trust me, it isn't thinking that people hate. It's getting to the end of the game and discovering they're screwed because they didn't pick up that one rock three screens from the start that looks like all the other rocks but it turns out is crucial and now there's no way back and they have to start over. That kind of thing.

It was really disheartening experience to go through the KQ games a few years ago, gradually coming to the realisation that the series as a whole is basically terrible. It seems like however much the technology improved, the storylines and characters never developed beyond the same old trite, simplistic fairytale* tropes. All the time I kept thinking, surely they intended adults to play these games, so why am I being subjected to the kind of pre-school level storytelling that a five year old would find insultingly childish?

*Not that I object to fairytales per say, just the twee, bloodless variety that Roberta Williams seemed to favour.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

raditts posted:

None of the King's Quest games had anything on Leisure Suit Larry 2 in the "gently caress you" category, though. Aside from the heaps of dev logic, I'm pretty sure there were at least 2 or 3 instances where not getting an item for some non-sequitur situation means you're screwed and the game won't let you know until about halfway through the game.
Going from memory here, but I'm pretty sure that Al Lowe has said that they sold more hint books for Leisure Suit Larry 1 than they did copies of the game, and so they decided that as a major profit centre, they would design the sequel to sell even MORE hint books.
This seems to be the way that Square Enix and Namco build side quests for their RPGs, too.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

macnbc posted:

I really liked the story, which then got me to read Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned, and saved me from Dan Brown (The Da Vinci Code is a vastly worse rip-off of its premise than GK3 is).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Baby Sathanas posted:

Stay far away from Discworld 1. It breaks every adventure game rule about having good puzzles or not being able to permanently screw yourself over. It's full of bugs, isn't even that funny and is just a terrible game all-in-all.

Discworld Noir is widely regarded as a "good game" though. It at least has atmosphere in spades. Is worth trying out.

Noir is definitely the best of the lot, but if you like those old-fashioned wacky "puzzles make no sense" style adventure games then the first two Disworld games are pretty good examples of that.

Oh, and Noir is also buggy as poo poo. Also, last I checked, really hard to get hold of.

rvm posted:

Finished Cognition. I loved how with each episode they were adding new gameplay elements while still keeping old tricks / abilities useful. Puzzles were pretty good especially in the second half of the series.

The story mixes paranormal investigation, psychological thriller / drama and over-the-top comic-book-style violence and gore (which gets unintentionally hilarious at one point in the fourth episode). Cognition also tends to employ a lot of comic book / video game / etc. tropes (including pretty much every grimdark one in the book except for :tvtropes:, so be warned) and flip the genders in them.

All in all, it's extremely flawed, but entertaining series and I can't wait to see more from Phoenix Online.

I couldn't finish the first episode of that. The art style is absolutely atrocious, objects clip through each other all the time and it just looks generally bad. the characters were annoying and the protagonist keeps doing dumb things for no good reason. And the puzzles were frustrating - several times I thought of a perfectly valid solution to a puzzle but it wouldn't work because it wasn't the one the writers came up with. Like, to break the hand of a statue to free a shovel, you need to find a hammer. Rather than using any of the other things lying around that would do just as well, or even just shooting it with the gun you just used to break the lock on the gate you just came through.

I played the first episode of The Journey Down a while ago, and while it's pretty generic in terms of gameplay it's worth a look for the visual style and the characters.

Another one with great visuals is The Dream Machine, of which the first four episodes are currently available. The latest chapter took ages to come out, so it might be a bit of a wait for the final one, but this is one I feel is worth getting. Its puzzles can be a little bit dumb at times, but are generally better than most adventure games.

An older game that I enjoyed back when I played it was Innocent Until Caught, which I found on an abandonware site at some point. Not sure if it's still easy to find, but it's worth checking out if you see it. The sequel, Guilty, was also OK, but not as good. It did have one feature I wish more games had though, which is that you have a choice of protagonists and can play as either male or female. One warning though, there is a maze, so you'll probably want a walkthrough for that bit.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I've never actually understood why Noir was loved so much. It was ugly, 3D, not funny and worst of all, didn't have Eric Idle/Rincewind. Maybe I need to try it again coming from a perspective that's not 'I loved the first two'.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

As far as recent adventure game art, I've found A New Beginning - Final Cut to have quite a polished and nice art style. Not the most original style for an adventure game but one of the better executed art directions.

I also love the art in Kentucky Route Zero. It's just perfect for what it is. Of course it's literally just an adventure with no puzzles or challenges, but has great music and the occasional great moment here and there so far.

I can't bring myself to buy a whole slew of adventure games on steam because the artwork puts me off, stuff like Nancy Drew, Cognition, etc.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

tuna posted:

I can't bring myself to buy a whole slew of adventure games on steam because the artwork puts me off, stuff like Nancy Drew, Cognition, etc.

I don't think the Nancy Drew games are really adventure games anyway. As I understand it they're basically just a series of Where's Wally style hidden object puzzles. Same with the Agatha Christie ones. I haven't played them myself but I've seen my sister playing a couple of them.

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

macnbc posted:

So I just gave up on playing Gabriel Knight 3 about a third of the way through the game.

I'll link this even though it's 638395746 years old because I have a feeling you haven't read it: http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/77.html

I miss Old Man Murray.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Tiggum posted:

I don't think the Nancy Drew games are really adventure games anyway. As I understand it they're basically just a series of Where's Wally style hidden object puzzles. Same with the Agatha Christie ones. I haven't played them myself but I've seen my sister playing a couple of them.

The one I played, 'Haunted Carousel', wasn't like that at all, nor was the one Microwave was forced to Let's Play when he lost a bet. I suppose they do kinda look like them.

I felt the need to say this because hidden object games are loving everywhere and are a cavalcade of mediocrity or worse, and even an unironic computer game adaptation of Mein Kampf or Atlas Shrugged would be better than those. Except maybe the ones Jane Jensen was involved with. Maybe.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 17, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Just been playing The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief today, and though it seems pretty good so far, there is one major complaint I have with it. It's really, really slow. To get from one end of the train to the other you have to traverse every screen between, and the loading times are annoyingly long.

And it seems like there are some things you can accidentally skip, and no indication of which order to do things in if you want to see everything. It may be alternate paths to the same result though, I can't say for sure. All I know is that I had two tasks, unlock a door and find a lost purse, and as soon as I did one of them there was a major event that made it impossible to do the other.

Also, minor quibble, the subtitles are oddly inaccurate. One character is referred to as "Mrs Miller" in speech and "Miss Miller" in some subtitles and "Ms Miller" in others. I noticed some other odd inconsistencies like that as well.

I'm really enjoying all the Agatha Christie references though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Just been playing The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief today, and though it seems pretty good so far, there is one major complaint I have with it. It's really, really slow. To get from one end of the train to the other you have to traverse every screen between, and the loading times are annoyingly long.

And it seems like there are some things you can accidentally skip, and no indication of which order to do things in if you want to see everything. It may be alternate paths to the same result though, I can't say for sure. All I know is that I had two tasks, unlock a door and find a lost purse, and as soon as I did one of them there was a major event that made it impossible to do the other.

Also, minor quibble, the subtitles are oddly inaccurate. One character is referred to as "Mrs Miller" in speech and "Miss Miller" in some subtitles and "Ms Miller" in others. I noticed some other odd inconsistencies like that as well.

I'm really enjoying all the Agatha Christie references though.

Don't forget to save often. Autosave didn't work for me in Ep 1.

Didn't have any problem with the loading times and as I dimly recall you can fast-travel in a lot of cases (but, for some reason, not all) by double-clicking the exit.

I did both events in what was probably the expected order. In their defense, Legrand specifically tells you to not bother with the purse, so presumably they gave you an option to do just that.

The first episode is the best one, really. As soon as they do the switch to the thieves, it turns from a super-charming Christiesque investigative game into an average German point-and-clicker.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So after weeks and weeks of teasing, Cyan Inc. (Myst, Riven) has launched the Kickstarter for a new adventure game that is not a Myst title, but seeks to capture the same spirit.

Here comes Obduction.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
For a million bucks? That's bold of them.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

macnbc posted:

So after weeks and weeks of teasing, Cyan Inc. (Myst, Riven) has launched the Kickstarter for a new adventure game that is not a Myst title, but seeks to capture the same spirit.

Here comes Obduction.

Are they trying to emulate the QuickTime videos of myst with their tiny video or is my iPad broken?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Eulisker posted:

Are they trying to emulate the QuickTime videos of myst with their tiny video or is my iPad broken?

I think it's you. It loads fine on my laptop.
Also: $50k in under 4 hours. :stare:

macnbc fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 17, 2013

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I grew up playing early Space and King's Quest games on a Tandy 1000. Does anybody know how to configure DOSBOX to emulate the sound processor from it? I think it's the same as PCjr. The quality was somewhere between Sound Blaster and PC speaker, and it's just not the same playing them without it; Space Quest 3 in particular.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Shine posted:

I grew up playing early Space and King's Quest games on a Tandy 1000. Does anybody know how to configure DOSBOX to emulate the sound processor from it? I think it's the same as PCjr. The quality was somewhere between Sound Blaster and PC speaker, and it's just not the same playing them without it; Space Quest 3 in particular.

It's actually in the DOSBox wiki. Looks like you can enable it under speaker settings.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

macnbc posted:

It's actually in the DOSBox wiki. Looks like you can enable it under speaker settings.

Whenever I try that, it still sounds like it's doing a sound blaster (or PC Speaker, if I select that in the SQ3 installer). This is the sound I'm trying to get, but all I can manage is either PC speaker, or this. :(

Weird thing is, the Tandy music works just fine with SQ1 and KQ4. I have the 1997 SQ Collection, so maybe it's an issue with the SQ3 version in that package. I dunno but I'd love to get it working with Tandy music.

Shine fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 18, 2013

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Eulisker posted:

Your Ipad is broken.

Seriously why are people hating on this, seems great, granted I've not played their latest games but neither myst or riven had any bullshit puzzles and where really good.

I'll send them some money for a myst-like game for sure. I just wished they'd get Robyn Miller for the soundtrack but you can't get everything i guess.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 18, 2013

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I mentioned it over in the Kickstarter thread but if you have a hankering for some good, hard Myst-like games, check out RHEM.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Megazver posted:

For a million bucks? That's bold of them.

Well after one day they've gotten $250k, so something tells me they will probably exceed that.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Fredrik1 posted:

Seriously why are people hating on this, seems great, granted I've not played their latest games but neither myst or riven had any bullshit puzzles and where really good.

I'll send them some money for a myst-like game for sure. I just wished they'd get Robyn Miller for the soundtrack but you can't get everything i guess.

I agree with this. I'm really psyched about this one. This is the first time Cyan has essentially made their own major game without publishers dictating the budget or timetable since Riven. When Kickstarter came up I said that the three campaigns I'd automatically back if they ever happened were Dreamfall Chapters, a new game from Cyan, and a new game from Presto Studios. So far I'm 2/3 and I've been very pleased to put my money where my mouth is.

At the moment I've just pledged at the $25 level but I figure that's a baseline and I'll figure out what I can afford to do later.

In other adventure game news GOG is doing a sale on point-and-click adventures this weekend. 60% off for titles like Longest Journey, Jack Keane, 7th Guest, Book of Unwritten Tales, etc.

I don't have Richard and Alice but it looks interesting. Anyone play it?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Everybody go buy The Longest Journey, and don't spend more than 30 minutes trying to figure out the rubber duck without a hint book.

Nobody buy Dreamfall unless you liked the combat in Prince of Persia 3D for some reason.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nobody buy Dreamfall, period.

VVV
It's an abomination unto the Lord.
No hyperbole here

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 18, 2013

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Shine posted:

Everybody go buy The Longest Journey, and don't spend more than 30 minutes trying to figure out the rubber duck without a hint book.

Nobody buy Dreamfall unless you liked the combat in Prince of Persia 3D for some reason.

steinrokkan posted:

Nobody buy Dreamfall, period.

I disagree with you all on Dreamfall actually. There were some pretty dreadful combat/stealth sequences in it but at its core it has a good story and did a decent job following up on the characters from TLJ.

And yes it ends on a cliffhanger but thankfully Dreamfall Chapters is in production now to wrap things up.

What I WILL say for the sale is do buy 7th Guest for its awesomely cheesy FMV quality, but avoid 11th Hour at all cost. It has interactive movie syndrome and goes straight past awesomely bad and into just plain terrible in every way.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 18, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dreamfall is excellent and worth playing despite some bad parts.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dreamfall falls far short of The Longest Journey, but it was a pretty gorgeous game (at the time, dunno how well it aged) with great music. The gameplay itself I don't actually remember much about except that it was maybe a bit easy when it wasn't being very frustrating (combat, stealth), but the story is a good continuation. You'll probably need to play it for Dreamfall Chronicles anyway.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

While we're on the topic of cheesy 90s FMV games, how were the Tex Murphy games post-Mean Streets? I loved Mean Streets and played the poo poo out of it on my 286 as a kid, but a friend of mine had Under A Killing Moon and I couldn't get into what little I played of it. I can't remember how many sequels were after that.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

raditts posted:

While we're on the topic of cheesy 90s FMV games

I remember playing the demo for A Fork in the Tale years ago, back when PC Gamer had that sweet demo disc with the underground bunker and Coconut Monkey (I miss Klik n Play). It's a first-person FMV adventure where you are Rob Schneider and you travel through time and tell horrible jokes and fistfight a medieval grunge rocker in front of evil warrior princesses and da derp dee derp da teetley derpee derpee dumb.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

raditts posted:

While we're on the topic of cheesy 90s FMV games, how were the Tex Murphy games post-Mean Streets? I loved Mean Streets and played the poo poo out of it on my 286 as a kid, but a friend of mine had Under A Killing Moon and I couldn't get into what little I played of it. I can't remember how many sequels were after that.

There are 2 after Killing Moon: Pandora Directive and Overseer. (Well, 3 if you count Tesla Effect in production now.)
I thought Pandora Directive was best, but if you couldn't get into Killing Moon you probably won't get into Pandora Directive either.

The Tex Murphy games are probably the only legitimately good FMV games from the 90s though. All the rest didn't quite click, but since the Tex Murphy series never took itself seriously the zany cheesiness of it all worked and made for some solid games.

You might like Overseer though. It's basically a remake of Mean Streets. Fair warning though: It ends in a cliffhanger. Supposedly Tesla Effect will resolve it when it comes out next year.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

macnbc posted:

I don't have Richard and Alice but it looks interesting. Anyone play it?

I played it earlier this year and I kind of hated it. For that price though I'd recommend trying it though. The thing about it is it supposed to be a "your choices have consequences" kind of game, but the way the consequences manifested themselves was only at the endgame and as far as I could tell, it was totally random. Essentially if you choose dialogue option A 5 minutes into the game, then you got Ending C with no apparent connection to the earlier choices. I only know about this because of the GOG forums where people were comparing their endings and the choices they made.

It's entirely possible that the connections made some sense, but were just too subtle for me to pick up on in one playthrough, but the game is so relentlessly grim and dark that I couldn't bring myself to play through it again.

Despite all that, I still would recommend it at such a cheap price. If nothing else it shows a lot of promise.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Fredrik1 posted:

Your Ipad is broken.

I'm not hating. I still think riven is the greatest game I have ever played. The video was just tiny when I tried to see it. It is fixed now though.
I will surely buy this game but have to beat myst 4+5 First.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
I just finished the first Deponia game and it was lovely! Rufus was kind of a shithead but he turned it around at the end there. But what this game had, and I think these should be 100% compulsory in every point and click, was the ability to double click on an exit to instantly travel there and the ability to hold down the space bar to see where all the hotspots were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That Gabriel Knight remake is good news, but I wish they'd find the original audio somewhere. Curry's Cajun accent is pretty loving goofy but I like it.