Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

The back of the box boasted that it was for beginners and magazine reviewers.

My favourite example of the content the lite mode cut was the whole sequence where you track down the resting place of the Mad Monkey so you can trade its figurehead for one of the map pieces at the shop on Booty Island. In the lite version... you just walk into the shop and buy the map piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Of course you could just hit Ctrl-W (or was it Alt-W?) in both Monkey Island games.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Metal Dead just hit Steam at 66% off for the first 6 Days 6 Hours and 6 Minutes :black101:

It was definitely one of the funniest games in recent memory, as long as you like your humor jet black. There's no voice acting and the metal music is all lo-fi Midi. The lo-fi sound really matches the whole DIY aesthetic pretty well, but the sequel that's coming next year has "full metal soundtrack".

halwain
May 31, 2011
Are there any new news about the second part of Broken Age? Is it going to be finished in 2014 or are they already pushing it to 2015 ?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Indie Royale bundle currently has Samaritan Paradox in it for 2 euro (dollars?). It's a pretty decent adventure game. Not quite on the level of Dave Gilbert's writing and design, but quite solid.

halwain posted:

Are there any new news about the second part of Broken Age? Is it going to be finished in 2014 or are they already pushing it to 2015 ?

Nope. There's been no new documentary episodes, either.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 7, 2014

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

halwain posted:

I'm not optimistic that it will ever come out. I don't believe Tim has even finished writing it.

halwain
May 31, 2011
I really hope they dont just reuse the same assets for act 2 after nearly one year of development, if its relaesed early 2015 (Haha who am i kidding they are going to reuse everything for another 2-3h game :v:)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

halwain posted:

I really hope they dont just reuse the same assets for act 2 after nearly one year of development, if its relaesed early 2015 (Haha who am i kidding they are going to reuse everything for another 2-3h game :v:)

Well... the whole ending implies that things will probably take place in the same locations with the same NPCs but with the protags reversed?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So in sorta-kinda adventure game news, Cyan has made a deal for a Myst TV series with companion video game.

I'm intrigued at the concept but until a network signs on it'll be "believe it when I see it"

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
New Deus Ex-inspired episodic adventure game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVhHYbrsRDs

http://truelightgames.com/TTS-Land/ch1.html

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wow, that looks really bad. The voice-over and the creator's comments at the end make it seem like it's probably going to be bad (because it's essentially edutainment, and that's never a good sign) but even aside from that, there are apparently no other characters, there are documents you have to find and read and just visually it looks really bad. Also, the trailer shows off no puzzles, so I'm assuming (perhaps unfairly) that it's one of those games where you wander around and click things until a thing happens and none of it really feels like actually solving puzzles.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Did anybody get A Golden Wake? I'm up to the plane/car puzzle and it just WONT WORK

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Did anybody get A Golden Wake? I'm up to the plane/car puzzle and it just WONT WORK
Close the roof and drive under Mabel so she can regain her footing.

Golden Wake is another quality game published by WadjetEye by the way, definitely worth playing.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 10, 2014

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
I brought it on a whim yesterday and kind of regret it. Doesn't have the polish of the Blackwell games and looks terrible a lot of the time (i.e the green car). Currently stuck on a chase section which has no prompts on what to do and am about done with the game. Disappointing.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Zoobtro posted:

Doesn't have the polish of the Blackwell games

The earlier Blackwell games were pretty rough so that's quite a statement.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it

macnbc posted:

The earlier Blackwell games were pretty rough so that's quite a statement.

True, I should've said the last couple of Blackwell games and in retrospect they weren't exactly "polished" either. Still, this game is certainly not as good as those. Wonky puzzles, rushed story, unlikable main character and poor presentation.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

It's only published by them, anyway. Somebody else developed it. That's been the case for a lot of their so-so games. I still think that they are mostly publishing/developing good stuff, though. Too bad to hear that it's not too polished.

edit: http://www.grundislavgames.com/ made this one.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I enjoyed the Blackwell games, but they're not in the same league as Lucasarts games, TLJ, Beneath a Steel Sky, Primordia, Myst games etc. Personally, the generic ghost/haunting theme was distractingly tacky.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 13, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dominoes posted:

I enjoyed the Blackwell games, but they're not in the same league as Lucasarts games, TLJ, Beneath a Steel Sky, Primordia, Myst games etc. Personally, the generic ghost/haunting theme was distractingly tacky.

You're a terrible human being. :colbert:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
The Blackwell games in terms of visual quality/voice acting etc are comparable to the early 90s Lucasarts games. In terms of difficulty/length/etc they were always less, of course.

For those who enjoyed the Blackwell games, the guy who made A Golden Wake is the voice actor of Detective Durkin who features fairly prominently in Blackwell Epiphany.

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

Zoobtro posted:

I brought it on a whim yesterday and kind of regret it. Doesn't have the polish of the Blackwell games and looks terrible a lot of the time (i.e the green car). Currently stuck on a chase section which has no prompts on what to do and am about done with the game. Disappointing.

Yeah that chase section was particularly bad. I finished the whole game and something about it just felt ... stilted. The frequent time jumps and overall lack of emotional resonance with the characters makes it the weakest in the Wadjet Eye library so far IMO.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Puzzle Bots.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

cmndstab posted:

The Blackwell games in terms of visual quality/voice acting etc are comparable to the early 90s Lucasarts games. In terms of difficulty/length/etc they were always less, of course.

For those who enjoyed the Blackwell games, the guy who made A Golden Wake is the voice actor of Detective Durkin who features fairly prominently in Blackwell Epiphany.

I would say the visual quality thing is only true for the most recent Blackwell game. The early ones were horrible looking and the 4th one took a weird visual shortcut.

I think Primordia is the only title that really stands up to the old Lucasarts game though, visually and otherwise.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Business Octopus posted:

Yeah that chase section was particularly bad. I finished the whole game and something about it just felt ... stilted. The frequent time jumps and overall lack of emotional resonance with the characters makes it the weakest in the Wadjet Eye library so far IMO.

I have heard nothing good about "Da New Guys". Has anyone even played that?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
The early 90s Lucasarts games are pretty lovely-looking too. Of course, visual appeal is only one of the aspects of the game and none of them stand up to the likes of Fate of Atlantis or Monkey Island in terms of puzzles. Fun games though :)

Edit: I'd say the early Blackwell games look better than the pre-Loom offerings, so I guess late 80s rather than early 90s.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I didn't mind that one. It wasn't something I'd recommend, but I finished it and don't regret buying it. On the other hand, I never finished Gemini Rue because the combat and crate-moving mechanics annoyed the hell out of me, and the demo for Resonance irritated me so much I never bought it.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I didn't mind that one. It wasn't something I'd recommend, but I finished it and don't regret buying it. On the other hand, I never finished Gemini Rue because the combat and crate-moving mechanics annoyed the hell out of me, and the demo for Resonance irritated me so much I never bought it.

I also didn't hate Puzzle Bots but I'd be surprised to find that Golden Wake is worse, though I haven't purchased or played it yet.

choobs posted:

I have heard nothing good about "Da New Guys". Has anyone even played that?

It's pretty bad. Probably a good reason they haven't put it on steam.

While we're talking about Wadjet Eye, how's Emerald City Confidential? That's the only one I don't have aside from Epiphany and Golden Wake.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

While we're talking about Wadjet Eye, how's Emerald City Confidential? That's the only one I don't have aside from Epiphany and Golden Wake.
It's not very good. The setting is kind of cool, but since that's 90% lifted from the Oz books you may as well just read them instead. It's been a while since I played it, but from what I recall the puzzles are really easy and the story is pretty uninteresting.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
My understanding is that it's an adventure game specifically designed for children, so I wouldn't expect the puzzles to be anything too difficult.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
*women

It was designed for the hidden object crowd on the free game portals.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
:siren:Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition is now available.:siren:

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Up to day 5 in the GK Remake:

The backgrounds are beautiful. Then you look at the janky animation on the 3D models, and you wonder what the gently caress they were thinking.

Voice acting goes from "OK" to "Godawful". Grace is just... ugh :(

The "Streamlining" of the puzzles is fine. The Mime puzzle is now loving annoying though.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

-Edit- Nevermind, I just picked up the realMyst Masterpiece Edition and put it on classic movement mode. That one plays well enough on modern PCs.

Has anyone discovered how to get Myst Masterpiece Edition to play on Windows 8.1? I have the GoG version but it crashes every time I try to boot the game up.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 19, 2014

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Up to day 5 in the GK Remake:

The backgrounds are beautiful. Then you look at the janky animation on the 3D models, and you wonder what the gently caress they were thinking.

Voice acting goes from "OK" to "Godawful". Grace is just... ugh :(

The "Streamlining" of the puzzles is fine. The Mime puzzle is now loving annoying though.

So for you and anyone else who has played it, is this remake worth it for anyone that really enjoys the original? I can cope with bad quality sprites, although a little disappointed about the decrease in voice actor quality (although, who was going to be better than Tim Curry?), but is there really any added value this version?

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Pesmerga posted:

So for you and anyone else who has played it, is this remake worth it for anyone that really enjoys the original? I can cope with bad quality sprites, although a little disappointed about the decrease in voice actor quality (although, who was going to be better than Tim Curry?), but is there really any added value this version?

There's a few changed puzzles, and a couple of full screen dumb puzzles (sliding puzzles etc)

Only get it if you're a huge fan, which I am. It'll be steam sale material eventually.

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

I just played a bit of Dreamfall Chapters. Any and all fans of the original Dreamfall, play this right now. Right now. ..or in thirteen hours when it launches for everyone else. It's brilliant.

(Please note that Chapters will be released episodically. This is the first of five books. No ETA on the rest yet.)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, Chapters is really loving good. I stopped at the beginning of Europolis for now, holy crap is that place atmospheric with a good amount of stuff to find.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

epmode posted:

I just played a bit of Dreamfall Chapters. Any and all fans of the original Dreamfall, play this right now. Right now. ..or in thirteen hours when it launches for everyone else. It's brilliant.

(Please note that Chapters will be released episodically. This is the first of five books. No ETA on the rest yet.)

I got up to Europolis this morning before I head to head out, but it's drat good so far.

Dreamfall Chapters thread here, by the way, for discussions of Reborn and any general ~lore~ chat.

Mira fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 21, 2014

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

There's a few changed puzzles, and a couple of full screen dumb puzzles (sliding puzzles etc)

Only get it if you're a huge fan, which I am. It'll be steam sale material eventually.

Thanks. I really enjoy the original, but I guess I'll wait for this to go on sale before I bother. Also, sliding puzzles? Why???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

OK I'm a fussy bugger and I'm nitpicking stupid stuff here. I'm a huge fan of the original Gabriel Knight game and was pretty excited to play through the remake. I wanted to love it so much, but to be honest it fell flat with me and was just ok at best. I can't figure out what the thinking was behind some of the changes. The extra puzzles, like the sliding puzzle and the loving stupid voodoo trust machine puzzle at Magenta Moonbeam's are the sort of tedious cheap filler you expect from hidden object games. The 3D models looked awful, I would stare amazed as Grace would start every day sinking down into the doorstep of St George's, or Mosley's crotch would clip through his rear end whenever he leaned over. How could anybody look at this as a final product and go 'yes, this is perfect'? Even worse were the talking heads during dialogue, they do not stop bobbing and weaving about in the most inhuman manner. In the end I would listen to the dialogue whilst looking at my keyboard because the wobbling head motions became a major irritant for me.

Other strange changes that I didn't get - at the university you can only talk to Hartidge at the podium in the lecture hall and not in his office. It seemed odd to me that every time you return to the university this professor was just standing on an empty stage not doing anything. It made far more sense to have Hartridge in his office, which is where a tenured professor would logically be! In the end you first enter Hartridges office when you find his dead body. They did away with the super creepy music, so you walk into the office, find the body and all the time this grand 'proud university' pomp music blares away joyfully in the background. It's at this point you first get to look around the office, so the narrator is cheerfully commenting on masks and maps whilst a body is slumped at the desk. Surly the time to explore the office in a cheerful manner is before Hartridge dies? I was really pissed at this scene as the Hartridge death reveal in the original still gives me chills, in the remake they needlessly bungled it and wrung every last drop scariness from it. It's just such a weird change and I don't get it.

I also really hated the new content at the police station where Gabriel is menaced by a hoard of zombie like/possessed police officers. What the hell? In the original game it's pretty much laid out that the police force is corrupt and the voodoo cult uses its massive wealth and political power to manipulate city officials. Now in the new game it's silly voodoo magic and Frick the desk sergeant is a loving zombie.

Having locations blocked off annoyed me too and changed Gabriel's character somewhat. Grace tells Gabriel on day 1 his gran called and Gabe says something about how he really must visit her, but you can't go to gran's house until much much further into the game, and that's only after several calls from gran and prompts from Grace. I loved that in the original Gabriel could call into his grans every day for a hug and a kiss, in the remake it seems like he's more of an absent grandson who only visits his granny after repeated calls and pressure from Grace. Gabriel loves his granny drat it!

Worst of all? They made the mime puzzle harder.