Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I kinda hated the ending of the second to last game, with the big bad villain and all, it felt so cheesy. But for some reason I didn't mind the last game being similar in that regard. Maybe after so many games, and an especially long finale, you're so invested in the characters you're ready to forgive anything. Or maybe it was handled better, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm actually stuck though trying to solve the bombing in the restaurant. All I have left to get is a fish in the jar, but I can't figure out how. I know I need it to see whatever's in the vent, but I can't figure out how to make the jar attractive to the glowy little bastards

Since no one answered you: Think about what happens when you try to grab them. Why do they react this way? You have to put something in the jar to lure them in.
Full spoiler: The idea is that they regulary get fed some scraps so they developed a taste for that particular meat. There is plenty more, where that came from.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I just upgraded my aging gaming rig a couple weeks ago, so I've been catching up on the more graphically intensive titles I've had backlogged until now.

Just finished The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and thought it was amazing. It was seriously one of the most aesthetically gorgeous games I've ever played, and the relatively slow-paced first-person exploration of the environment helped scratch an itch with me that I haven't had since the Myst games stopped coming out. The puzzles were insanely easy but I'm usually in these games more for the experience than the challenge anyway.

I know it's been out a few months now and the initial hype has passed, but if you've been on the fence about it I suggest giving it a try. Highly recommended!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

macnbc posted:

I just upgraded my aging gaming rig a couple weeks ago, so I've been catching up on the more graphically intensive titles I've had backlogged until now.

Just finished The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and thought it was amazing. It was seriously one of the most aesthetically gorgeous games I've ever played, and the relatively slow-paced first-person exploration of the environment helped scratch an itch with me that I haven't had since the Myst games stopped coming out. The puzzles were insanely easy but I'm usually in these games more for the experience than the challenge anyway.

I know it's been out a few months now and the initial hype has passed, but if you've been on the fence about it I suggest giving it a try. Highly recommended!

Definitely play Ether One. It's not as beautiful but more Myst-like with cleverer puzzles. The game was practically unplayable at launch but they released a patch that fixed many of the literal game breaking bugs.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

al-azad posted:

Definitely play Ether One. It's not as beautiful but more Myst-like with cleverer puzzles. The game was practically unplayable at launch but they released a patch that fixed many of the literal game breaking bugs.

Oh yeah, a few pages back I went bonkers over Ether One as well. I remember saying it was probably one of my all-time favorites at that point, but Ethan Carter is seriously giving it a run for its money.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

macnbc posted:

Agree. Best graphics of any game I've played.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you've beat Technobabylon: blooper reel.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I'm now making my way through the first Deponia yet again, after I had abandoned it a while ago. Few questions: is it me or a lot of this, including dialogue, makes no sense whatsoever? Also, is this guy going to be an annoying rear end in a top hat throughout or should I stick around for some character evolution? Because right now I'd like to drown him in a bucket.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mr Underhill posted:

I'm now making my way through the first Deponia yet again, after I had abandoned it a while ago. Few questions: is it me or a lot of this, including dialogue, makes no sense whatsoever? Also, is this guy going to be an annoying rear end in a top hat throughout or should I stick around for some character evolution? Because right now I'd like to drown him in a bucket.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Prepare yourself for legitimately one of the most awful characters in video game history. He is Army of Darkness Ash minus the charisma and his screwball antics are never punished.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Oh, brother. Such a shame about that beautiful art.

From what I'm reading online I'm expecting blatant misogyny, racism and general assholeness, too - and that goes for all games in the series. I was just reading this in an RPS review of the last in the series:

RPS posted:

For example. Of the very few black characters in the game, one of them is being forced to be an organ grinder’s monkey. Yes, a monkey. A puzzle (of sorts) at that stage in the game is to first get rid of the organ grinder, and then to find a replacement monkey, so that Monkey – as it persists in calling him – can become the new grinder. The person you’re required to have become his new dancing monkey, by destroying her life until she has nothing left? The other black character.

And the way you get her to take the job? You literally sell her.

:stare:

I mean you could chalk it up to Germans not being as sensitive towards black people on account of having very few around, but we have even fewer and I'd never even consider putting something like that in. Geeez

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

al-azad posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Prepare yourself for legitimately one of the most awful characters in video game history. He is Army of Darkness Ash minus the charisma and his screwball antics are never punished.

Yeah, uh, sorry Mr. Underhill. They constantly dance around the idea of Rufus being a parody of unintentionally immoral adventure game protagonists for three games, but he gets so little substantial punishment that he's basically the same thing unironically.

E: The fact that the quoted awful moment happens in the LAST game is proof enough that the writers had no concept of a "character arc".

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 26, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Germans like all the terrible things about old adventure games and don't realize what actually made them memorable.

Daedalic is at least has my interest in Devil's Men. That could be cool if they don't gently caress it up.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Daedalic has never made a good adventure game, it's kind of remarkable

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

Daedalic has never made a good adventure game, it's kind of remarkable
I don't know, I feel Memoria was shaping into a good game from what I played of it, though I need to get back to it.

It was leagues freaking better than its prequel, Chains of Satinav, at least.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Night of the Rabbit was alright

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Night of the Rabbit was alright

I liked it a lot; it had the great art and decent gameplay of Daedalic games without the Family Guy-tier writing.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Mr Underhill posted:

Oh, brother. Such a shame about that beautiful art.

From what I'm reading online I'm expecting blatant misogyny, racism and general assholeness, too - and that goes for all games in the series. I was just reading this in an RPS review of the last in the series:

I mean you could chalk it up to Germans not being as sensitive towards black people on account of having very few around, but we have even fewer and I'd never even consider putting something like that in. Geeez

Deponia was a good looking game that had some cool art and some silly but entertaining moments. But lots of moments that veered into bad taste/discomfort. The entire plot premise is a little uncomfortable with what happens to the female lead. Then I read about the organ grinder bit and completely gave up on the series in disgust.

Chains of Satinav is a solid C but also features some really uncomfortable male-female relationships and a whiny main character. I really liked Memoria and Night of the Rabbit though.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Night of the Rabbit is great. It's the polar opposite of Deponia. It's sweet, good natured, whimsical and stars a main character who is objectively a nice person and not irritating like Rufus or Sadwick from The Whispered World. It also has much better puzzle design. Really the only negative was the story's pacing and construction. They did the whole "no story details until the end an then giant info dump all at once" which was too bad because otherwise it was a good story. It's definitely an outlier in Daedalic's catalog, in a good way.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

Germans like all the terrible things about old adventure games and don't realize what actually made them memorable.

I'd like to take the opportunity to agree with you, but also point out that KingArt Games are the exception to this rule and you should play The Book of Unwritten Tales 1-2 and The Raven (it's in a bundle right now).

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I have to admit I'm not very familiar with most non-American adventures, I've only recently begun to take an interest in them. That Devil's Men looks so goddamned gorgeous! I'd love more steampunk adventures, seems like it's a very appropriate genre to point and clickify, what with all the cogs and machine parts and potential intricate inventory puzzles. Something like Infernal Devices made into a game (the Jeter one) would make me so happy.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I thought Edna & Harvey: The Breakout was absolutely fantastic and is easily the best Daedelic game I've played, and in general one of the best adventure games of recent years. It's not much to look at but the game world is large, the puzzles are fun (mostly) and challenging, and the amount of unique dialogue and interactions is frankly ludicrous. It has a lot of charm that the sequel kind of squandered and Daedelic's other games don't have.

I still need to get to Night of the Rabbit, though.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm playing Dreamfall as a leadup to finally getting around to playing Dreamfall Chapters and drat it's a slog. I remember the "combat" and "stealth" sections being terrible but clearly I didn't recall just how bad they were. Not to mention the actual puzzles being mediocre as well.

Please tell me Dreamfall Chapters dropped the stealth/combat or is generally a better game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I'm playing Dreamfall as a leadup to finally getting around to playing Dreamfall Chapters and drat it's a slog. I remember the "combat" and "stealth" sections being terrible but clearly I didn't recall just how bad they were. Not to mention the actual puzzles being mediocre as well.

Please tell me Dreamfall Chapters dropped the stealth/combat or is generally a better game.

The devs had the stealth and combat gameplay dropped on them from on high by the publishers. Dreamfall Chapters was kickstarted and therefore entirely under their control. (Translation; no stealth and combat)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They've made some controversial hair choices for Ep 3, however:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Megazver posted:

They've made some controversial hair choices for Ep 3, however:
Good God, who is responsible for this?
Although, it would be interesting to see Unity struggle just to render Kian's hairstyle.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Would just like to drop a quick recommendation for Technobabylon. Just finished it, took about 12 hours overall. While it was a bit uneven, I still found it a very enjoyable game and definitely one of the best in recent times. Not quite as good as Primordia, then again what is?

Buy it!

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I think I'm the only one on these forums at least who wasn't head over heels in love with Primordia. I can't even remeber if I finished it or not, so chances are I didn't. I liked the atmosphere and Moebius-like vibe and graphics, but a lot of the puzzles seemed needlessly obtuse to me (like the guy hiding in the mirrors or monitors one, remember that one?). Plus, I love comic relief sidekicks, they're one of my favorite tropes, but that little robot guy was neither relief nor comical. Having a faceless protagonist didn't help, either.

Gave Alum's demo a try. Looks nice enough, but the main character's voice sounding like he'll keel over every minute now really ruined it for me.

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 27, 2015

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Mr Underhill posted:

I think I'm the only one on these forums at least who wasn't head over heels in love with Primordia. I can't even remeber if I finished it or not, so chances are I didn't. I liked the atmosphere and Moebius-like vibe and graphics, but a lot of the puzzles seemed needlessly obtuse to me (like the guy hiding in the mirrors or monitors one, remember that one?). Plus, I love comic relief sidekicks, they're one of my favorite tropes, but that little robot guy was neither relief nor comical.

I think I didn't understand the monitors puzzle, I just kept breaking the monitors the guy was in so he couldn't move anymore, and I think that was an achievement and not the default way of beating it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Underhill posted:

I think I'm the only one on these forums at least who wasn't head over heels in love with Primordia.

I'm with you. I played like the first hour and a half and it didn't grab me. Maybe it gets better later, but I think the whole opening area is pretty lame honestly.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Mr Underhill posted:

I don't know but given our history I find it very hard to believe that Germany is not sensitive about racism. I sure am.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Eulisker posted:

I don't know but given our history I find it very hard to believe that Germany is not sensitive about racism. I sure am.

What that meant to say was "these german people who made this thing", not Germans in general, sorry about the equivocal phrasing

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mr Underhill posted:

I think I'm the only one on these forums at least who wasn't head over heels in love with Primordia.
I liked Primordia, I think it's one of the better point-and-click adventure games, but unfortunately that's a genre that sets up some pretty low expectations. It's not a game I'm really interested in playing again, even though I know there are alternate endings. It's still the best thing Wadjet Eye have put out other than the Blackwell series (and possibly Technobabylon, which I haven't played yet).

elf help book posted:

I think I didn't understand the monitors puzzle, I just kept breaking the monitors the guy was in so he couldn't move anymore, and I think that was an achievement and not the default way of beating it.
That's one of the puzzles you can solve in two different ways. If you smash the actual monitor he's in, he dies and you can't reactivate the giant robot and need to find another way to get what it would have given you. The other way is to smash monitors he's not in until he's trapped. I can't remember what you get for it or what the other solution is, but I do know that that was one section I reloaded because I wanted to see the dialogue with the giant robot.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Sparing that guy actually nets you the better endings, you're mostly locked into bad ones if you kill it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
More Ben Chandler from Shardlight:

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Megazver posted:

More Ben Chandler from Shardlight:

Now THAT!

...is gorgeous.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Tiggum posted:

I liked Primordia, I think it's one of the better point-and-click adventure games, but unfortunately that's a genre that sets up some pretty low expectations. It's not a game I'm really interested in playing again, even though I know there are alternate endings. It's still the best thing Wadjet Eye have put out other than the Blackwell series (and possibly Technobabylon, which I haven't played yet).

That's one of the puzzles you can solve in two different ways. If you smash the actual monitor he's in, he dies and you can't reactivate the giant robot and need to find another way to get what it would have given you. The other way is to smash monitors he's not in until he's trapped. I can't remember what you get for it or what the other solution is, but I do know that that was one section I reloaded because I wanted to see the dialogue with the giant robot.

I guess I was breaking the monitors he wasn't in without understanding what I was actually doing.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

elf help book posted:

I guess I was breaking the monitors he wasn't in without understanding what I was actually doing.

Exactly my problem, it wasn't communicated clearly. Oh well, at least it wasn't impending progress.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
While it won't solve the problem if one doesn't know what the problem is to start with (can't comment on that, can't remember if I felt the game was clear about it or not), the way to avoid smashing him is to use the energy sensor on the screens. It will light up for the one he is currently in.

One of the reasons I like Primordia and Technobabylon is that they have a lot of unique UI elements, and sometimes gameplay elements (like the energy sensor), implemented. While they're undoubtedly adventure games, they manage to feel a bit more fleshed out and "interactive" in my opinion. I love all the beat up pieces of junk you get to punch codes into in Primordia for example, it greatly enhances the feel of the game by relatively simple means.
Technobabylon is also pretty good about this, with the Trance and all that.

It doesn't really change the gameplay per say, but it frames it in a way so that it feels a bit more varied.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, Homesick is currently on sale on Steam. It seems neat. A very atmospheric, beautiful setting with gameplay not unlike Going Home. Has anyone played it, and could they give any opinion on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Jenny LeClue now has a free playable teaser! I can't wait to get my grubby hands all over it. Get it here now. You can throw a little money their way if you feel like it but it isn't necessary. I'll be back with impressions.