Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Agh, it's been 8 years since Dreamfall?? I mean I always knew it in the back of my head, but seeing it brought up as a concrete number...

I played Dreamfall at launch, and I knew at the time there wasn't going to be a sequel any time soon, so I just put it out of my mind. The combat and stealth sections were definitely publisher forced, the situation they were in at the time called for multi-platform releases and a more traditional adventure game wasn't going to sell (according to publishers) especially at the time. Dreamfall: Chapters is the game they've always wanted to do, minor Unity game engine issues aside. Still, I loved Dreamfall much more than I'd thought I would, mostly because I went into it with everything from Longest Journey pretty fresh in my mind, and the characters were written well enough to show through.

I don't know the Squall reference, but April does come across as a little one-note in Dreamfall, but that's because if you don't see her character arc in The Longest Journey, you're missing some important info, as was already covered in spoilers.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
The Dropsy trailer is here, yay! Kert, the trailer dude, is a master at putting them together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfRjByXbenA

Release is on September 10. :)

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Gaspy Conana posted:

The Dropsy trailer is here, yay! Kert, the trailer dude, is a master at putting them together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfRjByXbenA

Release is on September 10. :)

Looking really good, I'm excited

arcsig
May 29, 2015

RHEM IV was greenlit on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/472943524/1438242138

It's going to have some new areas and puzzles that weren't in the original release and Knut says the plan is to use this new release to help fund RHEM V. That'd be pretty cool.

I still can't get over the fact that the greenlight trailer looks like it was whipped up in an hour, though. Come on, Runesoft.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Foxtail is on Kickstarter.

I remember seeing this before somewhere, it's pretty as a picture...

...watch the pitch, the graphics are great and the mood they create is really something else, although there isn't any actual gameplay or info in it.

200 hundred locations. No, you read that right: TWO HUNDRED locations. I guess pixel art sure saves you a lot of location painting time...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It looks pretty, I just wish their Kickstarter had more concrete information other than "You'll get invested in this world and these characters and the story. We're not going to detail what any of that is but I'm telling you! Get invested!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Underhill posted:

Foxtail is on Kickstarter.

I remember seeing this before somewhere, it's pretty as a picture...

...watch the pitch, the graphics are great and the mood they create is really something else, although there isn't any actual gameplay or info in it.

200 hundred locations. No, you read that right: TWO HUNDRED locations. I guess pixel art sure saves you a lot of location painting time...

Anything involving anthropomorphic animals has a steep hill to climb before I'll trust it not to turn out super creepy. Like, I'm sure this will turn out fine, but there's this voice in the back of my head telling me it's going to go horribly, horribly wrong. The internet has poisoned that well for me.

Dozeworthy
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Anything involving anthropomorphic animals has a steep hill to climb before I'll trust it not to turn out super creepy. Like, I'm sure this will turn out fine, but there's this voice in the back of my head telling me it's going to go horribly, horribly wrong. The internet has poisoned that well for me.

I think that hill is made steeper by "fox girl in hot pants."

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Dozeworthy posted:

yep, lol if you seriously think about kickstarting this

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Skwirl posted:

Dozeworthy posted:

quote:

As you embark on your adventure you will discover how Leah is a deep and interesting character. She is a struggling soul and is challenged by her tragic personal story, which is revealed as you play. You’ll become emotionally invested and Leah’s experiences will be yours.

You’ll fall in love with her.

Bolding is not mine, and that should tell you everything you need to know about the game and its creator if the text itself doesn't.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The game's author still strikes me as just a bit clueless, rather than a perv scammer, but perhaps I'm being naive.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Could definitely need actual info about the game itself and ideally a demo, but regarding the fox in hotpants thing, at least apparently the creator is a lady so that should significantly decrease the creep factor odds.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm pretty sure that if our love for hot-pantsed fox ladies can cross the boundaries of species, gender is not an issue.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mr Underhill posted:

at least apparently the creator is a lady so that should significantly decrease the creep factor odds.
Why?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Call me crazy but my perception is that girls/women tend to perv out a heck of a lot less than men in any given medium :shrug:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Megazver posted:

The game's author still strikes me as just a bit clueless, rather than a perv scammer, but perhaps I'm being naive.

I think so too. The creators are German, there's probably some awkwardness in translation. And going by their Facebook/instagram they simply want to make a funny animal video game.

The visuals don't bother me, it's more The Wind and the Willows than it is the creepy faux-anime "we just watched Disney's Robin Hood" visual style that drives furries crazy. Actually the game is more aesthetically reminiscent of Inherit the Earth which I'm floored they didn't name drop. There's got to be some deep-pocketed hardcore fans of that game hanging around.

But hey, the biggest hurdle isn't the character design it's getting their name out there because 1% funding in 24 hours is bad.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I posted about it in several places but everywhere the response is "yea, looks good, but where's the game, this is suspicious'. You don't really launch a game KS w/o a demo unless you're a proven/beloved dev.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

al-azad posted:

I think so too. The creators are German, there's probably some awkwardness in translation. And going by their Facebook/instagram they simply want to make a funny animal video game.

The visuals don't bother me, it's more The Wind and the Willows than it is the creepy faux-anime "we just watched Disney's Robin Hood" visual style that drives furries crazy. Actually the game is more aesthetically reminiscent of Inherit the Earth which I'm floored they didn't name drop. There's got to be some deep-pocketed hardcore fans of that game hanging around.

But hey, the biggest hurdle isn't the character design it's getting their name out there because 1% funding in 24 hours is bad.

inherit the earth also had a failed kickstarter

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Hey Gaspy, Rock Paper Shotgun just announced your launch!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mr Underhill posted:

I posted about it in several places but everywhere the response is "yea, looks good, but where's the game, this is suspicious'. You don't really launch a game KS w/o a demo unless you're a proven/beloved dev.

Or you have an amazing pitch video like Jenny LeClue. 60 seconds of art that you showed in the description in gif form isn't a good pitch video.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

arcsig posted:

It's going to have some new areas and puzzles that weren't in the original release and Knut says the plan is to use this new release to help fund RHEM V. That'd be pretty cool.

I still can't get over the fact that the greenlight trailer looks like it was whipped up in an hour, though. Come on, Runesoft.

hooray!

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
GOG is doing a big sale on adventure games this weekend

Highlights include Wadjet Eye and Daedalic games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

macnbc posted:

GOG is doing a big sale on adventure games this weekend

Highlights include Wadjet Eye and Daedalic games.

Most of those are pretty good, save for A New Beginning and the Deponia games.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Anyone played Submerged?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
So is the new King's Quest poo poo or not?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Not poo poo. Haven't played it yet but I've heard and seen good things that basically amount to everything I want adventure games to become. Namely that it's seamlessly integrated with its narrative framing, there are a combination of traditional inventory based puzzles but also environmental puzzles that feel more game-y and interactive, and the world feels vibrantly alive. There are pacing issues that I feared when I first saw the game, the same as the later King's Quests where you do a lot of terribly slow backtracking without the ability to skip forward, but I can get over it.

I'd still wait for a sale. $10 an episode is not a very good value to me even if it is relatively longer than other episodic games.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the president is missing (1989)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

al-azad posted:

Not poo poo. Haven't played it yet but I've heard and seen good things that basically amount to everything I want adventure games to become. Namely that it's seamlessly integrated with its narrative framing, there are a combination of traditional inventory based puzzles but also environmental puzzles that feel more game-y and interactive, and the world feels vibrantly alive. There are pacing issues that I feared when I first saw the game, the same as the later King's Quests where you do a lot of terribly slow backtracking without the ability to skip forward, but I can get over it.

I'd still wait for a sale. $10 an episode is not a very good value to me even if it is relatively longer than other episodic games.

It's very much like a Telltale game, just with a bigger focus on puzzles than conversations. Not very advanced puzzles, mind you, but you do spend much more time wandering around doing things than watching cutscenes. Your choices are also less about the plot and more about how you solve the puzzles - there are multiple solutions to each major "quest" that correspond to a philosophy of heart, mind, or strength. Looking up what other people did there's actually quite a bit of variability and solutions I never even knew were possible, which is neat.

It feels meaty and looks great. They did a really stellar job with the animation, and the voice acting is awesome. The writing is often corny as poo poo (as per the KQ tradition), but it's very charming and occasionally legit funny. It's like a PG Monty Python in a lot of ways, it's likely a fun game to play with your kids if you have any.

Main flaws are as mentioned a lot of backtracking and a complete and total inability to skip ANYTHING, even dialogue/cutscenes you've seen before. Also I imagine some of the QTE/action stuff will rub people the wrong way but I thought it was fairly harmless and used sparingly.

I definitely think it's worth $10. And keep in mind I loving hate King's Quest as a series.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Thanks, I'll probably wait until after it all comes out but its on my radar.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 7, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Underhill posted:

Call me crazy but my perception is that girls/women tend to perv out a heck of a lot less than men in any given medium :shrug:

Most fan fiction is written by women.

al-azad posted:

I think so too. The creators are German,
Oh god, it's German too.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

"Saduj" (Judas in reverse)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

"Saduj" (Judas in reverse)

(4991) sadujberyc

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Sci-Fi/horror adventure game Stasis, with its beautiful isometric graphics, is coming out this August 31st

Here's the launch trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACFynCVApZ8

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 7, 2015

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

corn in the bible posted:

The President's watch may intimate that he's in the Continental United States.

I never played it (and it can't be completed, you had to write in to find out if you had the correct solution or not), but it must be doing something right if I remember it from a page of hints I read as a tiny child

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Prenton posted:

The President's watch may intimate that he's in the Continental United States.

I never played it (and it can't be completed, you had to write in to find out if you had the correct solution or not), but it must be doing something right if I remember it from a page of hints I read as a tiny child

they did a followup, presumed guilty, which is pretty cool. i don't know if it can be completed either, though.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

Sci-Fi/horror adventure game Stasis, with its beautiful isometric graphics, is coming out this August 31st

Really looking forward to this.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

arcsig posted:

From what I can tell: the RHEM series is basically what people used to the the Myst series was like before it got pretensious in Uru and End of Ages. From what I've read, RHEM is insane. There are, for example, wires travelling between rooms, but to figure out what they connect, you have to draw a map because the two locations can't be travelled between directly.

Is there any chance of the first three games appearing on Steam?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 8, 2015

arcsig
May 29, 2015

BiggerJ posted:

From what I can tell: the RHEM series is basically what people used to the the Myst series was like before it got prtention is Uru and End of Ages. From what I've read, RHEM is insane. There are, for example, wires travelling between rooms, but to figure out what they connect, you have to draw a map because the two locations can't be travelled between directly.

Is there any chance of the first three games appearing on Steam?
If I recall correctly, once you get a game greenlit, you can release freely on Steam? If that's true, Runesoft will probably also release RHEM Trilogy, which is a collection of the first three games. If you don't feel like waiting for that if/when it happens, it's available on Gamersgate for $10.

And yeah, it gets pretty insane, but all the puzzles are logical and fair. There's always some sort of hint at what you're supposed to do and where you're supposed to go, but sometimes you have to really pay attention to see it and understand it.

arcsig fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 8, 2015

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

This is reminding me of Sanitarium, which is good. I'm a giant baby when it comes to horror fps, I'm hoping I can handle an isometric horror game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

I am a little puzzled by the decision to show off a game whose main selling point is gorgeous topdown art with a trailer which is mostly an eye-level look at assets which are meant to be seen from a different perspective.

Still looking forward to it, though.