Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

nwin posted:

This is the Coast Guard's lounge thread. We can tell you a bit about joining and what it's like if you want, or feel free to contact myself via PM or whoever else is listed as a sponsor. It's still hard to get in due to high retention, but you can always give your local recruiter a shout and hopefully they'll tell you what you need to know.

Anyways, I figured we should probably have a new thread since it has been a loving year since the last one.

So yeah, sequestration, government shut-down, and everything else you can think of is dwelling on everyone. People say I'm in Operations as a Prevention Officer, but I don't see a whole lot of difference in day to day operations. Guys trying to do patrols on their boats probably see things a bit differently.

Countdown to transfer-about 9 months. Can't-loving-wait. Grass=always greener. Depending on where my next unit ends up being, I will look at getting out. But-who knows.

Edit: We need an update on Krispy-is he still alive or did he do what all the Chiefs predicted-die in a gutter because there is no life after the Coast Guard? This is important.

~civ life owns bitch~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

I'm sure the commandant must be thrilled that his cutters crews will simply 'discuss' how they would do man overboards and small boat ops. His whole proficiency thing is going right out the window.

You can do mob training at the pier.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Not very effectively.

Says you. It'd be a good morale boost to just shove someone over the side at the pier.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

What about me?

It's different when you get out on your own terms.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Well poo poo. :smith:

In good news I passed tape, not weight. This may not sound good, but last time weighed I was over and I was just at the body fat percentage limit. This time I was still 200, but lost 2 percent in body fat.

I am still a pale nerd thought...

I don't even remember the last time I weighed in. :catdrugs:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

sharkytm posted:

The last time you came over and the floor creaked.

WOW RUDE

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

I was SUPER confused as to when I made that post but man it brings a tear to my eye to know you respect me so much man I'm getting all emotional over here.

Hopefully your heart skips a beat. And keeps skipping them. :c00l:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Dose of the Clap posted:

I'm curious about the Coast Guard and I don't know anybody in it to get information from. I'm looking at it as a possibility after graduation to either make a career out of, or gain some experience in my field to transfer to the civilian market. By graduation, I will have two degrees and numerous IT certifications. I've seen online that there are officer positions in IT, but can't find any direct information. My joining would be solely contingent upon directly going to OCS after signing up, which I've heard is possible. If, for whatever reason, I don't qualify for OCS immediately, I do not want roped into a contract. No offense meant, but I really don't have any interest in starting at an E1 level. My wife is severely anti-military, mostly due to the prospect of deployment or long periods away from the family. Apart from the time spent in boot or OCS, I figured Coast Guard would be mostly stateside, but I know nothing about it. Any info?

Is this a real post? Don't join.

e: enlist with two degrees

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

This HuffPo article is pretty cool.

David Helvarg posted:

What he might have said is, "The Coast Guard can no longer remain a world-class maritime law-enforcement agency and armed service given the inadequate resources you now provide." That is, he could have sounded more like the heads of the other Armed Services when they testified with great theatricality about the impact of the sequester on them. But in Admiral Papp's case he'd have the added advantage of telling the truth. The Coast Guard is the only armed service that actually has no fat to cut. In fact it is being starved of lean muscle. And no one seems to care enough to rescue them.

MORE WITH LESS SEMPER P GUARDIANS

e: too bad it's HuffPo :(

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Here let me tell you the inside-scoop of the Coast Guard fleet:

Unless we get money, we are going to be hosed. The only silver lining in the CG future is that Marijuana might become federally legal, therefore making it worthless to smuggle.

Now you don't have to read HuffPo~

That's actually not a silver lining. Drug interdiction is a major point of justification for the continued existence of the CG. Anything that hurts those numbers hurts the CG.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Yeah, I don't know what the right answer is if we don't get money to do the things we need. Prevention, as far as my job goes-has been pretty much unaffected from what I've seen. However, response and all that poo poo? No idea, but it doesn't sound good.

I wish Papp would just throw his hands up in the air and say 'Our boats are loving old guys. Here, we'll shut down the ships since most of the old ones are on their last legs, and we'll just TAD most people to sectors and small boat stations where we have newer boats and can do Rec Boat safety and some LMR all day. gently caress the drugs, gently caress JIATF, and gently caress you! I'm out!'

Admiral Allen did that, and it ended with the CG getting more money. Allen also wasn't known for being an organization sycophant, the same cannot be said for Papp. The GOBC also didn't like Allen as far as I ever heard so don't expect another one like him to be in the chair for a while.

edit: I almost said "at the helm" but luckily I caught myself and smashed my head into the wall a dozen times to make sure I didn't.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Yeah, Allen took over shortly after I graduated boot camp, but I was a non-rate not paying attention to anything other than the A-school wait list, and I was on a Polar Roller doing a deep freeze patrol, so I was completely unaware of funding issues during that time.

I'm just really hoping for the next COMDT to know about all of our missions and not just "CUTTERMANCUTTERMANCUTTERMANCUTTERMAN"

You'd think a guy that has such a hard-on for CUTTER LIFE would have made a bit more serious attempt at funding the ship-based missions better, but everything I ever saw of budget issues was that the CG was asking for less money. I guess to avoid answering hard questions like: Why can't you ever pass an audit? Why is your poo poo always broken? Et cetera.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Add this to OP tia:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

No man, I mean she'll move to North Carolina to be with her family instead of come down to D8 for another hellish 3 years. Especially if it's loving Houma or Morgan City. gently caress that.

I really hope it's Morgan City.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Ouch bro-what did I do to you?

Nothing, man. No hard feelings at all. I just hope you get to experience the joys of Morgan City. :cheers:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Welp, Morgan City looks not so likely due to the quals I have just not being needed there. Port Arthur apparently has 4 billets and definitely could use me. Oh joy. The wife will be absolutely thrilled about a 2 hour move due east into an area full of refineries!

Done freaking out about it for the moment. Wife is heavily drunk at the moment so that's her way of coping for the night. Just gonna hope for the best and prep for the worst.

Told you to go to Alaska.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

(Whoever says "go join Quarterly Prophet" first is a legit sick gently caress)

No one is gonna elevate you to QP status ever.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

I laughed at this, then I felt guilty. Then again I have been joking with the other OS about all the bridge jumper calls I'm going to get on watch. :v:
(its me i'm the legit sick gently caress)

lmk when you get ptsd from relaying a message to sta golden gate about jumpers

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

I think everybody knew a BM2 Gomez. I don't think then one I knew was the one who's going to jail forever though.

Yup, saw that article the other day and laughed my rear end off. Anyone that knew him well should be completely unsurprised.

Re: note taking, though it's not illegal people that write down every time they're offended by someone are the loving worst and I really wish an early death on all of them. if it's legit poo poo that's cool but if some guy is bein a butthole then shove him down some stairs or put your dick in his butt to establish dominance w/e

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

krispykremessuck posted:

Re: note taking, though it's not illegal people that write down every time they're offended by someone are the loving worst and I really wish an early death on all of them. if it's legit poo poo that's cool but if some guy is bein a butthole then shove him down some stairs or put your dick in his butt to establish dominance w/e

I wrote this part when I was intensely drunk but I still agree with what I said, writing poo poo down without ever going to the command and just firebombing the old man's inbox with weird rear end anonymous letters or a list of so-called grievances is mincy fairy bullshit and instead you should put a bullet in it

not saying anyone here would do it, but I saw it a couple of times and it was always the most odious fuckin bullshit

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

why are you being so creepy and stalking the two ex-coasting in the coastie thread?
edit: its not even the same red text

this is a welcoming space everyone is allowed to read and post here

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

cis_admin

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Hearing the fishermen explain how the person fell overboard was depresing as gently caress. You could hear him cracking up over the radio. :smith:

Probably should claim PTSD for this.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

You are a real rear end in a top hat, not against me but against those who actually fo have ptsd. Like my dad.

You would also probably call me a bleeding vagina for trying to report a certain former QM turned OS for a racist loving comment on my ability to talk on the radio.

gently caress me for feeling guilt and gently caress me for having an accent.

Used to be you couldn't have an accent to be a TC/OS because of communication issues over radio, so I guess be glad they even let you do it? Either way man, settle the gently caress down before you have a stroke because of the internet (and crippling hispanic diabetes).

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Merry Christmas, scumbags

only a few days late

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Anyone happen to know how soon after I receive my orders I can request HHG?

My lease is up in April and the landlord doesn't want to extend me until June. Just trying to think of options that would get me out of paying to move all my poo poo to another place for three months before I pcs. If I get orders in March and can request hhg to put stuff into storage, then all is good. Otherwise I might be hosed. Just can't remember from the last time I pcsed.

No matter what you're entitled (or were, I guess it could have changed) to 180 days storage-in-transit. It won't stop them from calling you every day asking if you're ready to have your stuff dropped off yet, but you can set up the move on the website for whenever once you have orders.

It also won't stop your wife from trying to kill you since all of your poo poo will be broken and packed up for 3 months before you can get to it.

Where are you going? Morgan City?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Crash74 posted:

Wow, surprisingly this thread is more of a OS human being circle jerk than normal. Great Job!:jerkbag:

I'm sorry your rating sucks :(

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

You're an O, you don't have an open brow?

The M world is different.™

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Anyone's commands decide how they are going to implement group PT yet? Ours is in the process, but just saying we better workout 180 minutes/week on the honor system for now.

the honor system is the best way because no one gives a gently caress about group pt

disband the cg

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Do you honestly want to know? Its basically the most loving stupid thing done by an O ever that only my shop would get butt-hurt over.

did someone tell you moboards are dumb

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

Wow who the gently caress even are you? If you're going to come out of the woodwork and attempt a sick burn at least get your poo poo straight, or make fun of Airsoft or some other low hanging fruit.

was he wrong

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

The second to last OIC put me on "probation" for a ton of stupid poo poo that I should have fought but didn't (and of course on "probation" I was still Coxn, one of the only OODs, and Weps). So I basically had "one strike left" bullshit when the new OIC got there.

That final strike was when the OIC changed the armory into not an armory randomly and then tried to mast me for leaving the weapon safe open (which was 100% common practice so we could hand out guns to people for SAR and poo poo, since it was behind a locked door in a manned 24/7 space, with the OOD having the only key).

Needless to say he couldn't mast me after also being the one who wrote me up, but at this point I was tired of a solid year of bullshit and when the OIC (again, after realizing that he couldn't actually mast me) said well I guess that was technically a third strike, here's a completely honorable discharge.

so ultimate shrek fan was technically incorrect because he said vault, not safe?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

He was wrong because he implied that I actually did something wrong :)

idk man I wasn't at your station but I know it wasn't policy to leave the gunsafe or comsec safe unlocked unless someone was actively getting something out of it or putting something away regardless of whether the vault door was unlocked or not. v:shobon:v

I guess the big takeaway here is from personal experience people don't accidentally end up on performance probation (a real thing) and at least in the cases where I had to put people on it, it required a lot of cooperation between persdiv at least at the sector level w/ a lot of supporting documentation. i guess you just found the poo poo confluence where nobody ever asked "hey should this guy actually be on performance probation???" though and obviously did nothing wrong

Holland was a dirtbag though so at least you got kicked out by a dirtbag lol

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Even the hardiest most anal OSS3 would not bat an eye at an open safe in a maned space as long as people knew it was open.

Also lol at people not knowing a single thing about security.

the hardiest most anal OSS3 will also never be an CO/OIC of a smallboat station and thus never be in the situation of having to worry about his OIC qual getting yanked because some BM2 left some random poo poo unlocked

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

look at all those non coasties posting :allears:

Do smallboat stations get security inspections? the thought of a BMCM freaking the gently caress out because of security inspection makes me giggle like a hypersensitive puertorican anime girl.

yes, and OIC quals get yanked for dumb poo poo so they can be understandably jumpy about guns comsec and money

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

alright gents lets post up evals and LESs to see who has the most 7s and seatime

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

How do you propose to do live tissue training without ... live tissue?

I mean the real question is why the CG is doing it on its own in the first place, and not just piggybacking on a DoD program, but the first question is still valid.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

That's what I'm most surprised by. I figured we would just do some DoD training, not reinvent the wheel.

Unless this is part of the blackwater training? Never gone patforswa so p. much talking out of my rear end at this point.

It could be, it's a HuffPo article. They're not known for journalistic integrity, but it definitely reads as if its something the Coast Guard is doing itself. I have a hard time with the idea that I was in for 11 years and had my hands in close to just about everything the CG did and never once heard of this.

Including with PATFORSWA training.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Instead of using still living animals, how about humanely euthanized animals?

Can't really do live tissue training with dead animals. The point of live tissue training is that circulatory and nervous systems are still intact and functioning. The idea is to simulate as closely as possible to the real thing.

Think of training for BDS, but with actual blood and gore instead of goofy DCTT props. It's a really good way to train people, and to see who is going to pass out dealing with battle-dressing situations.

As a reminder, I don't really understand why the CG itself would be doing this either way. I just understand the utility and value of live tissue training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

It's too bad that when we get new posts in this thread that it's simply people attempting to troll me. I'm glad I am so important to the lot of you.

well I'm pretty sure you used vigo of carpathia as one of your models up there so uh ...

• Locked thread