Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
This seems like one of those shows that won't make complete sense until you get that zazen moment. Like FLCL, basically.

I am enamored with the Japanese spin on magical realism popularized by Murakami and ~*anime*~-tized by NisiOisiN; not only does this show scratch that itch, it's gorgeously animated and charming. It's a nice compliment to Kill la Kill: both have similar roots and love of sakuga animation; this show owes a lot to Miyazaki and Gekidan Inu Curry and KlK owes everything to Go Nagai stylistically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I thought Episode 4 was rather poignant myself, but maybe I'm a sucker for the innocent monster types.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I got suckered in to watching this when someone described it as like FLCL in the AOTY thread. It wasn't really like FLCL outside the first episode but man this show loving owned, glad I watched it

It's a gonzo, breakneck stylized magical realism show about growing up and family. It's close enough to FLCL. v:v:v

The last episode made me tear up, it was so sweet. The best kinds of magical realism stories are the ones that use the magic to get across the wonder of mundane living and this show does it in spades. It's also got an exciting world that I'd love to see more of.

Koto is the best daughter a suicidal, avoidant dad can have.

• Locked thread