Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

treat posted:

Except ungrounded wizards are far less likely to be struck by lightning than grounded wizards. :wotwot:

New anti thunderstorm tactic: Always Be Floating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I've found nothing but the sweetest joy using QQQ to push people into horrible AOE's of death- like thunderstorms and napalm.
Nothing more satisfying than a wizard running or teleporting out of such an effect, thinking he's ok, only to have me show up and hose him back into doom.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Water spray is incredibly strong, since you're not even able to [i]queue[/] elements while getting pushed around, let alone cast them. It's hard to judge the distances just right but if you can walk forward while water spraying someone into a wall, then slam down an ARE or RRE wall right on top of them, you've basically rendered them helpless.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Ferrinus posted:

Water spray is incredibly strong, since you're not even able to [i]queue[/] elements while getting pushed around, let alone cast them. It's hard to judge the distances just right but if you can walk forward while water spraying someone into a wall, then slam down an ARE or RRE wall right on top of them, you've basically rendered them helpless.

Exactly that - it's a bit difficult to catch people in just that right position, but especially with the help of a team the combination can be devastating.
Being unable to queue spells while getting hosed is one of the most potent aspects of the combo, and triggering the full knockdown with enough of a QQQ duration makes the kills difficult to miss- short of your victim teleporting out before they freeze.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is anyone not able to log in thanks to the code:pony error? I think it has something to do with my mail having the "_" character, for some reason I can log with my other mail, but I don't get the items my actual account is supposed to have...

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Is anyone not able to log in thanks to the code:pony error? I think it has something to do with my mail having the "_" character, for some reason I can log with my other mail, but I don't get the items my actual account is supposed to have...

I've seen many a code, but never 'pony'.
Let us know if you find out what the cause is?

Also - toss me or one of the other goons an invite/message to get in on the steam group!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Looking through the Paradox Forums it seemed like the solution was tell the developers something is messed up and send them their information. Either way, your Pony problem is probably best solved over there.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Is it supposed to take a while to get in a game, or am I missing something? Steam gives me a product key, but I haven't been asked to enter it anywhere. Could that be it?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Nah, the product key is for redemption. Go here: https://wizardwars.com/redeem

As for taking a while to get in a game, unless you're having internet issues with the game severs, keep in mind that this is an Alpha and doesn't have the largest player population around.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Krysmphoenix posted:

Nah, the product key is for redemption. Go here: https://wizardwars.com/redeem

As for taking a while to get in a game, unless you're having internet issues with the game severs, keep in mind that this is an Alpha and doesn't have the largest player population around.

Also bear in mind the servers have been, honestly, somewhat unreliable of late.

That said - message any of the other goons in this thread - or myself - on steam, for an invite to the steam group. We're all a part of it so far as I know.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Supposedly they've figured out which interaction between Steam and their own matchmaking causes the most common errors and can fix it in a couple weeks. Til then, it seems to help to A) verify the game cache through Steam to get missing files and B) restart Steam after you start getting Hagfish/Sloth errors. I've found the Europe server is often up when the others aren't turning up any games.

Also, from their forums it sounds like they're brainstorming ways to cut down on the dominance of water spray/ice spam, which will be cool. There aren't enough ways to shield against that stuff as is.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
If anyone wants to play or watch some games, I'm streaming now on twitch, also I'm in the CTS mumble server :D

http://www.twitch.tv/twingecrag

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Don't mean to doublepost, but there was a huge patch released today with some large balance changes!

quote:

29th October 2013

*You can now choose your (permanent) Wizard name, choose carefully as this will be the name that will be yours until the sky falls and the world ends! (Yup, THAT long)

*IMPressive Imps have made an appearance! The Imps have now finished their top-tier elite VIP imp-training and have now been deemed well-mannered enough to grace our battlefields. You will begin to see some new names appearing (at least one will be familiar to our IMPressive founders!).

*Oodles of spell buffs, nerfs, tweaks and changes. Check the more in depth list below.

[balance] Barriers are now VERY vulnerable to beams and sprays. Our budding builders will have to think of new tactics to dodge these spells.
[balance] Elemental sprays cancel opposite Elemental Walls quicker.
[balance] Decreased Haste speed and Duration. Usain Bolt can now rest easy again.
[balance] Increased Meteor Strike Duration and amount of Meteors.
[balance] Increased Stone Prison duration. Now with added extra "I'm in a stone case of emotion" fun!
[balance] Increased Tactical Dragon Strike cast time, reduced Tactical Dragon Strike damage to sane levels. Dragons successfully tamed. Somewhat.
[balance] Increased Lightning AoE damage. Thor is pleased.
[balance] Decreased Steam spray damage.
[balance] Increased Fire and Cold spray damage.
[balance] Increased Ice projectile damage (including life component). Let the snowball fights begin!
[balance] Decreased Heal from life+lightning walls.

[trainingground] Cast Magick task in training ground changed to Thunderstorm.

[imp] IMPressive pack Imp names are now in the game.
[imp] Login imp texture tweak
[imp] Login screen imp silenced (dont feel sorry for him, he actually enjoys it)

[wizardname] Wizard name strings updated
[wizardname] Slightly improved feedback when the profile failed to be created.
[wizardname] Remove friend list elements that are not used on offline users.
[wizardname] Limit wizard name input to 16 characters.
[wizardname] Now setting it directly after logging in instead of in the menu.

[persistence] Fixed tokens on game server.

[telemetry] Fix for transactions on release.
[telemetry] Send login screen error messages.
[telemetry] Now logging client error messages. Minor gui fix.

[logging] Rotated logs now contain a consistent id in filename, plus starts with build and date info.

[network] Server no longer sends anything to itself (except in LAN server-client special case)

[melee] Attack movement fix part 2
[melee] Attack movement fix

[network] Removed sending stuff from server to self.

[login server]: Re-fetch store items when updating token due to timeout.
[store server]: Retry offers.

[transactions] Fixed token id on live.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

TwingeCrag posted:

Don't mean to doublepost, but there was a huge patch released today with some large balance changes!

Oh this update is lovely - but the ballgagged imp tops it all!
Sham he doesn't try to yelp and just mumbles instead.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you purchase this game on Steam do you get any sort of additional key to give out, or is it just the one?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Countblanc posted:

If you purchase this game on Steam do you get any sort of additional key to give out, or is it just the one?

So far as I know only the impressive pack comes with additional keys - 3 of them to be precise.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

This might be worth looking in to for those of you that are trying to get a handle on the game:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=186205747#159711

Consider linking it in the OP or making our own updated version? So far as I can tell, this does NOT reflect the most recent patch changes, most notably (to me at least) being that Beam attacks now cut through Rock barriers in a matter of moments - making for a more distinct advantage/counter in regards to beam/projectile vs shield/barrier.

The link above brings some neat little revelations, things that I was not aware of like:
Earth ward provides plain old physical protection - against melee!
Earth ward makes you IMMUNE to pushback/knockdown!! << This one here is a HUGE deal vs people that love to spam waterhoses.

There's also some still-relevant suggestions as to healing - healing wall, healing mines, set it all off with an AOE - etc.

A very neat little writeup overall! It also links to:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=186749357

By-the-numbers breakdown of every spell combination in the game! What we've all been hoping for!

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 1, 2013

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Holy poo poo this game is frustrating to play if you've never played Magicka before. Run into people in matchmaking who're way better and know the game inside out but deliberately won't end the match so they can farm you.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

tekz posted:

Holy poo poo this game is frustrating to play if you've never played Magicka before. Run into people in matchmaking who're way better and know the game inside out but deliberately won't end the match so they can farm you.

They really need to make Revive only target friendlies. I get that it's wacky to accidentally rez an enemy, but I don't think the 1/100 games where you do that is worth it for letting the other team rez you and kill you over and over.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

tekz posted:

Play with other goons in mumble, we will turn you into a spell slinging badass eventually.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Here's the patch coming out tomorrow:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?734280-Patch-Notes-for-12th-November-2013

quote:

Big things:
1. Projectile rebalancing: Projectiles now travel a very short distance and do little damage if they are spammed. Barriers are also beefed up a bit. This was a hot topic on the forum, let us know how the new versions are! Don't forget no spell/Magick/comination is ever at a "complete" stage, we will constantly balance based on our observations and your feedback.
2. Bug/Crashfixes. Lots of them, general stability should be improved. A server memory leak killed (YAY!)
3. Added support for non-latin characters. Привет нашим русским друзьям!

Little (but still very very awesome) things:
[balance] Decreased projectile initial velocity. Decreased projectile uncharged damage. Slight increase of projectile cast time. Decrease of projectile maximum charge time.
[balance] Tweaked barrier defense values.
[balance] Fixing "on mine explode" after server disconnect crash issue - Introducing new nop delegate used after server has disconnected in order to handle (or not, as it were) events on server owned units
[balance] Hot, steamy, wet status fixes. IE steam doesn't make water resistant targets wet anymore.
[balance] Tweaked speed/health values on items and gave every item its proper elemental bonus
[balance] Fix for area shields not unspawning on colliding with other area shields

There's also some server/sound/text stuff. I hope the changes they've made to projectiles refer to both rocks and ice shards!

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

They nerfed earth because throwing rocks at nerds never gets old, i guess!

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
What's the quickest way to freezelock someone? Also is this the best thing to do if you're 1v1 unless they're shielded for that element?

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 17, 2013

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Hit them with a DRR or just an ice beam/spray, teleport over to them, selfcast DDD to knock them down, then slam down an ASE or ARE wall right on top of them.

The hosed up thing about chill right now is that it slows down all your animations, including those for falling over or getting up, so if you get knocked over while you're even moderately chilled it's a death sentence.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Oh so that's what that was. Self-cast DDD is kind of unintuitive, sounds like I'm bringing rocks down on me own wizard noggin

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

tekz posted:

Oh so that's what that was. Self-cast DDD is kind of unintuitive, sounds like I'm bringing rocks down on me own wizard noggin

It's only intuitive if you're used to the original Magicka. Wizard Wars doesn't have any flatly bad newbie trap spells (except life armor, but they're going to be fixing that as far as I know) - selfcast always translates into "give self the positive effects of this element, and radiate the negative effects of this element outward in a point blank AoE". That's why fire selfcast dries you off but sets everything around you on fire.

New patch, also!

November 19th 2013 Patch Notes posted:

Hello,

So, the Weapon Abilities won the vote!
We have been working on adding them to the game and here's a first pass - please give feedback!

You use them by holding down RMB without any conjured elements, IE charging your weapon just like you would charge a projectile. There's a sound and particle effect on the weapon tip when the ability is available. You can then unleash the special attack by releasing the mousebutton.
We have the Fast Vendetta Dagger which can be thrown, the Default Blade that has a combo move, the Founders Sabre has a wicked stab with a pushback.

We overhauled the Settings Screen and made it accessible from the login screen.
Also, you should be able to switch languages from inside the game client now.

The "Pony" Errors should hopefully be a thing of the past, your items should should be fixed as you log in.

Detailed Patch notes below.

Best Regards!
/Paradox North Dev Team

AI
- Corpses now fall to the ground if the NPC dies in the air. We can be BFFs with Newton again!
- Push/In-Air animations have been updated and look generally 200% better (give or take).

ANIMATIONS
- Wizards being knockdown on their backs added. But they get up again. You're never gonna bring 'em down.
- Shortened the recovery time for the pushed state.

BALANCE
- Tightened the Ice Projectile damage cone, increased the minimum Ice Projectile range.
- Increased Life Barrier healing, decreased Life Mine healing.
- Reduced Arcane damage from Elemental Walls (ASE).

BUGFIXES
- Disconnected players should now show up as disconnected again. Logic!
- No more upside down countdown-numbers when you disconnect from the game server before match begins. M.C Escher turns in his grave.
- Only persist valid loadout.
- Settings crash fix.
- Respawn text crash fix.
- AI death crash fix.

MAGICKS
- Updated Revive Magick description to clarify that it heals living targets for 500HP.

MENU
- New awesome (we double checked with the council, it is indeed awe-some) scrollbar!
- Proper menu state transistions.
- IMProved GUI-clipping.
- Pressing [ESCAPE] in the main menu leads to the Landing Page, pressing it in the Landing Page leads to the Settings Screen.
- Pressing an already selected menu button reverts you to the menu Landing Page.
- Redeem button ingame! Press it to go to the website via Steam Overlay.
- RSS-feed slide tweaks.
- Settings screen now has a close button.

SOUND
-IMProved sound mix.

WEAPONS
- Sound tweaks and fixes, new base assets.
- Weapon abilities for Default Blade, Founder's Sabre, Vendetta Dagger and Bearded Axe added!

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Dang knockbacks are crazy. This one guy was unkillable with just selfcasting QQQ and heal mines if anyone got close and just selfcast shields to counter beams from longrange. Taking people on 1v3.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I'm really enjoying this game so far but I hope it doesn't hit its peak in alpha/beta and gets ruined when it goes live by whatever microtransaction model they implement like Bloodline Champions, my ex favourite battle arena with spells game.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
The patch that put an :siren:actual ingame item store:siren: that you can spend all your wonderful crowns on is now live, which means I'm gonna be grinding other wizards against some rocks until I can use this flintlock pistol :black101:

edit: crowns are incredibly easy to get, yay

TwingeCrag fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 3, 2013

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I played this for the first time last night with a friend. It's a lot of fun but the long wait times at 9 pm central ruined it after awhile. Even more frustrating when we got against a team who were obviously organized and experienced that stomped us instantly and we got a fantastic zero coins/exp for our trouble. Back into the five minute plus queue.

Which servers are more populated? Getting humiliated wouldn't be so bad if we could just jump into the next game.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

This could be dumb, but how do you access the Training Grounds again after the tutorial? I didn't play the original Magicka so I'd like to get some practice with the controls and figure out some combinations without seven other players in the same map.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
I THINK it's just lose hard for a while until you figure it out. Deep end, so to speak.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

USEast is pretty active right at this time. The most important thing to learn is how to defend yourself, and there are a few pretty good guides on Steam about it. As long as you know how to stop whatever's coming at you, you can buy yourself time to think.

When in doubt, put on DDE armor, put an E bubble shield around you, put a WED lifewall in front of you, and WWW heal yourself. If someone's throwing lightning at you, make a QE water wall (or an FE or RE or AE - any kind of non-rock elemental curtain) between yourself and them.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 20, 2013

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
Ferrinus just beat me in like a minute flat, so he probably knows something about it :v:

I think the biggest mistake I've been making is sitting on a beam first thing instead of getting early defense set up.

e: also not playing in a group. 2 people easily beat one, and most of the time retreat is just flatout better to a bigger group unless you're some kind of home row demigod

e2: totally uninformed opinions

feedtheid fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 20, 2013

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

When in doubt, wear a DRE or a DDE ward. Rocks are the one kind of attack you can't immediately and obviously see coming, and charged ones hurt. Also, weapon attacks deal earth damage - with DDE on, you can ignore imps. Also, wearing any rock armor at all immunizes you against knockdown.

1v2s aren't lost causes - it's really hard to win, but it's very much possible to stall. Just wall and shield and heal whenever you can. Right now, holding down a WWW for a channeled self heal will eventually outperform a WED + WWE lifewall + lifemines combo, but you should definitely be behind walls and shields and such while you're doing it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I am always looking for someone to play this with.

Anyone playing tonight, like right now?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

KoRMaK posted:

I am always looking for someone to play this with.

Anyone playing tonight, like right now?

I should make a point of hopping on this a little more often as is.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I can't believe no one plays this :(

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

DarkDobe posted:

I should make a point of hopping on this a little more often as is.

Vanadium posted:

I can't believe no one plays this :(

Yea, add me on steam. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197968596733/ I'd like to play this game at least once a week for an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

tekz posted:

I'm really enjoying this game so far but I hope it doesn't hit its peak in alpha/beta and gets ruined when it goes live by whatever microtransaction model they implement like Bloodline Champions, my ex favourite battle arena with spells game.

It's being published by Paradox, right? They'll probably be okay.

What Funcom did to Bloodline Champions makes me about as mad as I ever get about video games, though. God, what a waste.

• Locked thread