Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

It's not that much faster, actually!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Vanadium posted:

It's not that much faster, actually!

Yeah you can typically just throw 2 almost fully charged DRRs at people and it'll freeze them. Rarely worth it to start tossing water at them. Note that a lot of the time you don't even want to freeze people completely, just make their movements really slow so they can't do much to defend themselves from other attacks.

I don't think the freezing mechanic is very well thought out. Some people never manage to break out before I can blow them up, and others pull it off every time. I don't really like the whole "mash to thaw" system, especially since some people will eventually start using macros to break out of ice instantly. I don't know how to fix it, though. I don't think freezing should be an instant kill, but it shouldn't be inferior to just leaving your opponent almost frozen.

edit: also, what damage type is steam?

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 4, 2014

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It took me a while to realize how strong DDD was. When you just start playing it feels like it takes forever to charge, but if you can land one on a soft target the damage is beastly.

Here's how chill works: if you take ~250 (I think) points of cold damage without thawing out, you'll freeze solid. If you're wet, you take double damage from cold and lightning for 0.5 seconds starting from when you first take cold or lightning damage. It takes two fully charged DRR iceballs to freeze someone, but if someone's wet it'll take a single DRR to freeze them solid. Since you barely have to charge DQ or QRQ to land one on someone, it's technically faster to go DQ -> DRR instead of DRR -> DRR if you're trying to freeze someone, although the latter deals more total damage.

I'm not entirely sure how steam's damage interacts with most wards. I can tell you for sure that if you wear a !QFE ward you'll take no damage from steam, but I don't know if steam is normally classed as completely or partially "fire" damage.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Today's patch is delayed until tomorrow, which is unfortunate because apparently it's going to be the first big balance update in a while.

In other news: https://www.paradoxplaza.com/magicka-2-learn-to-spell-again

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Whats a ward? I use the hell out of applying cold and arcane to rock walls, and then the same to shield walls to make blow-up mines. Are either of those wards?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

A ward is the colored glyph around a wizard's feet. You put one on by self-casting a spell including Shield and one or two other elements.

EDD + right click = summon a rock wall in front of you.

EDD + middle click = put on a heavy suit of rock armor that makes you immune to physical damage from rocks and weapons.

It's criminal that the tutorial does not explain this, wards are absolutely critical to the game.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

A ward is the colored glyph around a wizard's feet. You put one on by self-casting a spell including Shield and one or two other elements.

EDD + right click = summon a rock wall in front of you.

EDD + middle click = put on a heavy suit of rock armor that makes you immune to physical damage from rocks and weapons.

It's criminal that the tutorial does not explain this, wards are absolutely critical to the game.
Oh yea I totally do those. Shield plus water when it's raining allows you to cast lightning stuff.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
One element in a ward gives you 50% protection and immunity to its status (if any). Two of a kind in a ward will give you complete immunity to an element at cost of diversity.

I usually just throw up an ESF on myself at the beginning of a battle and adapt as necessary. Fire and Arcane seem to be some of the most common elements, and this way you're immune to being set on fire, which makes up most of fire spells' actual damage. Another nice one is WWE, which helps you when you're out of combat by regenerating your HP slowly. Earth wards let you literally shrug off physical damage, but you move more slowly with them on.

Wards only last 15 seconds or so, but they take something like half a second to cast, so there's never a reason not to have one on. There's nothing quite like standing in a flame jet an oblivious newbie is sending at you and watching the "immune" messages pop up as you prepare a rock.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I should really play magicka wars. I love the last game but got it way late in it's life and only got to co-op locally with real life friends like once or twice a month *pffft*

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Why did they have to say it's MOBA? I know that's technically right but I can't get any of my friends to play it with me because they think it's a DOTA/LOL clone :argh:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Say it's an exploding people simulator. And maybe show them the demo of the first game so they can get acquainted with how the magic system works without people blasting them all the time. When I tried to get my friend into Wizard Wars, he was pretty discouraged with the pace, since he was still remembering which key was which element.

Wait, the demo doesn't have multiplayer enabled, does it? Maybe at least try to invite them for some duels, then. Say it's an exploding people simulator. Though I really feel the first game does a better job conveying the sense of ultimate power at your fingertips with how easy it is to hit for several thousand damage. :unsmigghh:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
When the servers work, this game is really fun. I love dueling people, even though occasionally I get matched up against someone who actually knows what he's doing who just crushes my face in like five seconds.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Here are some useful defensive postures in the current patch, i.e. situations to set up in order to buy time while channeling !WWW to heal:

-While wearing an !EDD ward, stand under a !E shield bubble.

-While wearing basically whatever ward, get behind a WED wall.

-While wearing an !EFF ward, stand behind an EDF wall.

-While wearing an ESS ward, stand behind an EDS wall.

Realizing the wall in their face will explode for significant damage can give a lot of aggressors pause, and it'll absorb at least a half second of fire in any case. Now that elementally-charged walls are immune to their own element, putting up the right one can be incredibly useful.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 18, 2014

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

It's a shame this game isn't getting more attention, it's quite fun. And it doesn't play anything like a MOBA, for which I am eternally grateful.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh, this isn't like the original game. No controller support.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
I love this game but I've been getting constant crashes and disconnects, have they managed to patch those up yet?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

There was a really prevalent crash bug like... two weeks ago? That involved spawning imps. That's since been fixed, and I haven't really had any serious crashes since then. I get what feels like decent connectivity, too, although it still happens fairly often that what looked like a dead-on boulder attack actually did no damage.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

So there's been an enormous balance patch this week and a ton of content added over the last few months. Lightning's back to being really powerful, chain quaking is no longer possible, cold affinity is no longer overpowered... also, if you're lucky you could get one of these as a daily login reward:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Someone please play wizards with me tia

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Send me a friend invite or request here:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ameatpopsicle/

And I'll give you the invite to the goon steam group here:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wussenterprises

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

DarkDobe posted:

Send me a friend invite or request here:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ameatpopsicle/

And I'll give you the invite to the goon steam group here:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wussenterprises

I'm already in the group AND I'm your friend :monocle: My nick is the weird symbol with the fox avatar.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I play this sucker daily... except for the next two weeks when I'll be out of the country. I can give good advice, though...?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
So apparently the marketing machine has gone overdrive and there's a shitload of gear giveaways going on at the moment. I have seen Razor, Alienware Gamespot, MMOBomb and RPS all running giveaways of what seem to be unique stuff so if you are into the game or looking for an excuse to get into it, now might be a good time.

Edit: Oh and I guess there's also an anniversary imp skin on the store for only one gold.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 18, 2014

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I'm getting back into this game and it's more fun than ever. The free fire set is pretty nice.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Are there no true Wizards among ye?
I've been playing this almost daily and only ever run into one goon with any regularity.

Join me in glorious suicidecombat!

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Played a bit of this game again and it's still good. I feel like it just suffers from the fact that the games are so short and disjointed that there's no real "pull" to keep you coming back to it. This thread kinda proves that since everyone thinks the game is great but no one really posts about it.

Leveling is slow and the matches are short and intense, so it's exhausting to play this game for anything longer than like half an hour. The combat is fun, but it isn't enough to make the game on its own. This game feels like a phone game or something. Not that that's a problem, but I doubt that's what the devs were going for.

Maybe there should be like a bigger, 5v5 or 10v10 gamemode that requires like a 20-40 minute commitment. Add some lulls between combat encounters to make the game less exhausting to play, and a longer term goal other than "go to nearest capture point and kill anything near it". Some progression elements in a single match could be nice, though I wouldn't want this game to be another dotalike. I don't know.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

A game mode featuring longer matches with more defined beginnings and ends would be cool, although I'd rather see them delete an element from the game than add any kind of in-match leveling up.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Maybe some towers down a narrow road you have to destroy on your way to an enemy base.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

How the hell do the bonus chests work? I thought if I open it, then win five games, I'll have a higher chance when I log in again next week and open my next chest, but today it shows the multiplier as empty. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Vanadium posted:

How the hell do the bonus chests work? I thought if I open it, then win five games, I'll have a higher chance when I log in again next week and open my next chest, but today it shows the multiplier as empty. :saddowns:

The multiplier resets every day/opening.

Play some games to build your multiplier, then open your chest.

The multiplier resets every time you open a chest, or on the next day, whichever is sooner.

You can build your multiplier, open a chest, and then build your multiplier for TOMORROW, for example, but it will reset if you don't use it within that next reset period.

Its a daily reward not a weekly one.

• Locked thread