Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
They'll retrofit when there's room and cash. Remember they use the private income. And make sure your design hasn't been auto-replaced or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
That was really fun to read. Thanks Grey.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Best part is when they retrofit, they use your starbases, so you get paid for it. It's one of the easier ways to get money out of your private sector.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

nimby posted:

Best part is when they retrofit, they use your starbases, so you get paid for it. It's one of the easier ways to get money out of your private sector.

Yep. Need to extract funds from the private sector? Design huge rear end mining stations, open the ship list, manually order the retrofitting of all mining bases, receive massive cash infusion. Then you can revert back to the regular design and order them all back to that design so that the maintenance doesn't kill them.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

PittTheElder posted:

Yep. Need to extract funds from the private sector? Design huge rear end mining stations, open the ship list, manually order the retrofitting of all mining bases, receive massive cash infusion. Then you can revert back to the regular design and order them all back to that design so that the maintenance doesn't kill them.

Capitalism! :911:

Though I do sometimes wonder how a Hive Mind society has a private sector.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654822

Advance Tactic Gold LP is now up.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Neruz posted:

Note that civilian freighters seem to be allergic to retrofitting so if you start in the Age of Shadows you will be stuck with a bunch of civilian freighters with no FTL drives pootleing around your home system. I assume they eventually will retrofit a warp drive or die in a pirate attack but its kind of funny watching these lines of STL guys crawling across space.

Remember that they also have to, you know, get to a starbase to refit. So if they're departing your home planet to a gas station across the system, they don't even have a chance to refit until they get all the way back. And if you made them super slow as well...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Another reason why Age of Shadows sucks unless you're some kind of masochist.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I tend to find it reasonable, but then, I constantly play Securans, so I somehow don't get hassled much. It's just slow.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Neruz posted:

Note that civilian freighters seem to be allergic to retrofitting so if you start in the Age of Shadows you will be stuck with a bunch of civilian freighters with no FTL drives pootleing around your home system. I assume they eventually will retrofit a warp drive or die in a pirate attack but its kind of funny watching these lines of STL guys crawling across space.

Given that the Age of Shadows happened after a golden age in the first place, they're correct in assuming that all this FTL junk is a fad and will be over by the time they make their trade run anyway.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Veloxyll posted:

Remember that they also have to, you know, get to a starbase to refit. So if they're departing your home planet to a gas station across the system, they don't even have a chance to refit until they get all the way back. And if you made them super slow as well...

I've seen several of them go into a starbase and then come out without FTL engines. Upon closer inspection it does appear that they are very slowly retrofitting to have warp bubbles, it seems like one out of every ten or so decides to retrofit when they reach a starbase. The civilian economy has shittons of money (in fact I think I might use that mining base retrofit thing to pull some credits out of it, they don't need that much money) so it's not that, I think some of the freighters just don't feel like retrofitting just yet.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Are you marking their current models as obsolete? I tend to leave them with only one buildable model, and they retrofit just fine.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Wonderful LP, Grey. Thanks. Hail Ghana!

ManicMarine
Oct 9, 2012
Sorry to rip up the last page with a complaint but I noticed the link to the last update in the OP is broken.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Nice LP - good idea, good execution (as always). Thanks for running it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Great LP man, really enjoyed reading it.

Groly
Nov 4, 2009
Grey, it's been a fantastic ride. Looking forward to the next LP.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Quick and dirty:

Thanks for the wild ride!

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Thanks for one heck of a crazy ride, Grey!

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Great fun there, and this lp led me to get the game and thoroughly enjoy it!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Decoy Badger posted:

Quick and dirty:

The croctapus in the well.....

Amazing.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Decoy Badger posted:

Quick and dirty:

Please tell me that's a miniature Death Star.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Valiantman posted:

The baby croctapuses are pushing cows into a hole in the ground as well.....

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Grey Hunter posted:

Wouldn't it be croctopi?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Grey Hunter posted:

They are learning to imitate their father figure.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Valiantman posted:

Yup, right next to the Kaaba building block. The only other things not mentioned so far are the Fosters and the eyepatch. Too bad Ghanan Australia was not meant to be.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Oh man it's got everything. Well done grey, it was another great LP!

Sorry for crapping out with the stories so early, started a new job and suddenly didn't have the time on my hands I used to. Hopefully you guys thought they were good!

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Decoy Badger posted:

Yup, right next to the Kaaba building block. The only other things not mentioned so far are the Fosters and the eyepatch. Too bad Ghanan Australia was not meant to be.

Hah, I did wonder what the block was. That's brilliant. :D

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

nimby posted:

Wouldn't it be croctopi?

Croctopodes. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandHound
Jun 8, 2013

It Doesn't Matter If You're Alone.
This has been a beautiful LP. Thanks a ton Grey!

• Locked thread