Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

You asked for it, So here it is. My attempt at doing a Paradox games Mega-campaign – that is, Crusader Kings II, Europa Universals IV, then most likely Victoria II and then we'll see.

So what makes this different to all the other Paradox LP's out there?

Nothing. Just my own style and quirks. I will be following some ground rules – I shall be roleplaying each king depending on their stat's – so If I get a paranoid lunatic, then heads will roll, while a pacifist will see a time of building.
I'll be playing the base game, so I can make use of the CKII-EUIV converter. I won't be using the Sunset invasion, as I don't own it and it can be a quick end if your in the wrong place.

I WANT TO FORM THE POPULIST PARTY!

Nope, there will be no parties or things like that, at least, not until the government changes – I may introduce them later, but for now it will be just me, running whatever we select into the ground.

Who shall we be playing?

This is where you will have an imput – while we could take over a know dynasty, there seem to be no fun in that – we should start this with our own man!

First up we should pick some territory – This is what Europe looks like in 867AD, the Old Gods starting period.

Click here for the full 1754x1754 image

We can Replace any King, Duke or Count. Wiping them from the Greyverse and replacing them with our chosen man and his offspring.

Then we can move on to this sheet.

This is the ruler designer, we can give our man his stats, culture and most importantly his name.

I'm going to beg off as lazy here, as going through all the nations and stat combinations would take forever, and not help people who have not played the game – therefore, I shall leave the suggestions to those who have played the game.
Playing as a count will be more challenging than a king, but its up to people to set me their own challenge.

Please submit your suggestion in the following format.

quote:

Name and lands of character

A short bio of the character (He is a reckless and gluttonous man)

Picture(s) of all three pages of the character generator, if you want a certain look or coat of arms. Or just the stats if you don't care about the others.

When you put in a contender, please put his name in bold in one of the columns. Then if you wish to vote for that character, put your user
name below it – You can change your vote and vote for your own guy, but this method stops me having the trawl the thread for votes, and stops it being cluttered up.

Please remember, we will be stuck with the family name for a long time.

The Family Tree

As our character will come into the world with just his name, I shall attempt to keep a family tree of the dynasty. I will not track incoming people beyond the country of origin and their status (princess of France for example.), and I will most likely not follow all the daughters who get married out. but it should create an interesting document, even if its only possible to do the main trunk.

MAWAH HA HA HA - yeah, with the ogoonu, this was a stupid, stupod idea.

We are playing as Ghana!

Updates

Crusader Kings II

867-870, The rise of Dongu Ogoona.
870-886, A Dynasty built on Infidelity.
887-900, Ogoona Lust.
900-919, Fractured states
920-939, The Day the Earth Shook.
940-959, Three Mansas.
960-979, the Unification.
980-999, The Bassarou Uprising.
1000-1019, Kabayo the Great.
1020-1039, The first Golden Age.
1040-1059, Civil Works
1060-1079, An embarressing series of wars.
1080-1099, Effeminate, for an Ogoonu.
1100-1119, Slow Gains in the north.
1120-1139, The Sahlien Reformation.
1140-1169, The Counter Holy War.
1160-1179, The Time of Trouble
1180-1199, The Duru Revolt.
1200-1219, Fadazu the Fat.
1220-1239, The First Sultana.
1240-1259, The War of the Assassins.
1260-1279, The Rise of Bongo the Wise.
1280-1299, Ogoonu's Ascendant.
1300-1319, A succession of viscous wars.
1320-1339, Sultana Nana of Ghana & the founding of the Ghanan Empire.
1340-1359, The Ill-ruler.
1360-1379, Ghana ever expanding.
1380-1399, Holding the Line.
1400-1425, A most painful cure.
1426-1443, This nation, it is a changing...

Europa Universalis IV
1444, A Brave New world Ghana.
1444-1459, Protectorates and wars.
1460-1479, Lost Ground.
1480-1499, The Reconquest.
1500-1519, The Abbyssinian Expansion.
1520-1539, Damned Italians!
1540-1559, The Abbasids Strike Back.
1560-1579, The Calm before the Storm.
1580-1599, A Brave new world.
1600-1619, The Storm.
1620-1639, An ever expanding world view.
1640-1659, Holding Ground.
1660-1679, The Empire Strikes Back.
1680-1699, Westernization
1700-1719, Foreign wars and alliances.
1720-1739, The eternal foes.
1740-1759, Some long needed revenge.
1760-1779, Eastern Expansions
1780-1799, For the Pretty borders faction!!!!
1800-1819, The rise of the Alliances
1820-1835, Industrialization and expansion.

Victoria II

1836-1839 - Well Wishers everywhere!
1840-1844 - Freeing the Slaves.
1845-1849 - Democracy comes to Ghana.
1850-1854 - All the world against Ghana.
1855-1859 - An enforced peace and the beginning of a new Ghana.
1860-1864 - Revolution and counter-revolution.
1865-1869 - The return of Democracy and colonial expansions.
1870-1874 - A poor showing.
1875-1879 - Colonial expansion.
1880-1884 - The Road To War.
1885-1889 - War & Taxes.
1890-1894 - The Great War.
1895-1899 - Containment.
1900-1904 - Another round of buildup.
1905-1909 - A nice quick war.
1910-1914 - Rapid Expansions.
1915-1919 - A time of peace and prosperity.
1920-1924 - A Communist Spanner in the works.
1925-1929 - The Norwegian expulsion.
1930-2099 - The Arabian War and interlude.

Distant Worlds
2100-2104 - First steps into space.
2105-2109 - Pirates and the race to hyperdrives.
2110-2114 - A brave new Galaxy.
2115-2119 - The Age of Pirates.
2120-2124 - Diplomatic contacts.
2125-2129 - Ever more pirates.
2130-2134 - Holding it together.
2135-2139 - At least we're not an independent!
2140-2144 - Turning the pirate tide.
2145-2149 - A refugee explosion.
2150-2154 - The Great War begins.
2155-2159 - A heroic, desperate offensive.
2160-2164 - From the dark times, Ghana rises.
2165-2169 - The war drags on.
2170-2174 - The second great expansion.
2175-2179 - Liberation and reconquest
2180-2184 - A much needed lull.
2185-2189 - Ghana on the offensive.
2190-2194 - Strike and counterstrike.
[url=http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573513&pagenumber=124#post432911954]2195-2199 - The New Guardians.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Then someone better come up with a Welsh character and get the voting on the sheet. 'Cos I'm not counting anything in the thread.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

AfroSquirrel posted:

Never lock that spreadsheet. Once the LP gets going, it will become a tapestry of the latest Grey Hunter saga.

Well, some people have to much time on their hands.

Also, we have something of a problem. It seems that you lot can't read some simple instructions!

You see, I didn't say vote for a country, I said vote for a country AND a character. and although Ghana is winning, I have no idea who I would be playing!

Get a bloody character suggestion in!

Stupid newbies

On the other hand, if CKII+ works with the converter, I shall be moving over to that!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 6, 2013

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

To be fair, on page 2 people hadn't even realised there was a spreadsheet :p

Yeah, am I really THAT bad at spelling?

Screw it, I'm going back and putting sirens by it.

:siren: Votes in this thread count for nothing, stop posting them!:siren: The whole point of the sheet is to stop pages of votes!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 6, 2013

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Voting, Such as it was, is now over.

You guys suck at following instructions, so We shall be Dongu Ogoona of Ghana!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Europe, 867AD.

During this time Europe was undergoing a period of massive change, Vikings raid England and the northern European countries, the remains of Charlemagne's empire is now three separate countries, all looking to reform the whole. The Roman Empire continues in the east fighting the Muslims who seek to expand their land and spread their religion, meanwhile, internal strife once more strikes the Empire.

This is not our story, at last not yet.

In Africa, a new leader has come to claim the Throne of Ghana, Mansa Igoumou I had died suddenly in a freak accident, leaving the noblemen to cast around for a new leader. In the end, their ineptitude in picking one of their own allowed and unknown man, known to history as Dongu Ogoonu, to rally a large enough force to place himself on the throne.

Dongu was the descendant of a proud tribe of hunters, know as the grey ones, and his personal signal reflected this.

As a man himself, he was an intricate web-weaver, lustful and arbitrary in nature, and known to be deceitful in nature, he was diligent, and well loved by his men.

Upon his coronation, he discarded his desert clothing and put on the more ceremonial attire of the Mansa of Ghana.

Ghana herself was of good size, and made up of four provinces, all under the direct control of the Mansa. Doumbi Saleh was the capital. These were not wealthy lands, while each had a fortified castle guarding it, that was all of note in Niono, Oualata and Kirana both had a city and the capital had a city and a temple of the Sahelian religion.

Surrounding Ghana were a number of other countries, many of them only one province in size, and only Gao being able to match Ghana in size.

The army that had helped put Dongu into power numbered little over a thousand men.

In the matters of religion, all in Ghana follow the Sahelian faith, and three of the five holy sites can be found within her boarders. The other two are far to the north along the North African coast.

To help him rule, Dongu had assembled a council of the wise and the great. All these men were at least compitent at their job, and all but the Grand Vizier disliked him. But if a man was not watching his Grand Vizier for trechery, then he did not deserve to be king, and Bankanu was exceptional at his job.

Several other Pretenders stood behind Dongu, and the laws of the land state that all of a kings lands should be split amongst his sons, with the greatest title going to the eldest.

Dongu was unmarried, but, in a strange quirk of fate, every other African lord below the Sahara was
in the same state – unmarried and childless! How an event like this came about, we will never know.
Dongu, like every other lord on that new years day set about fulfilling the ambition to find himself a worthy wife. With no useful diplomatic marriages possible, Dongu turns to his own court, and finds but one woman in the whole realm who is suitable. Djenly is lowborn, and does not like the kind much, but she is Ghanan, and that counts for much!

Djenly's family are at least rich, and the choice between the hundred gold dowry and the good will and prestige from turning it down was a hard choice for a Mansa who had only just risen to the throne. In the end the impoverished state of the nation meant that Dongu took the gold.

There were other ways to get prestige, and Dongu know that with all the other African kingdoms in the same state as him, now was the best time to strike fast and take land – Bamako was targeted as the first conquest.

The High Priest was informed he was joined Ghana, and the troops marched forwards to enforce this. Meanwhile Dongu spends most of his money on a new village outside his castle, in an attempt to increase the cultivation of the land and provide more money for the royal coffers.

Dongu Ogoonu's first battle was a stunning victory.

While Steward Kabyo lead three hundred men to hunt down the remains of the enemy army, Dongu and his forces settled in for a siege.

Dongu's troops scale the walls and take the castle. News comes from the battlefield of Kabyo's death in battle, and he is replaced by a less able man. The battles do continue to destroy the Bamako will to fight.

Djenly is pregnant! Could the dynastic worries of Dongu be over?

Two days later, Bamako is added to Ghana's lands. High Priest Kozie becomes Dongu's first vassal.

While things are quiet in Ghana, news filters down from Europe.

Although Dongu claimed that he had already read this news in the stars.

Some may scoff, but they could say nothing about his domestic policies.

A little over a year after taking power, and Aissata is born.

The child is weak however, and the Mansa's first child does not survives the birth. This terrible news is followed by the news that the new lands in the capital are not as fertile as once hoped.

The Spymaster at least has good news.

As Dongu's rule continued, he was at the foremost in setting legal precedents – which were backed up by loyal courtiers.

Lacking claims on the lands around him, Dongu carries on ruling the best he can, before Djenly falls pregnant again in late 869.

It is said that this may be due to the fact that for every book on myscisism Dongu bought, he purchased a different sort of book for his wife.

Although it should not be said that the Mansa was not expanding his realm in other ways.

Finally Dongu was graced with a son. Kabayo.

Noticing that Goa had been expanding rapidly, Dongu approached the lords of Djenne, Yaresena, Niani and Bobo, offering them the protection of Ghana.

They all agree, and Ghana swells rapidly. Even Dongu himeself could not have been expecting this much of a increase in the size of his kingdom.

It is in this period that a popular historian has declared that “Ghana decided to give history the finger”

A relatively short update, only covering a few years, but I wanted to bed down and that was too good a place not to stop....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

lenoon posted:

Man is that CK2+? Africa always looks so terribly terribly boring in vanilla.

Yeah, I switched to CK2+ when I confirmed the converter worked.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

lenoon posted:

Happily! Is that alright Grey?

Go for it! Historaclize away!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A year passes quietly, before a suspicious accident takes the life of Bankanu the Grand Vizier. It seems even Grand Vizier's have to watch their backs. Especially when they have been sent to fabricate claims on neighbouring territories.

Dongu orders the construction of a Militia training ground, which will increase the number of troops in the capital by a quarter.

He also secures the betrothal of his son to the only child of the chief of Bolgatanga. This is a long term plan, but could bring the province under his control.

Dongu is not only expanding the kingdom through peaceful means, he wants a link to the coast and Ziguincha is the key! War is declared. Dongu decides that he shall only use his own troops in this war, so as not to antagonize his vassals.

The two armies avoid one another, and begin besieging each others lands.

The war continues, and Djenly gives birth the a third child.

A final battle ends the war and gives Dongu a victory.

Dongu then respects his new subjects wishes and makes him marshal – he was able to take some of Ghana despite being outnumbered, and skill should be rewarded in Dongu's book.

Dongu is blessed with a second son.

Gao swallows Bolgatanga, and it the only real threat to Ghana in the region.

Meanwhile, Dongu decides he shall educate Kabayo himself.

He is an unruly child, and Dongu's attempts to beat some patiences into him does not work.

The Mansa's eyes were not always in the right place it seems, and there is a well known affair between him and one of his courtiers.

It is said that Djenly was also not as committed to the relationship as she may have been.

The Mansa's bastard child is born.

Dongu was not the kind of man to admit that Aoua was his child, even if it did fulfil a personal ambition of his!

this was also the time that Gao decided that the two large nations needed to sort out who was the greatest – Ghana was fast moving to marginalize the central African country, trapping her between deserts with no hope of expansion.

Dongu mobilized all of his forces. 3,200 men to Gao's 2,800.
He also receives news that the Sultana has given birth to a child.

The two forces clash, Gao must have purchased some mercenaries, as they have more troops that the reports said. Overall, it is said that Ghana had the better commanders.

The battle does not go their way however, and Dongu flees the field to his castle! The man seems to have hidden his cowardly side for this long, but during this pivotal battle, he broke down and revealed his craveness.

This of course leads to collapse and retreat for the Ghanan forces.

This act of cowardice has a marked effect on Kabayo.

Meanwhile, on the battlefield, the Gaon forces hunt down Dongu's men, defeating them in battle after battle. With no money for the hiring of mercenaries himself, Dongu can only watch from behind the curtains in his castle.
Trying to shore up the relationship with his vassals, Dongu sends his daughter to be educated by one of his richer lords.

Djenly sees no reason not to cheat on her husband – what is he going to do? Confront her about it?

Dongu raises a new force in the capital, but the Gaon's march in and defeat it, killing Marshal Fatta. This does however give Dongu the rights to his late marshal's lands.

This cannot prevent the loss of the battle and the loss of Soumpi though. The first Ghanan-Gaon war is over, and it was not a victory to Ghana.

Nine year old Kabayo was heard to state that he would not make the mistakes of his father, and would retake the lost land as soon as possible.

The second of the suspect children was born soon after.

Dongu's vassals scheme amongst themselves.

Djenly continues to be all but blatant about her affairs.

Dongu reacts as any man would, but going off and conquering some of his neighbours lands. Well, sending some of his men to conquer some of his neighbours lands.

He also decides that he does not love his cheating thrice-bastard bearing wife any more.

He does react badly to others professing their love. Mabali and Youma end up in Dongu's dungeons for eloping.

His troops meanwhile begin their conquests.

Djenly gives birth once more.

Takhye surrenders, but Birama of Takrur has declared that he should be the rightful ruler of Baol.

The first battle in this new war goes against Ghana, and the Takruri's overwhem the Ghanan army.

A new army is raised, but when looking for a new commander, is seems that the third best general in the realm is Dongu! This scares the Mansa, and he immediately spends some money on hiring a new marshal.

Duru Kayes takes command of the left flank of the army, and Dongu returns to his castle.

This appointment turns the war around for the Ghanans

As the men begin to besiege Takruri territory, Djenly pops out another bastard. (four so far for those of you counting)

Although they cannot win the war, Takruri troops can still make it costly. They rip down the castle fortifications with less than a hundred men.

Zakoi may not be his natural son, but as far as the world is concerned he is. This does allow him to be used to improve relations with iterate lords.

Kabyao mean while takes after his father in some ways.

Finally Birama accepts defeat, and Ghana has expanded once more. Dongu uses the funds from the surrender to fund some stables in Doumbi-Saleh
Dejenly also falls pregnant again, Dongu is fairly sure this one is his.

This child, a girl known as Bintou, is born nine months later.

Despite expanding the country to nearly three times its original size, his cowardice and inability to control a most promiscuous wife gains Dongu the epitaph history now remembers him by.

In fact, many say his achievements were more a matter of putting the right man in the right place.

Soon Kabyo comes of age. He is as good at intrigue as his father, but a far better soldier. He is fairly lacking in the diplomatic arts however, being a Wrothful, shy, Cynical, proud and lustful young man.

He will be the future of Mansa of Ghana, for better or for worse. Before I leave you, here is the beginnings of the Ogoona family tree. I have marked in red the “suspect” children for your entertainment.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 8, 2013

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

They are not true bastards. They are from some lover, but Dongu does not know who, so as far as the game is concerned, they are his kids for titles, but not for genetics. it may be that events fire that reveal them, or they may live out their lives as legitimate children.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We reaffirm the betrothal of the Chieftess of Bolgatanga and Kabayo our heir.

Kabayo needs lands, and as Dongu can rule all he has at this time, expansion is the only option!

Trying to dispel the images of cowardice, Dongu leads from the front, but is injured during the battle. We do slay the Mayor of Fatta however.

The battle is won, but the wound quickly becomes infected.

Adja comes of age tries to change the terms of the marriage. Dongu is only interested in the land, so declines.

Dongu wins the war but loses his life. The Mansa did great things for his country, but will be ill remembered by history.

Seventeen year old Kabayo takes control of the country and the lands are split between him and his many siblings. He marries Adja in a non-matrilinial marriage, and takes the gold.

The untested new king is not well liked by his council, and is forced to make his mother his spymaster!

Titles and gold are handed out to prevent a civil war, but Kabayo soon takes sick. Thankfully he recovers a month later.

Once better, the new Mansa was right back into action. Although he needed some lessons in subtly. His wife was soon pregnant however.

Needing to distract people from his not-so-private life, Kabayo declares war on his neighbour for the Takruri's most valuable province.

While his troops engaged there enemy. Djenly warns her son of a plot to seduce him. Kabayo's response is “get me more plots like that!”

Kabayo's son is born, and he names him after his father - “So history can have at least one great Dongu”

The war is won soon after, and while ransoming back the children of some lords captured Kabayo is told that another prisoner had escaped! This was M'Bali, imprisoned years ago for the crime of getting married for love!

Horrified that the couple had been forgotten, Kabayo quickly releases his wife as well, after only eight years in prison.

Gao declares war on Ghana once more. This shall be the new Mansa's first real challenge.

The Sanhaja join the war on the Gaon side, and a massive Gaon army begins to march on us.

The battle is a large one, there is not much difference in the commanders, so it comes down to numbers.

When another thousand Sanhajarans arrive, Kabayo continues to fight, he may not be able to win the battle, but he can prove himself to his vassals.

The result is a forgone conclusion however.

The war drags on, as it takes the Gaon's two years to take the holdings they need, but the province of Bobo is lost.

Kabayo decides that Gao must be destroyed. He also celebrates the birth of his first daughter, who he names after his mother.

The Mansa begins to try and improve his stewardship.

The Mead Fountain would be the connection between the Mansa and the common man.

There you can get the best salted turnips in the realm!

You can also pass the time listen to the best castrated eunuch singer.

Well, reportedly the best. It seems his skills have been overrated. This European entertainment is not for good Ghanan men, and Kabayo is in the lead to beat the man to death.

At least the turnips went down well. With some mead to wash them down at least.

Kabayo learns his lessons, then passes off the inn to a lesser man.

Other noble pastimes soon fill his head.

Another daughter is born to Kabayo.

To celebrate, War is declared on one of the small neighbours. Although Gao is the main threat, they have to many men when the alliance with Sanhaja is considered, so Ghana must wait for the death of the Sanhaja High chief and the end of this alliance.

During this war, Kabayo hones his military skills.

Once again, the Takrur decide they want to stop Ghanan expansion.

not that they can do much as in mid 896 the war ends and the Mansa's lands expand once more! No that chief Salaman is happy about this, but what can he do?

Kabayo's mother dies a natural death – in the bed of her current eighteen year old lover.

Kabayo honours her the only way he knows how.

Takrur has annoyed the Ogoona's for to long, and Kabayo begins their dismantlement.

using only his personal troops, and lead by men from his own court. The Mansa goes to war.

This battle ends the war. With the High chief in his dungeons, resistance collapses.

Something goes wrong, the land is not given to Kabayo, but to Salaman! Creating an independent nation on Ghana's border!

At least Duru has not seen the likeness of his ruler in his new born son!

As a new century begins, it is time to explore the rest of Europe.

North Africa is diminated by several large countries, chief amongst them are the Umayyads. Only the very north is controlled by Christians, with Castille and West Francia the largest in a fragmented Iberian peninsula.

The Middle East sees some large and numerous small countries, no real superpower is developing here.

The Romans are still doing well, and Italy is controlled mainly by the Lombards. Bulgaria and Georgia are also major players here.

The Eastern European nations are more a few large players like Perm, Kiev and Khazaria, and lots of smaller tribes.

Central Europe has seen the break up of East Francia, and has lots of very similar sized countries.

West Francia is the big boy in Europe after the Romans, and could expand rapidly.

In the British isles, the Vikings are overwhelming the Anglo-saxons, Scotland is holding its own and no one has made a move in Ireland.

Finally we call in on Scandinavia, and Ostlandet, Svipjob and the Kakisalmians hold large amounts of poor land.

Well, that brings you up to date. Next time, we continue our tale of lust.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

^^^^^^

I have 26 letters on my keyboard. That is how many will be used in this LP.

Patter Song posted:

So Gao is driving westwards, and we, in turn, are making up for our losses to the east by picking up territories to our west.

Ghana is being shifted westwards.

Yeah, While Gao and I have the same number of troops, they have the advantage of an allaince with 1,000 extra men. once that breaks up, I can then save for some mercenaries.

Also, it should be remebered that Dongu II will inherit part of the Goan lands, which will swing the balance of power to me by 700 or so men! I just need to keep myself competative until then.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Two years pass quietly, and Kabayo decides to finally hem Gao in by taking Taghaza.

Meanwhile, a third daughter is born to the Mansa.

Sheikh Ali quickly recognises Kabayo's right to rule.

This means Ghanan territory now butts up against that of the Umayyad's, but this was always going to happen at some point.

Even as he gets older, Kabayo has not learned to be more subtle about his extra-marital affairs.

The ageing High Chief Massi-Ize the Great of Gao dies. Under Gavalkind, he splits his lands between his sons, and Gao dissolves overnight. Susu and Kumbee-Tenga now share borders with Ghana, and alone they are much less powerful than the unified state of their father.

They are still allied to each other, so not that weak yet, but Kabayo begins to cement his own alliances, using his unmarried sisters.

He also betroths his youngest daughter to the Susu chief, trying to form an alliance there.

Meanwhile, the scandals from the Ogoona histories continue.

At this point, Kabayo was heard to shout “There is a crown on the door woman!”

Kabayo is fickle with his lovers though.

A revolt begins, as Sheik Ali makes wild accusations of his Mansa. The fact that High Priest Igoumou, who has forever bristled under the rule of the Ogoona, also rises up at the same time points the finger quiet eloquently.

It always seems that an Ogoona child is born after every war declaration.

Prince Dongu also comes of age at this time, he has been trained by the Ghanan Marshal, and is a tough soldier, this has left him envious, deceitful and wroth however.

Its not all good new however, as Ina dies a young child.

Igoumou is captured quickly. He is executed for his crimes, but this causes Bamako to go indipendant with a new high preist.

Ali is captured soon afterwards.

Learning from past mistakes, Kabayo banishes him from his realm, ceasing all of his assets and land.

We also get news that the Muslims are fracturing.

The period of peace is used to improve the capital.

We also finalize some alliances.

A second son is born to Kabayo.

This is quickly followed by a grandson.

Kabayo continues his infidelity.

This causes problems nine months later.

Kabayo is not going to recognise the child however.

Although he's also not going to break off the relationship.

We can finally bring Bamako back into the kingdom!

While Kabayo tries to do this with his own troops, most of the splintered Gaon powers decide to step in. this forces him to raise his vassal troops.

Another bastard is born and denounced.

The Gaon's are not here to defend Bamako, but to take it for themselves, Kabayo marshal’s his forces, raises 1,000 mercenaries and takes the the field of battle, unfortunately he is wounded during the fighting.

The battle is lost, and soon after it is heard that the Mansa's steward has been murdered by peasants!

The battle is lost, and Gao expands, but the Mansa's wounds heal into a very impressive scar.

Kabayo's hedonistic lifestyle is now well known.

For a moment, he lets this get away from him, before snapping himself out of it.

The Umayyad Emerate declares war upon Ghana.

Kabayo is forced to bring in the Gaon forces to help him.

The Umayyad's were suddenly plunged into a civil war, but they called upon the people of Atlas to help them. More Africans joined their brothers though, so the sides were fairly balanced.

With the Umayyad troops north, Kabayo settles down to the daily routines of a siege.

Its a shame about the shoddy construction.

Dongu II takes the throne of his father. Did he have anything to do with the suspicious death of his father? Or did he scorn one lover to many?

The Wrathful, Deceitful envious but temperate new Mansa had already lost two children. For now, he must win the war.

In October the Umayyad civil war ends.

Four months later, another civil war kicks off, this is helping Dongu and his allies greatly!

This brings a lot more Muslim forces into the region – more for the Ghanan lead forces to destroy!

A second bloody battle is won, and the Ghanan forces capture the Umayyad prince, but another large army is coming in.

While Dongu awaits the attack, he gets news that his wife has given birth to a daughter!

The battle becomes six thousand against three, and the Ghanan forces lose, but Dongu has done enough to secure a white peace and prevent damage to his lands.

Dongu has a son now, who he names after his father.

He also completes an upgrade to the Milita training ground in the capital and begins work on larger stables – with the succession laws as they are, spending money outside the capital is a waste, as it will be passed on to any second sons.

He also attempts to bring Cayor back into the realm.

The war is quickly won, and as 919 comes to an end, Djenly is born to the Ogoonas.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 14, 2013

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Lateinshowing posted:

Actually, kinda curious. What does the West African special cultural building give us in terms of troops?

Light infantry boost - Men with poison arrows!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

So, like, what do we have to do to reform West African religion and become the Mansa-Pope of Ghana?

There are two provinces in the Umayyad lands that I need to take, Marrakesh is one of them IIRC. This is a nice rich province with about 5 settlements on it!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Dongu's wife, Tekhaye dies in childbirth. The child does not survive either.

Having a living heir, he betroths himself to a one year old for an alliance and then betroths his son to the heir of Kumbee-Tenga. All he needs do now is hope that the chief as no surviving sons.

Someone tries to tell Dongu of a plot on his life, but he refuses to believe any of his subjects could mean him any harm.

Meanwhile, death continues to stalk his children.

It is once more time to expand Ghana, and reduce the annoying Takuruis. Small tribes with no alliances have no place in Africa!

The war lasts three months and has a single possible outcome.

The tradition of attacking weakened enemies continues, as the last of the Takuri land is absorbed by the Sanhanja.

Needing more men, Dongu begins the process of making Ghana more of a kingdom than a loose collection of tribes. He asks his lords to institute low crown authority.

After that, he is informed that his Son has a weak claim for Susu, the cousins of the current 13-year old High Chief do no like him much and are allied to Ghana as well, in fact, Susu is currently at war with Kumbee-Tenga!

War is declared, for his Son would surely be a better ruler, especially as he would have Dongu as a regent!
Two quick battles later and it is just the sieges to go.

Kabayo is installed as rightful ruler of Gao.

Sandaki, the Mansa's spymaster comes to his lord, apparently the chief of the Niani wishes him dead. She refuses to end the plot, so Dongu orders her arrested.

The Mansa's wrath comes to the fore, he shall prove to his enemies what happens to those who plot to take his life. He banishes Ina and ceases her lands and gold.

That money is then spent on building the great Dongu keep in Al-Ghaba.

Something terrible is happening in Ghana. It seems that an earthquake has hit the capital.

Of course the brave Dongu will investigate this threat to his realm. The smell is terrible, but Dongu gets closer and closer to the hole.

This a hole into the very pits of hell! Dongu almost falls in, before ordering his men to seal the hole!

The sacred cattle are rounded up and hearded into the hole, trying to sate the gods and ancestors with their blood.

This is not cheap, as each of the cattle comes from the Mansa's own heard, and will need to be replaced or Dongu will lose status.

This does not work.

Stones are piled into the hole next.

The screams affect the peasants, but they keep working.

Finally, the work is done. Dongu learned much from battling demons, and is now more respected by his peers.

Dongu remarries, this time to the sister of the Goan chief.

The dowry is immediately spent on making Dongu's keep even bigger!

He may have a sixteen year old wife, but that can't stop the Mansa's eyes (and hands) from wandering.

Gao and Kumbee-Tenga are at war with each other. So Dongu decides to claim Gao for his wife. Maybe she can make a better ruler!

Days later, Dongu's mother dies, and leaves him the province of Bologatanga! This gives him nine hundred more men to bring into the war!

Then, during the battle, the curse of the Dongu name strikes again!

Thankfully, this time the Ghanan force is the larger, and the battle ends with the capture of chief Benign and the end of the war!

The once mighty Gao is now a splintered mess.

Waalo, on the coast, is the last independent realm in the area.

Dongu declares war on them. They fight back the best they can, but only by avoiding the Mansa's troops.

Bannu is soon forced to reorganise his new ruler.

Dongu now has a new son, this one is the heir to Gao.

Of course, he is not the only child born to the Mansa of Ghana. This bastard is denounced of course.

After a few years of peace, it is time for Dongu to press his daughters claim on Kumbee-Tenga.

Jeno enters the watr on the Kumbee-Tenga side, but not with enough troops to make a difference.

With all the forces of Ghana brought to bare, this is not a long war.

Loraie is happy with her new lands. Dongu is happy with his new vassal.

Lorane celibrates a little to hard, but Dongu cannot be mad, it is a Ogoona family trait.

A third son is given to the Mansa.

The years of peace pass by quickly, and the troops of Ghana are replenished.
The foes to the east are a shadow of their former selves.

Goa's heir is the son of Dongu, so this will be his soon enough. This leaves only Jeno to conquer. Then the expansion north can begin.

This will not be easy.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

Are the Umayyads stronger than us if we have all of West Africa?

We can currently call on about 8,000 men, the Umayyads can call in 12k, plus allies,which we will have none of once I've cleaned up our little bit of sub Sahara.

This is when we start running into people who won't marry us as well, which slows down the expansion a lot.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I can be flexible with time, atm I'm doing 20 year updates, but I could do a 30 or 40 year one if little is happening.

Plus, it seems that I can rely on the Ogoona's to keep me going with a succession of soap style affairs.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Now in his fifties, Dongu decides to take life easy. He organises a feast.

The feast needs a Boar. Boars are hard to find in Sub-Saharan Africa, but the Marshal is sent out to try and catch one.

Everyone who is anyone is there, and the king spends lavishly on the food and hires a magician.

Some of the lords stayed suspiciously sober.

All agreed that the Mansa threw a great party.

It takes time, but this has a trickle down effect, and soon the lords back the extension of Crown Authority.

Always an angry man, Dongu's tastes take a turn for the worse in his old age.

He still has time to keep his children happy though.

This is his last act as Mansa, as the old man dies in his sleep.

Kabayo II Ogoona takes the throne of Ghana. Still a young man, he already has an heir, Dongu. This continues the Ogoona tradition of naming the first born son after the grandfather.
A Midas with money, the new Mansa is also a cynical, content chaste man, with a slight tendency to overeat at every opportunity.

In fact, while waiting for his own servants to suggest their preferred positions, we see this event twice. This is a king ready to party!

He is willing to listen to his new advisor however.

Something of a small civil war breaks out in western Ghana, but as it is no threat to the new Mansa, he ignores it.

The Civil war still rages, but Kabayo decides he needs to do his bit to expand his realm. Aoudaghost is the richest province in Sanhaja, and will break their back as a power in the region.

Gao has the audacity to join the war against Ghana!

Kabayo leads from the front, he decides to focus on mastering the desert.

I wonder why?

The Gaoan forces are quickly defeated, and the Chieftess captured,

The Sanhaja forces do not last long, and in less than a year they admit defeat.

A second son is soon born to Kabayo.

It seems that not all the Ogoona's believe that Kabayo is the rightful king. It seems that his cousin Umar thinks that his branch of the family should be in charge.

Kabayo thinks this over in his garden. “Sometimes, a tree needs a good prune.”

Its a shame that the Mansa's assassin bungles the job.

The man does not even have the dignity to die under interrogation!

Within a year, many factions were manoeuvring to get Kabayo off the throne!

Umar makes his move! He has raised over six thousand men to defeat his liege.

With his damaged relations with his vassals, Kabayo is forced to spend a large amount of gold to hire a thousand mercenaries to give him the advantage in numbers.

The two forces clash. Overall, the rebels have the better commanders, but the loyalists have a slight troop number advantage. The bets General on the loyalist side is the Mercenary commander.

The commander dies early on, but the defensive terrain allows the Loyalists to hold their position. The Rebel right collapses, but so does the Loyalist centre.

The battle is long and brutal, with both sides losing a full third of their numbers. But despite losing all three generals, the Loyalists are victorious!

Kabayo is forced to take command of his troops himself, and in the next battle he is wounded.

Before the end of the day the wound is infected, and the Mansa's life hangs in the balance.

The battle itself is another victory.

His infected wound does not stop the Mansa from trying to improve his fighting skills.

While his bravery is respected, it is not a wise choice, and Kabayo slumps to the floor dead one day while practising. This puts Dongu III, currently nine years old, in charge of the country.

While the Kabayo's seem destined to be great warriors, the Dongu's seem to be cowards! At least the young Mansa is gregarious.

His first task is to deal with a claim of an assassination attempt. Learning from his father's mistakes, young Dongu declares that the man may have is offenders lands.

Being thrust into a position of power so early has its affects.

A swift beating by his guardian cures him of this problem however.

The civil war finally ends. Dongu now hopes to live out the rest of his regency in peace.

The Muslims see more internal strife.

Although only Navarra and Aquitaine threaten their control of the Iberian Pennisular. Aquitaine is a behemoth however.

It has taken some time, but the population of Taghaza throw off their Islamic shackles and embrace the Serpent!

They are not the only people taken up by a new feeling of faith!

Although his control of language is not exceptional, let it never be said that being able to spell has ever precluded anyone from greatness.

Dongu's council are also doing great things.

Although some of those things were undoing the work of his father.

A regency can cause problems in a Kingdom however. This means that Dongu will only have six hundred men of his own to call upon, his grandfather could call on over two thousand!

As his Name-day approaches, Dongu has to come to terms with the fact that his cowardice is something more, even physical contact is a problem for the Mansa.
People will question if he is even an Ogoona – who ever heard of an Ogoona who was afraid of Physical contact rather than craving it?

The regency finally ends and Dongu III Ogoona is now in full command of his country.

Craven, Gregarious, Zealous Ambitious and Chaste, the new Mansa has a lot to prove, but is young, and has lots of time to prove himself.

He quickly betroths himself to a lustful looking girl of 12, and then set about cleaning up his country.

He also cannot forget that Bamako was once his families land, and should be once more. War is declared.

The large Jeno force hits once of the smaller Ghanan armies, but the others rush to support it.

They win the first fight, but after that there is only one outcome.

Dongu learns much on the field of battle, he manages to face his fear and lead his men well.

Soon the war is won, and Bamako is once more part of Ghana.

Ghana may not have grown much in the last twenty years, but she now has a strong ruler with eyes towards expansion. This could soon be the beginning of a Golden Age for the country.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

ChaosSamusX posted:

Are you quickly losing bad rulers and keeping the good ones around for a while? What game are you even playing?

The game of not quoting the whole of a 70 image post......

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

LordPants posted:

He'll have an heir, it'd just be a cousin or something.

Yeah, the family tree idea has gone out the window, I tried to update it, but the Ogoonas breed like rabbits! there has to be about 50 eligible dynasty members out there at the moment. thats just the living ones.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Well, Dongu I had about 7 children, each of which had at least three, across four generations now....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Dongu III may not be the man to lead troops from the front, but he knows how to expand his empire, and now Sanhaja needs splitting in two. All of Sub-Saharan Africa must be part of Ghana!

The Mansa also marries, he takes the gold, as he can just get prestige from winning wars!

The enemy armies are quickly overwhelmed, and the sieges begin. Within a year, the war is over.

Dongu begins construction of a warrior lodge, his idea is to use well trained light infantry armed with poisonous weapons to tip the balance.

He also make sure to dedicate his victory to the serpent.

Knowing that his succession laws would never allow him or his descendants to build large personal armies based off their lands alone, Dongu forms a personal retinue. This is only three men at this time, but they each have orders to hire a good number of troops.

He also makes some moves to try and dispel rumours that he is reluctant to produce and heir.

His brother and heir meanwhile, is cleaning up his own lands and vassals.

With the completion of the Warrior lodge, the Nouakchgott tribe is the next to fall under the gaze of Dongu. They refuse the Mansa's offer of vassalization and will now face his troops.

He marches his troops north. Well, his Brother and two of his cousins march his troops north.

There is also news of another threat from Aoudanghost.

Although this force is not hostile to the Ghanan forces, and just marches around the desert.

In fact, they are at war with the Shanhaja's, and Dongu is able to quickly win his war.

With the war over, his men begin squabbling amongst themselves. Dongu of course allows the duels.

It is time for Jeno to cease to exist, Dongu claims it for his Aunt Youma Hay.

Another minor nobleman decides its time to make his own name.

The war ends, and Ghana looks much better. Only the refusal of High Cheiftess Safataou to die keeps Gao from the realm. (note Fodi's army just wandering around the country.)

Although it is noted that the Mansa is winning all these wars without leaving his castle.

Dongu reacts by inviting everyone over to his place to explain. With food.

Only M'bali refuses to come.

Dongu opens the feast with an announcement that the Kingdom of Jolof is no more. This is known of course, but these official proclamations look good.

The feast was a success, and Dongu's vassals leave happy.

As they leave, he announces the next target. The Idrisid Sultinate lies to the north of Ghana.

There, under a Shiite leader, many Sahaelians are oppressed he tells his men. This must change. This is a war using the claim of the Grand Visier of Aoudanghost, himself a Shiite, but Dongu is sure he can change this once he has the man as a vassal.

The Muslim forces cannot stand against the much stronger Ghanan army.

The war ends, but Sugguat refuses to swear his loyalty to the Mansa. Dongu is not pleased, but at least they have split a threat to the kingdom – and won himself more prestige.

Dongu's eyes turn back to Sanhaja, and something clicks. High Chief Sultan? This man is to far into self aggrandisement to be allowed to rule.

Meanwhile another man thinks he can make himself a king.

There is a mistake, and Dongu is checking on his troops when the enemy attack. He tries his best, but the Mansa is run down and killed in battle at the age of only 28.

With no heir, the crown goes to his Brother, Samsou-Beri. He is the first Ogoona to rule not to bear one of the two great family names.
A shy. kind and charitable man, Samsou-Beri is a good soldier and steward, but has no diplomatic skill at all – and is know to have an undercurrent of anger to those who oppose him. He also rules five provinces, and has much more money and troops at his disposal than previous Mansas.

Unfortunatly for the nation, he to is at the battle, and it captured by the Sanhajan chief Hiba!

Having been told of his ascension to the throne by his captors, there is little he can do but sign a humiliating peace treaty. This is not a good start to his reign.

At least Fodi is having some success.

Needing to prove himself to his vassals, and Suggut seems like the best target.

The war is quickly won by only the Mansa's troops, and Idjil becomes part of Ghana, Suggut swears his loyalty to the Sultan of Indrisit.

Meanwhile, another Ogoona goes adventuring. It seems that Ghana is so rich a country that minor noblemen can easily recruit large force and go off to conquer new realms.

At least the death of Dongu III sees a return to the good old ways.

With Gusto.

The Mansa has a son, and decides to get things back on track with the naming system. The Dongu's and Kabayo's have made this country strong.

This child may be a bastard, but Samsou-Beri is not the kind of man to deny his own flesh and blood.

Cheiftess Safatioui of Gao has died, but Bassi, Samsou-Beri's uncle, refuses to join Ghana. Uncle Harun also has a claim, and the Mansa decides he would make a better ruler.

One short war later, and the stain on the map has been removed.

Peace reigns for a time, and the Mansa spends it and a sizeable sum of money on improving the lot of the peasants around the capital.

Soon after, Samsou-Beri is taken ill, and retires to his bed.

After months of illness, the Mansa succumbs, and dies in his bed.

Four year old Kabayo III is sick when he takes to the throne, but the legitimised bastard soon recovers.

With such a young child to take care of, the first years of the regancy are ones of peace. When Bintou, the Mansa's mother is heard to say she wishes she was married, the now five year old Kabayo remarks “Don't worry mummy, I'll find you someone!”

He then marries her off to the biggest man he knows, his Marshal. Duru takes the child under his wing, and begins to prepare him for the world.

This seems to all to be a good choice.

Having such a warrior figure in his life affects the young Mansa, and he soon is seen riding around on a wooden horse, waving a stick.

Gao-Saney survives this little accident, but he is wounded and not quick to forget. He heals well though, and soon is back to overseeing the country.
Ghana has grown much in the last twenty years, and when the Sanhaja are finally removed, we shall be left with only the Muslims to worry about.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

RZApublican posted:

What's Europe looking like, so far?

I'm planning on doing Europe-wide updates every turn of the century, but I will comment on anything interesting I notice before then - So we're due a tour of Europe at the end of next update! (or maybe a small update inbetween)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Teaching the young Kabayo is hard, the boy is willful and lazy.

Thankfully Duru is on hand.

The Regent also works on strengthening traditional warrior society in Ghana.

Duru also decides that Sanhaja should be gone by the time Kabayo comes to the throne.

Kabayo continues to develop.

As does his relationship with Duru.

The war is not a long one, and Kabayo now controls six provinces.

Duru is training the men when he suffers an accident.

The ageing man never recovers, and dies a few months later.

He is replaced by Maammarou, a man with more leanings towards bookkeeping, but still a master of the sword.

A disagreement between some of his vassals escalates to war.

Maammarou has some trouble controlling the wilful Kabayo.

Another Ghanan raises an army and goes adventuring.

Kabayo also tries in his own way to make friends.

The Umayyad's fracture again, the Regency decides to try and take advantage of this and cease some more land.

Unfortunately the war ends before our troops can get there. This does lead to an independent Marrake.

For some reason, Kabayo takes a turn for the craven, despite being a brave child up to this point.

Maammarou uses his lieges money to found a new city in Ninono. His thinking is that the poorly settled Ghana needs more cities to move it towards a more civilized state.

This is his last act, as Kabayo III comes of age in September.

A craven fortune builder. He already has over ten years on the throne and looks set for a long reign.

With suitable unrelated woman being in short supply, he marries a distant cousin, related only through Dongu I. He of course takes the gold.

Kabayo's brother in law is plotting something. It is notable that most of the nobility in Ghana now has the Ogoona surname!

Bassarou wastes no time in getting himself into a position of power.

Although he's not sure where he want to be.

The next ruler of Ghana is born, this time, his father picks a new name for him.

He also decides that this is the right time for the destruction of Sanhaja.

Soon, Ghana is whole, and The Ogoona are masters of all of Africa they can reach.

This is of course when Bassarou makes his move! He has somehow managed to raise 12,000 men to his cause!

While Kabayo can raise 13,000 men, he has to form his army from across the nation.

The city of Nyemina opens its gates at this time as well. It is granted to his son to “manange” for now.

It takes the best part of a year, but the forces are massed, and finally collide in an epic battle.

The battle sways back and forth, Kabayo becomes stressed, and hires some mercenaries to try and swing the battle.

The Ogoona's know only one way to deal with stress!

The battle turns towards Ghana, the arrival of the mercenaries only cements the victory.

It is victory, but a pyrrhic one at best, nearly one third of all the armies of Ghana lie dead upon the field.

The enemy are chased down, and a quick second battle brings Bassarou into Kabayo's hands and ends the war.

The Realms coffers are empty and its manpower reserves dry, it will be many years before Ghana can once more field as many men as it once did.
The Mansa's bastard is born, and quickly denounced.

Sometimes it seems that everyone in Africa is destined to be descended from Kabayo Ogoona!

There are of course legitimate children as well.

Richard Karland, a Frank, is attacking the Sultan of Idrisid. Kabayo uses this time to launch his own attack!

Being on the offensive once more puts the spring back into the Mansa's step.

The Franks take El Aaiun, and we take Boujdour.

Richard will have to die, if only for his chosen coat of arms.

Kabayo's spymaster reports to him news of the best plot.

Bassarou dies, never having know greatness.

In the last days of the millennium, another son is born to the Ogoonas.

Let us take a look at the changes the world has seen. Ghana is of course Ghana, and now rules her corner of Africa.

To the north, the Umayyads remain the main threat, and the next barrier the Ghanan's need to go through. Iberia is mostly Muslim with a few small Christian states hanging on.

In western Europe, France has formed, but Bavaria and Lombardy are much greater powers. They are seperated by smaller buffer states at this time, but who knows how long they can hold?

The British Isles see Scotland expanding into Ireland, and Wessex and Oxford making a comeback against the Viking hordes.

Scandinavia is rapidly coming under the power of Vestlandet and Kexholm.

Central Europe is starting to solidify into some greater nations.

The Romans survive, a little fractured but still a strong power.

The middle east sees two super powers separated by water, with a small Muslim sultanate of Jerusalem in white surviving.

Finally, on the Asian border, there are several large countries forming.

That brings up up to the year 1000AD. The Ogoonas see their second Millennium.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Pakled posted:

In Grey Hunter's last LP, he, playing as Napoleonic France, had a really difficult time trying to conquer Spain due to some AI... quirks. A war that was expected to last a year or so instead took 7 years to complete, and the strain of trying to occupy Spain brought about massive famines and bankruptcy in what was previously the most prosperous country in Europe, and more casualties than Austria, Prussia, Russia, or Britain were ever able to inflict on France.

Let us just say I shall be avoiding Spain as much as bloody possible.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Kabayo uses the turn of the millennium to try once more to impose crown authority on Ghana. He wants to move them away from being a loose collection of tribes into a real country.

He then has to deal with the results of his celebrations. Although its not much of a problem as Bisi dies during childbirth.

Another civil war breaks the Umayyads for a time.

Another Ogoonu joins the ranks. Unfortunately the boy dies a month later.

The Umayyad civil war has lead to Ha'ilid breaking away. This is Kabayo's chance to advance north.

Kabayo becomes more and more paranoid, his cravenness expands into a fear of poison.

it takes a year to march the troops up north, but once they are there they defeat the Ha'ilid troops and force them to retreat into a second army.

The Mansa also continues the Ogoonu tradition when it comes to assassination attempts – giving the land to the the victim.

He also makes sure everyone knows of the history of the Ogoonu.

The war ends, and we now have a border on Marrakich, one of the holy sites for the Saheilen religion. It is also a massively rich province.

We then see something unique in the history of Ghana – someone turns down the advances of an Ogoonu!

Kabayo is keeping a closer eye on things than he once was, and is now aware that his funds seem to be down.

Bisi is able to convince the Mansa that it is just a clerical error.

The Umayyad's reform. This is not a good thing for Ghana, but they seem to do this kind of thing every few years.

This one comes out of nowhere. Mecca declares itself part of Ghana, and he Abbasid sultan rightfully declares this stupid.

Kabayo agrees, and surrenders the territory without a fight.

He the passes a law increasing the taxes from cities.

The Mansa's wife dies.

So he gets himself a younger, lustful and unrelated one.

Kabayo then begins work on expanding the Great Dongu Keep.

The conquest of El Aailn begins. The Franks and their hideous banner have no place here.

The Franks charge into Ghanian lands. The battle begins and Kabayo is immediately wounded.

The battle is won, and during the chase Richard is captured. This brings an end to resistance, and the count is forced to swear fealty to Kabayo.

Kayabo's wound becomes infected. Thankfully this only lasts a little while.

Soon after he is blessed with another son.

The wound heals after this, leaving the Mansa scarred.

The ruler of Idjil dies, and he leaves his land to the Sheikh of Snassen. He is a vassal of Hemen, and this land will need to be reclaimed.

This is a golden period for the people of Ghana.

Kabayo celebrates twenty years on the throne, people now refer to him as “The Great”

He then has to deal with a problem of another of those upstart armies attacking his ally in Canarias.

I should say the small problem.

There is then the problem that the line of succession of El Aaiun passes to the Duke of Burgandy! Kabayo moves quickly to prevent this from happening.

Edues agrees to having his title revoked, having no allies. Kabayo keeps it and hands Niono over to one of his many nephews.

Next up is reclaiming Idjil, which has changed hands already.

Kabayo is also able to convert Boujdour to the worship of the Serpent in the Well.

He also begins improving the warrior lodge. As you can see, the capital is now as well upgraded as current technology can master.

Most of the Aghlabid lands are far to the north, so the retinue of Ghanan troops must make some long marches through the desert.

As we bring this update to a close, I give you Ghanan troops seeing the Mediterranean for the first, but not last, time.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Aghalbids finish a civil war, and suddenly only Kabayo's retinue will not cut it.

The Mansa also begins to really enjoy life.

Meanwhile, his army fails to flee in time.

We reform a new army, and head north to get some revenge.

This battle is more to our favour.

This causes Sheikh Amin to surrender.

This leaves Ghana whole, but with the exception of the Canarias, the next war will need to be against the Umayyads. And Kabayo wants to prepare for this.

Kabayo's Paranoia grows, he accuses his seventeen year old daughter of trying to poison him.

She does not take this well.

Although he seems right to be paranoid as his third son is found dead.

Kabayo is now fifty, and has been ruling for forty-six years.

He is so well loved that he can push through crown tax privileges with no opposition. This increases his monthly income from ten gold a month to fifteen.

While Ghana is becoming more like a western country, she is still tribal in many ways, infighting amongst Kabayo's vassals is common.

With this move towards a more civilized nation however, there are certain forms that Kabayo must obey now.

The building of Ghana continues as Kabayo founds the second city of his reign.

Dongu's Keep is now as well upgraded as it can be, researchers are working on new techniques, but it will be some time.

The wise men of Ghana learn much about building better castles and majesty.

They are rewarded with a fine new study.

Kabayo gazes wistfully at Marrakesh. While he can match the Umayyads and their 21,000 troops, they are allied to the Aghlabids and Algerians. These two allies can bring another 25,000 men, if they were called in. The Mansa returns to building his country.

Kabayo is involved in a terrible accident while performing a traditional rite.

While still wounded, news comes that the Umayyads are at war with Aquitaine!

Kabayo ceases this opportunity to try and take the holy site of Marrakesh!

They have a huge army, but Kabayo can match this, if he can play for time.

Two great armies clash while a much larger Ghanan force marches north.

They win that battle, but after that superior Ghanan numbers take effect.

The Ummayads arrive with another army, and Kabayo's forces scramble to reform their army into something that can defeat their enemies.

We are defeated, but only narrowly. But the Muslims follow up and hit us again.

Kabayo spends money to hire thousands of mercenaries.

After a long and glorious reign, and at the age of 57, Kabayo dies. His prestige was a third of the dynasties to date, and it will be a long time until we see a man like him.

Sakoura I is a middle aged man with a fully grown heir of his own. A gruff diplomat, he is also known to be arbitrary and greedy. He is also a proud and diligent man. He loses a lot of the land via the inheritance laws, and can only call upon the capital as his own domain.

He also inherits a war that is not going well. He is nowhere near as well liked as his father, so his vassals are less willing to send in their men, and the huge mercenary army quickly drains his coffers.

After a few months he is forced to concede defeat, where his father had the money to win, he does not.
The reparations bankrupt the Mansa. His father was rich, Sakoura is in debt to most of the lenders in the country.

The use of titles stops his cousins from trying to replace him, but he need money, and at only eight gold a month, this is going to take time.

Ransoms help with some of the debt.

While waiting to pay off the money, Sakoura spends time with his wayward third son.

He also looks at what is happening in Europe – the rise of Wessex and Scotland, and the joining of Bavaria and Lombardy to create a true super power in central Europe.

Ghana is once more in the black, but it will be some time before the Mansa is loved enough to challenge the Umayyads once more. Just getting out of debt makes Sakoura's vassals willing to contribute 4,000 more men however.

The Mansa also works on improving his military skills, albeit in a unconventional way.

Time to teach some teenagers to fight!

They soon learn that the Mansa is not a man to be trifled with!

Unfortunately news of this spreads, and Sakoura the bad is ridiculed behind his back.

The rest of this period is spent rebuilding the shattered retinue, and nothing of interest happens.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Just a note, I'm going away til Friday, so no update until next sat.

Just so you guys don't start hollering that the Paradox Curse has taken me.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sakoura takes on some kids on the battlefield.

He then sends his retinue into Umayyad territory to raid, they defeat this army twice before running away from the 8,000 men sent south.

He also trains his troops, but Yunus finds that they are poor quality levies.

Troops are raised across Ghana. There is a claim by some of his lower vassals for Aoudaghost, and both sides have called in their allies. The Mansa sits back and watches this tribal squabble.

The war is very one-sided.

The Kumbee-Tenga branch of the family is now the largest in Ghana. Mayroumfa has ten vassals of his own.

While constructing a new training ground in the capital, Sakoura makes his aim to get more men into the field.

He follows the training ground with a new barracks.

He also has to deal with the fact that his forth son gets married without his permission.

The Muslims in the north are not accepting the wisdom of worshipping the Snake in the Well..

The rebels surprise the Mansa's retinue and rapidly defeat them.

This blatant revolt is enough to make the true Ghanan lords accept their leaders calls for higher taxes.

Sakoura raises up some troops and crushes the rebellion.

This is not the end to the religious turmoil however. Tunka is replaced and his successor sent back in to convert the masses.

Sakoura's fourth son dies tragically young.

the Umayyad's refuse to splinter, and with his advancing age Sakoura does not want the same thing to happen to his son that happened to him, succession during a war. So the Mansa decides to found another city in the capital.

Sakoura's son Birama has some strange ideas – people getting punished for infidelity? In Ghana?

He then set about trying to remove a Muslim vassal in control of a Well-Snake worshipping province.

Its a shame his drunken half-brother is so loud.

Sometimes more direct methods are needed.

Sakoura is nearly killed by a bear, only intervention by his sixth son saves him. When the city of Gumbu is finished, it is given to him.

Mansa Sakoura has lived a long life, and moves on to the next one.

His Son, Zakoi I of Ghana takes the throne. He is already well into his middle age, and has seven children and a of-age heir. He is a naive appraiser, a shy charitable and temperate man, he can be arbitrary at times. He also inherits a good amount of wealth from his father.

His largest problem is Kambine, his heir. The man is a craven, wroth-full envious imbecile. Letting this man become Mansa would ruin Ghana!

The solution to the problem comes of age. Although still craven, he is far superior to his older brother. He is known to spend more time terrorising the male servants than the female ones, but that may just be due to the sheer numbers of Ogoonu around, there may be a shortage of women!

There is only the problem of removing Kambine. The first attempt fails as the Mansa's heir manages to walk out of the prepared death trap.

Two hundred gold is paid out once more, and the succession problem is solved.

With that settled, Zakoi now waits for the Umayyad's to start a war so he can try and claim Marrakesh. He passes the time in the good old Ogoonu way.

The Ogoonus continue to expand their linage, how can her father be mad at her?

With the Muslims to the north undergoing a period of peace, so does Ghana, there are the occasional minor squabbles amongst the tribe leaders about land, but most of the time and money is spent on building up the country – The Mansa's income in the last twenty years has gone up from twelve gold a month to eighteen at this time!

The country is strong, and growing stronger, so it is only a matter of time before the Mansa can lead troops north.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 2, 2013

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah, when you're intentionally putting a craven gay dude with mediocre stats on the throne because the heir is even worse, it's a bad time to be an Ogoonu. To be fair, it's gotta be hard to find a potential wife of the well-snake religion with decent stats that isn't your aunt or something.

Yeah, its something I've let slip. I still have one three year old son I can use to fix this.

Quift posted:

Could you post a direct vasals map? it seems you have plenty of counts as vassals and very few duchies?

Yeah, there are about three or four High Chiefs, but its part of where we are playing, I can't create any more high chiefdoms, so I'm stuck with the four biggies and that's it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

MinistryofLard posted:

Just how many Ogoonas are there now, and how many were there to start with?

If we're breeding at that fast a rate, I kind of want to do a growth rate analysis to see if by the end of EU3 the Ogoonas will be populous enough to be an actual ethnicity.

We Started with one Ogoonu, Dongu I, there are now more than I can count, two of the high chiefs and several of the chiefdoms are branches of the family.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Umayyads finally have another civil war, and Zakoi strikes.

The first battle does not go well.

in fact, neither do the next two, as two similar sized armies are fed into the grinder one at a time – each time the Umayyads defeat an army the same size as their own!

In the end, the sheer numbers of the enemy mean that the Ghanan's cannot prevail. Zakoi is forced to concede defeat and pay his enemy nearly 700 gold, once more plunging the country into debt.

Bada of Goa takes over the lands of his cousin, this gives him a huge chunk of Ghana under his command.

Weeks later he dies a natural death, and his lands are split between his two daughters. Gavilkind is usefull for preventing ones vassals from getting to big.

Zakoi may be known to many as “The Clueless”, but in reality he loves his books.

With nothing much to do but wait for the debt to be paid off, Zakoi works on his family.

He has the normal sized Ogoona family.

Even his son, who prefers the company of men, has a decent sized family.

A short illness steals Zakoi away.

Mamoudou I takes the throne. This solves the countries money problems and puts the thrifty clerk on the throne. He is craven, but he is also honest, diligent and charitable.

One of the Mansa's sons dies days after he takes the throne. Mamoudou also takes over the education of his son Zakoi.

He is immediately challenged by his son's violent temper, he tries to beat some patience into him, but that only makes him angry.

One of Mamoudou's vassals rises up against him, calling it the war against tyranny may be a little extreme, seeing as the Mansa has only been on the throne for a year.

To the north, on of the Muslim vassals joins this rebellion, but the Retinue is sitting in that province, so there is little chance of them joining the war proper.

Zakoi is becoming more temperate.

With his character better under control, the Mansa sends him to one of his vassals for schooling in the art of war.

The war ends.

Mamoudou has both the chiefs in prison. He lets his kinsman go free, being a charitable sort.

For Chief Sami, who neither worships the Well Snake nor is a Ogoona, the fate is much worse.

With the province under his direct command, he orders another city built. He also sends his High Priest in to teach the population the joys of the Snake.

It is now two hundred years since the rise of the Ogoonu, the house has gone from one member to a hundred and fifty seven in that time. Thirteen of the Mansa's twenty four direct vassals are Ogoonu.

Off the coast lies the Canarias islands, this once was ruled by an Ogoonu, but is no longer. Using this claim Mamoudou declares his intent.

While waiting for his troops to march into position, the Mansa fathers another son.

when he declares war, he finds an unexpected problem – most of his vassals along the coast do not in fact recognise the fact that they need to build ships! The entire Ghanan fleet comprises of eight vessels.

This means he can only move eight hundred men across in one go, and there are no mercenaries available with ships. The war becomes an embarrassing stand-off.

The stalemate continues.

Meanwhile, the Mansa builds up his new province. It will go to one of his others sons on his death, so for now he is just building his legacy here.

Zakoi comes of age and is married off to one of the few non Ogoonu noblewomen.

Mamoudou wakes one morning to discover evidence that his last Muslim vassal is plotting to overthrow him.

This is all the Mansa needs to revoke his title.

The war peters out, the Mansa has lost and is forced to once more go into horrible debt to pay off his enemy.

Mamoudou writes a verse cursing the lack of ships. This is soon passed around the kingdom.

This does little for how he is seen.

Mamoudou tries to change this opinion,

He actually does fairly well.

At least it looks like the Umayyads are breaking up.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

Almost as embarrassing as when the Shia had to go to war with Ghana to get Mecca back HEYO!

EDIT: Anyway, we really need to fix this boats thing, because how in the name of the Well Serpent are we gonna conquer Iberia if we can't move more than 800 men at a time?

When we head north, we should get more boat building provinces as we go!

I just hope the next time I start a war with the Umayyads, they don't call in three other superpowers. I'd kinda like to get back on the expansion trial.

Although that said, I'm building Ghana's economy up at a fantastic rate - I've founded four new cities in the last hundred years! that should help us a lot when EUIV rolls around.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

He has to. He had SOME ships. I've tried playing a Romuva game and nearly went mad from lack of ships when I watched Scandanavia crumble to my north with no way of taking advantage.

I've taken a quick look at the provinces, and I can't see a way to build shipyards in any of them.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Bot 02 posted:

That seems like a really good idea, actually. Is there any reason why we haven't been fighting more defensively against the Umayyads? I'm getting the impression we're outnumbered against them, so I would think that would be a better a strategy.

Out forces match the Umayyads, but as they are Muslims, they get to call on allies in defencive wars, meaning that they bring in anohter 20,000 men from their neigbours.

I have a plan though.

I could say if it will work or not, but I'm halfway through writing the next update....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Mamadou gives his son the Capital to look after, and moves his capital north for a time to try and focus building it up. This also gives his son a chance to make his own way. It takes a few years for the countries money to build up to the point of being useful.

The Umayyad's go to war with the Aghlabids, and the Mansa decides to try his luck at war once more.
Third time lucky right?

He masses his troops this time, but does not do so in time to stop the keep in Tafilalet from being burned down.

This time the first battle is a Ghanan victory.

The war with the Aghlabids ends, and they immediately come to the aid of the Umayyads.

Mamoudou's Marshall is able to combine his forces in time for the main Muslim army to hit, and a epic battle occurs.

Killing near two to one, the Ghanan light infantry and their bows, lead by better generals, turn the tide and win the day.

Another huge army slams into the force lead by Marshal Outai.

Another 5,000 Ummayad troops arrive and this battle turns from a victory to a defeat.

Mamoudou hires five thousand of his own mercenaries and sends his army back in.

The next year sees many more battle against smaller forces as the Sheik tries to raise armies but Outai can catch them before they form up.

With one final battle the strength of the Umayyad's is finally broken.

The war ends, and Marrakesh, one of the sites holy to the Snake in the Well, becomes part of Ghana!

With three cities, two castles and a temple, it is a province worth taking, even at the cost of tens of thousands of lives.

The Muslim Wali is removed from the mosque and it is given to his half brother.

It maybe peaceful now for Ghana as a country, but there are always the inter-tribal wars to watch. Here Gao and Kumbee-Tenga are scrapping over some of the minor tribes.

Goa win. Mamoudou is not worried, as it will split in half in the next generation.

The next couple of years pass peacefully, and Marrakesh begins to pay into the royal coffers. Then Manaoudou is told of a plot against him.

This is quickly followed by another revelation that forces him to remove his Spymaster.

The Mansa's wife dies.

In true Ogoonu tradition, She is replaced by a lustful woman half the Mansa's age. (No lustful sixteen year olds were available)

Although it risks the old man's heart, he gives her his all. He may be called the effeminate, but it seems that Mamoudou is bisexual at least.

The Muslim population in Tafilalet do not take kindly to the words of the Well Snake.

Three and a half thousand of them launch and attack on the Mansa's garrison. Men are called up from all quarters to help put this revolt down.

Even with a thousand more men they cannot defeat true Ghanan soldiers.

The rebels are quickly crushed and N'Guna, the leader, executed.

After thirty two years on the throne Mamoudou dies. It is fitting that his epitaph is “He was effeminate, for an Ogoonu!” The Mansa's lands are split between his three eldest sons.

Zakoi II takes the reigns of the country. He already has a son of age, and four daughters. He is a naive appraiser, wrothful, gregarious, cynical and gluttonous, he remains a kind man. He also has a huge pile of money.

The Umayyads seem to have been waiting for this moment, as they declare war. Marrakesh is theirs they say, and they are coming to take it.

It does seem that Mamoudou was not finished populating the world with Ogoonus.

Armies are massed.

It takes some time, but Zakoi is able to finally bring the enemy to battle. Starvation and forced marches have reduced both armies by a great deal.

This is another great Ghanan victory, and allows the new Mansa to prove his worth on the field of battle, something that has been lacking from recent monarchs.

The Umayyads bring up another army of huge size, and a series of defeats force the Ghanan's back into their own lands.

As we bring this update to a close, we see the old Ghanan tactic of paying for a whole load of mercenaries come into play. The tide turns and the Muslim forces flee north through the inhospitable desert.

While you will have to wait for the resolution of that conflict, we have reached the turning of another century, and it is time to see what has been happening in the world.

Ghana is still Ghana.

Aquataine is the only Christian power left in Iberia, it is now split between four powers.

Western Europe sees France and Aquitaine holding lands, Lombardy has lost the lands of East Francia, but there are several large kingdoms here.

Britain is split between England and Scotland.

Scandinavia has Norway hanging on to the coast with Karelia the main power.

Central Europe has the normal patchwork of countries.

But, I can hear you asking from here, who are the blue nation?

It seems the Turks have been busy......
Byzantium is crumbling, and has a number of buffer states.

Finally, the Middle East and North East Africa. Arabia is a major power here.

Some interesting things going on there.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

They're just Roman around. Had to take out the Third Rome before it got going in this timeline. Two of them is bad enough!

That's it, you've officially been spending to much time around Turos.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Sandman posted:

Grey, just out of curiosity, have you considered the potential benefits of assassinating enemy army commanders as soon as they go into battle? Especially if they're good at it.

Considered yes, but its a little gamey and so far we've had the better commanders.

When I see a Military 22 guy rocking up with 20k troops, you can be drat sure the knives are coming out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We chase the enemy all the way back to Marrakesh before we can engage them.

We win of course.

It takes some time, but we are able to bring the Umayyads to the point of surrender.

Zakoi uses this victory to push through medium crown authority, something that seems to have lapsed at some point.

People think that Zakoi is moving to quickly, but he disagrees.

The Umayyads become the Asturians. Zakoi begins to build up his funds to go to war. He needs a good emergency mercenary fund.

A civil war soon erupts, and Zakoi makes his move, earlier than he had planned, but it is worth the risk.

It does not pay off, as the Qadirid win the war before Zakoi can.

Finally, someone is caught putting documents under the Mansa's door.

Uncle Igoumou seems to be planning something.

Although Zakoi does not want to do it, the man must die – the last uprising of this kind cost thousands of lives.

The Qadrid's and the Jalidid's go to war. This gives Zakoi a chance to hit them once more.

His wisdom is proven when the Qadrid army is attacked by a slightly larger Jalidid one. No matter who wins, the Qadrid army will be weakened past use.

We have to do very little fighting and are soon pillaging away!

Sheikh Mahmud soon surrenders.

Zakoi has over eight hundred gold in his account, having come out of the war much richer than he went in. it is only when Mercenaries are needed that the coffers of Ghana are drained.
To celebrate, he founds a new castle in the capital.

He also removes the Muslim lords in favour of his own family. So many Ogoonu, so few titles.

He also finds himself a hobby.

Abi-Bakr, Zakoi's half brother is planning a rebellion.

Zakoi is an old man now, and does not want to mess around with assassins. He goes for the good old fashioned “Throw him in jail” he doesn't kill him, that would be going to far.

The Aghlabids are at war, so Zakoi attempts to move closer to the Atlas mountains, the last of the Well Snake's holy provinces. In their prime the Muslims can call on huge numbers of troops, so Zakoi has to wait for these moments.

They turn their army around and the Mansa's heart sinks as he sees the size of it.

The advance army does not escape.

The Ghanan force massed to meet this is the largest seen so far, and a battle of epic proportions occurs in the sands of the Sahara, land where the Gahans have the advantage.

With more men and far superior generals, what other result can there be? Zakoi does not live to see the victory.

In a strange twist of fate, his son, who would have been Mamoudou II dies of an illness hours before his father.

Being the Mansa's only son, the title passes to his eldest Grandson, and fourteen year old Zenku I takes the throne. He is a charitable, gluttonous, proud and envious young man.

It is Zenku who gets the prestigue for the victory at Taghaza, which captures the Aghalbid Sultan and brings the war to an end!

The Sunni lord of Hanyan is stripped of his title.

Zenku comes of age, a skilled tactician.

This is a man ready to lead his country to glory.

This period ends with the news that there has been a successful Crusade for Jerusalem. How long the Christians can hold out is unknown.

• Locked thread