Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

West Africa would be great, because that's one place where I am quite sure none of these Mega LPs has ever given a proper treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Grey Hunter posted:

Voting, Such as it was, is now over.

You guys suck at following instructions, so We shall be Dongu Ogoona of Ghana!

Hooray! We have triumphed over what would be the millionth Paradox game set in the British Isles! Glory to Ogoona of Ghana!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

uPen posted:

They're so far down the line of succession it doesn't really matter.

That is until they start murdering all of your legitimate children. :ese:

I believe we are stuck with Gavelkind until we reform our faith, so our realm will be fragmented between them once Dongu dies. Which we might as well ride, 600 years is a lot of CK2 and we'll need plenty of domestic disputes to keep things interesting.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Veryslightlymad posted:

Man. Do Norse not have affairs or something? I've had a Norse campaign going from the earliest start date to nearly 1200 and neither myself nor any of my spouses have had any affairs.*

*(Although, I think the "My spouse is pregnant but was away, wasn't I?" event is a CK2+ thing.)

I can confirm it is vanilla because I distinctly remember an unmodded MP game where my friend's character married a woman in my court who happened to be my lover and I got events that suggested I was the father to about four of his children.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I guess we can entertain ourselves with continuous dynastic politics once we consolidate West Africa, since Gavelkind means we'll have a lot of landed family members to stab each other. Another goal would be to reform our faith and then create successor kingdoms in the Maghreb or even Western Europe, or, alternately, convert to Islam and spend a few generations purging the old religion from our territory.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Too bad local resources aren't relevant in CK2, it won't be until EUIV that we'll get rich from this.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

fermun posted:

It's so weird that the pagan holy sites are set up the way they are, 3 actual holy sites and 2 representing areas important enough that a victory temple would probably be built there if conquered. I get why it's done that way, just seems bizarre until you actually conquer that province.

It is even better for Aztecs, if memory serves it's something like Rome, Paris, London, Constantinople and Alexandria.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rumda posted:

Check the dynasty tree it shows how many living and total members of your dynasty there are, as well has how many titles Ogoonu's have held since Dongu I.

Also can you post an image of the dynasty tree fully opened up it should be glorious, even so early into the game.

I hope Grey has some monster computer to open that thing in 1444 without having his house burn down.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DentedLamp posted:

Speaking of descendant weirdness, does anyone know what the deal with the "Divine Blood" trait is/what it does? I've seen it on an Egyptian Monophysite family by the surname "Ptolemy" in the 867 start date, and I have of course invited them to become my Dukes of Scotland, but I've not yet observed anything interesting from them.

I believe it reduces the odds of inbreeding traits from close family.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Readingaccount posted:

Oh, right, thanks.

And I suppose sending the targets are probably unreformed pagan too, so even if the armies aren't eradicated piecemeal when sending them by their constituent pieces they'd take horrible attrition while slowly rallying.

Actually, that might be just what Grey needs to win against the Umayyads. Declare war, organize your stack deep into your own territory and bait them into doing the Yakety Sax around Ghana (since the AI prioritizes killing their enemy's army) while laughing that they are dying by the hundreds to our unreformed pagan bonus. The deserts are the greatest allies of the Ogoonu!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Surgut nationalists will be one very smug people if things continue like this.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mecca is the Third Timbuktu.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Who needs to become Rome? We should become Carthage instead.

Yep, we don't need those Eurocentric titles, the Snake has its own legacy!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Drop the Norway and it will work.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Form the Empire of Mali, then rename it to Ogoona Empire (you don't need the DLC, just go into localization) and switch its Coat of Arms to the Wheel Snake. There, done, simple. It really is one of the easiest things to mod.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Grey Hunter posted:

Right, I've hit something of a snag, Morroco, having been part of Ghana for more than 50 years has dissipated, and its not letting me make the kingdom of Algiers either. (not that I would want to without the other)

Am I missing something in the interface?

You can just do it directly on the save. Open it on Notepad++ or something of the sort, get the player ID on the top and note it down somewhere. Now look for "k_morocco=" add the line holder="<id>" just after it, and then do the same for "k_algiers=". Easy peasy.

Edit: Uh... Probably make a backup until you are comfortable with messing with save files, I guess?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

You need to own three kingdom titles, I believe. Titular ones do not count, however, so if Morocco no longer has any De Jure territories you will need to conquer the Kingdom of Africa as well.

my dad posted:

Imagine what Gray's tendency to make unfortunate typos could do when applied to game files... :allears:

One time on Paraskype Grey was wondering why his EU3 scenario didn't have the right names for the new tags. Turns out it he had named his "localisation" folder as "localization".

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I don't think anyone would judge you if you went into the save and added your holder="<id>" to e_ghana= (which is a titular empire that exists, now that I'm looking into the files) so that would be wrapped up.

Just remember to search for <id>= and change your primary_title from k_ghana to e_ghana or there might be a weird bug that will correct itself on the next inheritance.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

If Ghana gets too powerful, well, EU4 does have difficulty levels. Hard AI, for example, is just like Normal AI, except it recognizes the player as a player and tries to screw him over at every turn.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Grey Hunter posted:

It would be great, the only problem would be getting the screenshots. the game is real time, and people would need to pause it all the time to take notes and stuff. it may take a time to play.

Unless people do videos and full Roleplaying.

Main problem with doing MP in my experience is scheduling, and yeah, it reduces the pace of the game dramatically. I'd recommend saving it for particularly momentous wars or periods, where the human element may add a dose of uncertainty for what would be a predictable affair.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Civilized Fishbot posted:

If we're really concerned about Ghana being too powerful in EU4, just have Grey play multiplayer against Wiz.

Wiz did the AI for EU4, so singleplayer is already multiplayer versus Wiz.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Also Sicily is "distant overseas" for Ghana, due to the way that regions work, so it's more valuable as a vassal or a friendly foreign state than as part of the Empire.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Soylent Pudding posted:

Given trade route direction and colonization range wouldn't South America be the better choice?

It is, Brazil directs straight to the Ivory Coast trade node, which we can then direct to Timbuktu for extra money if the capital is there. If it in Tunis it will be less profitable to colonize in that direction. Seville (Morocco) will probably be the wealthiest trade node in Ghana, but then there is competition from the Andalusion Ogoonu, which would cut down on profits. Alexandria would also be a very good choice for capital if expansion is directed towards India and beyond, as trade from that direction can be directed to it, but I still think Timbuktu is better, as Asian trade can be directed around the Horn of Africa and towards that capital, gaining in value as it moves, which should be feasible with a monopoly of the provinces in the region.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ghetto Prince posted:

That is fascinating, and also horrifying

:gonk:

Now imagine filling those intestines with blood and eating them.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Drone posted:

How does the converter handle Sahelian religion? Or are we just Animist now?

Sahelian comes out of the converter comfortably enough. All the reformed religions do.

Grey Hunter posted:

So far the only "Big" thing I can see is that our culture, Sosso, has changed to Mali, and Sosso does not exist as a culture in EUIV. this is not a big thing.

Although if I could alter the pool of adviser names so they only contain one entry, I would be happy.

And well, it is possible, but advisors come from the same pool as leader (generals/admiral) names, I believe, so it would affect them as well. And yeah, the converter does a lot of dumb things with cores or cultures, nothing game-breaking, but annoying nonetheless. Easiest way to go around that would be to hunt down in localization for Mali culture and make it show up as Sosso or Ogoonu.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I don't have PMs, but I'm pretty much done with my own conversion and I find Paradox modding as fun as actually playing the games. Feel free to shout at me on Steam if you want any help.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Grey Hunter posted:

Right, the conversion is going well, I'm going to take a crack at the ideas tomorrow, and have only got to track down a couple of province files to mod them - most of France converted over to Italy, leaving the Karling French Queen with just Paris, but in trying to fix this, I've been having problems finding a few of the provinces, I think they may have different names in the files to the game. which is annoying.

Use this. It lets you edit province and country history with a proper graphical interface, which should make this and other things a lot easier.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

They are also our only actual rival, so it's not like anyone will jump at this opportunity to mess up with Ghana.

By the way, Grey, you can exterminate natives in colonies. The province will be more valuable if you don't, but when they prove particularly nasty (or you can't afford to keep token garrisons) it can be worthwhile. Most of the African provinces are lot tougher to tame than the ones in the Americas, to be fair.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Leave Diplotech behind. You already have the final ship types, the rest of that tree is pretty negligible for our position.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hogge Wild posted:

Isn't UK somewhere in Germany at the moment?

For the last 400 years, yeah.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Patter Song posted:

Also IIRC South Africa has some coal.

There is coal in west Africa as well, so we'll be fine. I really can't think of any strategic resource that cannot be found in Africa. Sulfur, maybe?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

Given that Victoria 2 starts with the Industrial Revolution already started (as much as the UK has a working Machine Tools factory), how would one evaluate where it started in a conversion?

The fact that we are playing an extra 16 years of EU4 will mean that a lot of nations will have maximum techs. So I'd say idea groups should serve as a basis for tech advancement. Nations with Innovative, Economic and Administrative should probably fare better in terms of starting industry.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

That depends on how many ports they have in their home continent, so if Texas has developed ports they will also have the ability to field a large fleet, and if they make it to the 20th century all that oil will make them a juggernaut. They are Texans and they are Vikings, who will ever mess with them?

By the way, Grey, hit me up on Steam about building those OOBs if you want help. Spheres of influence are also set there.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

i81icu812 posted:

Well, that's just because the flagchat people were too lazy to also add the Welsh and Burgundian crosses to compliment the English, Scottish, and Irish crosses. The UK is going to unite all of the cross flags of the world.

Let's do this one at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Not sure how badly these wars are wasting your manpower, but I am quite certain you're near the point where you can just ignore infamy and go to town.

• Locked thread