Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
I'd like to see something outside of Europe. Maybe... Abyssinia? Writing one up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

ግራጫ አዳኝ (Geracha Adany) of Abyssinia

Hail Geracha Adany the First, Lion of Abyssinia.

His people hope his ascendency to the throne of Abyssinia will herald a great age of wise stewardship, cultural advancement, and military might. However, his difficulty in the ways of letters and learning has seriously hindered his grasp of diplomacy. (Thought understanding of court intrigue not harmed as much).

In his childhood, Geracha claimed he was guided by voices of saints (His enemies claim they were devils), and so he is a devout ___(Whatever default is, think Orthodox Christian?)___. Despite this, or perhaps because of it, some of his actions may have been rash and his choices less than prudent, but fortunately, his determination to see things through has let him finish his work where lesser men might have given up.

Upon hearing of his father's grave illness, Geracha rushed to the capitol just after successfully dealing with a neighboring nation's threatening stance. Sadly, the old king's health gave way, leading to young Geracha to take extra measures to ensure his health and well-being. He is painfully aware, however, that he must seek to produce an heir as soon as possible to ensure his family's line continues to lead and guide Abyssinia

Glory to Abyssinia!

ግራጫ (ge-raa-chaa) አዳኝ ~ (ad-any)

Vaga42Bond fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 5, 2013

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

I'm not sure if I can make a second submission, but:

Queen Barbie Millicent Roberts, of __(location does not matter)__

The Glamorous Queen, She of Unearthly Beauty and Figure. Her ascendency to the Dream Castle throne caps a long career, one in which she has played many roles in life.

From being a mere consort to physician, explorer, warrior, teacher, to merchant, she has lead a varied life. Her geniality and hosting of grand parties ability has lead to her strong Diplomatic skills; and despite how many other kingdoms surround her mock a land run by a woman, she is a strong warrior woman, leading the charge astride her magic war horse. However, her stewardship is sometimes called into question during her many shopping trips that drain much of the royal treasury. She has a fair bit of learning, though her studies of the mathematical arts was filled with complaints that "it was hard".

With her royal consort, Ken, she is the start of a new era for her kingdom.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Neruz posted:

And the other 1% of the time it's somewhere in the middle-east. No love for Africa.

Africa was the cradle of our entire goddamn species we should pay it a little more respect :colbert:

I just like Ethiopia (Abyssinia) because it's thought that humans first appeared as a species in Ethiopia. So in a way, all humans began as Ethiopian. Even the Welsh are Ethiopians too!

But I'd be willing to rewrite my first suggestion to Ghana so long as we get something other than Welsh.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Light infantry boost - Men with poison arrows!

This is awesome, and we need to do this. :black101: Ideally with someone who's really good with subterfuge to explain away the awkwardness of their enemies collapsing, foaming at the mouth, and clawing at their eyes while screaming.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Now I have a glorious vision of our current Mansa sitting at a table with whatever locally passes for cheetos, mountain dew, and pizza, yelling at the kids to not touch his dice, and painting his wooden soldiers.

I mean, he even has a beard! :allears:

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

And I just picked them in the 866 start because they had a funny name :O

THE THINGS YOU (DON'T) KNOW.

As also mentioned, Historians have stricken the term "Dark Ages" from the timeline. I think now it's Early Middle Ages and Late Middle Ages.
As for nothing noteworthy in Europe - STEEL was invented in that time period. You know, that alloy we still use in our large scale constructions today. And the thing that defines Knight in Shining Armour.

But alas, our history education doesn't like admitting that someone else was better than Europe.

Well, actually, about Steel...

quote:

Steel was known in antiquity, and may have been produced by managing bloomeries, or iron-smelting facilities, in which the bloom contained carbon.

The earliest known production of steel is a piece of ironware excavated from an archaeological site in Anatolia (Kaman-Kalehoyuk) and is about 4,000 years old. Other ancient steel comes from East Africa, dating back to 1400 BC. In the 4th century BC steel weapons like the Falcata were produced in the Iberian Peninsula, while Noric steel was used by the Roman military.

Steel was produced in large quantities in Sparta around 650BC.

The Chinese of the Warring States (403–221 BC) had quench-hardened steel, while Chinese of the Han Dynasty (202 BC – 220 AD) created steel by melting together wrought iron with cast iron, gaining an ultimate product of a carbon-intermediate steel by the 1st century AD. The Haya people of East Africa invented a type of furnace they used to make carbon steel at 1,802 °C (3,276 °F) nearly 2,000 years ago.
But yeah, it's kinda staggering that while a little about, say, China's inventions come up, you hear pretty much nothing from the Middle East or Africa's tech contribution.

ZeroCount posted:

You say this like ancient Muslim Dynasty Warriors wouldn't be absolutely amazing.
I would play the poo poo out of a decent Dynasty Warriors-esq game set like that.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Back on the topic of Ghana, someone with a head for geography please explain why is there that inland strip that cuts across the Sahara that Ghana now owns? I understand so much coastal territories, and why most of the Sahara is empty, but that little strip?

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

littleorv posted:

No, we would just burn down your white house again :colbert:
You do know that given today's political climate in the US, this is not really a threat so much a reward for some people. And while you're at it, the Capitol Building too.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Looks like the trading route from Taghaza to Sijilmasa, called the Taghaza road, which was an ancient trading route used in this period. A developed trading route would be the only way across the Sahara.
That's actually rather fascinating. I wonder why and how it manages to cross the Sahara. Old riverbed that cut the sands? A series of watering holes? An underground qualifier?

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Neruz posted:

Its amusing how many times throughout history people have been caught with their pants down in war because they thought no-one would be stupid enough to try something insane and were totally wrong.

It's why there's a saying, "Don't plan for what the enemy might do. Plan for what they CAN do."

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

It has a really nice almost lovecraftian or even 40k slant to it, where the lesser lords are forever trying to find enough suitable genetic stock to keep up with the massive amount of sex-having, because if they don't the royal line will degenerate into some sort of proto-ape that chokes to death on its own buck teeth, and the country will fall apart, because nobody else has the right to rule.

I'm wondering if the country will end up a democracy by default at this rate.

I'm secretly hoping the Ogoona Blood Line will result in someone like King Charles II of Spain.

quote:

Charles II's genome was actually more homozygous than that of a child whose parents are siblings. He was born physically and mentally disabled, and disfigured. Possibly through affliction with mandibular prognathism, he was unable to chew. His tongue was so large that his speech could barely be understood, and he frequently drooled. It has been suggested that he suffered from the endocrine disease acromegaly, or his inbred lineage may have led to a combination of rare genetic disorders such as combined pituitary hormone deficiency and distal renal tubular acidosis.

:allears:

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

What's that Blue Natio... oh. Oh. OH.

:aaaaa:

drat the Turks are busy. Only they seem to be much further north than historical?

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

nimby posted:

Ghana is finally getting strong enough to start steamrolling through the Muslims. Next stop, Jerusalem Mecca!

We need to reclaim that which is rightfully ours. :colbert:

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

Our coat of arms should be changed to a dong with a crown on it.

What do you think the "well" and "snake" really are, in our Well Snake religion? :pervert:

The flag should be a crown-like well, and a very Freudian snake.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

RZApublican posted:

That really depends on whether we fall into the Latin or even Muslim tech group at the start. Knowing Paradox, we'll likely start out in the African one, which is significantly more challenging.

Considering how much exposure we've had to the Muslims (Ghanan Mecca forever!), we really should be in Muslim Tech.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Crusader Kings II is the Steam Holiday Sale Daily Special. 75% off the whole thing.

How much the game is as much giggles and fun as seen in an LP, and how much is a "Click Next Turn" as I've been told can happen?

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Nah, the challenge would be a update without a spelling mistake.

Volmarias posted:

Grey Hunter's ultimate LP.

I think I found your ultimate LP, Grey...

The Typing of the Dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Really? You really want me to do this?

Yes. Also, it's available on Steam. A bit too late for the Steam Holiday Sale though.

• Locked thread