Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

quote:

Ffwyld Ap Owyn,

Duchy of Deheubarth

I'd say really if you were going to make this guy you'd need to make him either Duke or Count of Gwenydd (and personally I'd say Count, just to make it that much harder) ("Gwin-ith") so as to go for maximum unpronounceability (also if you want to have him anointed on Ynys Mon he probably ought to actually rule it).

I was basically writing something identical to the above post so I'll stop. But I should note in addition that the traditional arms of Wales would be something like plain layout, slot 19, colour 1 as 2, colour 2 as 12, and emblem 21. Collossally anachronistic in the 870s, since the green and white are Tudor additions, though the dragon badge does date from around that time. It's also much prettier than the historical arms of either Deheubarth or Gwenydd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

lenoon posted:

edit 2: My god, I've gone SteppeWolf style nationalist over this, haven't I?

Pretty much. Wales tends to inspire a man to poetry (or overblown hackneyed prose), though.

Well, provided you stay away from the (north or south) coast, anyway, these days.

A brief explanation of why Gwenydd makes more sense than Ghana as a starting position is the following: Goons are broadly OK on their European history and can therefore be expected to come up with approximately plausible alternate history scenarios for whatever weird stuff happens around up this time. In general, a chronicle of Africa is far less likely to be entertaining to read, since neither the LPer nor the audience really knows their subject as well.

(edit: On the other hand, the last time I suggested a place for a Paradox LP it was Crete, and look how that turned out...)

Ilanin fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 5, 2013

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

I like how goons can't read the OP as well :)

It's somewhat ironic that an entire thread of people who seem to spend a large part of their time laughing at Grey's inability to navigate (usually fairly complicated) interfaces have failed so completely at correctly interpreting what were really very simple instructions.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Voting, Such as it was, is now over.

You guys suck at following instructions, so We shall be Dongu Ogoona of Ghana!

Use the Welsh Arms anyway, just because (plain layout, slot 19, colour 1 as 2, colour 2 as 12, and emblem 21).

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

I believe Grey considers that his attempts to annex the rest of West Africa constitute such preparation, the goal being to control sufficient holdings so as to actually have more troops than the Gaoans.

This is Grey we're talking about, so acquiring a reliable source of men to feed into a meatgrinder obviously constitutes sound strategic prioritisation.

• Locked thread