Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Duke Petty King Cnut of Jylland

Proud, Brave, Ambitious, Honest, Lustful

He has long had one overwhelming ambition, to bring a few thousand buddies and settle down in North Norse Africa

I realize it's probably too late to get a majority for this, but I love raiding, and Barbary Vikings sounds fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Readingaccount posted:

Yeah, way to be counter-cultural by selecting a fenced off nation for max excitement.

Let's turn Ghana into the world hub for slaves!

It's not totally fenced off, there are 2 paths to Morocco, via the Timbuktu route and the coastal route. Already Ghana is fairly powerful with 9ish counties. I'm sure there will be some kind of mod used for EU4 as well to make Africa more exciting. Plus, 600 years is a LONG time, Ghana can really become a world player in that time.

lenoon posted:

Happily! Is that alright Grey?

I'd be super interested in this. If Grey doesn't want it clogging up the thread, can you do an Ask/Tell thread?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
It's so weird that the pagan holy sites are set up the way they are, 3 actual holy sites and 2 representing areas important enough that a victory temple would probably be built there if conquered. I get why it's done that way, just seems bizarre until you actually conquer that province.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

littleorv posted:

No, we would just burn down your white house again :colbert:

The war of 1812 is the best because every side won but was friendly afterwards and it mattered to none of them afterwards, so we all have these stupid things. America fought off the top naval power in the world to stop the kidnapping of sailors, Britain burned down the White House, Canada was there.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Good to have you back Grey. Given Ghanan history so far, I'm not really worried about Mamoudou producing an heir, despite his preferences.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/09/040930122428.htm

I am pretty sure that we are at a point where the most recent common ancestor of all humans can be assumed to be an Ogoona family member.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
He got to the point where he could ignore opponents, so he intentionally went over the badboy limit to start the badboy war chain, every defensive war he would win then take territory, then get declared on by his new neighbors. At the time badboy didn't add revoltrisk.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Truly the Well Snake is a powerful god, turning back time itself when things went badly.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Nafissa's second son, Fatta (not one I modified, before anyone starts) dies.

No one thinks that Fatto-Fatto is a racially loaded term in current use. Bongo-Bongo is rarely but still used. No one thinks your change of Bonga to Bongo was racially loaded given context of your spelling deficiencies. Could you not feed that?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Ghana probably would not be called Carthage by any Europeans either. They'd probably refer to it as some kind of Moorish Empire despite holding and ruling from Tunisia. Ghana right now is far richer and more powerful than Carthage ever was and covers significantly more territory than Carthage ever did. The Vandal Kingdom covered basically the same territory that Carthage did, and never styled itself Carthage either. The important thing in the minds of people about the first Carthage is not the glory before its defeat but its defeat itself. Ghana is a power on the rise not a power to be defeated.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Nah, its going to Base Raiders, a FATE based game by our own Clockwork Joe

HOWEVER! There is a chance that the wife will go away for a week on a course in febaury, wich will give me a few nights free. I could run another one-shot if people are interested, once I get confirmation on dates when/if its happening I'll let you know.

I'd love to see you do Don't Rest Your Head as a one-shot.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Daeren posted:

On topic of the game, are we planning on colonizing by land all the way around the coast of Africa, or are we going to be scouting down around the cape with explorers and hopping colonies at the max colonial range until we get a foothold in some good trade nodes? Going by land might mean other colonizing powers get the good poo poo before we do.

Though, with Castile and Portugal landlocked, France currently dealing with imported megadukes, and the British Isles balkanized, we actually may not have much competition at all.

Portucale and Leon are probably each pretty close to vanilla Portugal strength, maybe slightly under, though neither had Madeira as a jumping point, the Canaries are Ghanan, and Portucale is slightly north of where Portugal can jump off from otherwise. I think it is likely that Ghana can block off other colonizers just by owning all of the African coast down to Sierra Leon while also likely we will eventually annex the coast on Benin, etc. It would take Grey focusing on the coast specifically and also grabbing Cape Verde. Very doable, but it needs either spare armies to keep native revolts from damaging the colonies or to clear the land for the Ghanan colonists.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

SIGSEGV posted:

Well, 90% of Europe is a descendant of Charlemagne so it kinda makes sense. It would be about 90% all Welsh people, though.

Probably 100%!
http://itotd.com/articles/226/most-recent-common-ancestors/
http://humphrysfamilytree.com/ca.math.html

Go back far enough in time and anyone who is alive who has living descendants is an ancestor of everyone.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Ghana is insanely wealthy, and if the army support limit were to be raised, or just going over the support limit, multiple colonies could be maintained by withdrawing the colonist after a colony were established and letting the natural, slower growth rate finish the colony while colonial efforts were refocused on the next colony. Ghana could colonize much faster than it is currently if it had a slightly larger army, just 5000 or so more men. As soon as the army is slightly larger and that can be done, colonization will go at a pretty quick pace.

Add to that the fact that the Canaries are Ghanan, Cape Verde could be Ghanan if Grey wanted to get an African island that Europeans would use as a stepping stone, and the fact that Ghana has a huge head-start in terms of coastal distances, Europe can be held off without even interfering with them directly. Ghana can get there first if Cape Verde is grabbed, and it's also worth checking out about Madeira's current status. With a concerted effort on coastal colonization, Ghana can hold off European colonizers just by distance from their core territory forever.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Zurai posted:

I'm pretty sure that uniting Islam in EU4 is one of those trap options the devs put in to help find exploits (like the Ryukyu world conquest achievement). It requires so many provinces in so many different wide-spread areas of the world covered by so many strong powers that it's virtually impossible to do. You need, owned by yourself or a vassal, Constantinople, Cordoba (Spain), Lower Sind (India), Iraq-i-Arab, Mecca, Medina, Sicily, Dagestan, Damascus, Samarkand, Ifni, Aden, and Muscat, and all of those provinces must be Muslim. If you start with Constantinople, getting Cordoba is going to be rough, and if you start where Cordoba isn't that big a deal, getting Constantinople and the various Persian provinces is going to be problematic.

Right now the Abbasids have most of those provinces, but they have little chance of getting Ifni, Sicily, and Cordoba before the end of the game even if the AI were to actually prioritize it.

And no, it doesn't change your tag.

It also doesn't matter much in this particular game because the Abbasid Caliphate is already the Caliphate and has been since CK2. There isn't a challenger there. A unifying tag of Arabia etc. is a step down from already being the Caliphate.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Ghana isn't really very backwards, only a bit in administration.

Our timeline Tunisia, Morocco, and the western half of Algeria has also been under Ghanan rule with Ghanan administrators and following the Ghanan religion for so long that they are probably effectively Ghanan now. Ghanan kings were bringing in family members to handle every barony and many cities and temples for over 400 years, there's going to be a thoroughly Ghananized populace in Tunisia, Morocco, and Western Algeria.

The earliest colonizations in EU4 were same culture and same religion too, so are probably also fully Ghanan. South of the equator and East Africa is where Ghana really had a more standard colonization.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

Paradox itself is racist as poo poo. Anyone not Western European is inherently stupider and weaker than Western Europeans until they become just like Western Europeans, who start turning out invincible supermen by like halfway through EU4. Not to mention the evident bias towards Sweden all over this game.

But so I don't get probated, I'll let it lie there. And I'd offer to play against you Grey, but I neither have the game or knowledge of how it's played.

Paradox attempts a balance between historical results and historical causes. By a gameplay perspective, there are many things that need to be included and many things that are too complex to include with any accuracy. How do you include a historical-result technologically superior Europe when the reasons why it happened aren't really certain? That's not the only thing. The developers are Goons and will read what you write about potential alternative systems in the main Games Paradox megathread, but it's an argument that's been made before and I'm pretty convinced that they have considered the issue and settled where they did based on a desire for roughly historical outcomes without arcanely complex mechanics. Sweden also punched above its weight class, they were first to do a census in modern times and the 1749 census result was fairly shocking, no one realized how few people lived in Sweden before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

We find a mummy in the valley of the Kings, for some reason, the scientists tell me that this can help us with our current goal of heavy artillery.

Clearly the mummy was found accidentally while testing out some new shells. Fired them off, looked in the crater, and there it was.

• Locked thread