Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
drat Welshies, everyone knows Ghana deserve to be the next lords of the known world. It's time Africa got to be the awesome guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Pity you can't pick the Huns and found the line of Atilla.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Comrade Koba posted:

No matter who you'll start out as, it'll be pretty drat refreshing to see a mega-LP centered on Africa.

I love Paradox games, but 99% of the time it's Eurocentrism 101.

And the other 1% of the time it's somewhere in the middle-east. No love for Africa.

Africa was the cradle of our entire goddamn species we should pay it a little more respect :colbert:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Vaga42Bond posted:

I just like Ethiopia (Abyssinia) because it's thought that humans first appeared as a species in Ethiopia. So in a way, all humans began as Ethiopian. Even the Welsh are Ethiopians too!

But I'd be willing to rewrite my first suggestion to Ghana so long as we get something other than Welsh.

Honestly I don't particularly mind where exactly; I think it would just be really nice to see a Paradox game started from Africa because nobody ever starts in Africa.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Grey Hunter posted:

[b]Voting, Such as it was, is now over.[b]

You guys suck at following instructions, so We shall be Dongu Ogoona of Ghana!

And you suck at BBcode :v:

Also yay! Ghana power!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

steinrokkan posted:

Yet the sheet is still a vibrant, evolving organism.

Whoever is drawing the dick on the mario part of the sheet is a terrible person.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's going to be fascinating to see if Grey can bootstrap the Africans into relevance throughout the middle ages.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 6, 2013

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Pakled posted:

Awesome. I've never played as a West African pagan before, so going into this with no knowledge of what sort of unique bonuses and decisions they get is interesting.

I'm really interested to see just how far they've gone in modelling the various tribal relations and whatnot. Ovbiously the game still fits within the paradox 'shape' so to speak but there should be plenty of room for uniqueness in the african nations if the devs did their work.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

lenoon posted:

It's also that in vanilla, Ghana is incredibly boring. It looks like it'll be much more fun to play in CK+, so I'm happy with the decision.

We should, before a huge 'japs and nips' conversation kicks off, put the kibosh on 'I consider this or that racist'. Lets all be considerate and nice as the Ghanaian empire spreads across the face of the known world.

Ain't no place for those degenerate white people in our glorious african empire.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Just because Ghana was never relevant on the world stage in reality doesn't mean Grey can't make them relevant; he has several centuries to get Ghana into shape and if he can manage to secure the majority of Africa he'll actually be in a pretty good position.

I'd also like to hear about some African history; out of all the major continents the history of Africa seems to get glossed over the most and I know very little about what the hell was going on down there during the middle ages.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

nimby posted:

Sadly this type of trade turned into "Sitting on mountains of gold and getting conquered by foreigners who will wage absurd amounts of war to get it".

True but Grey has the benefit of not being a middle-ages african tribal leader or whatever the hell they had at that point in time so he can turn that into 'trading mountains of gold for fancy foreigner weapons so they think twice about trying to steal our mountains of gold we can conquer the world and install an African World Regime!'

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

lenoon posted:

We'll get to him I'm sure - right now the big issue is "where the rulers of the Ghana Empire sub saharan african, berber or ...?"

Based on what I can find with a google search I'd guess sub saharan african; a 9th century berber historian described Ghana as one of the three most organized states in the region, also apparently the term 'Ghana' was actually the title applied to the leader of the nation and it was misapplied by the Arabs who kept records and thus ended up being the name of the nation and the capital as well as the leader. Apparently the Ghanese rulers were renowned for their opulence, warrior and hunting skills and as masters of trade in gold.

There were apparently also some western Sudanic rulers later until Ghana was conquered by various neighbours in the 11th century, but I'm not entirely sure who the Sudanics are.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Espy posted:

It would be funny if our big invasion started in Wales, although it wouldn't make much sense to me unless we didn't see the Strait of Gibraltar while sailing.

God only knows how you could miss the entire Strait of Gibraltar.

Then again this is the man who accidentally blew up a planet with a literal forgotten superweapon so if anyone could do it...

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Espy posted:

I'm assuming that Ghana when it establishes a Navy will thus explore on the coastline and not sail flat out into open water.

Yes I am assuming the Ghanese captains are not utterly insane and totally incompetant.

Which might not be a viable assumption in this game actually...

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

nimby posted:

Is that a poetic way of Mansa Musa to say he killed the guy before him and hid the body really well?

Probably...

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Espy posted:

Small pox would kill them off like in the original timeline.

Would Ghanese sailors carry smallpox? According to wikipedia smallpox from the Portugese decimated inner-African populations in the 16th century and while smallpox was definitely known in Africa it doesn't seem to have been anything like as common as it was in eurasia at the time.

Which assumes these games actually model the whole smallpox obliterating the native americans thing; do they?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
So what I'm getting from this is that at this point in history Ghana should be a pretty lucrative option for investment in gold mines. I wonder if the in-game Ghana has a lot of gold to exploit.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

lenoon posted:

This would be very in keeping with my shoddy knowledge of the history of the Ghana empire. Bastards for all!

Afaik the Africans were never as into the whole monogamy thing as much as Europeans were so yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the various African leaders of the era fathered a metric fuckton of bastards all over their domains.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TildeATH posted:

Europe is a goiter on the side of Asia with the environmental and cultural diversity of a can of tomato soup. To compare it to a continent that includes Carthage, Egypt, Hippo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Congo, Mali, and Chinhua Achebe.. well, that's a bad idea.

In this case I am referring to the sub-saharan africans inhabiting... well Ghana. While I'm sure that monogamy was the norm for humanity in general throughout history: Polygamy, especially in relation to a powerful man having lots of wives, was much less rare in the sub-saharan african tribes and nations. The dominance of monogamy in europe was substantially influenced by the cultural domination of abrahamic faiths; a domination which did not exist in sub-saharan africa where the religions were much more localized.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Or get a couple more wives. gently caress your way to an army and victory!

Having so many children that it is effectively impossible to end your lineage has worked rather well in the past; see Ghengis Khan's descendants.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Out-breeding your enemies is a perfectly viable if rather long-term strategy.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Nyaa no nyaa eh. Interesting linguistic structure.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Veloxyll posted:

They're archers, and the weakest shock troops. Archers are pretty decent, since they get to attack in the fire phase.

Poison on those would be pretty useful then.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm sure together Grey and the RNG will be able to make things interesting.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

uPen posted:

You mean pointing at Europe.

By the time Ghana is done with it Europe is going to be several shades darker than it used to be.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Our succession laws still split the country amongst heirs don't they? So that will at the very least give us something more than staring dumbly at the screen, we might also get lucky and the Umayyad will suffer some more internal strife. We'll just have to wait and see.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Its a pity we can't just exploit our insanely plentiful natural gold reserves to buy enough mercs to let us take on the Muslims in a fair fight.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Everyone's forgotten about the gate to hell by now, it really wasn't that big a deal apparently.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Good lord man don't quote the entire post.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Nice to see the Ogoona line is strong and healthy.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

simplefish posted:

I think Marakesh would be pushing it in his lifetime. Also, are all GH games now 'Conquer Spain'?

Spain is Grey's Poland.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Even a lot of the myths and legends of sub-saharan Africa remain largely undocumented in the western world. White historians apparently just decided to ignore half the continent because it was full of brown people.

Which is a great pity because there are some brilliant myths and legends out there and many of them have those little touches that suggests a long time ago the story might have been based on something that happened.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Pakled posted:

Nope. We're at the southwestern corner of the map. The last post in the last update shows as far south as the map goes.

Which is a pity because if we had access to South Africa we could grow our Ghanan empire to massive levels of power without tangling with the drat Muslims.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

goatface posted:

We'd have to spread south through the Congo.

Nothing good ever comes from warring in the Congo.

This is the Ogoona line we're talking about. They'd be having sex in the Congo.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Plus we're not out-of-place europeans, we're native sub-saharan africans so warring in the Congo should be a lot less of a big deal to us than it would be to say the British. At the very least we'd have much better relations and wider diplomatic options available.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Rumda posted:

Well that's kind of like saying its better for the Ottomans to go Russian across central Asia, since at least they were steppe nomads too.

I think the Ottomans would have an easier time of it than the English, not to say that it would be a good idea or anything just relative levels of difficulty.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Grey is establishing one hell of an Ogoona dynasty here. I'm impressed; at this rate by the end of the LP the entire African continent is going to bear the Ogoona name.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Either way it's Ogoonsomething so it's extremely appropriate.

The fact that Ghana can pretty much declare war on smaller nation-states nearby makes perfect sense from a political standpoint in the region too; I would imagine that around 1000 AD the sub-saharan african tribes and nations were frequently murdering the poo poo out of each other over various quibbles.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Ho-lee crap the Sultan of Mecca must have gotten high as balls on an opium binge right before he made that announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Civilized Fishbot posted:

It was completely impossible for Ghana to actually hold onto Mecca, right?

We could have at least made them conquer it the hard way :colbert:

• Locked thread