Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

ThornBrain posted:

With Ilyana he's more likely to go straight to where he's keeping the rest of the girls to drop her off.

Yeah, and Wei's not the kind of guy who can handle stuff like long-term surveillance. He'd get antsy and start punching random passersby. No bus windshield would be safe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Wei Shen: Sheriff

AKA John Wein

Next week we wrap up the main story.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So looking at Sleeping Dogs on the Playstation Store, holy CRAP there is a hell of a lot of DLC.

They went DLC-INSANE with this game.

Which are the ones I can skip, the Horse Armor?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
None of these DLCs where released in Germany though. :(
I am looking forward to seeing them.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Speedball posted:

So looking at Sleeping Dogs on the Playstation Store, holy CRAP there is a hell of a lot of DLC.

There's quite a few but there's only three BIG ones that add missions which I can't wait for you guys to do.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Wei Shen: murders men by the dozen, gets his rear end kicked by 3 chickens.

ares5566
Dec 14, 2012

I'm out there clicking cookies 8 hours a day, so that you can have a roof over your head and food on your table.
And this is the thanks I get?!

Speedball posted:

There's 4 that have missions: Wheels of fury, year of the snake, nightmare on north point and the zodiac tournament.

The rest either add non-story missions or are just costume/weapon packs.

Though if you're on pc like me....
http://store.steampowered.com/app/202170/
20 bucks for the whole set for the rest of the day...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

poo poo. Mac user. I really do oughta get a gaming rig one day.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

U.T. Raptor posted:

Wei Shen: murders men by the dozen, gets his rear end kicked by 3 chickens.

Insert joke about all it taking to bring down the mighty Wei Shen is a few cocks.

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:
Now that we're near the end of the main segment, I have a bit of an admission to make.

So a few years ago I LP'd a Vietnamese bootleg translation of PokeMon Crystal. One of the more memorable moments:

This is the kind of thing going through my head every time Wei's name gets said. But anyway, "Wei!" as it turns out is actually a casual Chinese greeting comparable to "Hi!".

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Epee Em posted:

Now that we're near the end of the main segment, I have a bit of an admission to make.

So a few years ago I LP'd a Vietnamese bootleg translation of PokeMon Crystal. One of the more memorable moments:

This is the kind of thing going through my head every time Wei's name gets said. But anyway, "Wei!" as it turns out is actually a casual Chinese greeting comparable to "Hi!".

I remember that LP, it was one of the first I read on the Archive before I bought an account. Also...kinda like in Darker than Black, where the main character is literally named "The Student."

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I really like Broken Nose Jiang's characterization so far. Like it's clear she has ambition to become Sun On Yee leader, but she's really the one you want leading especially compared to Big Smile Lee.

When you first meet her, she makes it very clear why Lee would be a terrible leader and Wei doesn't disagree with her. Even in the vandalism mission, her reasons to remove Two Chins was so Lee doesn't perceive Tsao as a threat and have the poor bastard killed.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Thus concludes the main story of Sleeping Dogs. We followed this up with a discussion on why Sleeping Dogs is so good compared to other GTA-style games.

Next time: The Zodiac Tournament

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
C'mon, Wei, it's ONLY a shotgun! WALK IT OFF, YOU PUSSY!

(Also, you did NOT touch the sky...)

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Question: Why did he not turn of the camera?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Samizdata posted:

C'mon, Wei, it's ONLY a shotgun! WALK IT OFF, YOU PUSSY!

He did.

ares5566
Dec 14, 2012

I'm out there clicking cookies 8 hours a day, so that you can have a roof over your head and food on your table.
Can't wait for the rest it's still going great so far.

By the way, you can see the collectibles on the big map just hit square. You only see the ones you unlocked through dates though. I actually thought that for a while then found it on accident at one point.
There's many nuances in the game that are never explained or even necessary as well. I even just learned one in this video, I never knew about the tackle finisher.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Those white boxes you were shoving peoples' heads into weren't empty, they had panes of glass in them :eng101:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

U.T. Raptor posted:

Those white boxes you were shoving peoples' heads into weren't empty, they had panes of glass in them :eng101:

That...sounds painful. Why was there only the effect of cracking Styrofoam then?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Isn't it drywall? I wouldn't want my face shoved through drywall either.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I am really glad you showed off the special environmental kills at that last stage because I forgot to use a few of them.

...god this is one bittersweet ending, I mean I love this game and all but it pretty much ends like any drat good cop movie does. I mean, sure the story is a little clichéd on that front with the whole cop vs. gangster, the limits of one's force and the losses we must take and such.

But god drat is it fun as hell to play this. And I'm so glad I got into this game to enjoy that experience along with you guys.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Looking forward to the afterparty.

I guess they really wanted Sifu to talk things over with you at the end there, since all the jade statues were basically just sitting out in plot missions.

...which is weird that he never shows up in any of Wei's flashbacks.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
You know..it just came to me: Wei Shen is a little like Kenshiro from FotNs. Both are brilliant, nearly unbeatable Martial Artists, that are nice guys but have no problems with killing their enemies.
Also both seem to emit some kind of aura, that induces suicidal overconfidence in any punk or gang member they meet.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Any chance someone can make a mod to reskin Elizabeth to look like Wei?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
So, Pendrew kills one person, goes to prison for life, and it's morally fine that Wei's basically set him up to be killed by Triad members. Wei kills literally hundreds of people, and gets no prison time whatsoever. I guess because none of them happened in cutscenes, those are the only ones that matter, right? This ending really doesn't make me feel like Wei's a badass, it makes me feel like he's a video game protagonist who doesn't have to face the consequences of his actions. Even Jackie's death isn't shown as being really his fault; the 18K knew they were close and used one to get to the other, but it's never really put explicitly in terms of "This is my fault, this happened because of me." Which you think they would once he finds Jackie dead. Especially at the end where he just won't die, I basically had to turn my brain off. I mean how is the player supposed to feel like Wei's in any danger when he can shrug off a shotgun blast at point blank range to the chest?

It really feels to me like it goes too far at the end, which is a shame because I really like Sleeping Dogs and the story seems largely okay aside from that. That being said, I can't wait for the DLC videos!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I think it's because almost all of Wei's kills can be argued as self defense. Pendrew straight up murdered an old man in a hospital bed while admiting to literally decades of corruption.

Also, Wei kinda faces consequences in dlc I guess?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think it's because almost all of Wei's kills can be argued as self defense. Pendrew straight up murdered an old man in a hospital bed while admiting to literally decades of corruption.

Also, Wei kinda faces consequences in dlc I guess?

I'm not sure what the people Wei runs over while driving did to have that constitute self defense. And yes, he killed an old man... who was one of the most powerful Triad members, the leader of an entire Triad. As much as I think a lot of cultures try to make it out that all life is equal, that's just not something I personally buy. So him killing Uncle Po, while not exactly heroic, is something that I at least feel is not at all on the same level as killing hundreds of gangmembers and of course the non-plot related stuff like running over people in driving segments, etc. And when you're in a fistfight and just start doing clearly lethal finishers, it sort of feels like "well that escalated quickly."

Again, overall it seems like a really nice game, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself caring about Jackie, the guys in Winston's gang. But it feels like it sort of starts to buckle under its own weight a bit at the end, if that makes any sense?

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011

Shoeless posted:

I'm not sure what the people Wei runs over while driving did to have that constitute self defense. And yes, he killed an old man... who was one of the most powerful Triad members, the leader of an entire Triad. As much as I think a lot of cultures try to make it out that all life is equal, that's just not something I personally buy. So him killing Uncle Po, while not exactly heroic, is something that I at least feel is not at all on the same level as killing hundreds of gangmembers and of course the non-plot related stuff like running over people in driving segments, etc. And when you're in a fistfight and just start doing clearly lethal finishers, it sort of feels like "well that escalated quickly.

The way I see it, it's kinda like how in Resident Evil for example, you can get bitten hundreds+ of times, and never get infected or even injured - if it doesn't happen in a storyline cutscene, technically it's possible it never happened. I could go through an entire game killing only in self-defense (or even just knocking them out non-lethally), then the next playthrough kill literally everyone that enters my FOV... which reality is true in the game universe?

And personally, I feel Po's murder is even worse than the nameless mooks. Po might have been the head honcho, but it seemed like he was focused on traditional warfare between the gangs, i.e. fighting honourably, which would mean less innocent bystanders dying and collateral damage kept to a minimum (Po'd never attack a wedding or funeral, for example). Not to mention him dying suddenly without time to set up and train an heir properly to take over opened up a massive hole in the power structure that everyone started clamouring for, which basically escalated and accelerated everyone's agendas and made pretty much everybody desperate enough to do anything to take his place.

If he'd been around a while longer, Wei might've (there's a chance, however slim) been able to dissolve more of the Triads without having to fight huge swaths of them. Only a chance, but it's still better than NO chance with Po gone.

Plus, dude was laid up in a hospital bed, recovering from getting shot. The 'bangers Wei put down were perfectly healthy, on their feet, and able to defend themselves. Totally different situation.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

thetrueoskar posted:

The way I see it, it's kinda like how in Resident Evil for example, you can get bitten hundreds+ of times, and never get infected or even injured - if it doesn't happen in a storyline cutscene, technically it's possible it never happened. I could go through an entire game killing only in self-defense (or even just knocking them out non-lethally), then the next playthrough kill literally everyone that enters my FOV... which reality is true in the game universe?

And personally, I feel Po's murder is even worse than the nameless mooks. Po might have been the head honcho, but it seemed like he was focused on traditional warfare between the gangs, i.e. fighting honourably, which would mean less innocent bystanders dying and collateral damage kept to a minimum (Po'd never attack a wedding or funeral, for example). Not to mention him dying suddenly without time to set up and train an heir properly to take over opened up a massive hole in the power structure that everyone started clamouring for, which basically escalated and accelerated everyone's agendas and made pretty much everybody desperate enough to do anything to take his place.

If he'd been around a while longer, Wei might've (there's a chance, however slim) been able to dissolve more of the Triads without having to fight huge swaths of them. Only a chance, but it's still better than NO chance with Po gone.

Plus, dude was laid up in a hospital bed, recovering from getting shot. The 'bangers Wei put down were perfectly healthy, on their feet, and able to defend themselves. Totally different situation.

I disagree. They were able to defend themselves? Really? Come on, look me in the eye and say with a straight face that those guys totally posed a threat to the guy who can, in a cutscene, shrug off a shotgun blast at point blank range to the chest after being brutally tortured. Why does it matter that he was in bed? To say nothing of the fact that all the escalation caused by his death did result in Wei singlehandedly killing like, 2/3 of the entire Sun On Yee and leaving Jang in charge who seemed the most stable of the bunch. Seems like a decent end to me. Especially since, just because he wouldn't do something 'dishonorable' (BS, you're a Triad member, you've devoted your life to criminal activities, you lost the right to claim honor at the door) doesn't mean that he doesn't still arrange to shake down businesses, harass for protection money, let people take out loans with huge interests, and plenty of other scummy behavior. He might not have been a Sonny, but I don't believe that he's got a clean background that is undeserving of what he got.

If he'd been around a bit longer for a slim chance, yeah, maybe Wei could have done more. And Pendrew killing him may have resulted in the triads banding together in a moment of solidarity. And there's a slim chance Wei Shen would spontaneously combust. There's a slim chance of drat near anything and using what might have happened is rather foolish. Leaving Po alive might also have meant that the 18K decided the needed to really make a statement and start an all-out war with the Sun On Yee, leading to massive collateral damage and even more innocent lives lost. See? Just as valid as saying it might have been better if he'd not been killed.

As for the first point... just because other games do the same thing does not mean it is a good thing. Cutscenes and story being the only thing of import, separated by a massive impenetrable wall from gameplay is a bad thing, it is not a good design choice. And that's not to say that you should go all Bioware and have a quaint little good/bad meter that people react to, certainly not. But, and I think that Thornbrain and Travis mentioned this in the video on game sequels, that having no control over the characters actions means it's very hard to plan the story. A tale about the character being a good guy falls flat on its face if the open world nature of the game allows the player to play as a total rear end in a top hat the entire time. And even if you accept that only cutscenes matter, the cutscenes are still BS in showing Wei getting tortured, shotwith a shotgun, etc and just walking it right off.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Wei Shenpai

This is gloriously ridiculous. I recommend watching the edited version to at least hear the intro music.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Who's the man with badass new outfits we didn't get to see?

Wei Shen!

ares5566
Dec 14, 2012

I guess you're not doing wheel's of fury?

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
You can actually go back to the island after finishing the DLC. I had to do it myself because I missed a couple of statues. They even mark the missing ones on the map if you set it to only show collectibles.

EDIT: Also, gently caress that arena mission. It took me so many tries to beat because they literally don't give you any room for error with how fast the spiked ceiling moves.

EDIT 2: And now that I've found out you did show you can come back, I dunno why I bothered.

slycooper20 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 29, 2014

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat
Sleeping Dogs and the DLC pack are 75% off on the Humble Store. Make sure you follow this guide to turn off the garbage DLCs (Red Envelope, Top Dog Gold, Top Dog Silver and maybe High Roller).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. For a second there, I thought they were going to pull the old "it was all a drug trip" ending. Guess not!

ares5566
Dec 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVnY4F7ftOE

Seems the game is getting an hd re-release. Because that's the thing to do now.

Mister Xenophobe
Feb 2, 2008

ares5566 posted:

I'm just happy that they're doing this for a good game, and not just an overwhelmingly popular game, especially if this leads to a sequel.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

ares5566 posted:

looking at this all i can think is sleeping dogs movie.

this is not a bad thing, mind you.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mister Xenophobe posted:

I'm just happy that they're doing this for a good game, and not just an overwhelmingly popular game, especially if this leads to a sequel.

They're already working on a sequel, though all we know about it is it's title, Sleeping Dogs: Triad Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ares5566 posted:

I think it's so developers can get used to coding on the new consoles. And also because I unno, people will play the same game again if it looks better. Look at Wind Waker.

• Locked thread