Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
It supposedly did finish processing before I made it public. If it hasn't caught up by tomorrow I'll re-upload it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

ThornBrain posted:

It supposedly did finish processing before I made it public. If it hasn't caught up by tomorrow I'll re-upload it.

It's good now.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
This is pretty cool so f- Wait a minute. That tazer streak announcement says 'Guilty Spark'. :cripes: That's... kind of clever.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
You guys have me busting up. All I can say is -

StrawhatYES!

(Seriously, what;s the story behind that name?)

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Samizdata posted:

You guys have me busting up. All I can say is -

StrawhatYES!

(Seriously, what;s the story behind that name?)

The Mugiwara in Yoshi's username means "straw hat" in Japanese (he's a One Piece fan). He made a YouTube account with the name, but the registration page arsed up, and he had to make another one that he called MugiwaranoYoshi. We started our LP channel and couldn't think of a name, so we played around with Mugiwarano and came up with StrawhatNO. It was so nonsensical that we had to use it.

Blizdi
Aug 26, 2014

ThornBrain posted:

The Mugiwara in Yoshi's username means "straw hat" in Japanese (he's a One Piece fan). He made a YouTube account with the name, but the registration page arsed up, and he had to make another one that he called MugiwaranoYoshi. We started our LP channel and couldn't think of a name, so we played around with Mugiwarano and came up with StrawhatNO. It was so nonsensical that we had to use it.

I did not expect this story to be as interesting as it was. My username's origin isn't nearly as clever...

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Blizdi posted:

I did not expect this story to be as interesting as it was. My username's origin isn't nearly as clever...

I don't even remember what my username is supposed to mean anymore.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Don't worry guys. Our individual usernames aren't interesting either. Mine is literally just something I thought up because I wanted a weird username.

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:
One could note that Travis' username isn't even used, so what's that say about it?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ThornBrain posted:

Ahhhhhh. Good story. (Although I have never watched One Piece...)

FWIW, mine is based on a Russian term. Samizdat was the term for the self-published underground newspapers that were critical of the ex-Soviet Union. I used to do my own webhosting/email hosting from home, and I needed a snappy domain name. (Well, actually I stole it from a Gibson short story, but, shhhhhhhhh...) I liked it and stuck with it. And no, I have NOTHING to do with any British libertarian blogs, either. Odds are, if you run into an American Samizdata some place there's a pretty good chance it is me.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Actually I am really liking this cop thing you've got going on. Arrests and putting people in the back of squad cars and such.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Wei Shen: Jungle Cat

Thus concludes our LP of Sleeping Dogs. Stay tuned for more Bioshock Infinite, as well as Punch-Out and Wind Waker very soon. Travis has already made headway into his two next LPs for after Infinite, but we're gonna wait until it's finished before continuing on to them.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
As much as I dug Wheels of Fury, I'm glad you showed as much as you did and thanks for really enjoying one of my favourite games (and certainly my favourite of the GTA likes) ever. :allears: I look forward to more Bioshock Infinite now, I've loved you guys since your Twilight Princess playthrough.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I thought about that Let's Play and laughed... Like a gibbon on crack...

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

I'm glad you guys enjoyed me being a Cop/Doctor/Winston/Date Master/Jungle Cat! One thing I know for sure is that when the sequel comes out (and I get a new console), I'm all over that! Like a Siamese sloth with a god complex!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Wei Shen: Ex-Cop

That...was pretty loving awesome, thank you so much for that guys. It was pretty :krad: and I loved every second of it. You only made the game so much better to enjoy overall and I didn't even think it possible, but you did.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I kind of liked this "pure cop" DLC in its own way. Actually arresting people and following up on leads and suchlike.

...it would be kind of hilarious if this supposed doomsday cult was just smuggling in a bunch of unlicensed fireworks to "turn night into day" or whatever, but I suppose that doesn't fit well with them playing it straight. Well, as straight as a car bomb jumping into the river will let you play, anyhow.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I love that moment with the guitar because my first time through I somehow accidentally aggroed everyone in the bar (I think I punched something in the basement for some reason, I'm pretty sure I was well out of sight too), so this really beautiful and poignant moment was immediately followed by Booker slaughtering a half dozen men so hard their heads exploded. :allears:

Also I'm still a little confused that the "Will the Circle be Unbroken" song cuts out the word lord (ie "By and by Lord, By and By/ In the Sky Lord in the Sky). I mean it's an obviously religious song in an obviously religious setting and cutting it is really jarring because it makes the song flow less smoothly. It just seems like a really weird omission- they did it in a trailer too but I figured it was just for marketing purposes.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

ManlyGrunting posted:

I love that moment with the guitar because my first time through I somehow accidentally aggroed everyone in the bar (I think I punched something in the basement for some reason, I'm pretty sure I was well out of sight too), so this really beautiful and poignant moment was immediately followed by Booker slaughtering a half dozen men so hard their heads exploded. :allears:

Also I'm still a little confused that the "Will the Circle be Unbroken" song cuts out the word lord (ie "By and by Lord, By and By/ In the Sky Lord in the Sky). I mean it's an obviously religious song in an obviously religious setting and cutting it is really jarring because it makes the song flow less smoothly. It just seems like a really weird omission- they did it in a trailer too but I figured it was just for marketing purposes.

The same song is being played by the chorus in the beginning section and I seem to recall they included the 'Lord' part there, so maybe Elizabeth just isn't feeling very pious at the moment?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I can't remember if I briefed everyone on this, so I'll go ahead with it anyway: the intended format of this LP has changed. We originally planned to have two versions of each video: voice-commentated and subtitled, but we failed to actually hold onto the raw footage to do the subbed versions :v:, so we're just sticking with the full-length commentary from hereon-out.
If you would still prefer a quieter LP that better emphasizes Infinite's atmosphere, I recommend Sundowner's recently finished one. The playlist is incomplete, but all of the parts are up on his channel.

On that same note, Travis' upcoming LP of The Last of Us will also have full-commentary versions, but rather than do subbed or edited-comm versions, I'm just going to upload the raws with them.

I'm also waiting on Travis' opinion on changing the thread title to focus on just Infinite, since Sleeping Dogs is long finished. Just a heads up in case you lose track of the thread for whatever reason.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I like the way Elizabeth's views transgress towards supporting the Vox during this and not in an obvious way, and theeeeen it starts to slide back again in the next vid for certain reasons. I do however wanna ask the StrawhatNO, which version of Tainted Love do you prefer? Soft Cell or Marilyn Manson?

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
This is about when the game started to lose its appeal for me; the fights just drag on too long. New thread title is brilliant though.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time for some Scooby Doodoo.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Woo, I'm the first viewer on the video!

Athough christ, an hour long? I don't think I even have that much time at the moment. :(

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
As much as I would laugh to hear an old timey cover of a Beastie Boys song, it's the Beach Boys.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

slycooper20 posted:

As much as I would laugh to hear an old timey cover of a Beastie Boys song, it's the Beach Boys.
Momma don' crack down onto her ba-BACK
I don' know what you don't know ja-JACK
Better run home 'fore you get the sa-SACK
Intergalactic PLANETARY

And then you have these three Irish guys in barbershop outfits just steppin' off at the town square, with the Luteces beatboxing in the background.

...someone please draw this

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Everyone knows the best barbershop quartet is Limp Bizkit.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

MelvinBison posted:

Everyone knows the best barbershop quartet is Limp Bizkit.
Scuse me I think you mean the Limp Briskets coming atcha live from Little Minnesota just east of Comstock Drive!

On the note of the video, I have NEVER ever found Return To Sender so holy poo poo I cannot believe this thing looks awesome :stare: also this segment I on the one hand really love for the story but also I really hate for the gameplay because that first part with the Handyman was the loving worst.

Truthfully though, in terms of pure design and audio, I love the ghost part because the audio is pretty loving messed up to hear.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 20, 2014

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

One of the more "holy poo poo" parts of the game until the DLC.

One more part before the main game is complete, followed by four fairly long parts of Burial at Sea. Strap in. poo poo goes industrial strength crazy from hereon out.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Ergh... I'm a naturally empathetic person, and I hate listening to suffering and screaming. (Even if in some games I delight in causing it) so this whole sequence was uncomfortable enough to where I didn't really comprehend everything that was happening.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Wouldn't Undertow be stupid-useful on that gunship fight?

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
I don't think I get it; so Future Elizabeth went crazy and then stopped being crazy long enough to help Booker prevent Present Elizabeth from going crazy and now Future Elizabeth has now presumably gone back to being crazy because she's from an alternate timeline and it's too late for her even though based on her actions, she can stop being crazy, torturing people and bombing the US at any time.
:suicide:

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

MelvinBison posted:

I don't think I get it; so Future Elizabeth went crazy and then stopped being crazy long enough to help Booker prevent Present Elizabeth from going crazy and now Future Elizabeth has now presumably gone back to being crazy because she's from an alternate timeline and it's too late for her even though based on her actions, she can stop being crazy, torturing people and bombing the US at any time.

and it gets even worse :unsmigghh:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Not surprised Elizabeth isn't really fazed by the spinal tap. Remember when you were shooting rockets and bullets through her like it weren't no thing?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

MelvinBison posted:

She says specifically that her followers (after being fed rhetoric and wound up for decades (the ticker in New York read 1983!)) couldn't be told to stand down/wouldn't listen to her. Look at the re-education center you just passed through--Comstock and Future Elizabeth created a machine of institutional zealotry that had no "off" button, so even when she had a moment of clarity/sanity, there was nothing to be done in the present.

Which makes certain RL political movements lifting Columbia propaganda pieces even more :stonklol:, but I'll just leave it at that.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

OAquinas posted:

She says specifically that her followers (after being fed rhetoric and wound up for decades (the ticker in New York read 1983!)) couldn't be told to stand down/wouldn't listen to her. Look at the re-education center you just passed through--Comstock and Future Elizabeth created a machine of institutional zealotry that had no "off" button, so even when she had a moment of clarity/sanity, there was nothing to be done in the present.

Which makes certain RL political movements lifting Columbia propaganda pieces even more :stonklol:, but I'll just leave it at that.

That explained a lot. Thank you.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

I found bucking bronco to so useful in the airship battle. Nothing better than punching people off the ship so they fall to their death.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Okay, I think I'm a bit confused about the Vox showing up. So you go through snow dimension, home of the zombie Franklin masks and meet older Elizabeth, who then punts you back to somewhere around six months into the whole torture thing where you rescue Elizabeth. But you're in a timeline where the Vox had won, assuming that you're right back in the last dimension you were in before the whole old Elizabeth falderal. But despite that you're in a place which very clearly Founder-owned, which I could buy being the last real stronghold of the founders maybe but I don't know: the wall-o-scalps seemed to make it pretty clear that the Vox have all but won, so there being such a founder presence still seems weird, especially since the Vox are still getting in without much trouble. I guess it could be dimension number two where they're on more or less equal terms, but this is six months after the uprising and :psyduck:

I don't know, I guess I could use a bit more context but six months after the uprising it seems to me that there aren't going to be airship skirmishes one way or the other, since victory is pretty decisive either way. Maybe the Vox are still a thing but directionless after the death of Fitzroy. It just seems so incredibly weird that this thing that the game made a huge deal about for about half the game still has a presence without any sort of clue as to how it's doing or even which dimension we're in.

I like this game a lot but the more I try to make sense of it the more it seems to fall apart :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

ManlyGrunting posted:

Okay, I think I'm a bit confused about the Vox showing up. So you go through snow dimension, home of the zombie Franklin masks and meet older Elizabeth, who then punts you back to somewhere around six months into the whole torture thing where you rescue Elizabeth. But you're in a timeline where the Vox had won, assuming that you're right back in the last dimension you were in before the whole old Elizabeth falderal. But despite that you're in a place which very clearly Founder-owned, which I could buy being the last real stronghold of the founders maybe but I don't know: the wall-o-scalps seemed to make it pretty clear that the Vox have all but won, so there being such a founder presence still seems weird, especially since the Vox are still getting in without much trouble. I guess it could be dimension number two where they're on more or less equal terms, but this is six months after the uprising and :psyduck:

I don't know, I guess I could use a bit more context but six months after the uprising it seems to me that there aren't going to be airship skirmishes one way or the other, since victory is pretty decisive either way. Maybe the Vox are still a thing but directionless after the death of Fitzroy. It just seems so incredibly weird that this thing that the game made a huge deal about for about half the game still has a presence without any sort of clue as to how it's doing or even which dimension we're in.

I like this game a lot but the more I try to make sense of it the more it seems to fall apart :(

Well, if it helps she might not have punted you back into the reality you came from. Infinite worlds, etc etc--uprising might have been less decisive or somewhat delayed. Or it could be that the devs just shrugged and just started throwing random badguys at you because why not and we're shipping in a month.

• Locked thread