Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
You know, you joked about Washington and Franklin having a fight at the bop?

That actually happened.

quote:

In 1787, two days before they signed off on the Constitution, the 55 delegates to the Constitutional Convention partied at a tavern. According to the bill preserved from the evening, they drank 54 bottles of Madeira, 60 bottles of claret, eight of whiskey, 22 of porter, eight of hard cider, 12 of beer and seven bowls of alcoholic punch.
The innkeeper also added a 2% fee for damages made to the pub during the night, all of which added up to a whopping huge £90 of their tab. poo poo that was pricey for back then.

And yeah this...this whole segment just got really really disturbing for me, but I understood it running through it and was kinda glad to have something a lot more Bioshock-y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The only difference between "intervene" and "murder" is how you spell it.

Thus completes the main LP of Bioshock Infinite. Burial at Sea will start next week, and it will be four parts total: two parts for each of the two episodes. I'm going to go ahead and upload both parts of each episode together, and if people want I can also upload the raw, uncommentated video.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Well I'm super-glad to see the end of the game, now I can't wait to see Burial At Sea since I never played at. I really shoulda used more crows in my playing through this game, those are drat useful.

Though to be honest I really hate that last part of the game since...ahhh I guess I've just been spoiled on final bosses so much that it was SLIGHTLY bit of a letdown and also super-annoying.
Even though you DO get the best loving "weapon" in the whole game for this :haw:

Did you notice the uh stone reliefs around the "siphon" when you first entered the inner sanctum? Interesting predictions one might say. I'm one of those people who genuinely loved the ending and was just absolutely blown away by it. I really liked it, but I also see why people DON'T like it, because to me this game seems to try to do too much in a story, and it gets kinda confused on itself.

It's still a great concept I love, but we could have dropped one or two threads and made the whole thing a lot more streamlined in general.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Whee.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I have been waiting literally months to post this.

e: Oui

e2: The more I think about it, the whole ingame "you can't go on until you do this thing" has a sort of fate element to it in that people are bound by their nature and will do certain things and react certain ways because that's how they are: there is a very similar theme in NieR for example (because what's he going to do, NOT rescue his daughter?). Of course if you apply that concept of causality to American Imperialism, things get sort of icky; the idea that American atrocities happen because there was a certain degree of eventuality to it is sort of uncomfortably fatalistic to me. Of course the whole constants and variables might have some sort of link between massive movements and societal actions versus individual choice: the constants are things that are inevitable and it's up to you to choose about your own actions, which can really matter (the actions at Wounded Knee, or Fitzroy deciding right then that a Founder child had to die). That's about the closest I can figure to a cohesive whole to all these games themes frankly, since most people have a really weird and dumb habit of flat out ignoring the American Exceptionalism that is so prevalent in the first third or so of the game (and kind of the Vox bits because it was sort of inevitable that there would be some lashing out against a system that disenfranchised and exploited the working class so). Frankly the quantum stuff is sort of the least interesting stuff about the game, a means to a theme at best and an unnecessary complication at worst.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 2, 2014

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
The 'coin always landing on heads' thing might be a reference to the opening of "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" where the former character has the same thing happen to him and realizes something is wrong with reality.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Robert Denby posted:

The 'coin always landing on heads' thing might be a reference to the opening of "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" where the former character has the same thing happen to him and realizes something is wrong with reality.
.....shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit NOW I understand the coin thing fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :stare:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
:stare:

Question: Did you guys go completely insane during the end of this update? The extra commentary at the end made it seem like you did.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm kind of surprised you thought that BAS Episode 2 is better than Episode 1. Parts of it were better, yes, but the ending is just so... it twists the timelines into a pretzel to make a very stupid point that they'd like to make you think is very poignant.

And that one scene.... :gonk:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
So, I guess its a nice twist, but... why? Why is she going through all this trouble? If she wants to kill him, there's plenty of chances beforehand. I mean, even a bit of malice, there's surely simpler ways of getting him to remember. This all seems very unnecessary.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

There really isn't a good reason. Though BAS2 tries to explain it in various ways.

xxarmageddonxx
May 17, 2012

Drakenel posted:

So, I guess its a nice twist, but... why? Why is she going through all this trouble? If she wants to kill him, there's plenty of chances beforehand. I mean, even a bit of malice, there's surely simpler ways of getting him to remember. This all seems very unnecessary.

I want to say the events of Bio:Inf made her want to hate the man. And she never got to kill Comstock in the first place (Booker had done so with the whole drowning/bashing of the head). She does say and it's too early to remember which part you can re-watch it, but she does explicitly state she wants to kill him, and Booker says he'll do it (I believe it's post return from the 80s where he finally gets past Songbird and prevents the draining of her powers).

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I'm almost impressed by how stupid that ending was.

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
You know, after seeing all of the Bioshock games, it made me realize that they really had a hard-on for the "Hero Dies" trope. Every character you play as (outside of Bioshock 2's Minerva's Den DLC) dies at the end of the game.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I have to say, lot of dumbass enemies here wearing boxes on their heads.

I guess you could say they're the Box Populi :v:

also WHAAAAAAAAT

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT
:stonk:

Holy gently caress she is just becoming the mighty ERASER jesus gently caress this is really messed up! But thanks for the explanation at the end of that vid I actually kinda wasn't sure about what happened until that horrifying explanation. How the gently caress can it follow up from that, I mean WHO are we playing as!?

Edit: \/\/ Yeah please because holy gently caress I really wanna know what poo poo comes next. How do you top THAT in mindfuckery?!

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 10, 2014

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Let's avoid spoilers for Episode 2 altogether, everyone. A lot of us have played Infinite, but not all of us have played the DLC.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

ThornBrain posted:

Let's avoid spoilers for Episode 2 altogether, everyone. A lot of us have played Infinite, but not all of us have played the DLC.

Lucky bastards.

xxarmageddonxx
May 17, 2012

slycooper20 posted:

You know, after seeing all of the Bioshock games, it made me realize that they really had a hard-on for the "Hero Dies" trope. Every character you play as (outside of Bioshock 2's Minerva's Den DLC) dies at the end of the game.

Does Bioshock 1 really count though if you choose the good ending? Cause I mean it's natural causes, no?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

slycooper20 posted:

I don't think the first Bioshock ended with an "and then you died right there". More like "years later on your deathbed, you see the world you made".

Though really I wonder what they're going to do for an encore in this DLC.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Since I can't talk about BAS2, I will say that I really did enjoy BAS1, the 'vigor' plasmids and the heat ray give just enough new interesting stuff and it's fun to mess around in a pre-civil-war Rapture.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 11, 2014

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
I really don't like games/shows where the protagonist (and basicly all main characters) die. ESPECIALLY, if it's just for some bogus reason, or to "make a point".

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT

Glazius posted:

I don't think the first Bioshock ended with an "and then you died right there". More like "years later on your deathbed, you see the world you made".

Though really I wonder what they're going to do for an encore in this DLC.

Yeah, that's true. My point still stands, though.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Thus concludes Bioshock Infinite and the thread. Thanks everyone for watching, and we'll see you in The Last of Us.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
A part of me is sad that Booker isn't just the Simpsons space coyote with Troy Baker's voice.
"I'm just a memory Elizabeth. I can't give you any new information."

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
King and Guitar guy need to cut a demo together. They could call it: "The King and Pie."

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Andrew Ryan's original voice actor die? This version of Ryan sounds really different to the original.

EDIT: Never mind, he's still alive. Honestly, he still sounds kind of different, though.

slycooper20 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 16, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Nice work. Just a point--the Peeping Tom upgrade you get in Fontaine's restaurant isn't a duplicate--it removes EVE use for stationary invisibility, while the other upgrade removed it from the see-through-walls bit. So it's well worth the trip to get it earlier.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Good LP, I do sort of like the gameplay in BAS2, though it took me about an hour and a half to get used to the stealth gameplay and stop dying, a lot.

I'm not a fan of the ending because for an omnipotent being Elizabeth is amazingly stupid. To save one girl she sacrifices her life and immortality, provides Suchong with the means to make Big Daddies, gives Atlas the WYK code which consigns Jack to the life of a puppet, and escalates the rapture cold war into a very hot one. She's directly or indirectly responsible for the deaths of thousands just to save one girl.

On top of the fact that she somehow manages to die as an omniscient godling in the first place.

The Whole thing with Daisy was just them clumsily trying to explain away the fact that she went from "Freedom from oppressors" to "paint our faces with their blood". It works but it would work better if it came in the main game instead of the DLC.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
And Bioshock's bad ending ruins everything that Elizabeth has done over the course of the DLC !
Thanks for the videos, I didn't play BaS myself, but I was curious about it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Good LP, I do sort of like the gameplay in BAS2, though it took me about an hour and a half to get used to the stealth gameplay and stop dying, a lot.

I'm not a fan of the ending because for an omnipotent being Elizabeth is amazingly stupid. To save one girl she sacrifices her life and immortality, provides Suchong with the means to make Big Daddies, gives Atlas the WYK code which consigns Jack to the life of a puppet, and escalates the rapture cold war into a very hot one. She's directly or indirectly responsible for the deaths of thousands just to save one girl.

On top of the fact that she somehow manages to die as an omniscient godling in the first place.

The Whole thing with Daisy was just them clumsily trying to explain away the fact that she went from "Freedom from oppressors" to "paint our faces with their blood". It works but it would work better if it came in the main game instead of the DLC.

I'm totally lost on how she's so weak in the first place. We don't have a shield, okay, you probably don't wanna get into a prolonged gunfight with anyone. But... We're using guns. How are guns suddenly much less effective in Elizabeth's hands?

I mean, I knew that it had to happen because there's no loving way you'd be allowed to play as her normally when she's so ridiculously powerful compared to Booker but I'm still not a fan of it.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
I definitely wouldn't buy BaS for the horrible torture, but it very effectively tied up all the loose threads.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

RareAcumen posted:

How are guns suddenly much less effective in Elizabeth's hands?

She didn't have as much practice as Booker.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

As much as I love timelines crossing over each other I think the only thing I really loved from episode 2

was getting to meet Suchong. That was the loving best and I am so glad we got to see that played before us, gently caress that rear end in a top hat. gently caress him to hell. :)

I'm rather torn on the part with Daisy though, on the one hand I kinda liked how she was just the other side of the coin to Fink but now that I know this backstory...well...a part of me's GLAD that she wasn't as bad as we suspected in the end but on the other hand...it feels kind of retconish and that don't sit right with me.
I dunno I'm mixed on that, I don't hate it or like it. The torture scene was inventive though, got me pretty nervous and hurting.
As for the entirety of BioShock making a loop of itself...well...I feel like all they did was add another layer to everything but nothing's actually changed frankly.
Things happened in BioShock 1 because they were planned. Now I find out that things happened because someone ELSE planned it so...what's changed at all? Only the players really.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 18, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

FinalGamer posted:

That was the loving best and I am so glad we got to see that played before us, gently caress that rear end in a top hat. gently caress him to hell. :)

You know, I always figured that Suchong either didn't know he'd actually succeeded or Tenenbaum did something behind his back. And... I suppose the first is true, just not in the way I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I can't make it through the rest of Bioshock infinite but thank you for doing it and the DLC. The DLC looks loving awesome.

• Locked thread