Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I love the saint-izing (sanitizing? Though that's still applicable in another sense) of the Founding Fathers by Comstock and Colombia in Bioshock:I. Mainly I love how Washington is seen after the baptism as holding a sword. Washington was a horrible general. He won very few battles, it's just that the ones he won were critical. What he was good at was rallying a country and keeping a rag-tag army together, even through retreats. He was also unbelievably lucky at times. The crossing of the Delaware to attack the Hessian camp? It succeeded because the leader of the Hessians was too busy playing poker to read his scout's report and stuck it in his pocket.

A great leader that could get men to follow him no matter how bad things were? Yes. A political Titan in his time after the revolution? Yes. A great military mind? At best he was competent and extremely lucky in the right places. The man wasn't an idiot but he was no Alexander or Caesar.

Edit: I really should finish the video before commenting. Thorn basically touched on it that these people are obviously blatantly missing the point of what the Founding Fathers worked for and wanted and re-writing them to back up their own twisted worldview.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I believe the word you are looking for is Canonizing.

Also, look at how they revere Franklin, who was pretty much a drunken poonhound, who is completely at odds with their values.

Man loved French MILFs, that's for sure. Also, however helpful the knowledge gained was towards our understanding of electricity, I have a hard time revering someone who went out and flew a kite near a thunderstorm as a bringer of knowledge. That's the kind of activity that earns you the nickname "Charcoal Briquette".

• Locked thread